[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone know what kind of process Chase Stone uses to create
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
Does anyone know what kind of process Chase Stone uses to create his images? I know there are two tutorials by him out there but they're pretty old and I'm sure he's much more dependent on references nowadays.
>>
I'd like to know Brad Rigney's updated process as well. Looking at their stuff makes me want to get into photobashing.
>>
Basically everything's photobashed or uses photo reference, then applies a lot of filters to get the consistency.
>>
>>2272529
>Does anyone know what kind of process Chase Stone uses to create his images?

No, and I wouldn't want to know because imo they look terrible.
>>
>>2272529
>>2272756

The sad part is the image isn't terribly complex or ultra rendered. If the person studied more and committed more things to memory they could probable reproduce this style with minimal reference and no bashing.

I've seen rigney in tuts do photo real things with no bashing.
>>
>>2272804
>I've seen rigney in tuts do photo real things with no bashing.
Where?
>>
>>2272821
He had an old CA download, I think it was CA. It was for his "A Hostile Takeover" painting. He's just painting the thing, no bashing.

Granted this tut is old, so maybe he doesn't work that way anymore but at the point I saw this thing he wasn't bashing to paint.
>>
>>2272823
he started photo bashing a few years ago
>>
>>2272855
>If you are going to paint something there is much more interesting things you can do that cannot be done with photos so work towards using that advantage.

Like what for example?
>>
Please he's better than anyone on this board. /ic/ is fucking ridiculous, seriously fuck this forum
>>
>>2272535
Brad is legit. He uses photographs to speed up his process to stay competetive but he has proven that he can do all of this without references if he needs to.

>>2272781
>>2272804
Sup elitistic pricks.

>>2272855
My man.

>>2273028
Indeed
>>
>>2273535

Brad is awesome as an artist an as a guy.(at least in interviews)
That said, there is a couple of magic cards he did with photobashing that are really poor quality compared to his other works. I guess it's ok for something that I'll be published at a small size...
>>
>>2273535
There is no need to "speed up the process to stay competitive" outside of concept art. Anybody who uses photobashing outside of concept art is a hack, especially if they try to justify themselves by blaming the illustration industry and its deadlines (which are more than lenient as long as you know what you're doing).

>but he has proven that he can do all of this without references if he needs
>>2272855
>Brigney used to spent a year on mediocre pics
My sides. Give enough time to a monkey and it will eventually came up with photorealistic artwork. That is quite clearly proof that he is not "legit", just like Maciej and the likes.

>>2273002
Not that guy, but just look at Chinese artworks from the top Chinese artists to see images that can't be replicated through photobashing. Or the works of slightly older guys in the illustration industry, like Brom, Giancola etc. You know, actually good art. Actual art.
>>
File: 1274815259546.jpg (108 KB, 646x1305) Image search: [Google]
1274815259546.jpg
108 KB, 646x1305
>>2273771
>There is no need to "speed up the process to stay competitive" outside of concept art.

Haha oh wow
>>
>>2273771
>There is no need to "speed up the process to stay competitive" outside of concept art. Anybody who uses photobashing outside of concept art is a hack, especially if they try to justify themselves by blaming the illustration industry and its deadlines (which are more than lenient as long as you know what you're doing).

I think it's more about the fact that illustration doesn't pay much, especially in the lower tiers. When FFG offers you 100 USD for a piece youre not going to sit there and do it the right way for 25 hours, youre going to do it in 3 hours using every cheat you know.
>>
Wow this picture is so fucking retarded. I have no idea what kind of attack that is but it looks dumb as fuck.
>>
>>2273943
Shes flipping over the ogres (or whatever) head....? What kind of a dumb motherfucker are you that you dont understand whats happening, kek.
>>
>>2273943
what if her gimmick is that shes super acrobatic and has incredibly strong iron grip hands?

