[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about the 80's anime aesthetic that makes it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 43
File: dirtypair.png (1 MB, 706x1020) Image search: [Google]
dirtypair.png
1 MB, 706x1020
What is it about the 80's anime aesthetic that makes it so appealing?
>>
Fuck off, /m/
>>
>>2225714
It was designed for young adults that were more mature during the time that it aired. Now a days it's more about appealing to teenager's and a generation of people that never want to grow up.that's why all the grit was taken out of it, for maximum escapism.
>>
idk but I love it tbh fam
>>
Hate to sound like a piece of shit weeaboo, but what are considered some really neat old school anime? I loved the art style back in the 80s/early 90s.
>>
>>2225722
Go watch the bubble gum crisis OVA's
>>
>>2225714
Kei>Yuri
>>
>>2225714
washed down colors, grainy looking linework and most importantly nostalgia
>>
>tfw no cat girl gf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibfk0fPIMcM
>>
>>2225718
Anime still appeals to young adults. The difference is the quality/maturity of young adults these days are poor. Most young adults nowadays still act like outright children who aren't old enough to procreate and it shows with the direction the market has taken.
>>
>>2225714
its not that appealing compared to the better newer ones
>>
File: tumblr_nuws3zezyP1txjysio1_1280.jpg (399 KB, 1280x926) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuws3zezyP1txjysio1_1280.jpg
399 KB, 1280x926
Vintage shojo manga has such a bizarre style, but I fucking love it.
>>
A lower and more balanced palette
>>
>>2225743
what
>>
>>2225714
what's wrong with her face
>>
Nostalgia.
>>
>>2225747
that m4a1 is too small.
>>
>>2225819
I've never seen that show in the op but the design looks more appealing to me than most current designs. Seriously Haruhi and Code Geass and all that stuff looks legit like garbage in comparison, at least when it comes to character art.
>>
>>2225714
Meatier proportions, there's more general sex appeal. Also better shading.
>>
less blob. man was not made to love a marshmallow face.

>>2225832
i never understood that design choice for the haruhi series. the illustrations for the novel were animu-staple appealing and the studio turned them into a style that was just plain ugly. and yet people ate it up. it felt like i was in bizarro world.
>>
>>2225774
the quality newer ones look better, eg. Space dandy, FMAB, death billiards
>>
>>2225863
Look "Better" =/= Appeal
>>
>>2225856
>i never understood that design choice for the haruhi series. the illustrations for the novel were animu-staple appealing and the studio turned them into a style that was just plain ugly. and yet people ate it up. it felt like i was in bizarro world.
This isn't directly related, but I've never understood how anyone could tolerate the art style they used for clannad. ugliest shit i've ever seen and a big reason i never touched it
>>
>>2225876
same studio, i think.
that makes sense, actually. i can totally see the last dregs of the clannad style in the haruhi style, which finally got dumped when they moved on to k-on. way too blobby for my tastes, but not actively ugly to look at.

but yeah, idgi. okay, so the original series had shit art because they couldn't budget good stuff. shouldn't the anime be used to improve on the visuals, rather than crystalize them?
>>
I think most of it depends on the lead artist, a lot of the time the lead artists of the day might have some similar visual memes though.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the drawing "symbols" or memes were different. The noses were generally small but were actually features that took up a sizeable portion of the face in comparison to a lot of today's anime, some of them even having bottom planes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRzqjOyeSNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFBI52HvjbI
>>
>>2225714
As opposed to something else, or just generally?

I think it shares a lot of qualities with european comic books from around the same time, particularly the scifi genre.
>>
>>2225740
classic textbook example of confirmation bias right there. Good job on making conclusions from your single datapoint.
>>
File: 494144_1376805026718_400_300.jpg (24 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
494144_1376805026718_400_300.jpg
24 KB, 400x300
i will bump this fam
>>
>>2225714
Your goggles are just foggy. Anime today looks gorgeous and the colors are cheese cake tasty. My only gripe with present day anime is the 3DCG for the very simple things animators used to animate (smoke, fire, wind); it has that computer generated look instead of its old, slow timing look which made anime look past-time dreamy. Only 2 studios keep away from doing that I think.
>>
File: CLANNAD-01.jpg (142 KB, 1023x639) Image search: [Google]
CLANNAD-01.jpg
142 KB, 1023x639
>>2226192
>cheese cake tasty

You mean str8 up cheesy fam

This isn't necessarily about the colors but the linework and the different way they'd draw things like eyes, noses and so on.

smh just smh
>>
File: 1412484502095.jpg (129 KB, 1280x480) Image search: [Google]
1412484502095.jpg
129 KB, 1280x480
>>2225714
Nostalgia
>>
>>2225827
it's an illusion, the eyes are big
>>
>>2226223

That's not a fair comparison, Milky Homes is timeless, an ageless classic.
>>
I think it has a lot to do with the style being practically extinct, a product of it's time. We tend to appreciate vintage things since they evoke nostalgia, in a sense.

