[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tablet For a Begginer in Digital Drawing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10
File: Huion_H420.jpg (41 KB, 560x350) Image search: [Google]
Huion_H420.jpg
41 KB, 560x350
So I am about to buy a graphic tablet since I am tired of drawing on paper.

What graphic tablet do /ic/ think that is good for a begginer in digital drawing? People have recommended this one but I thinks its kinda small, huh? (Huion H420 btw)
>>
think*
Sorry, OP kinda sleepy here.
>>
>>2251409
DO: get huion or mono price
DON'T: wacom if you're on a budget

DO: med if you're a beginner
DON'T: small or large if you're a beginner

other than that it's kinda personal preference

Vistablet might be a good choice for you
>>
Thank you, I will check it.

beginner* Holy crap, I should check my spelling tho D:
>>
>>2251409
I have that tablet and it sucks, don't buy it. The pressure sensitivity doesn't mean squat when the pen and line quality are really bad
>>
don't want to make new thread, so
Are there any good android tablets for sketching? Or any other variants? It would really conviniet to do quick speedpaints when I'm not home
>>
H610 pro is the only acceptable huion
>>
>>2251413
I have a small wacom creative(or whatever it's called). Did I fuck up? Is it unwieldy to draw on a small tablet? My surface area is mapped to the canvas in photoshop and not the whole screen. I find that sometime it's a bit unwieldy, but don't know if it's just that I am bad or going for a medium would solve some of the unwieldyness.
>>
What do you guys think about this?
https://youtu.be/7JBCLv0486E
>>
>>2251413
I don't see any particular reason to not go for a large one if you're a beginner and you're not on a budget. I think learning to draw digitally with a larger surfaces discourages the chickenscratching, while smaller (and more slippery) surfaces encourage it more.

The medium sized ones are totally sufficient as well, of course.
>>
File: 102.100.021.jpg (8 KB, 400x282) Image search: [Google]
102.100.021.jpg
8 KB, 400x282
>>2251409
This, I have it.
Tablet is just a tool. You must work, work and work.
>>
>>2251612
What's the difference between that and the straight H610? Same dimensions and buttons but it's a bit cheaper, does the LPI really matter that much?
>>
>>2252036
You're not gonna produce anything nice on that piece of shit tho
>>
>>2251612
What the fuck are you talking about.
Theres a lot of huions that are really fucking good.
H610 or 1060pro for beginner(still really good). 185gt and so on if you got monies.
>>
>>2253476
if you are a shitlord artist ofcourse not.
>>
>>2253484
Yeah, okay keep dreaming.
>>
I have the Wacom CTL480. However it's kinda expensive for what you get.
>>
>>2252036
I owned that garbage.
Shit broke after a year.
>>
I have a 400-700$ budget, any good tablets in that range?
>>
File: 321153-wacom-bamboo-capture.jpg (34 KB, 275x250) Image search: [Google]
321153-wacom-bamboo-capture.jpg
34 KB, 275x250
question about tablets of the wacom variety; screens and no screens. i can draw circles on my first try on paper, but with a bamboo it takes me several tries because i can't see where my pen is going. is this going to be a permanent hinderance?
>>
>>2253759
nope, you'll get used to it very quickly.
>>
>>2253759
you lack hand eye coordoation, play some fast twitchy fps games like quake arena or unreal. Also make sure you're tablet has the same proportions as your screen 16:9 or 16:10
>>
>>2253476
It's a toot if you are bad blame yourself.
>>
File: ret.gif (2 MB, 640x352) Image search: [Google]
ret.gif
2 MB, 640x352
>>2253476
Good artist can produce masterpieces in PS and SAI with mouse. So shat fuck up with wacom meme and work.
>>
>>2253746
http://www.amazon.com/GT-190-Inches-Digital-Tablet-Monitor/dp/B00LA0NONE
>>
>>2253759

Part of it could be poor coordination as other anons have said, but some programs are just shit for it too.
Drawing really good circles in photoshop is actually a bitch regardless of how coordinated you are. Some programs have stabilizers that make it look a lot less janky.
There's a reason you see lots of artists just paint without tons of linework in photoshop, sketch traditionally or do their inking in another program and that's because photoshop is garbage for linework compared to programs like Sai and Clip Studio. You can do it, certainly, you just need to work harder to get the same result.
>>
>>2251413
You seem to know your stuff, so would you mind helping me with a problem I'm having with my monoprice?
>>
>>2253746
ye, surface pro and you get a wacom tablet, pc and a screen to draw on
>>
>>2251419
you vucked up
>>
OP, just get Wacom Bamboo. It's a very good tablet for the price. Anything above that is just a waste for a first tablet, everything below is shite.
>>
Hey, Is this tablet fine for a beginner? Is it essential I get a medium one?
>>
>>2260823

It sucks, get a cheap tablet.

