[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What pen Da Vinci used to create drawings like pic related? How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: da vinci shoulderandneck3.jpg (332 KB, 889x1321) Image search: [Google]
da vinci shoulderandneck3.jpg
332 KB, 889x1321
What pen Da Vinci used to create drawings like pic related? How he and other artists were able to obtain such slim lines with ink, such thin traces? I am using a 0,4 millimeter pen and yet the trace is not that thin.

So, what tools did Leonardo used the most in his notebooks (I know that sepia ink is the thing responsible for that brownish-red color, but what pens), and what are the best drawing pens I can buy for a reasonable price today (pens with a very slim line)?
>>
>>2274071
Did he not use a Staedtler 0.05 mm Pigment Liner?
>>
>>2274071
They used something called a silverpoint stylus back then.
>>
basic hard round, it's all you'll ever need
>>
>>2274071
Pretty sure it was a cintiq
>>
>>2274071

Apple Pencil
>>
>>2274071
>and what are the best drawing pens I can buy for a reasonable price today (pens with a very slim line)?

maybe one like he is using?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpnWYoQerag
>>
>>2274071
Silverpoint.
>>
>>2274111

Yes, he used a lot, but not on the OP pic and on his notebooks: those were mostly pen with sepia ink. I just dont know what kind of pen they used: I presume it was not the same kind that normal people used to write: those pens might be simpler.
>>
>>2274079
Neat. Thank you. I never knew that, so I just nerded out on the general process.

>>2274071
He used either a very thin silver wire in a holder or a metal stylus with silver tips to draw on a parchment treated with some form of gesso and roughed up to a degree that the silver left deposits in the lines. Then after several months the silver tarnished and the lines appeared dark.
>>
>>2274118
That shit sounds expensive
>>
>>2274118

that pic is not silver point, is sepia ink
>>
the modern equivalent would be dip pens. they might have used quill pens or some type of personalized wood pen like a reed pen. just get it to a very sharp point.
>>
>>2274182

this

>>2274182
>just get it to a very sharp point.

Any suggestion for very thin-line pens, for example the ones they use in building-drawings?
>>
File: howabout.jpg (17 KB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
howabout.jpg
17 KB, 360x203
Just use bigger paper
>>
>>2274138
the best tools for the best artist
>>
File: Sistine_chapel.jpg (153 KB, 434x640) Image search: [Google]
Sistine_chapel.jpg
153 KB, 434x640
>>2274071

Did Leonardo da Vinci ever saw the Sistine Chapel ceiling or heard about what Michelangelo had achieved? What was his opinion (if he saw the work or heard about it?)
>>
>>2274504

he died about 7 years after it was done, in france, so I doubt he ever saw it.
>>
>>2274504
Is the story of Raphael changing 'The School of Athens' following seeing the ceiling true?
>>
>>2274082
No they didn't have cintiqs only generic tablets. It's not the tool but the artist that counts.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.