Also, keep in mind that we've curated the "80's anime to watch" list over the years so it's easy to think that every anime was great back then.
>>
>>2226223
The girl on the left's nose impression is like 8 times the size of the girl on the right's. The secret of 80's and 90's anime is noses.
>>
>>2226192
colour in anime today doesn't look as good to me, it looks plastic and cheap. I like the grainy desaturated look that older anime has.
>>
>>2226223

>Implying it's not mostly "born in the wrong decade" hipsters with slight nostaliga
>>
>>2226233
yeah, we have the benefit of hindsight, the only 80's animes you hear about will either be really good or really bad because anything mediocre was forgotten

>>2226248
you gotta remember that anime budgets were higher back in the day, and they also HAD to use cel-sheets with acrylic paint. combined with the camera's they used, it led to even the most chaotic color schemes having some sense of harmony through desaturation and exposure styles.
nowadays, most work is made on a shoestring budget in retas pro, and the anime industry has shifted towards making as many cheap shows as they can in the hopes that one of them will be a big hit (kinda like the japanese games industry's mobile focus as of late).
also note that the anime demographic, while always being otaku and children, has shifted more towards the extremes because that's where the money is apparently
>>
>>2226265
Interesting. Can you expand on the shifts in budgets and demographics more? How much cheaper are they being made? Are they really cutting more corners than before? If you watch old Gundam episodes you can see they reuse the same animations sequences a lot, and I don't see that in modern ones. I suspect that budget and time has always been an issue, no? Plus it seems modern anime (from what I've seen) has really focused on getting more crazy and dynamic and flashy action scenes than ever before, and I imagine these are rather expensive to animate.
>>
>>2225827
It's not an M4a1.

It's a CAR15 Commando or XM177.
>>
>>2226192

>Gorgeous
>Blue skies, white clouds, Tokyo suburbs, disgusting moeblob faces and unnatural hair/eye colors everywhere

GEE HOW INVENTIVE AND CLEVER, EVERY ANIME BEYOND 1999 DOESN'T LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THIS
>>
>>2226210
to be fair, clannad is the poster child of shitty looking anime art.
>>
File: weddingpeachstart9Y091.jpg (91 KB, 300x453) Image search: [Google]
weddingpeachstart9Y091.jpg
91 KB, 300x453
>>2226328
>Blue skies, white clouds, Tokyo suburbs

It's pretty much the heart of Japan. What are you trying to get at?

>disgusting moeblob faces
your mothers face is disgusting
>unnatrual hair/eye colors everywhere
Lets not turn this thread into yet another you know what thread that has been debated a bajillion times. If you've watched enough anime, hell even this seasons (see Gate for example), you would know why there is different hair/eye color. Do not try to derail talking about this.
>>
>>2226210
god damn, their eyes are so fucking big, I wanna rip them out and skull fuck their heads!!!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMxPrf29YG8
>>
>>2226351
2000's is still in use
>>
File: 1441596584965.gif (2 MB, 265x308) Image search: [Google]
1441596584965.gif
2 MB, 265x308
i thought panty and stocking was pretty shit until I watched it, and understood the choices made.

old style > new style tho.

>>2226345
best post
>>
File: 1422118308839.jpg (26 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
1422118308839.jpg
26 KB, 495x495
All anime sucks.
>>
File: edward_and_ein.jpg (59 KB, 623x460) Image search: [Google]
edward_and_ein.jpg
59 KB, 623x460
I Iike the look of 90s and early to mid 00s anime. The 80s stuff looks, Idk muggy and old, while the stuff today looks too digital, stiff, and just soulless.The look Cowboy Bebop has is where anime peeked
>>
>>2226365
>muh handpicked toonamay anime
>>
>>2226369
dont hate, yuyu hakusho, and outlar star were beast
>>
File: Aisha Clan-Clan.jpg (64 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Aisha Clan-Clan.jpg
64 KB, 720x480
>>2226373
This. I thought Outlaw Star was fucking retarded before I ended up watching it (spaceships with little hands ffs), after giving it a shot though it was fantastic.
>>
File: 1221974639377.gif (214 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1221974639377.gif
214 KB, 720x480
>>2226387
>best character

that was my waifu before i knew what anything was. you know the people who made this was bros, cuz literally EVERYONE wanted to see aisha naked, and they fucking delivered HARD
>>
>>2226342

>It's pretty much the heart of Japan. What are you trying to get at?

I'm saying that anime now is very creatively myopic; it doesn't really go beyond contemporary Japanese slice-of-life themes. And duh I understand that they're trying to appeal to Japan, but older anime branched out a bit more. I think one of the big reasons why something like Attack on Titan stands out is because no matter what you think of it, it's at least on the surface very different from the other options today. It's not blatantly shonen shit, has characters of different/established ethnicities, and has a story that has international appeal. It doesn't even do those elements that well but the fact that it attempts it is kind of refreshing. It also seems like something that would encourage more risky and less derivative work.

