[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you have the time to do bookbinding?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
this has a very loose connection for what this thread is for, but listen.

Does anybody put a little effort into making their own sketchbooks instead of buying one, using a pad or just using printer paper and a cheap clipboard?

It's out of the way, but a nice handmade sketchbook goes a long way (and definitely cheaper then buying a moleskin).

[Image not mine]
>>
File: Book binding.jpg (497 KB, 1266x950) Image search: [Google]
Book binding.jpg
497 KB, 1266x950
>>2268526
I just started recently. It's super comfy and its nice to be able to make a sketchbook with whatever paper you want.
>>
I do, because it's a lot cheaper.
The ones I've made are shit quality though.
>>
I might try this, what makes moleskine sketchbooks supposedly good? Every instagram artist buys it
>>
>>2268827
I think it's just hype really. I got a watercolour one a little while back out of curiosity and it seems pretty normal. The paper is nice quality and it's a nice looking notebook but it's nothing special. The purple notebook in >>2268763 is filled with heavyweight cartridge paper that's just as good if not better than the moleskine at half the price and a bigger size.
>>
>>2268827
Quality. If you're good = you have money and don't have time for shitty bookbinding
>>
>>2268866
Bookbinding is a nice skill to have. You can make way nicer books than moleskines as you can pick your own materials.
>>
File: stab binding.jpg (65 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
stab binding.jpg
65 KB, 500x375
>>2268866
You could shit gold and moleskines would still be overpriced. Bookbinding can be enjoyable for its own sake.
>>
i did at one point but it's really not worth my time

i go through sketchbooks far too quickly and would rather spend my time drawing or on homework than try to show off muh sketchbook
>>
>>2268526
I like to draw from various angles, books make that really difficult. Clipboard is really the way to go. Binding is just for finished sets IMO
>>
File: 80018998_04_l.jpg (80 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
80018998_04_l.jpg
80 KB, 500x500
Some day I really want to make a big tome-like leather bound medieval bestiary thing. I have no idea how difficult it'd be to do in practice though.
>>
File: IMG_2975.jpg (1 MB, 2816x1880) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2975.jpg
1 MB, 2816x1880
>>2268526
I usually stick with a stapler and ducktape. I want to make a fancy sketchbook for water colors, but im unsure if my art store has the right kind of paper.
>>
>>2270821
is this method as simple as it looks? Id like to try it
>>
>>2268526
there is a paper thread that has some binding info in it
>>2262278

go to a copy store and ask for tape binding, it should only be a couple bucks
>>
>>2270840
yea imo, I use it to practice a lot.
>>
>>2270821
How many staples you use per book?
>>
>>2270991
3: top, middle, bottom
>>
>>2270821

Literally just tried this with office supplies at work. Free throw away sketchbook desu.
>>
File: IMG_0023.jpg (81 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0023.jpg
81 KB, 480x640
>>2271135
>>
>>2268827
I use them for three reasons
1-I like the texture of the paper
2-I use the pocket to hold money at work
3-you can seal it with the rubber band thing it has around it
>>
>>2270757
I watched this program on an illustrated bible and got it into my head that someday I'm gonna make a full on giant illustrated manuscript of some epic taleor something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTS5m59DPoo
>>
>>2270757
>>2273659

Invent a nonsense script that is legit enough but completely indecipherable to fuck with the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript
>>
File: IMG_20151107_082445023_HDR.jpg (186 KB, 1366x464) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151107_082445023_HDR.jpg
186 KB, 1366x464
I'm making one for my friend for when he comes back from uni on break in a few weeks. I used Mixed Media paper. The paper, glue, and thread came out to like $7 and I only used 1/2 the paper in the sketchbook.
>>
>>2277101
I dream of making sketchbooks like that
>>
>>2277144
It's easy to do. I just followed some guide online and swapped out an old book cover instead of making my own.
>>
>>2268960
wow, those are absolutely beautiful, what kind of cover would that be ? and what is advised for them ?
>>
>>2268526
i like the idea of it, its just im worried i would spend more time/money making the sketchbooks than actually drawing.
However, what >>2270821 suggests is pretty cool and interesting, especially if your on a budget
>>
These have become my sketchbook of choice, if hole-punching your stuff doesn't bother you.

The main reason I love it is because you can pretty much add or remove things at your leisure. It takes some of the anxiety out of it that I often get with bound sketchbooks.
>>
>>2277189
That's Japanese stab binding. If you look around online a bit you'll find loads of tutorials for different patterns. This is the first hit I got on it .
http://www.designsponge.com/2013/03/bookbinding-101-japanese-four-hold-binding.html

This one is pretty good for the basics but I wouldn't worry to much about finding linen thread. Any kind of embroidery floss will work as well and you can have nicer colours then. You should probably wax it yourself though if you're using unwaxed thread but you don't have to, it just makes it easier to handle. Beeswax is preferable but a candle will do the job.
>>
>>2268526
I did this with my watercolor paper pad to make a sketchbook, it's crappy but it's better than the pad.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.