[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
So, my mom is really not wanting me going as an artist. I have made a lot of progress over the years. I've done my anatomy studies(still), but now been starting draw many other things besides the figure. Animals, clothing studies, etc. Any ways to deal with this /ic or should i just ignore and continue on for what I want to do. Freelance illustration~
>>
>>2271028

How old are you?

my mom is the same. my dad believes in me 200% but my mom tells me 'yeah sure thing sweety but you'll have to get a real job sometime, and the longer you wait the harder it's going to be'.

your parents know jack shit about commercial art, might be a good idea to keep that in mind.
>>
They are mainly motivated by concern for your wellbeing, anon.

Their objections tend to fall away once you start earning a (steady) paycheck.
>>
>>2271030
23. She stills sees it as a hobby despite me drawing over 5 hours every day. I haven't touched digital in months to solidify my foundations too.
>>
think they're not wrong or right, just deal with them with hard work and results
show determination throught your actions not with your mouth
>>
>>2271037

mind posting what your work looks like now? 5 hours a day doesn't necessarily mean much.
>>
>>2271060
Give me a bit. Imma finish this page of portraits then post~ and some other pages from my sketchbook
>>
Post your art and show your parents your paycheck.
>>
Remember, even Vilppu had a part-time job before he started teaching. He's wake up, learn from the masters for an hour, spend as much time as he could doing his own drawings, then go to work. I mean, you should be able to satisfy both yourself and your parents until you earn enough to say, "I'd be losing money by NOT doing this full time."
>>
>>2271089
This. I do exactly this. Thank god I'm not alone because I fear I might not be devoting enough time. But reading that is somewhat reassuring.
>>
>>2271028
speaking from experience, just get a bachelors in business administration as a backup or learn a trade. trust me, you dont want to struggle in your thirties, struggle now, your years will go by FAST!
>>
>>2271100
>get thousands of dollars into debt
>while struggling to become an artist
Not sure if I'd agree here. Getting a Bachelor's degree isn't just a commitment for 4 years.
>>
Move out, support yourself. Stop asking for things, when it comes to plans for the future make your own decisions and don't let your parents do that for you. You can accomplish this through your attitude - state that you are going to do something, rather than ask permission to do it. Disapproving parents will never fully support you, only grudgingly accept your choices. Let go of their and societal expectations or you will be held back as an artist.
>>
File: DSC03541.jpg (147 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
DSC03541.jpg
147 KB, 800x1067
>>2271060
Had to resize. I have 2 others on the way
>>
File: DSC03540.jpg (125 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
DSC03540.jpg
125 KB, 800x1067
>>2271108
>>
File: DSC03539.jpg (137 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
DSC03539.jpg
137 KB, 800x1067
>>2271108
>>
>>2271102
you can get the bachelors years later while in your cubicle job
its either cubicle jobs that can afford you a comfortable lifestyle or struggle in bigbox-stores/moving jobs. Ive seen many artists fail to see this and now in their 40s are living in shitty areas while working as a mover.
>>
>>2271108
Also, I've been working on getting my CCNA in case. I still have trouble achieving the realism look in sketches despite how much I've been drawing. Everything been stylized =\
>>
>>2271114
Pls don't scare me. I just dropped out of college.
>>
>>2271112
Since you are 23, I suggest you get a degree or a part-time job and keep drawing on the side. Not trying to scare you but you have a long way to go judging from those drawings
>>
>>2271227
seconding what he said
what you posted are not bad...for a beginner.

>drawing over 5 hours every day
how long have you been drawing?

I am sure you can get better if you can keep this up, but right now you will never be able to live off your own art. I agree with >>2271100, it's better to arm yourself with a degree, even though its easy as shit and everyone and their dog has one than having nothing at all.

Do art on the side as a hobby until you are good enough to prove yourself on the market that you are in demand.
>>
>>2271108
>>2271109
>>2271112

Dude, your stuff looks pretty bad right now and your mother is right to be worried. She may know you want to be an artist, but it looks like she also knows you are not good enough to do it professionally just yet.
Start working a regular job just so you have something in your resume in case your art doesn't work out, and to show your mom you are earning money, but still keep drawing on your free time.
>>
Hey /ic/ please help me decide, I've just started a pharmacy course at a good uni, it's hard work and leaves less time for art than I'd like, but basically guarantees a career for later.

I could drop out now and reapply for an illustration course, it's bullshit but at least I'll have more time. I want to get professional at this, I'm already earning some money from odd jobs here and there.
I've talked to a lot of people about it and everyone has different opinions I can't decide.
What would you do?
>>
>>2272259

If you have money - go to art school. Just do your due diligence on the teachers to make sure you aren't paying for bullshit.

If you don't have money - keep your pharmacy career. Become a time wizard and make time, but be aware that your magic is blood magic.
>>
All your parents care about is whether or not you'll be well off in the future, that's why they want you to become a doctor or a lawyer. This is something literally every parent does if they care about their child.

Prove to them you're capable of making a living off art instead of working at McDonalds for eternity and then they'll stop nagging.
>>
OP, you simply need to prove you can make money.

Do a commission. Just one. Do it as a token and show you mother. The moment she sees that you earned a few dollars with art, she will be more supporive.

Now, OP, for you--do lots of commissions. Don't worry that you might not get paid much. You want to make sure that you can go that extra step from your sketchbook to a finished work for money.

Good luck, OP
>>
File: digitalizar0018.jpg (72 KB, 935x678) Image search: [Google]
digitalizar0018.jpg
72 KB, 935x678
I was at a similar point when I started getting serious in the end of 2012. I'm not productive and really bad at following schedules, so everytime I tried those I failed. I gave up on pursuing art as a career two times since I decided to study seriously, taking months of no progress because of some shit feeling I was stuck with in those times. Got back recently and I don't think anything can stop me now.

I think I'm finally at a level to get work if I try, but I'm still trying to build a more solid portfolio before diving in the pool.

If you have determination and can follow a routine you'll probably get good really fast with 5 hours a day, if you're studying in a smart way.

Don't let any feeling get in the way if that is what you really wan't. I have this problem that is like a curse, like that movie that a every girl the protagonist bangs finds the man of their life right after. With me, every women that I care for more than sex ends up making a fool of me and going back to their ex, while the ones I don't care at all keeps after me. It's been like this since forever and is probably a curse that a girl put on me ten years ago. Anyway, those feelings really makes me stop drawing and pursuing easy stuff to put my mind on, like games and such. lol

Also, you have to find a job if your parents won't sustain you and you're not 150% right that you're going to follow through with it and that you're really making progress, because if not, you're just wasting time.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.