>>2226351

This is dead on. The 2010s version is just this crisp series of vectory art with a chipmunk nose, a mouth that can be drawn in one stroke, and eyes that don't even resemble real human eyes. Anime has become so stylized its now completely disconnected from its humanity, and without that it could barely be considered art.
>>
>>2226427
>and eyes that don't even resemble real human eyes.
>eyes are ovals instead of rectangular blobs
>>
>>2226328
That's some incredibly dumb critique.
>>
>>2226427
> Anime has become so stylized its now completely disconnected from its humanity

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Late 90s / early 00s anime was WAY more heavily stylized than today's anime. The huge bug eyed monsters from the 90s luckily don't exist anymore.

I mean, how the fuck can you even quote >>2226351 and then go on about how anime is only NOW disconnected from humanitY? Do you honestly think any of those other versions look more based in reality than the 2010 one? Just look at the 2000 version and the 2010 version. The only major difference is that the 2000 version has even more ridiculously stylized and huge eyes. If anything, the 2010 version looks closest to the 80s version, whereis 90s and 00 clearly are by far aesthetically the ugliest.
>>
File: the fuck.gif (818 KB, 255x231) Image search: [Google]
the fuck.gif
818 KB, 255x231
>>2226440
>If anything, the 2010 version looks closest to the 80s version
>>
>>2226427
>I'm saying that anime now is very creatively myopic; it doesn't really go beyond contemporary Japanese slice-of-life themes.

Do you even watch current anime? Granted the pic I posted is from a waste of time anime but

>and has a story that has international appeal

Nooooo. Otaku do not want international appeal. That's where you get SJWs to come in and kill the industry quickly. The reason why anime has lasted this long away from their grips is because it mostly appeals to men and children up to their mid 30s who shun reality. And thankfully it will stay that way for another decade or 2 thanks to the people who grew up with the medium in the 90s.
>>
>>2226448
>That's where you get SJWs to come in and kill the industry quickly
>implying the industry isn't already dying quickly
>implying otaku and their "tastes" aren't mostly responsible

well, at least kickstarter might help
>>
>>2226448
Waste of time? Do you even understand how well the 3 LN's of Yuusha sold? Educate yourself you fucking idiot
>>
>>2226448

You can have international appeal without pandering to SJWs. Jesus Christ, why is there no middle ground anymore? Does this entire site think that Anita Sarkeesian rules the world?

> The reason why anime has lasted this long away from their grips is because it mostly appeals to men and children up to their mid 30s who shun reality. And thankfully it will stay that way for another decade or 2 thanks to the people who grew up with the medium in the 90s.

Yep, and it's also why it has a neckbeard stigma. We could have anime like Cowboy Bebop that touches all bases but instead we need fanservice that leads nowhere because otakus are such cuckphobes that they can't stand seeing their animu waifu with anyone other than generic brown-hair insert protagonist. The women are all boring and pure and almost by some kind of MPAA-like code they must have eyes only for the main guy. There hasn't been a Revy or a Ryoko or a Faye Valentine in the last 15 years. Just more cookie-cutter waifu templates.

I don't think you're entirely wrong because I think a lot of anime's audience wants it all to follow the same mold, but a little dose of variety would be nice. No one ever thought TV shows would gain the artistic legitimacy they have now; for the longest time it was seen as trash next to film. Anime could have a similar renaissance if it wanted to. It's a business and does fine playing it safe, but it would take the slightest bit of forward-thinking to make it not look like cynical commercial weeaboo trash.
>>
>>2226448
Fuck that anime man. Literally Mafia/Town of Salem/Werewolf: The Anime
>>
I don't like how 80's anime females had tiny ass hips and man shoulders (look at Shirow's pinups of Motoko from the manga)

That said a lot of good productions and manga are from the 80's
>>
>>2226490
Huurr we're trapped in a sand tomb for 9 episodes durr - the anime. Literally want my life back. The only redeeming quality that show had is the OST and of course whited haired waifu. I fucking hate when good OST is composed for shit shows.

I bet you're one of those people who think overlord is shit.

>>2226491
>why is there no middle ground anymore?
Because you give an inch and they would take a mile. Never give an inch.
>but a little dose of variety would be nice

I don't disagree with you there but limit it to 3 snowflake gems per year maximum. Any more than that and the Anita clones will get uppity.
>>2226492
Yes it was trash. Which was a shame with all the aztec(?) influence.
>>
>>2225722
Fist of the North Star should be an obvious one. You have to appreciate the campy manliness.
>>
>>2225714
My only gripe is that nobody does nice pinups proportions in anime anymore.
There's something about these 80s bodies that get me going.
>>
>>>/a/ tbh
>>
File: 1439251575722.jpg (357 KB, 636x2850) Image search: [Google]
1439251575722.jpg
357 KB, 636x2850
>>2225722
Seconding Bubblegum Crisis. Don't watch Bubblegum Crisis 2040, though.
Also

Black Magic M-66
Cyber City Oedo 808
Robot Carnival
Tatakae!! Iczer-1
Twilight of the Dark Masters
Vampire Hunter D

If you're fond of weird artsy shit, Angel's Egg is worth a look.
>>2226192
>Anime today looks gorgeous
I don't agree. I guess if you watch Blu-Ray releases only, but even then they're not great. Sailor Moon Crystal is a good example, because it's not only inferior to the previous version, the fixes aren't even that good.

