[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Self Portrait Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 53
File: rembrandt-self-portrait-1629.jpg (113 KB, 380x418) Image search: [Google]
rembrandt-self-portrait-1629.jpg
113 KB, 380x418
Today is self portrait day
Rembrandt drew this when he was 21
Alot of you here are also 21, can you live up to the master?
>>
go ahead, OP
>>
>>2270154
I can't do a self portrait today, damn it. I'll have to come back tomorrow.
>>
Reposting for the 100th time because what the hell
>>
>>2270191
20 yrs old
>>
>>2270191 (this is me)

How close am I? Rembrandt is basically my idol
>>
>>2270208
If rembrandt is 10 you'd be like 4-5.
>>
>>2270211
Nah more like 3-4
>>
>>2270211
Awesome. Now what do I need to improve on to get there in a year?
>>
>>2270213
i would say he is still in his dad`s balls
>>
Also Rembrandt was 23 when he drew that so I have 3 years
>>
File: a.jpg (226 KB, 742x1170) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
226 KB, 742x1170
floop
>>
>one more year
>>2270214
Let's make it count.
>>
>>2270154
>Alot of you here are also 21, can you live up to the master?
No, but I look much better, so the eventual painting will be prettier.

me: 1
rembrandon't: -1
>>
>>2270214
draw productively everyday for a few hours, its not rocket science dude
>>
>>2270262
>productively
>tfw I draw for at least 4 hours a day
>have no idea wtf I am doing most of the time
Being self taught is suffering.
>>
File: photo.jpg (8 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
8 KB, 300x300
>>2270240

hmm go on
>>
>>2270267
post your blog and can give feedback.
>>
>>2270240
It is quite muddy, when using a color layer consider whether the color you are applying matches the value you already have put down.
>>
>>2270275
That makes sense, I've been trying to iron out the kinks of multiply layer plopping color in
>>
>>2270262

Few hours? You won't get anywhere with that. I work in the studio from 9am-8-11pm every day and I've been putting in huge hours since mid high school to get where I am now
>>
>>2270241
3 more years man, that was made in 1629 he was born in 1606. But at the same time it's not a huge priority, I don't think trying to paint like classical masters is that relevant today.
>>
>>2270286
so where are you now?
>>
>>2270241

You can't become famous today by making the kind of art that made them famous back then. You have to be yourself and do something uniquely yours, original.
>>
>>2270286
>productive hours

post blog
>>
>>2270289

I did this >>2270191 four months ago. I never finished it because I got bored but that's generally where I'm at. Sort of moving into other stuff that isn't classical atm though
>>
>>2270291
Don't you get banned for that?
>>
>>2270293
>>2270286
You either have a VERY low IQ or you aren't working very productively, because that is not where somebody should be with the 9-14 hours a day you claim to be working at.

feel free to post blog and not something you made half a year ago to show otherwise.
>>
>>2270291
hopefully mods don't think this is self promotion

http://ryanrebane123.deviantart.com/gallery/
>>
>>2270297
http://ryanrebane123.deviantart.com/gallery/

I'm working to get into the gallery scene, I'm not interested i
>>
>>2270303
-in just grinding realism
>>
>>2270303
>>2270298
Veil the fact that you have literally no idea what you are doing by creating non representational work and focusing on markmaking

>>2270296
Do you? don't have a clue about it, but they're whining about not knowing how to improve, while also only posting one piece

almost nothing on that blog looks like its productive practice since august
>>
>>2270297
>that is not where somebody should be with the 9-14 hours a day you claim to be working at.
What the hell? What is with this place and ridiculously sky high bars? He's doing fine for that amount of practice, it takes time to learn and get better, jesus. Improvement doesn't happen overnight, and the stories of people who get masterful in one or two years are an exception, not a rule.
>>
>>2270306
I was the one recommending a few hours of productive practice daily, he CORRECTED me by saying he works FAR more hours and for much longer amount of time, to the point where you'd think he was working in the industry at that amount of work
>>
>>2270298
Weird
>>
>>2270305

I'm not primarily aiming to improve in the way your thinking. I'm about happy with where I'm at with classical honestly, I'm more concerned with making something that's relevant and important in the art world in 2015. So I'm thinking a lot about culture and the current art world
>>
Sometimes you look at Tehmeh's chart where he improved more in one year than you did in 3. And you feel bad.

But then there's this dude who's been working for 12 hours a day without improvement.
And suddenly it's you don't feel as bad about all that vidya.

Feels good man.
>>
>>2270315
Okay imagine fine art is like writing a story in french.

Right now you're speaking broken french and the words you want, although they could be profound and truly awe inspiring in your head, cannot be translated to another person because of your inability to convey complete thoughts in the language you are choosing to express them in.

So at this point you're pretty much going to look into doing non-representational work, that doesn't try and imitate realism, so people don't realize you're clueless.

Or grind realism
>>
>>2270323

*Cries*

But srsly bruh go back a page or two and look at what I was doing at 17-19. I got so I could paint photo realistically from life and then started exploring which is what I've been doing for the last year.
>>
File: progress.png (854 KB, 1580x2735) Image search: [Google]
progress.png
854 KB, 1580x2735
>>2270269
I'm the guy who made "no idea how" post, but not the guy you were replying to before that, to be clear.

I typed up a tl;dr reply explaining some shit, but then I closed the tab on accident.