Stop with the wacom meme
>>
File: 81YFUddbPhL._SL1500_.jpg (177 KB, 1500x1001) Image search: [Google]
81YFUddbPhL._SL1500_.jpg
177 KB, 1500x1001
Would a Cintiq be a good first tablet if money isn't a problem?
>>
honestly:
bought small wacom and i use only about 3x4 cm of space anyway
>>
>>2251409

>When you get a phone upgrade get the galaxy note 5
>dat s-pen
>pressure sensitivity
>artflow app
Art in the palm of your hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXKiPQVeW0k
>>
>>2261258
Didn't bought an intuos pro but this one
absolutely great,
even with descent hand eye coordination, you will never draw a perfect line or circle in one go with traditional
but with this one you can and it also retains your paper drawing ability
unfortunately its a flawed product, I wish it isn't that expensive and has two extra keys
Wacom always do shit like this

Don't think of carrying this thing around, with a laptop its too heavy, better to stay put on the table
Don't buy the touch version, the extra prize isn't worth it. If you want to zoom or rotate buy a bamboo pad and use its touch gesture, it works and much cheaper
>>
>>2261258

I have a Cintiq Companion and it's fantastic. A Cintiq would be fine
>>
>>2251409
Just how good/bad is this new Wacom tablet? Any new features? Anything they might of have removed?
>>
Digital art beginner here
Can someone tell me what are the differences between SAI and Photoshop? I tried google but all I get is "it's personal preference, b urself :))))" bullshit.
>>
>>2251649

Smalls basically confine you to wrist movement, when getting good with arm / shoulder movement is important both for avoiding injury and getting fluid strokes (though the ability to adjust zoom makes it easier to do long strokes even with a wrist).
It's not the end of the world but you did fuck up.
>>
>>2264697

Sai lacks the power and variety of tools that photoshop has, but it's surprisingly good drawing software, especially when you're starting out.

Photoshop is like having a giant toolbox filled with tools you have no clue how to use. You're just as likely to fuck up worse with it than you would with Sai if you're misusing things, but if you learn how to use it properly you can do things better and quicker than you might in Sai.

That said I find clip studio to be an excellent compromise between photoshop and Sai. It has more features than Sai, a few less than photoshop, but generally is more tailored for art rather than just photo editing.

Photoshop's lack of stabilizer makes it take a lot of time to learn how to make clean lines. Even if you can draw perfect ellipses on paper you'll probably get some blocky bullshit in photoshop. That's one thing that Sai and clip studio negate that's really important, and a reason lots of people sketch / ink their stuff in those programs then paint it / refine it in photoshop.

At the end of the day, though, some of it is personal preference. Neither is objectively better, though photoshop objectively provides greater utility. Try both, see what sticks.
>>
>>2264720
Wow, I didn't expect a response this big.
Thank you anon, I think I know what to expect now. You've helped a lot
>>
not op but tablet question.
I have a small intous but I'm having a lot of trouble drawing larger lines with just my wrist, and I don't have the room to do much arm movement.
Is this something inherent to smaller tablets or is it an issue with tablets in general?
If its just cause I fucked up then I'll invest ina medium to large, but if its just tablets being tablets then there's no need for now at least.
>>
>>2260823
i had it, hated it, sold it. The main problem was that once you took the pen off the tablet you had to repositon the pen to the center to avoid moving your cursor.
>>
fyi huion doesnt work with photoshop
>>
>>2265842
Stop spreading lies.
>>
>>2266041

and strat spreading those buns, Mmm mMm MMM!
>>
>>2254204
In what way is sai better than PS for lines?
>>
>>2267317
in the "I DRAW ANIME AND I LOVE JAPANESE CARTOONS MADE FOR YOUNG ADULTS" way.
>>
File: lines and circles.jpg (559 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
lines and circles.jpg
559 KB, 1200x1200
>>2267375
That's what I thought.
i tried out both sai and manga studio, and while they weren't bad I couldn't see a huge difference.
>>
>>2254190
not poster but if the tablets ratio is different from the screen you basically have to learn how to draw all over again
>shiggy
>wiggy
>diggy
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>2251409
>Buying anything other than "it just works"
I bet you people also bought a mechanical keyboard with Dvorak layout and a mouse with a trackball on it.
Have been using >>2260823 for years and never had any problem.

Blaming the tablet for a shitty drawing is like blaming the controller because you died in a videogame.

git gud
>>
>>2268471
>Blaming the tablet for a shitty drawing is like blaming the controller because you died in a videogame.

I didn't see him do that and I think you're imagining things because it allows you to be more of a condescending cunt that way.

Some people, you'll learn, are happy to invest in their hobby and get tools that make the hobby more enjoyable. Most people don't fucking buy nice art supplies actually expecting them to magically make them a top tier artist.

I hope you're not one of those retards who views anything but a pencil and piece of paper as a crutch.
>>
>>2267317
>>2267375
>>2267586

As the guy who said that, I stand corrected. It's not as bad as I remember having just drawn a few circles in PS, I think my drivers must have been fucked last time because I couldn't get an even circle for the life of me.

