[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does ic think of sycra's coil technique?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWLaDSNBAI
>>
>>2247727
does it help you? if so use it.
>>
he's just drawing a cylinder
>>
>>2247727
it's useful if you actually know the 3d form you're "tracing" out
>>
File: virginman.jpg (364 KB, 590x810) Image search: [Google]
virginman.jpg
364 KB, 590x810
Da Vinci did it first.
>>
it's not sycra's technique
>>
When will Sycra realize that pointy chins look awful
>>
>>2247779
he claims it is.
>>
>>2247779
Someone's probably done it before but I don't doubt that he probably came up with it. Everyone comes up with ways to think about things when drawing
>>
>>2247727

Vilppu
>>
>>2247787
I dont think he said it's his technique tho.
Might be wrong
>>
>>2247780
Probably never, but maybe he'll grow out of it eventually.
>>
>>2247780
I blame sunk cost fallacy.
>I've invested so much time into this thing and it hasn't gotten me anywhere, so I just gotta keep pushing until I get results. otherwise it will all have been for nothing.
>>
>>2247727
It's a useful technique, however it's more of a shorthand. Practice placing them within a cuboid to understand the perspective better.
>>
>>2248037
or maybe hell break through!
>>
>>2247780
I like parts of it, I don't like rough it makes his women look. If it was an evil big bad empress trying to kill the adorable princess the design fits, but making everything sharp destroys alot of the feminity of the drawings, and since he primarily draws women its a bad choice of stylization.
I don't think its necessarily bad though, just a misfit between subject matter and style choice.
>>
File: gem_girl_by_sycra-d7gi06d.png (904 KB, 1024x658) Image search: [Google]
gem_girl_by_sycra-d7gi06d.png
904 KB, 1024x658
>>2248098
It looks terrible. EVERY SINGLE TIME

WHY YOU DOIN THIS, SYCRA
>>
>>2248111
I think that one in particular is just a case of weird anatomy and bad hairstyle.
Plus I don't really consider the speed paints a good indication of how it looks as a whole.
>>
File: 12QUZVU.png (413 KB, 518x558) Image search: [Google]
12QUZVU.png
413 KB, 518x558
>>2248111
Jesus Christ, you could cut a watermelon with that chin.
>>
>>2248111
Its so frustrating seeing him waste his potential on those terrible chins and disgusting look proportions on his women, they're not appealing at all
>>
Sycra, if you're reading this, we don't hate you. In fact many of us like you. It's just that some of us, sometimes, think your own limits and choices can be fucking shite.

But keep up the hard work!
>>
>>2248150
This.. the pointy chin style in my opinion is absolute shit, but he likes it and is aiming toward perfecting it unlike half of the autists on this board shitposting instead of getting better.
>>
vacuous technique:

for me the sense of drawing is finding sensibility.
>>
>>2248290
wut
>>
>>2248275
What is perfection in a pointy chin? The ability to cut diamonds?
>>
>>2248111
Because he can basically do anything else. He does what he wants. That's art too.
>>
>>2248429
stabbing yourself in the hearth with your chin when in need
>>
File: 1444689569907.jpg (200 KB, 1300x731) Image search: [Google]
1444689569907.jpg
200 KB, 1300x731
This guy makes a fucking living doing this.
>>
>>2249615
hes the same as a tumblr SJW, essentially.

Le political cartoon xDDDDD
oh thats a rich one...haha oh yes, he QUITE capture the disgruntled air of the commoner, oh ho! what fun, i do say.
>>
>>2248111
i guess all his women are like half human half dorito
>>
>>2249615
>>2249618
what?
>>
>>2247794
I also came up with this when I was drawing horns for devils and bulls separately, I think an artist will arrive to this technique when they work with form.
>>
coiling is the same as finding the cross section to establish the angle. You should not rely on so many curved lines to establish the form. Do more with less. It's a good way for beginners but you should graduate from it. Not saying don't use it, but it's an unnecessary step if you can establish form without it and it can become a crutch stuck in your wheels.
>>
File: majin_vegeta_by_sycra-d71gy04.jpg (196 KB, 1024x1562) Image search: [Google]
majin_vegeta_by_sycra-d71gy04.jpg
196 KB, 1024x1562
>>2248119
>>2249166
>>2248275
>>2248150
>>2249618
>scyrafags
I still find to believe they actually exist.
>>
Terrible. Go watch sinix.
>>
>>2249684
Actually stabbed myself
>>
>>2249684
jesus fuck when was that done ? that's fucking worse then begginer tier on /ic/
>>
>>2249684
What the fuck happened? He used to be all right, but then he became 'muh style' and fucked everything to DA levels.
>>
>>2249953
The usual want their unique style, took a wrong turn, became shit.
>>
>>2249953
Except it's not wrong exactly. His style incorporates the fundamentals he's literally just stylizing it.
I wish you autist stopped saying "muh style" for anything stylized. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, this isn't a case of muh style, just a case of differentiating opinions.
Sycras shitty style is still incorporating the fundamentals far more than most the people who criticize him.

While I don't think he's amazing, when you get to his point maybe you can talk, but I highly doubt any of you are even that far along.
>>
>>2247787
Nope.
>>
>>2249646

fuckn kek'd

>>2249679

Yeah, when doing tentacles or roots I came with the same technique and started doing it sometimes to foreshortening members, didn't know it was a thing but thought it would be basic "finding the form" technique.

>>2250036

The thing that goes off to me is how he choose to use a pure geometric form to convey just one part of the body. If he did that pointy chin but pushed more stylization on the rest of the figure, making characters less 3D or realistic rendered I think the style would work. I mean, it's a common cartoon technique to use geometric shapes, but you gotta follow with it... The problem is in the mix he does.
It's pretty clear the style works better in the vegeta piece because it's more stylezed in general, but I still think it's too extreme.
>>
>>2250058
>doesn't work and too extreme
well yeah not saying otherwise, just that he does know what he's doing and its being done intentionally. its not "muh style" its just bad choices with a semblance of logic behind it.
I think its a horrible style as I'm more a fan of a rounder shape style, but to each his own and the "critics" of people who don't know the first thing they're talking about should be told that they're fucking retarded.
>>
>>2249684

I fucking told you guys he was regressing
>>
>>2250102
Nah line art is just less forgiving, he's always been mediocre.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.