>started in dec/jan, no blog because no confidence or anything to post, really
>80% of practice was gesture
>did these occasionally for fun, some from study threads, I think, but never posted
>all unfinished because no idea how to proceed, few pics because I rarely did these over regular practice
>program crashed and lost me a couple of hours on the GoT still, so I got mad and never continued
>last one is especially unfinished, because I decided to stop doing these before getting a better control over my drawing
>went through anatomy, which I think I have a decent grasp on
>now mostly doing pencil drawings from gesture, through structure, to "finished" sketch, kinda maybe getting into color now
>still struggling with hands and heads to a massive degree

Anyway, I got notingh, I just felt like summarizing for my own sake. I know the size of the pic is horrible, I'll fix it when I have better stuff to add
>>
>>2270309
I agree with him though, a few hours a day won't get you very far very quickly, because like I said it actually does take time to get better. At around 10 hours a day, I still think his work is well on the mark of what I'd expect the work of someone who works that much daily to be at. With him at his current level, I'd expect noticeable improvement within a few months if he continues that pace, but we'll see how that goes. I'm not saying you'd get no improvement at all on just a few hours, but I wouldn't expect someone following that schedule to be where he is, or make as much progress within the same amount of time.
>>
>>2270330
a few hours of productive work will do more than 10 hours of mindless work, Keep in mind we don't know how long he's been working at a heavy pace, considering he says hes been working since "mid high school"

>>2270328
why not just push representational work further? just because you can paint from life doesn't mean you can paint creative pieces with ref/imagination

>>2270329
focus on value/edges/anatomy/construction/perspective etc.

do a ton of reading and watch a ton of pro lectures while working alongside, and draw 10x more than you are right now.
>>
>>2270328
>I got so I could paint photo realistically from life
>>
>>2270328
Yeah, but realism's been dead for hundreds of years. There's still two centuries of art history that you could explore before deciding you're done with representational art.
And there's more to realistic painting than just copying from life. What about composition, color, drawing from imagination/ref?

And bear in mind that skills do degrade with time. You could lose some of your progress if you don't keep practicing.
>>
>>2270337
>do a ton of reading and watch a ton of pro lectures while working alongside, and draw 10x more than you are right now.

I know you're speaking figuratively, but that would literally be impossible to accomplish even if I only drew for 2 hours a day.

And, yeah, I started focusing on one thing at a time, like I said, it's just difficult for me to structure my practicing on my own, without a teacher to guide me and explain how to do things I can't figure out.
>>
>>2270329

There's something deeply unsettling about the way you do eyes. Part of it is probably the way you're coloring them.
>>
>>2270337
Why are you assuming it's just 10 hours of "mindless" work? What does that even mean, anyway, when it comes to drawing practice is practice, even doodling serves a purpose. Of course it's better to do a few hours than nothing at all if you can't spare your entire day, but you can't really claim someone who's spending their entire day practicing isn't getting full benefit of that just by default. I spend pretty much the same amount of time as him drawing literally every day, and I don't consider any of it mindless, I feel like every line or stroke I put down helps in some way, especially because over the past few months I've seen a lot of things become easier and faster for me, along with other benefits. What you were saying only applies to someone who gets burnt out and doesn't absorb what they're doing, it's not universal.
>>
>>2270339

That's stylized bruh. More like this study. It's nothing special but it's pretty close to photorealism.
>>
>>2270192
That looks decent, everything else in your gallery is complete and utter garbage, what the fuck man?
>>
>>2270350
> it's pretty close to photorealism.
Not even close bruh.
>>
>>2270346
When I get to that part, I have no idea how to proceed, so I just leave them a solid, flat color after failing a couple of times. It probably looks stranger because the rest of the face isn't just flat. My colors are also very dirty (muddy?), which might add to it.
I also spend more time on the nose than the rest of the face combined.
>>
>>2270353
>>
>>2270350
>mystyle.jpeg
your style is using muddy colors and awful paintstrokes?

It looks like you can only copy whats in front of you man

>>2270343
2 hours a day is impossible? do you have a family ontop of a full time job or something? Also plenty of teachers online, just follow proko or ctrlfpaint etc.

>>2270349
>Why are you assuming it's just 10 hours of "mindless" work?

Comparing the stuff hes doing to focused problem solving like, "today I'm going to study _____ and make a creative piece trying to incorporate what I've studied" doing that at 100% for the 3 hours is going to be more beneficial than unstructured doodling for an entire day.

I'm definetly assuming its not full productivity because people who work that hard and aren't lying end up like tehmeh relatively quickly
>>
>>2270350
You do know realism and photorealism are two different things, right? That is absolutely nowhere near photorealism.
>>
>>2270365
>2 hours a day is impossible?
2x10=20, bruh

I do maybe 5-6 max, 10 is a pipe dream at this point, and that's without the reading.

I figure it gets easier as you get better, but at my skill, it's too frustrating
>>
File: 1442933884502.jpg (495 KB, 708x1000) Image search: [Google]
1442933884502.jpg
495 KB, 708x1000
>>2270358
>>2270329
It looks like symbol drawing to me. You think the white of the eye is all white, when there's almost always a shadow being cast down by the lids. Also, the eye on the shadowed side will be darker than the one on the lit side.
You seem to struggle with values.
Try doing some black and white portraits of sculptures.
>>
>>2270191
Super muddy.
>>
>>2270371
"I want to be pro at basketball but practicing basketball is too difficult for me, what can i do to become pro at basketball. I have the internet at my fingertips and hundreds of instructors offering free (or piratable) lessons online but I don't have anything to guide me"
>>
>>2270365

>people who work that hard and aren't lying end up like tehmeh relatively quickly