One of the big differences is that anime people remember from the late 80s/early 90s tend to be OAVs, which had higher production values than TV anime. A lot of TV anime from the 80s and 90s are completely forgotten.

Anime is a much larger industry these days compared to then, and things seem to have a shorter turnaround, and there seems to be a lot of studios going for "safe" series that have a good chance of making their money back, while the stuff remembered from the 80s/90s had more freedom and was more experimental.
>>2226265
This guy gets it.
>>2226271
Gundam was a TV anime, and there was actually more OVAs than TV anime back in the day, and now it's completely the other way around. In the late 80s there might be 12 anime over the entire year, and 30-40 OVAs, now there's like 30+ anime a season with 10+ OVA/films.
>>2226448
>That's where you get SJWs to come in and kill the industry quickly.
>implying Japanese execs will give even the merest bit of a fuck that middle-class american white girls whine about their product on tumblr
>>
>>2226600
You are aware that they're made shitty on purpose then revamped for the blu-ray version because that's their main money-maker.
One blu-ray set containing 4 episodes will typically sell for the equivalent of $50 in Japan.
It's been done so much that it's expected, so companies will fix small things just to say they did it exclusively for the blu-ray version even if the fixes are unnecessary/worse.
>>
>>2226600
Nobody wants nobody likes gaylor moon but the nostalgia weenies. Toei could have done a baggin' good job on it if they wanted to but did so on purpose because they don't want to take away from pretty cure (good on them too). Fuck sailor moon.
>>
>>2226619
Yes, I know. Most anime these days bank on DVD sales and merch to make their money.
>>2226625
So they wouldn't cannibalize their own sales? I don't really believe it. Sailor Moon has a fanbase far beyond Japan, far, far larger than Precure, and fucking it up was basically throwing money in the bin that could have gone in their pockets. The people who buy Precure would have bought it anyways, and way, way more people would(and probably did anyways) buy Sailor Moon.
>>
>>2226625
I like Gaylor Moon. I like watching gay girls be gay homo fags. Why aren't there more shows about gay girls?
>>
I want /a/ to leave.
>>
>>2226639
Sailor moon has ran its course. The senshi designs are way outdated to appeal to younger girls these days (limited color pallet) and we all know there are barely any toy ideas they can bank off the franchise with that demographic. It relied on its filler episodes which the original did well in so a remake was bound to be shit 'staying truthful to the manga'.

It would have been a temporary win and franchise suicide for precure had they put it on a sunday slot and take away the talent pool from Gopri. They knew what they were doing.
>>2226649

Yuri is >>>/u/ away, son.
>>
>>2226672
>The senshi designs are way outdated to appeal to younger girls these days
That's because the magical girl genre doesn't try to appeal to young girls anymore
>>
>>2226677

Yes yes we have the weirdo 28 year old salerymen buying the snacks and keychains but it's still supposed to be for girls. Imagine picking up a folder of sailormoon with washed out colors from the 90s for your daughter to take to school. It just looks ugly and outdated.
>>
>>2226681
bleh
>>
>>2226365
nah. 80's was the peak 90's had some reminiscent elements but it was turning point. not as bad as 00-05 but rather the calm before the storm.
>>
File: 0GACCIH.jpg (566 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
0GACCIH.jpg
566 KB, 1920x1200
We have the exact same shit nowadays though, only it's no longer targeted at little girls.
>>
>>2226223
tbh the one on the right looks plastic and unnatural. Seriusly wtf, is her hair taken from a doll? Compare that to the natural looking hair on the left. The face on the right has random bits of modeling that make no sense, whereas the one on the left retains simplicity with a tasteful flat tone. Basically the new stuff looks artificial and overrendered, but that only happens in shit anime imo.
>>
>>2226764
>calling milky holmes shit

You.Take.That.Back.
>>
>>2226770
All anime is shit.
>>
>>2226775
WHEN YOU WERE BORN YOU WERE COVERED IN SHIT
>>
>>2226571
yep. Nowadays they make their bodies too slender. But plump thighs and calves are great, plus the navel line makes her look like she's fertile as fuck. It's obvious that the artist has done his figure drawing.
>>
>>2226770
I didn't call anyone shit. I don't know who this milky holmes is, I'm just saying the pic on the right is completely different from the one on the left.
>>
>>2226785
>I don't know Milky Homes and yet I opine on anime
>>
>>2226789
yep. Plus, my analysis is on point. It's incredible the shit you can get away with, when you have a working brain!
>>
>>2225714
because you are a retarded weaboo who isn't in to real art.
>>
File: Got my BFA did.png (727 KB, 894x1102) Image search: [Google]
Got my BFA did.png
727 KB, 894x1102
>>2226873
>>
File: 1440783589888.jpg (92 KB, 611x811) Image search: [Google]
1440783589888.jpg
92 KB, 611x811
>>2226440
>disconnected from its humanity

MIYAZAKI WAS RIGHT
WHY DIDN'T YOU LISTEN?

trash...
>>
>>2226937
Way to miss Miyazaki's point, idiot.