I still think there's something to be said for stabilizers, though, even if some people cry about muh crutches. And the retard throwing everyone who uses Sai into the weeb box is still pants on head retarded. Lots of weebs using Sai =/= everyone who uses Sai is a weeb.
>>
>>2252036
I have a cheap g-pen and this comment left me wondering if it's really true. I personally find I can draw well enough using this tablet, even if it's hard at times, but that's me.
Anyways, I tried to copy a panel from doujinshi using my cheap tablet to see if I could get a similar result, and I could.
With my cheap, dirty tablet I could easily do the same kinds of drawings as this great hentai artist.
It's not the tablet, faggot desu, it's you
>>
>>2254190

Let's see your mouse masterpiece, friend.
In fact, I would like to see any "good artist" produce a masterpiece on a mouse without months if not years of getting used to a really unintuitive medium for drawing.
Occasionally somebody produces something pleasing with a mouse, but it's almost universally simple because that's what the mouse restricts you to. Not all tools are created equal, and just because somebody can draw a nice piece of art with a chocolate bar doesn't mean somebody should.
>>
>>2269914
I didn't say me.
Good d artists
>>
bamboo create, Intuos or intuos 3, 4, or 5

ignore the chinese shills
>>
Okay guys
I don't know how to draw and i'm in search of a tablet. I'll most likely draw cartoony shit, and i'm on a 140€ budget
What would be the best tablet for me?
>>
>>2267586
Have you tried Fire Alpaca? I do also like Open Canvas myself because of the pen pressure it has when sketching.
>>
>>2264772
welp, you probably fucked up with the drivers.
mine doesn't have that problem.
>>
New here
What about drawing on a laptop or tablet? How are these?
http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/lenovo/yoga/yoga-500-15/
or
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-7548-laptop/pd
>>
Been using a standard Bamboo for a couple of years now. It's nice, functionality-wise, but I'd love an actual screen to draw on, even if I'm not a pro and mostly do it for fun every once in a while. Those prices though...
>>
does anyone have an opinion of krita?
>>
File: hanvon-sentip-1201wd.jpg (534 KB, 1427x1056) Image search: [Google]
hanvon-sentip-1201wd.jpg
534 KB, 1427x1056
So I'm about to upgrade to a new tablet and I could need some help guys.

So far I've been using a Hanvon Sentip which has served me pretty well aside from that some drivers where hard to fix with Win 8.

I dont know what to expect from other tablets since this is my first one so I'm worried I will overlook something.

What i basically want is something within ~ 1000$ class range, maybe a bit bigger monitor and (and this is the reason i want to swap) for it to be wireless.

So far pretty much everything wireless seems good though so I feel warning signals. Anyone here have any good tips?

I would love to just carry it around the apartment instead of pulling out an eextra monitor and lying down on the floor like I do now. Will it be ok to work with or will it be like a 5 year old laptop or something like that? I dont want to play games on it obviously but lagging software would be a bit of a turnoff.
>>
>>2275271
I'd say it's always better to get a real drawing tablet.

Those things are cool, but they aren't really for drawing. Unless you're only dabbling and want a laptop for something else too.
>>
>>2275294
krita is awesome. However I have heard that windows version has some bugs. However functionality-wise it has everything you need for painting/sketching. Check out this guy http://www.davidrevoy.com/ He does all his stuff in krita. He also has awesome tutorials for it and even a very nice brush set.

The one drawback is that photoshop brushes mostly don't work there. However that is not the fault of the software, it's because adobe keeps the format closed and the only way to get to the info about the brushes is through reverse engineereing. So if you have brushes from photoshop newer than CS2 they probably won't work.
>>
>>2272144
>Fire Alpaca
First time I've heard of it, and I don't like the look of it desu

And wow I forgot all about open canvas, I used that like 10 years ago to draw shitty animu, I'ma install that actually for the nostalgia
>>
Ok so anyone knows what is the deal with wacom one?

There were medium sized ones but it seems like they only made one batch or something. I managed to snag one and it is awesome. It is pretty much a medium sized bamboo for 50 shekels. Super affordable and works amazingly well.
>>
>>2269888
Yes, your workflow is slower but you can.
It's a tool.
>>
i wouldn't be surprised if osu is popular with the people on this board >>
>>
>>2275425

Is this the one from Aldi?
>>
>>2275725
I'm not familiar with aldi, I'm a eurofagso mby it's some american shop I don't know. This is the tablet I'm talking about: http://www.wacom.com/en-in/products/pen-tablets/one-wacom-m No bigger shops or e-shops have it, some have it as sold out for a long time. I only found it available in one really small and not very well known e-shop, so I assumed that it was discontinued and they still had a few pieces left due to low traffic. However wacom one is pretty new so I don't understand what would be the reason to discontinue a product so fast. And they still sell the small ones
>>
>>2260823
Don't get it, the small one is just too small for anything useful.
>>
Hey guys, I want to upgrade from a wacom bamboo to something with a larger working area and pressure sensitivity as I have just downgraded back to it, any recommendations?
(I had a cintiq12wx but the color problems and size of the screen just were not worth it)

Also is there any stands for regular tablets so I can set it (bamboo and anything larger) at an angle on my desk?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.