[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright lads give me the lowdown. Am I going to need a degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: 1428725239481.png (2 MB, 1280x1700) Image search: [Google]
1428725239481.png
2 MB, 1280x1700
Alright lads give me the lowdown.

Am I going to need a degree if I want to work in the entertainment industry doing art?
>>
What do you think?
>>
No. You need a good portfolio. Still do get a good degree for when you give up and find yourself starving in the streets though.

Art as a career is not a choice for most people as it is right now. We already have enough good artists and they themselves don't get paid much.
>>
If by art you mean illustration, as in illustrator/concept artist for the entertainment industry, probably not. If I art you mean whats academically accepted as art nowdays globally, then your chances are probably bigger with a degree unless youre loaded, very charming or are close with somebody with contacts.
>>
>>2274931
Are you unable to read? Yeah, he probably meant "globally academically accepted art".

Which is why he wrote:
>Am I going to need a degree if I want to work in the entertainment industry doing art?
>>
>>2274931
>>2274941
>>2274930

The reason I'm asking is I currently have a foundation degree, and would need to go to another university to top it up to a BA, but one issue is the debt and another is I none of the places in my country feel like I'd actually learn anything decent. I'd literally be going for the piece of paper - I mainly wanted to know if I can get by with a decent portfolio and some networking dickery
>>
>>2274922
If you're coming to IC for advice you're already doomed. No one this board knows shit, they're all <18. They have no work or life experience in or outside of art.

But to answer your question, no you don't. Unless you're from outside the US and looking to work inside the US than a degree will help you get a visa. Other than that no one gives a shit.

It's 100% all about your work, what the company is hiring you for. No one gives a shit what amazeballs school you went to if your work is dog shit.
>>
>>2274922
No. And anyone who tells you otherwise is still studying.
>>
>>2274951
>hurr durr if you come to /ic/ for advice you're already doomed cuz no one but me knows shit about anything
>now let me tell you exactly the same thing that everyone on /ic/ keeps saying whenever this topic comes up

You must be one special kind of retard.
>>
>>2274972
>>2275008
>>2274951

Alright cheers lads. I'll work on not being shit until some idiot actually hires me.
>>
Yes
gubbermint likes for you to have a degree to give you a visa to go work for these companies

However you will only be going to the school to get the degree, any learning is your own game because 90% of the art schools in the world teach you to be a retarded hack
>>
>>2274922
Why is he so good guys
>>
File: 1439962048801.png (2 MB, 1300x7472) Image search: [Google]
1439962048801.png
2 MB, 1300x7472
>>
Some people who are hiring require it:
>I’ve hired quite a few full-time book designers and interns, and in every case, I’ve asked for a degree. Designers with a formal education are simply better suited to fill the needs of a children’s book art department.
Source: http://www.gcastellano.com/arttips/2015/4/20/no-go-to-art-school

Go for it, OP.
>>
While there are some situations where a degree helps, art school is more about the connections you make. There are many schools that provide a premium education with great networking opportunities but do so only at an astronomical price that many working artists will find difficult to pay back in a timely manner. Calarts for example is over $40,000 a year if I recall correctly. I would suggest never attending an art college if your work isn't good enough already to earn a substantial scholarship-and you can certainly get to that point 'alone'.
>>
>>2275091
>posting examples of fine art as an example of why illustration and animation courses are bad
thats specially braindead anon

>>2275068
did you miss the part where silver and his friends make money by charging for parttime internet courses, almost all taken by people who need them because they dont go to art school? you're buying into a different kind of stupid not leaving the system.
>>
>>2275095
That Williams image is about the shortage of art schools that emphasize anything other than being a bloviating pedant/studio art welfare queen and is a call for artists to scrutinize the school they do decide to attend. Too many young earnest artists get dragged into attending the wrong school for various reasons and it's imperative that they're made to be aware of the peril in that.