He's not talking about visuals, but rather characters themselves.
>>
>>2226940
He is still talking about the visuals to though dingus
>>
>>2226937
I enjoy Miyazaki's work but in the end he does so little of it that he's almost an irrelevant part of Studio Ghibli, yet his name carries so much weight that they won't be able to keep going without him.
>>
>>2226941
He's not talking visuals in the sense of style, like >>2226937 is talking about, Anon...

He's talking about how characters are portrayed, which has nothing to do with style and how buggy-eyed they are.
>>
>>2226948
Meant to quote:
>like >>2226440 is talking about
>>
I wonder how long until noses completely disappear from anime girls.
>>
>>2226947
dog, he storyboarded the entirety of every film he made (or do you mean that proportionately he does only a small amount of the total output of studio ghibli, in which case i still wouldn't call him irrelevant, but it is true that it's kinna unfair how much people focus on his work as opposed to the other directors like takahata, but he's still directed, written and boarded the majority of their films)
>>
>>2226947
What do you think a director does?
>>
>>2225714
It's over
Just like Viktor Tsoi or URSS
>>
>>2227007
I wonder how long it'll take before someone slaps your stupid face for being so retarded
>>
File: ladsbutt.jpg (19 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
ladsbutt.jpg
19 KB, 480x270
>>2227007
already been done
>>
>>2226600
>Bubblegum Crisis
>Black Magic
>Cyber City Oedo
>Robot Carnival
schway
>>
>>2227701
they need to start making an indentation in the face for a nose, like a negative nose
>>
>>2226874
Still looks better than 99 percent of the mangy shit on here.
>>
File: Rare pro pepe.png (235 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Rare pro pepe.png
235 KB, 500x500
>>2226362
Fair point
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 500x242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 500x242
>>2225747
Bizarre?
>>
>no one mentioning Gundam 0083
It's porn to your eyes
>>
>>2225740
>80's-90's anime is deep into sci-fi/fantasy stuff, looks more "adult" than cartoons and isn't afraid to deal with deep shit
>Current anime is moeblob harem hikkikomori fantasies
>80's-90's cartoons a children's entertainment with plenty of adult themes, jokes, puns and themes for the parents/big bros who happen to be watching
>Current cartoons are randumb over-infantilized safe spaces with shallow bits of mature themes to pretend they're profound and trigger tumblr's kindergarten-level feels.
>80's-90's comics are... literally everything, you can find anything from comedy serials to grittydark edgelord "graphic novels".
>Current comics are diversity pandering to weirdos who like to buy merchandise to feel like they belong in the "nerd culture" bandwagon but don't actually read comics.
>80's-90's music is again literally everything, wether you're in the mood for pretentios "intellectual" prog-rock, whiny nu-metal or bubblegum pop, you got it.
>Current music is afraid to use words longer than 2 syllables in it's lyrics, if it even has lyrics in the first place and isn't all marbles on an old blender sounds.

They said globalization would make the world a better place with more cultured and informed people producing more creative and deep artworks.
>>
>>2226351
The 80's one looks so good. It actually has a three dimensional nose and I love the mouth. Damn this is the first time I want to draw anime
>>
>>2225714
>implying
>>
just saying
https://www.youtube.com/user/ArtzieMusic/videos
>>
>>2228054

I think you're very accurate.

Now something that keeps me from watching any new anime is that EVERY THEME has to have a stupid loli with the most high pitched voice they can find and she has to talk screaming every fucking time.
>>
>>2228079
so whos the loli in shingeki no kyojin?
>>
Went in expecting something good.
Holy shit what a shitthread.
>>
>>2228083

I was the one who posted that and I know there are animes that doesn't follow those patterns, like GitS or Shingeki, those are actually interesting... But they're the 1%.
>>
>>2228083
So who's even a remotely believable character in Attack on Titan?
>>
>>2226783
Exactly.
Today's bodies look like they're hollow.
And I do still watch quite a lot of Chinese cartoons but the females just aren't as erotic as they used to be.
>>
>>2225714
High contrast, fuzzy lines, rich colours and noise filter.
>>
where can i go to snatch a visual library for this stuff?
>>
It's funny how /ic/ adores normie anime, anything that was on Toonami/Ghibli that they watched in their childhoods. As soon as they get out of their teens they turn militantly autistic over anything that isn't 2deep4u muh symbolism anime.
>>
>>2229561
post examples of both kinds you named
>>
>>2229561
nah bruh, DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho are probably top 2
>>
File: fedora_429.jpg (32 KB, 482x482) Image search: [Google]
fedora_429.jpg
32 KB, 482x482
>>2229561
>it's funny how
>>
>>2226716

>and much BETTER
>>
>>2226677
I watched that show when I was 7, and loved it.