I do work that hard, it comes at a cost I won't lie. Social isolation and depression is a side effect. That or its a way to escape those things. It's sort of like an addiction at this point to be honest. But I'm mostly engaged unless I'm just crunching on rendering
>>
>>2270365
>I'm definetly assuming its not full productivity because people who work that hard and aren't lying end up like tehmeh relatively quickly
You look at things too black and white. People are not the same, not everyone learns the same, not everyone has access to the same learning resources. Whatever your idea of "relatively quickly" is doesn't matter, it will take a person as long as it takes them, and you can't objectively say they're not being productive because it can't be said 100% for certain that working only 3 hours is the best way to improve. It's a good way, but not the only way, and not a way that will work as well for everyone. When I learned piano my teacher said practice only 15 minutes a day and you'll be golden - I did, and I was. But it has taken me years to get where I am with drawing/painting, and I've tried spending a few hours a day drawing and the whole day drawing. Saying he's lying or not doing good enough because of your arbitrary rule is unconvincing.
>>
>>2270374

Yeah I agree. How do I fix it? Just less colors on the palette I guess?
>>
>>2270377
If you're "http://ryanrebane123.deviantart.com/gallery/"

Then you aren't working productively is my point.

You can spend 15 hours a day drawing fucking horizontal lines, and although you'll get better at that, its not particularly a productive way to improve your quality of work as a whole.

>>2270380
>not everyone has access to the same learning resources.

What is google? I mean if they have awful internet and can't manage a torrent or stream youtubes, i think there are still ebooks that can be purchased or torrented. not to mention potential libraries with resources.

I'm literally just saying that productive, focused effort is better than spending more time but in a less productive manner.

Say for example, I can keep spending 5-6 hours a day rendering female anime characters, or drawing bob ross landscapes, but I would arguably improve quicker by spending 90 minutes on anatomy and perspective, and 90 minutes applying it.

This is completely my opinion, but keep in mind that people go to ateliers and work under instructors so they get a DIRECTED workflow, (and feedback of course)
>>
>>2270385
Brushwork. Follow the form with your brush.
Mix the color and apply to the drawing at full opacity. Use an oval brush instead of a round one.

But don't reduce the color palette, a limited palette is a crutch.
>>
>>2270373
Like I said, the GoT one got fucked, and I'm almost sure I didn't even paint the whites in the other two, and that's just the background you're seeing. A lot of it is just unfinished, or just a block-in, like the hair in the last one. And again, I'm still working on drawing, these were done more for fun that actual learning, I never even touched color besides those few pics.

>>2270375
>why does nobody read.jpg
>I draw 4 hours a day
>do 10 times more
>oh, and also read and stuff
>draw 40 hours a day and read
>>
>>2270395
I was assuming you weren't drawing very much, because of your limited amount of examples you showed. make the 4 hours a day productive, watch vilppu and proko
>>
>>2270374

Also the lips aren't right. I never finished them, the ear or the hair so. I wanted that harsher stroke but next time I'll go for more blended. Less browns maybe. For some reason it looks better big than in the thumb nail. So it doesn't look very good from a distance. I think next time I'll focus more on just one light source rather than two. But yeah, overall, less browns in my palette, more yellows.

Also just in general the likeness is off quite a bit. The nose is too small is the main reason and I got the lips wrong. Also too puffy around the cheeks. I

Maybe I'll do another intense mirror study over winter break to see if I can fix everything.
>>
File: selfportrait.jpg (167 KB, 811x839) Image search: [Google]
selfportrait.jpg
167 KB, 811x839
Been arting for maybe half a month now?
>>
>>2270390
>I'm literally just saying that productive, focused effort is better than spending more time but in a less productive manner.
That's obvious. The problem is you're assuming that just because he's spending more time, that time is less productive, on no basis whatsoever. Even if he doesn't spend any of that 10 hours doing anatomy studies, or any kind of study, but just applying things he's learned before like color block ins or seeing if he can do a piece from imagination doesn't mean it's not productive, that just means YOU think it's not productive, but that's not going to hold true for everyone who does it. So fine you're entitled to your opinion, but think about that before you start saying someone has a low IQ and shit just because they're not doing things the way you think they should. Art is a very personalized learning experience and the worst thing that people always do around here is try to make everyone conform to what they think is universally right.
>>
>>2270396
>make the 4 hours a day productive
Anon, you're honestly just annoying me at this point. The first fucking post I made was about feeling frustrated at finding it difficult to work productively while being self-taught, you're literally just running in circles and dragging me with you.

And no, books and videos are not teachers, being thaught requires interaction, that's why you went to school instead of just being given some books and a vhs.
>>
>>2270390

What I'm saying is that the way you think of productivity and the way I think of it are very different.

The way I think about productivity is trying to discover some break through that I can use to launch a contemporary art career. I'm looking for something new and relevant. I want to be part of an art world change, a movement I guess.

Your thinking about productivity as the ability to do classical realism. Rendering, composition, etc. I care about those things as well but that's not the main thing I'm worried about. So you won't see that kind of progress as obviously.
>>
>>2270409
The best teacher is crippling self doubt and insecurity.
You need to find someone who draws so well that you'll spiral into depression at your own inability.
You'll either kill yourself or become godlike and surpass that person.
>>
>>2270402 The issue is that this person's ego got built up into thinking he understands realism, because he can copy from life, so he choses to not work on fundamentals anymore. Like the "no wrong answers everyone has fun cause art is personal" approach is cool, but you can't really look at it in that light if they're wanting to objectively improve

>>2270409
Dude the videos people make are designed to be watched and taught. Even catbib said he religiously went through all of the vilppu videos.

You can make drawing as productive as you want, but you're literally saying that you're unable to learn from a book.

