[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are any of you digital artists excited about the Surface Book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: surface-book-1200_1024.jpg (261 KB, 1024x563) Image search: [Google]
surface-book-1200_1024.jpg
261 KB, 1024x563
Are any of you digital artists excited about the Surface Book or Surface Pro 4?
N-Trig now has 1024 pressure and 1 year battery life
>>
>>>/g/
>>
I have a surface and I've never found it all that useful for art. In situations where I want to draw in places that aren't my PC I almost never want to do elaborate digital paintings so it's easier to just carry around pencils and a pad.

It's a lovely device but I've never found an artistic use for portable tablets.
>>
>>2242658
the /g/ threads are moving too rapidly and don't really accommodate art related discussion. We've had Cintiq and iPad Pencil threads, so why not have a comfy Surface thread
>>
>>2242666
Seconding this. Willing to shell out the cash but trying to figure out perfect price to performance ratio for the SP4.
>>
Here: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pro-4/productID.325711500

I'm a games/animation/art student and this thing sounds like the perfect item for someone like me. I wanted a product that i could use like a wacom cintiq but still carry around and do intensive work on, i travel around 3-4 hours for uni and have a terrible habit of spilling things on my keyboard, the fact that it runs full windows (despite the fact that it's windows 10) is still better than using a mac, which i had to suffer through for 2 years, it also runs 3d softwares and games which other products are too weak to do.
It's kinda embarrassing how this thing is probably equal to or stronger than my PC, i don't know how to upgrade it so i sorta had to accept for what it is. I think i have enough to get the highest spec once it hit's the UK though i'll end up back to being a poorfag, overall it was an improvement from the SP3 and i'm glad i'm waiting for the SP4.
/ic/ is slower than /g/ but atleast you guys won't bash me over the treatment of my computers, i hope, if so then i'm sorry.
>>
I had hoped for a rechargeable stylus, like the Apple Pencil, or the ThinkPad Yoga 460 Wacom AES pen.
Batteries, particularly AAAA batteries, are a pain in the arse, but if they really last for a year then I think I can tolerate that.
Are there any good rechargeable AAAA batteries?

The other issue is whether there will be any king of express key solution.
I'm guessing the keybourd works like the ThinkPad Yoga by retracting.
Overall, products like this make it hard to justify a Cintiq Companion.
>>
I'm not looking to buy a new device right now, but I hope that the Surface Pro 4 is a good product. I would like N-Trig tech to keep getting better and put the fear of God into Wacom. I hope the same for the iPad Pro, but suspect the SP4 will be more useful owing to its more powerful operating system.
>>
>>2242650
I'm happy with my Surface Pro 3. I'll consider getting the SP4 when the price drops or something
>>
>>2242658
why are you in every thread, go away. This board is dull and slow as fuck. WE WANT THESE THREADS
Hide it if talking about digital tools offends you.
>>
have any of the surfaces had a similar feel to the surface of the cintiq 13hd? i really love the feel of that slight texture, i can't deal with that super smooth glossy phone type screen ;-;
>>
>>2243100
the new surface pen has interchangeable nibs, with different textures available, e.g. felt

>>2243074
my nigga
>>
>>2243074
>>
>>2243100

You will never have a matte screen for a non cintiq tablet unfortunately because consumers simply prefer glossy screens. I also fucking hate it but what can you do
>>
>>2243722
Matte screen cover. Boom.
>>
>>2243779
Where can you get those? Do they inhibit sensitivity in any way?
>>
>>2243779
It creates a thick transparent layer between the touch sensor and the pen, it still works but looks off
>>
I'm going to wait for the reviews. Digital FX etc usually do nice reviews on the latest stuff from what I can gather.

My main concern is the quality of the pen.
>>
>>2243796
photodon can make custom ones
>>
>>2242650
3:2 aspect ratio is perfect for drawing on. This thing looks promising but way out of my budget.
>>
>>2242664
Its because you suck.

Bobby Chiu uses a surface pro 3, and hes an absolute beast. A lot of other really great artists use one daily too, so its not the device that sucks its you. Go fuck yourself faggot and shoot yourself in the head with a shotgun.
>>
>>2244452
Same, although the base model Pro 4 could squeeze into my budget, it's actually cheaper than the 128GB iPad Pro.
The question is though, can a Skylake core m3 with 4GB RAM handle Photoshop/Mango Studio?
>>
Welp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti7PjjmvlIU
>>
>>2246699
>he doesn't know about Sleepy-Rat
>>
>>2246699
isnt that just the natural jitter of yr hand when you draw a line that slowly?
>>
>>2246700
Not him but what's that?
>>
>>2249075
>>2246700
Wait, nevermind. Literally just figured it out as soon as I asked that question.

Speaking of Lazy Nezumi, I've tried it before on my Surface Pro 3 and it doesn't help the slow line jitters all that much, if at all. Just seems to be a different type of jitter than what Nezumi is made to deal with, and for some reason it fucked with how the strokes ended for me as well, was really annoying.
Maybe things have changed since I last used it and it supports N-trig tech a lot better now or something.
>>
>>2248695
It's a known issue with all active styli that slow diagonal lines results in this 'jitter' effect.
My understanding is that it can be fixed using stabilization in certain programs like Manga Studio (is Lazy Nezumi something similar?). Alternatively you can draw diagonal lines faster to compensate.
Either way I'm stlil interested in the Pro 4. It will be interesting to see if the Apple Pencil also suffers from jitter.
>>
>>2242650
Over priced laptop marketed to naive artsy people. You can get better for cheaper.

Also >>/g/
>>
>>2242658
This, If you don't like it you can fuck off to /g/
>>
>>2249186
>Over priced laptop marketed to naive artsy people.
They're actually marketed as a productivity tool, the art aspect is just a side point they throw in to get those few niche sales.
>You can get better for cheaper.
Then name them.
Because SP1 and SP2 are still great tablets for the price, there's also that new Chinese tablet 'Cube i7 Stylus' that's just basically an SP2 but with newer parts for cheap. These sorts of things ARE the cheap alternatives to the "real deal" like Cintiqs and Cintiq Companions, which run into the thousands in terms of price.
But clearly you know all, feel free to share the even cheaper alternatives to the already cheap alternatives.
>>
>>2242650
ipad pro master race
>>
>>2250220
Would you say the cube i7 is worth it or do you know of any other alternatives? I don't quite have the cash for a surface pro and I am loooking for something hopefully at $200
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.