[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright. Where the fuck do I start. I'm a beginner I read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
Alright. Where the fuck do I start. I'm a beginner

I read the sticky, and lurk a shit ton and apparently the sticky is "useless" or "inefficient"

I've been jumping between Drawing from the Right side of the brain and Loomis because people can't make up their mind and I cant either.

And now I hear Drawabox com is where I should really start.

Where the hell do I start. What books should I follow in what order? Why does everyone point me in a different direction to start?
>>
Seems like you're lost, anon

Remember, no matter what kind of advice you're given, if you feel lost or overwhelmed - just draw. Draw whatever, draw something new, draw something you want, just don't draw something you're used to drawing before. Drawing enough will show you your own weakspots - if you're passionate enough to improve, you'll know where to start. Improvement is a steep slope, though - once you find out you're weak in something like the arm and start practicing it, you'll start falling further and further back until you root your problems in the fundamentals. It's a steep fall we take to get our fundamentals up to speed, and it takes months to years, but the framework is worth it and it'll be with you for the rest of your life. There really isn't a better way to improve your art then to improve your fundamentals: Form, perspective, values, anatomy/gesture, composition, etc...
>>
Read Perspective Made Easy, do drawabox, download torrent containing Dynamic Sketching with Peter Han and Figure Drawing with Hampton. There, that should last ya 6 months.
>>
File: 4869.jpg (114 KB, 1200x662) Image search: [Google]
4869.jpg
114 KB, 1200x662
>>2076356
>Dynamic Sketching with Peter Han

^^ this is a very good one for absolute beginner

Also OP what I did when I was a beginner was I did a series of "tests" to gauge where I was at and what I needed. Out of all my beginner experiences Id say the biggest hurdle and thing that made things better for me was understanding perspective and drawing objects in 3d.

When I started understanding that, I could construct better without things and body parts floating all over the place, things could look solidly placed on surfaces and not look "off", I could do proportions in perspective properly, and could determine faces/angles for light so I could shade as well too.

As much as people like loomis, I found hampton much easier to understand and his shapes/color breakdown methods were super helpful.
>>
Watch Villpu's videos
>>
>>2076335
Focus on whichever, seriously, just stick to something. Not saying you can't switch if it really isn't helping you understand things but you shouldn't drop a book with first difficulty, finish one book/course and then take on another one.
>>
>>2076335
>Drawing from the Right side of the brain

That book is shit and a waste of time.
>>
>>2076425
how so? not challenging you on it, i'm just curious.
>>
>>2076425
It's a huge waste of time if you read it. The only thing that matters is the exercises
>>
>>2076335
Vilppu's (more recent vidoes) > Mark's drawing tutorials > Loomis > hampton > Bridgman's
>>
>>2076497
Who's mark
>>
>>2076500
Mark Crilley :^)
>>
>>2076500
Mark Chong. https://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutorials/videos
>>
File: 1512123125123.jpg (27 KB, 460x282) Image search: [Google]
1512123125123.jpg
27 KB, 460x282
>>2076356
>Dynamic Sketching by Peter Han
>Mfw for an year, I've been looking through both Public and Private Trackers but can't still find the torrent
I'm about to give up ;_;
>>
>>2076539
Isn't it on youtube?
>>
>>2076560
That's only a fraction of the lesson, not the entire lecture
>>
Sticky's pretty good, don't understand what the problem is.

If its discussed more, maybe it can be fixed.
>>
>>2076539
its in CGMW full pack

https://mega.co.nz/#!3IFnDQLL!Bm3j6raJEI64TgomX2_ksfeb3JTOC1Mv5rzbZ-kJKCc
>>
>>2076539
http://cgpeers.com/torrents.php?id=14775&torrentid=14765

Must feel bad to not have a cgpeers account.
>>
>>2076623
whats the point of linking it there?
>>
>>2076539

>paying2pirate
>>
>>2076335
lurk /ic/ for a while and you'll figure everything out
>>
>>2076379

I remember him jumping from doing organic splatter-like forms to insects and other creatures with a great level of detail.

>LOLZ guys, so ez
>>
>>2076335
If you lurk longer you'll find that it's all nothing but conjecture and semantics.

Instruction is only 1/10th of the equation, the only thing that will guarantee results is heartache sweat and the work you put in. If you're pro active you'll find what does and doesn't work along the way, now get drawing.
>>
When people say LOOMIS pretend they said HAMPTON
>>
>>2076379
Been trying to find this. I've had no luck yet.
>>
>>2078078
Nevermind, just saw the Mega.
>>
http://loomisloves.us/wiki/The_W/ic/i
>>
>>2076973

Hampton is my favorite too, loomis is good but his stuff only goes so far
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.