Teachers basically just direct the flow, and answer questions to make sure you are understanding what you're reading, if the information you find is confusing, then ask in a beginner thread/draw thread, and people will be happy to teach you.

What are you expecting besides that, or dropping 200k to go to RISD?

>>2270411
Practice fundamentals so when you do come up with that "amazing new and relevant piece" then your skills are honed and ready to go.
>>
>>2270411
>I'm looking for something new and relevant. I want to be part of an art world change, a movement I guess.
Well, good luck.
The world's been stuck in post modernist hell for a century now, and it doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon.

Unless you're talking about a breakthrough in the money laundering business that is today's art market. If so, then carry on.
>>
>>2270415
>you're literally saying that you're unable to learn from a book.
That's it, I'm done. You're either a moron or seriously not reading what I write. Have a nice day.
>>
>>2270419
>And no, books and videos are not teachers, being thaught requires interaction, that's why you went to school instead of just being given some books and a vhs.

Plenty of people learn by being given books and a VHS.

the issue is that children in grade school have no discipline, and clearly you don't either.

Like again, what do you want people to say?
"hey anon I'll totally teach you how to draw for free"
>>
>>2270409
Teachers are a redundant job.
If you can't read a book and understand its contents, read it again.
If you can't understand it upon multiple readings, you might be too stupid for education and it would be better for the gene pool if you starve to death.
>>
>>2270415

Don't you think I'm okay enough with fundamentals that I should start looking for something original? I mean Warhol barely had any classical fundamentals and I actually really respect what he did.
>>
>>2270415
>The issue is that this person's ego got built up
That's not even remotely what we were talking about though. If you want to say he needs to keep practicing his fundamentals, yeah, okay, fine. All I'm saying is while you're telling people to spend at least 3 hours a day on meaningful work, don't discount the people who say they want to spend longer than that, and all of that should be completely independent of anyone's work.
>>
>>2270416

I'm optimistic man. I think this younger generation has something to say, and I think there's a lot of younger folks today like you and me who are really fed up with the establishment. When all of us grow up I can see some good coming out of it. Also with the influx of new culture from the internet we have a very creative time on our hands, more culturally dynamic than anything since turn of the century. idk, it might take a few decades but I think it could end up okay
>>
File: merc_wip.jpg (205 KB, 800x1154) Image search: [Google]
merc_wip.jpg
205 KB, 800x1154
>>2270426
>Warhol barely had any classical fundamentals and I actually really respect what he did.
Took an already existing aesthetic of commercial arts and popularized in the high art community?

You should make a five meters tall copy of merc_wip, see if it creates a revolution in high art.
>>
>>2270426
Warhol is a productive of luck.

If you want your career to be based off of luck, then sure.

Also I don't think your fundamentals are that good, you just know how to copy whats in front of you and plug some moderately accurate value into the slot. but again, my tastes align with illustration, so I'm definitely biased.

The more subjective something gets, the more random it is to find success from it. Have you read one of those articles about a Best selling book previously got denied by 10 different publishers?

If you want to get famous then start sending your stuff to literally every gallery in your country and pretend you know what you're doing.

>>2270427
I'm not discounting people who want to work more, I'm discounting this guy because of his mspaint photoshop stonery spliced doodles onto pictures he found off google and calling it serious studio time
>>
File: 1234.png (195 KB, 627x845) Image search: [Google]
1234.png
195 KB, 627x845
duh fack happened to dis thread
>>
>>2270430
Uh, I take it back.
I think it might be the IQ after all lol
>>
>>2270434
>I'm not discounting people who want to work more, I'm discounting this guy
Okay then, that wasn't clear before. I still think calling him stupid/a liar was stretching it, because while he could use some reinforcing on his foundation he is still pretty good, and I don't think his faults are to blame on how much time he practices. But I think that pretty much settles that.
>>
>>2270433

kek that's basically what my current answer is atm check it. You make that sound bad but if you're part of a culture that's what you should make art about I think. That's how rock music started and hip hop.
>>
>>2270434

Edward Hopper, James Gill, Robert Indiana, Jasper Johns, Roy Lichtenstein, Claes Oldenburg, Robert Rauschenberg, Andy Warhol and Tom Wesselmann.

Those were all pop artists working at the same time and knew of one another, they were very intentional man
>>
>>2270443
good luck m8 your stuff is perfect nobody can critique you. I hope we can only learn from you when you are making millions with your profound knowledge you are bestowing onto us mere mortals
>>
>>2270444

Not at all man, I'm not saying I'm there at all. Pretty much all those pieces I did with the avatar characters don't work because what they are about are virtually incomprehensible unless you already understand the community. The message is way to vague. It's pretentious and cold. Also it's conceptual and I'm tired of conceptual art. So I'm ditching it and trying this meme stuff. I like it better because people can actually tell what it is and get some kind of real reaction. And then eventually I'll find whats wrong with that and then progress from there.
>>
>>2270447
if it makes you happy then cool but don't expect people to be able to critique it seriously and don't bank on making a living off of it
>>
File: SelfPortrait860.jpg (513 KB, 860x669) Image search: [Google]
SelfPortrait860.jpg
513 KB, 860x669
>>2270447
maybe you should grow a sense of humor and be like me? being randoms easy. being funny is hard. anyways heres two self portraits.
>>
File: march-18-2015.jpg (836 KB, 735x1000) Image search: [Google]
march-18-2015.jpg
836 KB, 735x1000
>>2270451
heres another
>>
>>2270450

