[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: question.gif (20 KB, 210x255) Image search: [Google]
question.gif
20 KB, 210x255
Is this any good?
>>
>>2245042
Read the sticky

(yes it is for beginners to get rid of the symbol drawing. I would had so needed that a year ago.)
>>
I read it and I think it's snake oil. But whatever floats your boat.
It's the opposite of construction.
>>
>>2245048
>>2245050
OP:
I have drawn by Burne Hogarth books for several years and I'm taking a course that uses some exercises from this book. The course has been interesting but hasn't really given much for me.

So, I don't really need to read this then?

P.S. Tnx for reply.
>>
>>2245054
In my opinion this book is for people who look for "shortcuts" but there are no shortcuts in art because you'll end up reaching a glass-ceiling if you try to cheat your way through the learning process.
But that's just my 50 cents
>>
>>2245060

Shortcut for what? lol

This book is to learn how to see things like they are and draw. Learn to see is important...

It's a beginner book, so if you're advanced, it's not really necessary.
>>
>>2245050

So? It doesn't aim to teach about form and construction, the whole book is basically about shape which is equally important.
>>
>>2245042
Get it as your first book, don't read cover to cover, just work through the exercises and some of the text (Not all of it, the pseudo-science is a bit bullshit tbh).

It's used to get you out of your old habits, the habits everyone has when they've never learnt to draw properly. You'll see some results once you get finished with it, then move on to some proper books. Keys to Drawing is something I currently swear by, and Loomis helped me get to a higher level after that.

Stick that 'Perspective made Easy' somewhere and you've got a pretty decent foundation to learn off of.
>>
Does that book really work?
>>
As a first book and a confidence builder, this is a good option.
>>
the book contains a lot of essential wisdom about how our brain works awith regards to drawing, it's not to be overlooked, even though it is not rigorous hard science, in my experience the principles that the book discusses have a great deal of truth to them
>>
There's a tutorial pic that was floating around here that sums it up much better without all the nonsense brain stuff

I'd just look for that and get Keys to Drawing for beginner exercises
>>
Just read Keys to Drawing instead.
>>
>>2245042
This book is not about drawing from imagination or constructing forms based on prior knowledge, it is about honing your skills in direct observation. To that end, it is incredibly effective and diligently working through the exercises in this book will improve your draughtsmanship. Even if you don't want to draw from reference constantly, honing your observational skills with exercises like the ones in this book is very useful, because your imagination is only as strong as the real images you feed it. I'm not saying that it has to be THIS book, but this book would not be a waste of your money.
>>
File: 1442095604398.jpg (1 MB, 1275x7630) Image search: [Google]
1442095604398.jpg
1 MB, 1275x7630
>>2245976
>>
If you have an okay grasp of form/construction is it necessary to read Keys or RSOTB?
>>
>>2246247
nice
>>
>>2245042
There is an exercise book that is very good http://www.amazon.com.br/Drawing-Right-Side-Brain-Workbook/dp/1585429228

I have a pdf version somewhere
>>
>>2246429
Please upload if you can.
>>
File: 1367944238608.jpg (48 KB, 780x534) Image search: [Google]
1367944238608.jpg
48 KB, 780x534
>>2245042
Got it from an anon here a while back, guess I can pay it forward.
https://www.mediafire.com/?jf1huq9xisbsqpu

>>2245978
Bonus prize.
https://www.mediafire.com/?58mz5y9d39m9ap5

Don't tell nobody.
>>
This book helped me quite a bit. I'm still not amazing, but at least I understand to see and draw shapes instead if symbols
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.