As for Silver, he earned enough money working for large companies like nickelodeon, and cartoon network that he was able to open his own atelier (looks like an old boxing gym)with only a highschool education-which he only did about two years ago. That, as well as the other anecdotes, are what that image is about. What are you even getting at?
>>
>>2275111
He only opened his atelier two years ago, I mean
>>
>>2275111
that williams quote is referring to 60s schools. in england. it's dishonest to pretend it is referring to current schools, because im guessing you have no clue nor do you particularly care what williams thinks of schools today

im getting at the fact that this 'i dont need formal schooling like all you sheep, im a trailblazing rebel who gets there with hard work none can equal(despite dicking around on nippon message boards instead of working)' gimmick is something he is profiting off so of course he will encourage it. noah bradley went to two art schools ffs, he is not an authority on if you can make it without art skool because how the fuck would he know

can you make it without art school? yeah. but you do not blindly trust people who profit off your shared opinions. and this board does nothing but lap up the bullshit of anyone who validates their no-school view. looking at their complete 180 on how they felt about bradley should tell you that.
>>
>>2275187
Bradley went to RISD and dropped out, completing his credits at a community college instead. He attests to his degree not coming up often, if ever, as does Cearley, as does Silver; Noah Bradley's rant was reblogged by LeSean Thomas as well. Did Noah write that blog after he started teaching? He references gnomon, Watts Atelier, advocates visiting museums and taking figure drawing classes. Not once in that rant (https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/dont-go-to-art-school-138c5efd45e9) does he say you should study from him directly, nor does Silver who has advocated self-teaching on his youtube channel for years.

>can you make it without art school? yeah. but you do not blindly trust people who profit off your shared opinions

You're right, instead of blindly trusting working artists we should blindly trust the universities that put thousands and thousands of young people in a debt they may never recover from each year, and whom need to perpetuate this contrivance to stay profitable

shaking my head to be honest, family
>>
>>2274922
>work in the entertainment industry doing art?
Go to a company, talk to the artists there. There's plenty of jobs if you are willing to learn what's needed. Degree's benefit, mostly out of social aspect.

Chances are any advice you find here will be second or third hand advice from a specific type of illustrators or concept artists. The industry is much more than these few people that keeps getting quoted around here.
>>
File: 1446729057909s.jpg (36 KB, 610x574) Image search: [Google]
1446729057909s.jpg
36 KB, 610x574
>>2274922
how do you even renders something like this fuck
i gave my best shot
>>
>>2275396
You forgot the filters and chromatic aberration.
>>
>>2275396

>Define the shapes
>High contrast ambient light
>Cool, low contrast direct light
>Warm reflected light
>Very warm secondary soft light

Easy to understand, hard to put into practice.
>>
>>2275396
While it may look otherwise, there is a very light blue in the hair.
>>
>>2275396

It's just like rendering a sphere really.
>>
>>2275430
>draw the rest of the owl
>>
>>2275430
oh yea you think its that simple? try drawing the princess with a box shaped hair and a slight change in perspective but with the same level of rendering cunt
>>
>>2275089
So he supposedly asks for a degree 'every time' and then goes on to make a sweeping generalization about people he knows nothing about and has no experience working with?

Good thing not everybody is this retarded.
>>
>>2275435
>>2275440

Seriously? I don't see a reason to be a dick, I'm just being honest.

It's a sphere with bounce light, that's it. Set some still life and paint it, that should help you guys.
>>
File: 2015 11 05.png (986 KB, 993x581) Image search: [Google]
2015 11 05.png
986 KB, 993x581
>tfw I'm too lazy to use textured brushes or polish my study
At least I tried.
>>
>>2275435
>>2275440
lmao it literally is a sphere guys, it doesn't get simpler than this
>>
>>2275435
>>2275440
lmao its literally pixels in a computer guys, it doesn't get simpler than this
>>
>>2275491
Now it looks like shit, and you lost the texture of the gum hair
>>
>>2275491
now youre literally tracing it
adjust the shape of your study to better understand the things thats going otherwise you wont learn anything
>>
>>2275491
idk man his colors were more vivid and the edges are better. you just made a pink turd
>>
>>2275536
>you just made a pink turd
well, at least he captured the spirit of the original
>>
>>2274922
No you don't. If you can't afford it, don't do it.
>>
i will bump this fäm
>>
>>2274922
I'm thinking of doing a degree for the sake of begin able to work abroad. I want to work in the entertainment industry but I have no idea what course to choose.
Should I do something direct such as concept art or game art?
Or should I do something that would give a chance of a backup plan, such as industrial or product design?
>>
File: 1437072203191.jpg (62 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1437072203191.jpg
62 KB, 640x360
Will a degree in animation help, or at the least putting more time into practicing and studying would be worth it?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.