Making a career is going to be the priority, I don't have this self defeating mentality of it's never going to work and I'm just going to keep toiling away in obscurity with a displaced martyr complex. I'm willing to sacrifice but at the same time I think I'll find people who are thinking about the same stuff I am and when that happens I think people will want to hear about it because that's what I've also been waiting for.
>>
File: july-30-2015-1.jpg (908 KB, 765x1000) Image search: [Google]
july-30-2015-1.jpg
908 KB, 765x1000
>>2270454
heres another another
>>
>>2270451
Oh hey brian there you are you slick bastard
>>
>>2270451
>>2270454
As someone who's basically been arguing on your behalf this entire thread, I just want to say it's fine that you're searching for your own voice but your execution does need work. At no point should you stop trying to improve your draftsmanship, because improving it will only help you bring your ideas to fruition better. Good luck.
>>
>>2270458

Did you just get here or have I been talking with you for a while again?
>>
>>2270459
i come in peace. also fuck that guy that draws memes
>>
>>2270460

Hey thanks man. And yeah I agree, fundamentals are still very important. And I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be.
>>
FUCK OFF WITH THESE TALKS GO MAKE A THREAD ABOUT THAT POST YOUR FUCKING UGLY MUGS YOU FUCKIN TWATS FFS BAKA
FUCK OFF WHO CARES U ALL FUCKIN SUCK LMAO YOU THINK URE GOOD U R FUCKIN BAD OMG LOL
>>
>>2270466
Quiet hoe. Adults are talking.
>>
>>2270458
POO
>>
>>2270468
Adults?
why, surely you mean retarded kids who think theyre te next big shot and shit on established artists while just producing ruan jia turd replicas

MUH SEKRIT CLUB MUH ANONNIMONINITY
MUH CRITS MUH FUNDIES

ffs preacher fuckers literally LMAOING@uall as i draw ebin stuff and u all suck coz u talk too much and dont draw

SENPAI
>>
File: 184.gif (1 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
184.gif
1 MB, 500x280
>>
>>2270328
You got pretty good with the realism but after that it seems like you started regressing. I think realism is where your talent is, or pretty close to it anyway. Going postmodern for the sake of peer pressure is a wrong move imo. Either you have it in your heart or you don't; and you don't. It's pretty clear that you're not really enjoying all that weird stuff; the work seems rushed.
>>
>>2270350
Lmao it's not stylized. It's just realism with a silly instagram filter applied on it.
>>
>>2270371
dude, don't listen to that cunt. Just enjoy yourself; you're at the point where you can improve with very little work. Getting greedy now would get you burned out in the future.
>>
>>2270491
I expect this guy to burn out any day now. He's drawing memes and calling it groundbreaking and personal
>>
>>2270439
you plan on revolutionizing the art world by becoming the memer? Sounds crazy enough to work. It's not something I'd be proud of though...
>>
>>2270447
The main problem is most of your work actually lacks appeal. As if you had no taste.
>>
>>2270354
this
>>
>>2270499
>>2270501
>>2270506

At least when I make those kind of pieces I genuinely feel like I understand and belong to that culture. When I was doing European style classical realism I just felt like a total fake trying to be like people in the past who have nothing to do with me just so I could boost my ego and get compliments from my family and professors. I was profoundly bored. At least now when people look at my work they're a tiny bit of surprise and interest even if its negative sometimes. Plus it's totally unpretentious, a master student brought his kid in the other day and he loved a piece that I'm doing atm that's based on "I know that feel", it's basically just a collage of chacters giving empathetic hugs. You don't have to know art to get it man. It's not my big break through but I like what I'm doing man. So kindly fuck off
>>
is it still valid if i do it tomorrow?
>>
File: 1445719426289.gif (2 MB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
1445719426289.gif
2 MB, 160x120
>this thread
>>
>>2270354
dumb comparison man. That's all metal and glass, all the surfaces I was painting were matte.
>>
>>2270549
This is the beginning of artistic expression, good to see on /ic/ which lacks understanding of that, oddly enough.

Do what you feel like, that is the whole point.

But just doing memes isn't enough. It's a tiny step in the right direction, the fact that you are doing somthing that means something to you. the memes is an art scene in itself, and you'll walk a fine line not to be just a leech if you're going to incorporate memes in your art. do what you feel like and you will never be wrong though.
>>
File: z924c.png (26 KB, 880x500) Image search: [Google]
z924c.png
26 KB, 880x500
>>
>>2270435
spooky m8
>>
>>2271236
sorry about cancer
>>
>>2270240
LONDON
>>
>>2271803
I don't mind but it was like, "any minute now you'll want this"

I tried very hard for you, and we just don't know.

Art.

Maybe I'll make a full recovery when everything is terrific.
>>
File: thelauguing christopher.jpg (164 KB, 768x999) Image search: [Google]
thelauguing christopher.jpg
164 KB, 768x999
>self portraits are vain glorious