I'm not really sure what age group it was originally meant for, if younger teen, then you are probably right, but younger girls, the ones who run around with frozen stuff now a days, probably wouldn't mind the classic design, just as they don't mind the Disney princesses dresses.
>>
File: rd5v7O5.jpg (50 KB, 396x700) Image search: [Google]
rd5v7O5.jpg
50 KB, 396x700
>>2229572
>>
>>2225714

There's a heavier focus on mechanical objects than organic objects.
>>
I dunno but now I have to watch Spriggan!
>>
>>2226940
>He's not talking about visuals
He was specifically referring to animation and saying that most animators no longer go out and observe the subtleties of human movement and interaction. It was from some behind-the-scenes clip for whatever film I can't remember.
>>
>>2229711
I what from The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, and it sure seems like he was talking about how characters are depicted rather than animated.
>>
File: horriblerealization.png (506 KB, 782x515) Image search: [Google]
horriblerealization.png
506 KB, 782x515
>>2226947
>mfw i remember the best successor miyazaki had is fuckin dead

yoshifumi kondo why ;_;
>>
>>2229836
>successor
the dude was only 9 years younger. basically blood bros

and
>animators living long lives
hehe... ;_;
>>
>>2229842
That's enough for two more movies at least.
>>
File: 075.jpg (141 KB, 800x1145) Image search: [Google]
075.jpg
141 KB, 800x1145
oh this thread is still up

having a translator would be great wouldn't it?
>>
>>2228054
anime in the 80-90's was during a bubble where they could produce almost anything and proffit.

current anime... i dont want to call moeblob, there are some but god damn if those are on your radar somethings wrong with you, there may be 1-4 a season that are worth paying attention to, not watching, just paying attention.

old cartoons... yea, lets make cartoons to drive toy sales... never understood what people love and fetishize about older cartoons, new cartoons... i honestly think there are some gems in there right now that will pass the test of time... if you go ever older back to tom and jerry or wb in its prime... there are some cartoons that are ageless, but its all slapstick

music in the 80's... major players were more open to metal and non formula music,

the 90's came and they were less open to it and emo slipped in hardcore.

today almost no major player will take a chance on non formula music, that's why you have to go more for an indie scene,

and as for globalization, no, it will in time make a homogenized product that lacks any appeal for being different and from an area in specific... its partially what makes anime and manga good, japan doesn't give one fuck about other regions.

>>2225728
used actual cels, not digital, there is a charm to this that just isn't there in full digital.

>>2225863
took a random space dandy still... nope, these guns have far more detail, and the hair has actual shades to it and isnt just black. SD may be smoother, and possibly have better animation over all, but this is still more detailed, and note that im only talking about the moving parts, not the still background things.

>>2226271
i imagine the budgets have state relatively the same, the issue is 20000000 yen in the day got you a fuck load more than than it does now. also, new gundam if i'm not mistaken the robots are cg, so its easier to animate a new pose and looks better than if they if they did not.
>>
>>2229580
the show had canonical lesbians and a futa bad girl... so year, kids in japan.
>>
>>2225722
slayers, the oav's the movies
tenchi muyo
maybe rune soldier
el hazard, i prefer the tv over the oav's but thats because of that fucking lesbian that makes me hate lesbians.
hard to go wrong with the first few seasons of ranma half
god, i fucking blank when i have to think of 80's and 90's only
gokuto
there are alot more than i just cant think of, i may look through a list of what i have seen some time later and add.
>>
>>2229561
well, toonami hand picked shit that would sell to an american audience, its shows that regardless if it played they we would have enjoyed.

and anyone who cant enjoy something like photon is dead to me anyway.

also, fuck the 2deep4u anime... very few of them ever turn out good.
>>
File: 033.jpg (113 KB, 800x1167) Image search: [Google]
033.jpg
113 KB, 800x1167
>>
>>2230188
futa.. you mean Seiya? S/He transgendered, if anything
>>
>>2225714
I'd say the aethstetics of anime were good up until 2000. After that, less and less was hand drawn, and the demographic started to change drastically.

Many modern anime styles have morphed into something that quite literally makes no sense, and couldn't exist in a three dimensional space. The sense of form is gone, and I think it's a result of people actually adopting the mistakes and flaws of popular artists, and mistaking it as style.
Look at something like Code Geass. Everything is just a broken, unappealing mess, where the faces look weird because the artist doesn't seem to understand form, and can't draw anything at an unusual angle.