The blue guys seem humanoid so shes probably crushing his spinal cord, seems effective to me, especially if shes light and quick on her feet.
>>
>>2273943
Are you a little slow? She's obviously a monk, monks in most games are associated with dexterity and martial arts. Associated with martial arts are nerve pinch/pressure point attacks. The image is for a MTG card that immobilizes the target creature. That's clearly what she's doing.
The only thing retarded here is you.

With shit taste and image reading skills like that anything you make must be a real fucken gem.
>>
>>2273943
Would you be so kind and go die in a fucking fire?
>>
>>2273943
Well, obviously she's being dropped on top of the ogre or whatever from a high place. Because that's the only way a 100lbs girl is going to do any damage from the angle we're shown: as a projectile.
>>
File: new_05.jpg (123 KB, 590x1000) Image search: [Google]
new_05.jpg
123 KB, 590x1000
While we're at it: what about Komarck?
It's pretty evident that he's photobashing and using 3D references but did he ever talk about his work process somewhere? At least in some of his old tcg paintings you can see reused 3D assets. I'm also pretty sure that he was a professional photographer at some point.
Either way he has a fantastic sense for composition and color.
>>
>>2273995

This. Haven't you people seen any Hong Kong movies? Uncultured swine.
She's probably supposed to do the equivalent of a vulcan death pinch, or a dim mak strike as it's called in the chinese martial arts.
>>
>>2274010
Exactly.

And to use this as a teaching moment, anyone who seriously didn't get this from the card image and wants to be working in games or entertainment stuff you need to culture your self.....and fast.

What the hell are you going to do if a AD gives you a brief for a job and the whole premise flys right over your head and you botch the job? Can you say no more callbacks? More time spent consuming pop culture and reading and less time on 4chan/reddit might be a good thing.
>>
File: download.jpg (13 KB, 203x248) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13 KB, 203x248
>>2273943
>>2273967
>>2273991
>>2273995
>>2273998
>>2274003
>>2274010
>>2274021
Holy fucking shit never have I said anything on this bored that got a great reaction than this.
Damn if you could all stop beating off to Magic cards and 'HONG KONG' movies maybe we could get some half decent critiques on this board.
DWEEBS
>>
>>2274039
hush.
>>
>>2274039
>gets called out for being a moron.

>makes equally moronic statement and posts meme trying to cover up stupidity.
Good going mang.
>>
>>2274039
>...never have I said anything on this bored...
If only you had stuck to that.
>>
>>2274009
I've been itching to know this so bad for so long as well. I don't care if they're using 3D and photos, it looks fucking amazing.
>>
Please for the love of god can we not get into a shitfest and actually speculate on how these are made?
I've really been thinking about learning zbrush and being able to set up awesome lighting scenarios, much to the affect that Gurney does with the little maquettes. Even learning to make decent stuff with sculpey I think would benefit your skill massively.
>>
>>
>>2274146
I'm sure just like Rigney or any other artists who work like this a massive part of their process is having spent years and years studying from life. Lighting, texture, drawing, etc, so they can better paint the fantasy elements and mesh them with the photo ref.
>>
>>2274153
Here he combined two photos to get this angle

Komark is a previous pro photographer he prob has a studio and a bunch of models. + he uses 3d.

photobashing looks so trashy though dont see why people want to achieve that look. I understand the money tho.
>>
>>2274153
That's exactly what I'm looking into at the moment. I like the idea of creating my own reference (by using 3d) rather than think of it as a base to paint over. That way you're not a slave to the 3d, and you avoid that plastic 3d look. Combine that with a big visual library and loads of master/photo studies. Obviously for concept art you'll just throw everything in together in your photoshop blender and mix it up, but I think you can get the best result from using the 3d stuff with a light touch.

To plot every cast shadows of multiple objects plus architecture, nature, props etc. is impossibly impractical. Even if you look at old masters work you see that when they invent figures/scenes they usually opt for a sort of overcast light situation which is much easier to invent.
For anyone who doesn't believe me feel free to open up a 3d application, load a free model of a house with multiple windows, add some trees in front and play around with different camera angles and light situations. The thought of plotting all thouse shadows by hand is ridiculous.