The deal being someone finishes it off when it's time to immortalise me.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (113 KB, 1066x1154) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
113 KB, 1066x1154
a quick one, too lazy to finish that shit
>>
>>2271966
Amazing! It totally shows how much of a beginner you are!
>>
>>2271972
post your work
>>
>>2271974 see >>2270399
>>
File: november-3-2015.jpg (458 KB, 755x1000) Image search: [Google]
november-3-2015.jpg
458 KB, 755x1000
i did a new one today. might as well post it here too. what should i do for the background?
>>
>>2271982
you made the head too big lol
>>
>>2271980
Are you joking??? It literally says in that post "been arting for maybe half a month". Two weeks and you're calling anyone else a beginner? I'd berate you more but I don't think that's even your picture. And if it is, what the hell is wrong with you?
>>
File: v54.jpg (173 KB, 1000x1121) Image search: [Google]
v54.jpg
173 KB, 1000x1121
>>2271993
because that wasnt me
this is my work
>>
>>2271996
No, that's that guy who thinks he's Ruan Jia, and you're a horse's ass.
>>
>>2271997
whatever kid, im going back to drawing, while you waste time here.
>>
>>2271982
Let me guess: you're as gay as leyendecker
>>
>>2272002
>while you waste time here
Says the shitposter, who took time out to save 2 other people's drawings to shitpost more. But please, don't let me stop you, go, by all means go.
>>
File: kXl0N6H resized.jpg (954 KB, 2672x4264) Image search: [Google]
kXl0N6H resized.jpg
954 KB, 2672x4264
This thread is pretty negative but here's mine. I've been drawing for around 3 months and switching between loomis, Scott Robertson and Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.
>>
File: selfie136.jpg (227 KB, 1000x1414) Image search: [Google]
selfie136.jpg
227 KB, 1000x1414
>>
>>2272012
I like your look and your style, anon.
>>
>>2272013
Thank you, anon!
>>
File: DSC03257 (536x800).jpg (186 KB, 498x776) Image search: [Google]
DSC03257 (536x800).jpg
186 KB, 498x776
Oil from mirror. thoughts?
>>
>>2270329
Why do people skip drawing and try to paint
>>
>>2272122
Why do people skip painting and try to draw?
>>
>>2272119

sexy dough eyz. can i get ur number gurl?
>>
File: IMG_20151103_120937.jpg (625 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151103_120937.jpg
625 KB, 960x1280
>can you live up to the master?
heh
>>
>>2270399
clearly photobashing. pls stop you greaser looking mothafucker
>>
>>2270835
dont make it worse for yourself. i can see brush strokes in your work....
thus making it anything but photo realistic..
because you dont see brush strokes in fucking photographs.
>>
>>2272119
Oh, I didn't know this was a self portrait. I see you fixed the upper lip thing, it turned out lovely anon. I'm jealous, much younger than me and already a much better painter. Keep it up!
>>
>>2270373
lovely anon, where can I get more sculptures like that for reference?
>>
>>2272122
Did you even read that post?

Also
>why do people skip running and try to play football
because fuck you, it's fun
>>
>>2272119
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>2270298
>>2270303
Want to explain why two of my paintings are in your gallery without accreditation?
>>
>>2272380

proof pls
>>
File: minion.jpg (422 KB, 868x900) Image search: [Google]
minion.jpg
422 KB, 868x900
>>2272384
http://ryanrebane123.deviantart.com/art/Post-Your-Minions-562813270

There's nothing on there to say you collected these from /ic/ and I don't remember being asked if you could use mine specifically.

(I'm mostly teasing anon)
>>
File: november-3-2015-2.jpg (596 KB, 756x1000) Image search: [Google]
november-3-2015-2.jpg
596 KB, 756x1000
>>2271982
heres the final piece
>>
show me your heads!
>>
>>2272513
Very good
>>
>>2270191
>>2270192
>>2270240
>>2270329
>>2270339
>>2270399
>>2270435
>>2270458
>>2270454
>>2270451
>>2271236
>>2271966
>>2271982
>>2271996
>>2272009
>>2272012
>>2272119
>>2272179
>>2272513
I know this has become a meme by now, but im not joking when i said loomis is just they way to go guys.
>>
>>2274844
man you need to stop smoking crack
>>
>>2271974
>>2270433
>>
>>2272119
I think its very good, got it in higher res too?
>>
>>2272119
could you tell me how is your mediums and solvents game? also drying.that's the thing about oils which confuses me to no end.
>>
File: jewnose.png (250 KB, 700x990) Image search: [Google]
jewnose.png
250 KB, 700x990
Reposting because I forgot to resize.

Okay, so last time I tried doing shit on my PC I was fifteen, so I figured I'd try my hand at it with a self portrait. Are the proportions okay? I feel like the distance between the nose and upper lip may be too big. And how do you start rendering/blocking in the shadows when you're working digitally? Are you supposed to work with greyscale or jump right into colours? I'm already dreading everything being a giant pile of smudge.

>>2272119
Good going Anon.
>>
ms paint.
>>
>>2275236
You're not "supposed" to do anything, digital is incredibly flexible.
If you want to do colours first, do it, if you want to use values first go for it.

Just play around and find what works for you.
One thing I'd say is use a hard brush, that might stop it looking smudgy, and a lot of beginners use soft brushes for rendering and it looks like ass.
>>
>>2272119
It's coming on. Is that really oil paint? I'd have sworn it was digital, the smooth highlights you have don't look like brush strokes, they remind me more of smears on an ipad from a finger. Anyway they are odd and stand out as wrong, or no oompfh to them.

I love the modelling of the face but some of your placement of tones stand out a mile.

I assume you're still working on it.

7/10
>>
File: selfportrait.png (66 KB, 824x1110) Image search: [Google]
selfportrait.png
66 KB, 824x1110
>>
>>2275155
I usually thin out the paint with gamsol quite a bit in the beginning with the initial block and as I progress I use less gamsol and more walnut oil/sometimes linseed oil. I try to stick to the fat over lean rule as I get further into the paint.