>>2226351
The 90s picture is way off and looks more like early 2000s, with the exception of a tiny handful of shows. It's not like Slayers was the norm back then.
>>
File: gscrd.png (780 KB, 1332x566) Image search: [Google]
gscrd.png
780 KB, 1332x566
I sorta feel that Gunsmith cats was a dab of 80's with the seemingly new style that was the 90's

Given that it was made in the 90's ofcourse. I also imagine it helped that Riding Bean was the predecessor to Gunsmith Cats too.

Pic: Gunsmith cats, Riding Bean
>>
>>2230207
all i remember is there was a chick with a dick in the japanese version
could be transgendered, i dont know, all i know is she had a dick and because its not a porn, we probably never good a good look under the balls.
>>
>>2225714
Its less of a drawing of a drawing than today's...
>>
File: Seiya-SailorStarFighter.jpg (92 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Seiya-SailorStarFighter.jpg
92 KB, 1024x768
>>2230255
There was an actual dick shown? Was it a monster? Seiya is an alien who looks like/is a human girl when transformed, and boy when civil. S/He had a crush on Usagi/sailor moon.

While Haruka, sailor uranus is a girl who cross-dresses, Seiya actually has a dick in Earth civil form.
>>
File: trapp3.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
trapp3.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
>>2225714
Check out the Trapp Family anime, great animation
>>
File: 1428322264648.jpg (59 KB, 636x856) Image search: [Google]
1428322264648.jpg
59 KB, 636x856
>>
File: images+%2813%29.jpg (25 KB, 342x430) Image search: [Google]
images+%2813%29.jpg
25 KB, 342x430
>>2225714
>>
>>2230268
it has been so long sense i watched it so i cant say.
>>
>>2230361
I unironically love it.
>>
>>2230268
It was a character. I probably blowing smoke up your ass but i think it was the one they based elsa from frozen on. I'm sure im wrong. I think she was in part 2 or 3 with the clown tent that magically appears in the city. She's (he) was a circus performer.
>>
File: tumblr_n19g69B5DZ1qkxmmno1_500.jpg (94 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n19g69B5DZ1qkxmmno1_500.jpg
94 KB, 500x750
>>2225714
it's old enough to be cool again instead of just outdating. fashion, music, aesthetic, all these things run in 30 year cycles. stop making up this nostalgic shit about animu ever being good enough to have declined in quality.
>>
File: Fisheye.disguise01.jpg (45 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Fisheye.disguise01.jpg
45 KB, 720x480
>>2230412
Do you mean Fish eye? Pretty sure "she" is just a trap. But the series sure have some fluid genders and sexuality.
>>
I like it for the

A E S T H E T I C S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXfpwegjT78
>>
anime used to look like this
>>
File: goldenboy6.gif (2 MB, 330x270) Image search: [Google]
goldenboy6.gif
2 MB, 330x270
>>
>>2230357
Interesting that every 80s girl had red hair.
>>
File: anime-girls-over-30-years.jpg (445 KB, 1500x1080) Image search: [Google]
anime-girls-over-30-years.jpg
445 KB, 1500x1080
>>
>>2231096
Golden boy was so much fun.
>>
>>2231126
so many look like they are walking/standing on their toes
>>
>>2231126
rolling
>>
>>2231126
who is the nude 05-girl?
>>
I really appreciate that Masaaki Yuasa exists and has opportunity to do his style for whole series of anime. Too bad dumbfucks don't watch his stuff because they think it's "ugly".
>>
>>2231422
the tsundere from "Girls Bravo!"

>>2231126
85-94 golden age
>>
>>2226716
ya just older men.
>>
>>2231832
Who want to be little girls.
>>
https://youtu.be/3l3yEGblTj8
>>
>>2225714
When anime characters had normal face expressions
<-- die
>>
>>2228054
Music today is more diverse than ever. If you don't know of anything recent that's good is your own fault.
>>
>>2231096
>>2231127

I just finished Golden boy, and really liked it! Any other recommendations with the same level of animation?
>>
Nothing will look like this again. https://youtu.be/yZ6Jn-RnqQ8
>>
I want /a/ to leave.
>>
>>2226937
>>2226940
>>2226948
So basically that confirms what I've been thinking myself too. Almost all of the characters in anime seem off and all the parts with socialization are fake as fuck. As if portrayed by someone who hasn't really socialized with anyone but has an impression of how he thinks it looks like. It's mostly extremely simplistic and nearly childish.

>hey, friend, want to hear a joke?
>sure bro, tell me the joke!
>JOKE
>hahahah man that was a good joke, you always tell good jokes and make me laugh
>>
>>2232511
To add I always thought wapanese in general were autistic as fuck and most of their social interactions were merely imitations and simulations of what they've observed from TV or some other media. The limited personal experience with them confirms it, too.