Here is a tutorial that shows how even a very crude 3d model can help with figuring out the light if you're skilled:
cwtutorials.blogspot.cum
>>
>>2274186

Yeah, I don't like the look at all, but it's a standard now and I'll probably grow even more in the next years. :(
>>
>>2274271
3d will become ever more accesible.

But people love seeing people draw. There will always be a market for it. Use digital and make traditional paintings based on those comps and sell for bank.
>>
>>2274237
Yeah, using as something to refer to to make your lighting that much more believable would be so awesome
>>
>>2274279

Yeah, I don't think digital 2D art will anytime soon.
>>
>>2274271
there always seems to be too much detail in places it doesn't belong with photbashing, there's always lots of things that look subtly wrong but it's hard to put your finger on what exactly it is
>>
>>2274375

Yeah, It's not painted over like some background art for animation, it's just pieces here and there most of the times, united with painting. So you have A LOT of noise in areas you shouldn't be focusing your attention.

I'm my opinion Brad did a really poor job on some pieces for MtG, but I still have the most respect for him because he is legit and such a cool guy to listen too, the only one to blame is the AD that started approving those obvious photobashed pictures in the game... Or the AD's boss, Anyway if the public isn't reacting badly they will never change it and will always try to make it faster.
>>
>>2273933
>FFG
Argument invalid.

>>2273805
Great argument here too.
>>
>>2274717
You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?
>>
>>2274271
Yup, as entertainmen/"art" is progressively gearing towards retards without a stop, getting simpler, shallower and dumber, photobashing is a fast and effective shortcut that you will inevitably need to stay competitive.
Also, modern business mentality and quantity over quality, marketing over everything, and social media peer pressure forcing people to like things that are popular, and shaping normies to become a hivemind.
Pretty sad. It's like the intricacies of the craft are the last thing that even gets considered.

I wonder what the painting world will look like in 50 years. Probably just pictures with filters, originally made in powerful 3d rendering programs.
>>
>>2274840
This look will become stale and another look will replace it until it becomes stale as well. This wheel has been turning since the dawn of art, m8.

Remember the jason chan/wesburt/djurdjevic craze? Now it's this and soon it'll be something else. Don't worry too much and try to make your art timeless.
>>
>>2274848
Things have changed drastically, the cycle has broken. Music is the first example that is showing a massive break in the pattern you speak of.

Pop music specifically. Everyone competent now says it's comparatively dumber and samey yet it continues to sell more and more, showing no signs of change. It is what people WANT.

It's how things shape up to be, given the worldwide marketing possibilities. People are exposed to so much shit it's hard to refine your taste, there is more stuff than you could possibly experience in a lifetime, therefore, strong marketing will win over anything

Also as I said, social medias influence.

The rules have changed, the scope is completely different.
>>
>>2274840

>I wonder what the painting world will look like in 50 years. Probably just pictures with filters, originally made in powerful 3d rendering programs.

We can't know for now. We might hit technological singularity and who know's what I'll happen. Anyway I think there will be a revival of traditional at some point, as it's more rare everyday and techniques are getting lost.
>>
>>2274851
Not really. Pop music might be a special case because of the demographic but across all other genres the wheel keeps on turning.
>>
>>2274840
It's capitalism, lad. Normal people don't have any money, so they can neither create art for the hell of it or financially support artists they like (I think crowdfunding programs like Patreon are not going to last and they are already incredible limited with a few business-oriented people accumulating most of the money). Only business will employ artists, to create products, not works.
>>
>>2274859
But people do financially support artists they like by favouring products with artwork they like. The only difference nowadays is that they can do so directly if they wish thanks to patreon and kickstarter.
>>
>>2274860
Consumerist activity is the worst way to influence anything.
>>
>>2272529
he is soo good !!
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.