This one wasn't completely alla prima. I would work on it then let it dry over night. To work on it again and re activate some the paint I cover in a layer of walnut oil and go into it again with the paint.
>>
>>
File: selfportrait.jpg (167 KB, 800x1209) Image search: [Google]
selfportrait.jpg
167 KB, 800x1209
Did this for thread a while ago.
>>
>>2270329
These are good, keep at them. But it looks like you're using the color picker to take the direct colors from photos. Don't do that. Or rather, try your hardest to get the right color by eye alone, then compare what you thought it was vs what it actually is. Correct it. And move on.
>>
>>2270154
Rembrandt's dead and we're alive so we win.
>>
>>2278002
I warned you about deals with Nyarlathotep but you didn't listened anon, did you?
>>
Sorry for the weird angle, pulled it off my instagram.
>>
File: 33rd5.jpg (84 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
33rd5.jpg
84 KB, 960x960
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9nGMFCZGlI
>>
man i remember when people were actually good here.
except for a couple the rest are shiet
>>
>>2279514
It's always been that way
>>
>>2279514
And I'm sure yours is one of the good ones, right? Oh wait, you didn't post one at all, did you.
>>
>>2279518
take a wild guess
>>
>>2278022
Hey, babe
Can I get your #?
>>
>>2278022
Whore
>>
>>2281440
>>2281408
>Why I'll never post my self portrait on this board.
>>
>>2281444
>I'M A GIRL TOO BTW :P
fuck off bitch
>>
What are some tips when it comes to traditional self portraits?

How to set up the mirror? Best pose and lighting? How do I measure angles if I have to?
>>
>>2281549
Set up a mirror in a position that you can look back and forth between your canvas and the mirror without moving your head at all.

Poses don't matter so long as you can hold it comfortably for extended periods of time.

Lighting can be anything, but if you plan on spending a few hours on it then you should ensure that the light won't change dramatically in that time (no direct sunlight, don't paint as the sun will set etc).

Measuring angles is the same as any other thing. You can either eyeball or use your pencil or some other tool to help measure.
>>
>>2278002
this is cool
>>
>>2281476
Way to reinforce it.
>>
>>2281476

hahaha
>>
File: z951.png (26 KB, 1075x486) Image search: [Google]
z951.png
26 KB, 1075x486
>>
>>2281551
>Set up a mirror in a position that you can look back and forth between your canvas and the mirror without moving your head at all.

Never would've thought of that. Thanks!
>>
File: mee.png (105 KB, 337x349) Image search: [Google]
mee.png
105 KB, 337x349
>>
File: Francois Rude - La Marseillaise.jpg (229 KB, 1394x1800) Image search: [Google]
Francois Rude - La Marseillaise.jpg
229 KB, 1394x1800
>>2272291
I just reversed image searched >>2270373 and got the name of the sculptor and several more under "People also search for". Just look up prolific sculptors and use high res pictures with good lighting.
>>
>>2281623
Don't listen to him, babe.
Post your beautiful picture, I'll make it worth your while <3
>>
File: me.png (63 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
me.png
63 KB, 640x480
I wish I was skinny again
those were the good old days
now I'm a fat miserable fuck
>>
>>2282834
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>2282874
I have a dick you dumbarse
>>
>>2282875
>implying
is it feminine?
>>
>>2282877
Tom Preston is available too you know
>>
>>2278022
nice values!
>>
>>2282884
>whiteknight kek trying to get her number
My god that was embarassing my good man, especially because those values are actually shit
>>
File: 20151112_130824.jpg (132 KB, 590x731) Image search: [Google]
20151112_130824.jpg
132 KB, 590x731
4th attempt at a self-portrait in the last few days. I think I'm starting to get the hang of working from a mirror. trying to remember that "less is more" with pen.. critique is welcome.
>>
>>2282950
I recommend doing some master copies of people like Charles Dana Gibson. Take note of what they decide to leave out and how they handle the lines they do put down.

At the moment you have lots of lines that do not convey information in the best way. For example the lines around your jawline obscure the contour while also giving the impression of stubble or a thin beard. Or some of the lines on your cheek are giving a sunken feeling because they are not following the form correctly. For the hair you can treat it in a less uniform way--figure out where the highlights are and leave them light, then hatch only the shadows. Or use some larger flat black areas. Get some more variety and try to get the form as well.
>>
File: 20151112_182127.jpg (140 KB, 598x765) Image search: [Google]
20151112_182127.jpg
140 KB, 598x765
>>2282984
thanks for the crit. I made another attempt with that feedback in mind. I think face is improved but I still need to work on not overdoing the hair.
>>
>>2282906
>being this bitter over someone liking something
You jelly of OP?
>>
File: face.jpg (126 KB, 1885x2048) Image search: [Google]
face.jpg
126 KB, 1885x2048
Quick one
>>
File: z951f.png (51 KB, 1075x486) Image search: [Google]
z951f.png
51 KB, 1075x486
>>2281695
>>
>>2283505
are you orgasming
>>
>>2283529
Nah, i just got fucked up rodent teeth
>>
>>2283505
link to more art pls
>>
>>2283516
Are you orgasming?
>>
File: z953h.png (68 KB, 1057x486) Image search: [Google]
z953h.png
68 KB, 1057x486
>>2283560
yes
>>
>>2283551
it's okay baby, you can come to my sewer and be my sweet little rat companion anytime
>testing my pick-up line game
>>
>>2270474
>>2270466
Aww, someone just got rejected from art school.
>>
>>2270813
I like you, laughing-black-man-at-the-end-of-discussion guy
>>
File: thescream[1].jpg (126 KB, 650x388) Image search: [Google]
thescream[1].jpg
126 KB, 650x388
>>2278022
>>2282950
>>2283245
>>2283505
>MFW this thread made me realize that petty woemn could have given me, or others, crit
Honestly I hope you know your place and never crit the work of a male, cause that would be really disgusting.
>>
>>2283655
People usually draw themselves way hotter than they actually are.
>>
>>2283505
Hey babe, hey
p-please respond.
>>
I want people to pay attention to me.
Should I post my self portrait in this thread or will it 404 any time soon?
>>
>>2283670
post it here and post it in the new thread as well when this 404ed and post it in drawthread :^)
>>
>/ic/ is the best looking board
>uglier people don't post portraits at all
>we all draw ourselves about 30% better looking

