[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I have this painting hanging in my living room, a friend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: image1 (2).jpg (95 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image1 (2).jpg
95 KB, 640x480
So, I have this painting hanging in my living room, a friend saw it and said that they have a print of the exact same painting, I got it at a thrift store, mine seems to be the original, its on canvas, is painted, but can paintings be massed produced? It has a signature and on the back says Oct. 31st 1933. Trying to figure out who painted this and what the painintg it called, I'l post images of the writings on it, it's painted on a Viktoria canvas
>>
File: image1 (3).jpg (98 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
image1 (3).jpg
98 KB, 480x640
>>
File: image2 (1).jpg (102 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image2 (1).jpg
102 KB, 640x480
>>
>>2247336
A ship on the sea is a pretty common theme, it's likely that it's not the exact same image if they both are originals.
>>
>>2247340
His is a print, mine seems to be an original
>>
bump?
>>
>>2247336
On your canvas, are there any raised brush strokes. Like if you run your fingers over it do you feel anything other than canvas texture.
I work for an art studio, and yes it's 100% a thing to be able to print canvases. I'm actually painting on one right now, putting in additions to the painting so the original is not affected.
>>
Since i had some art traders in the family: I wish you good luck, you are going to need it. Your best bet is trying to get the name right and pray you can find something about it, but mostly it is just another artist who doesnt get anyone interested in it.

Take this with caution: If theres no name on the ship, it is way more probaly not worth much.
>>
>>2248044
Yeah there's lots of raised brush strokes, especially on the ocean.
>>2248062
Thanks, I was thinking about maybe trying to find someone around town to look at it, but I don't want to waste someones time if odds are this thing isn't anything. It's really just the date that intrigues me, 1933 was awhile ago. Also no name on the ship
>>
>>2248044
DO NOT RUN your fingers on the canvas,, anon! Your natural oils will mess up the painting tremendously. Thats why museums roped off important paintigs like The Mona Lisa
>>
>>2248357
I don't think this is painting is comparable to the Mona Lisa, it came from a thrift store
>>
File: 1327989620440.jpg (58 KB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
1327989620440.jpg
58 KB, 500x490
>>2248044

>Like if you run your fingers over it

Please don't ever give advice again. You are destructive.
>>
>>2249107
>at garage sale
>stocking up on old frames
>old lady can't into what this painting medium is
>proceed to caress varnish and impasto
>squeeze tells me its acrylic

Also paintings can take some shit. I was hauling two wet oil pieces through pouring rain with the surfaces exposed and the paintings were not damaged. Onlookers horrified reactions made it fucking holarious
>>
most likely it's just a painted reproduction of the original. it's like a print, just more costly and nowadays all done in china.
>>
>>2249124
That's what I was curious about, if paint repros was a thing
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.