But maybe it's just the spergs. Anyone else noticed something similar?
>>
https://youtu.be/ZFEmkz3eaP0
>>
>>2232514
It's just the spergs

That's like saying that people who watch sports are all meatheads or people who enjoy music are all... well you know how musicians are and the stuff songs are about
>>
>>2232096
No idea really. I came across it in Highschool. You might look up the author of the series or the studio and see what they produced.
>>
>>2225995

except hes right.
>>
>>2225714
Is it weird to like just about everything to do with the anime art style, all except for the way eyes and hair are drawn?
>>
>>2232094
>2232094
Indie art is always diverse, the music industry today is utter shit.
>>
>>2234059
see >>2228076
>>
>>2232096
great teacher.. something something was similar
>>
>>2234600
great teacher onizuka?

this thread is actually kind of fascinating.

>>2230357
this image suggests that noses and faces really do lose definition, overall. of course, we don't know how hard the creator of this image decided to cherry pick distinctive-looking old shows.

>>2226265
>and they also HAD to use cel-sheets with acrylic paint. combined with the camera's they used, it led to even the most chaotic color schemes having some sense of harmony through desaturation and exposure styles.

this also makes sense. it's easier to forgive flaws when they're somewhat covered up this way.

this thread made me remember how much I actually appreciate elaborate fantasy/sci-fi visuals. anime and anime-art games were always fighting to get your attention no matter what, coating their unapologetic escapism with as much sex and violence and flashiness as can be crammed into your eyes without exceeding their budget. fuck, I miss being young and naive.

>>2225718
anime was always kind of ridiculous and focused on maximum escapism for teenagers - it's probably just worse today because the studios are aware of how pathetic their most hardcore customers are yet they have to pander to these fans specifically for merch bux.
>>
>>2234707
The anime of GTO is garbage on all fronts, stay away from it... Read the manga instead.
>>
>>2233134
That's a good idea, I'll do that!

>>2234600
>>2234707
I'm thinking of checking it out.. Started watching it a few years back but dropped it, but my taste might have changed!

>>2234748
I'm not really in the mood to read manga right now, I want good anime.
>>
>>2234756
Oh fuck off
>>
>>2234756
If you want good anime you won't find it with Great Teacher Onizuka: it's an insult to the original.
>>
>>2232096
Ping pong the animation, honestly one of my favs to date, both story and animation wise. Gets me hard every time I watch it. If you like it watch tekkonkinkreet and mind game as well.
Classics like ghost in the shell, akira, paprika and cowboy bebop you've probably seen but all really good watches if you haven't. A newer one but with pretty solid animation was sword of the stranger. Redline you've probably seen.
>>
>>2234812
The anime is still good, it's just inferior to its original material.

Two different things.
>>
File: fsd43.jpg (138 KB, 1014x1024) Image search: [Google]
fsd43.jpg
138 KB, 1014x1024
The reason for my fascination is that 80s manner of drawing and animating gives an illusion of being less manafactured and artificial. The style reflects the environment of small studios with passionate people who were often improvising and trying things out. You can feel the people behind them and their choices in design

Modern style reflects more standardized approach. On the board meetings spontaneous, risky ideas are avoided like fire. It's because if you release something that deviates from the established cliche and 6,672% of viewerbase will not get it, it will have detrimental effect on the sales

I don't wish for 80s aeshtetic to come back or anything because I don't watch anime, but I'm pleased by the spontaneous spirit and genuine passion that it expresses
>>
>>2235357
Where do you go for art like this? I really need to hoard some pics to build a decent visual library.
>>
>>2235357
Sauce plox?
>>
>>2226365
This, plus Neon Genesis Evangelion.
>>
>>
I want /a/ to leave.
>>
File: 1294784901433.jpg (375 KB, 571x1577) Image search: [Google]
1294784901433.jpg
375 KB, 571x1577
>>2226351
>>
>>2235507
70's is fucking beautiful
>>
>>2235459
I want reddit to leave
>>
Is the style entirely dependent on who's working on it?
>>
>>2235507
This is is pretty awful.
>>
>>2235507
>>2235511
This
>>
>>2226210
You can tell that it is shit if they all look the same except for their fucking hair.
>>
>>2236079
In manga, maybe, but the limitations of animation and the influence of leiji matsumoto and a few others kept 80s anime to a general aesthetic. Most of it was based on what was selling and some top quality shit was selling in the 80s bubble economy.

What we should really be discussing is how 80s manga was the point when everything blew up and diversified from the initial "schools" of tezuka and others. You saw a massive jump in quality and improved printing methods that fostered the manga that were made into 80s anime.
>>
I wonder if they'll bring 80's style back for some anime. Do you know post 00s anime that use a retro look?
>>
I want /a/ to leave.
>>
>>2239833
well tough shit
>>
>>2225714
the only thing not appeling is the sameface
the rest is wonderfull bodys, weapons, details
>>
>>2226600

What's your beef with 2040?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajTAnMqhZB8
>>
>>2242397

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z53R0LoeV8c
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 704x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 704x400
>>2235507
60's reminds me that I should rewatch Kaiba again
>>
>>2239833
4chan is /a/ faggot
Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.