Which on is it?
>>
>>2283678
Probably a bit of number 2 and also paintings are often more flattering than photos.
>>
>>2283659
nevermind him respond to me instead (this post number)

i can provide a more suitable income for your womanly needs, choose me i beg you
>>
File: self.jpg (506 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
self.jpg
506 KB, 1280x1280
Damn, lots of good ones here.
Sort of late to the party, but here's my most recent self portrait.
>>
>>2283747
Not bad anon, nice to see some traditional paints here.

I think you could focus on getting better edge control, especially in places like the eye.

Also try to photograph it so there isn't that glare on the image, it kind of ruins it in a way.

Compositionally is there a reason you put yourself so far on the left?
>>
>>2283749
Thank you for the crit! I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah i know what you mean, but oils are so damn hard to get good pics of. Shiny stuff. Didn't help that i painted over an old, textured painting either.

As for the composition, i believe it's better this way, than having it dead center. But either way works i guess.
>>
>>2283747
reminds me of richard t scott, great work anon!
>>
>>2283775
I feel if it was more centered it would be stronger actually. Take a look at the work of portrait artists like Sargent or Raeburn or whoever you like, and see how they compose their images. Typically it's more centered than you're made it. If you do have it off center like that then usually the empty space is there for a reason, like maybe the portrait is turned and looking out of the image or something.

Also I don't know if it's the photo or the painting, but it seems pretty dark overall. Again, look at portrait painters and see how they organize their values. Sargent went to pretty much pure white at times on foreheads and stuff at times.
>>
>>2283747
Did you learn oils in a school or on your own? I find oils to be too intimidating and complex to tackle on my own.
>>
>>2272513
Wow I really like it, very good. I like your general style too, it's almost a bit cartoony with bold lines and colors but also proportionally realistic. One thin that bothers me is the highlighting on the chin. It is not the right color imo and it seems like you used a lot of cool colors isolated in only that area? Try to make the colors more even across the face, changing only in shades. Also, you might find it easier to work from photos with a single light source.
>>
>>2275236
>I'm already dreading everything turning into a giant pile of smudge
I feel that. It's a perfectionist thing. Try to turn off your fear of the future or failure and just draw. Empty your mind. It's easier said than done though lol.
Also your drawing is good, and I can't see anything wrong with it except that you haven't put in any shadows or color yet, but you will.
>>
>>2278022
Pretty good friend, but the mouth looks like it is too far to the right. Also, eyebrows look unnaturally high. Maybe that was the expression you were going for or maybe it was a weird picture? But the cheeks look especially good. I wish I could do cheeks like that.
>>2272119
Woah. That's good. Only thing I can say is make the eyes a bit sharper, and add more deatail. But that's more of a preference thing.
>>2276982
I feel like you haven't given enough to critique. There's nothing wrong with it, but there isn't much to it either. You should take more risks.
>>2282984
This is great critique
>>2283505
I feel like the angle I'm looking at the mouth a nose at are not the same as the eyes? Also, not enough shading under the mouth it looks sorta disconnected from the face. its pretty good though overall.
>>2283747
Looks good but the photo is bad so I can't really tell much. If it's actually those muted colors IRL then u need brighter light pigments in the bright spots
>>
>>2283777
Glad to hear that, i like that artist very much! thanks.

>>2283819
>>2283788
Yeah that's a good point! Maybe i should try to brighten up my paintings a bit.

>>2283792
I learned it by myself, only painted with acrylics in school. The advantage of oils is that you can work on it the next few days, and it'll still remain wet. Plus it looks a lot better than acrylics i think. Oils, linseed oil and turps and some rags is all you need!
>>
>>2283792
Also, oils are real messy and confusing at first, but after a few paintings you'll get it. Cant say im an expert though. Learned a lot from this channel, i'm sure you will too. Working in layers often produce great results
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsFEmblWdY47pA_-vy1F7wQ
>>
>>2283556
I dont have any blog yet, sorry :/

>>2283585
Your pick up line game is a solid 9.

>>2283659
>>2283698
what is going on here??

>>2283747
Awesome work m8

>>2283819
Well I used a reference so maybe my face is just fucked. But the lack of shadow below the lip is my fault. Thanks for the critique!
>>
File: slprtded.jpg (170 KB, 400x558) Image search: [Google]
slprtded.jpg
170 KB, 400x558
>>
>>2284070
eyes & you look like you're suffering from some sort of allergy attack due to the bloated appearance
>>
File: 20151113_191424.jpg (1 MB, 1074x1500) Image search: [Google]
20151113_191424.jpg
1 MB, 1074x1500
Did this portrait about 2 years ago for Illustration. Sorry for the poor quality.
>>
>>2276982
>>2283819
yeah, true. did it around midnight when i couldn't sleep. gonna wait for this thread to 404 and then i'll redo it
>>
>>2284070
You look like you got stung by bees in the face multiple times.
>>
>>2284104
>posts an artifact.
post more recent portrait.
>>
>>2283936
>>2283505
Babe,
You can to come to my basement and be my sweet little sex doll anytime.
>>
>>2284104
copying photos of yourself is like the gayest thing you can do.
>>
>>2283505
Wow, this turned out beautiful. Keep up the good work
Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 53

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.