[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it a meme to say you dont practice that much? I ask really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: fg_500.gif (996 KB, 500x268) Image search: [Google]
fg_500.gif
996 KB, 500x268
is it a meme to say you dont practice that much?

I ask really great artists how often they practice and they always say they never practice.

Its bullshit, r-right?
>>
They might have different ideas of practice than they assumed you do. Any great artist does art either a lot or for a very long time. No exceptions.
>>
>>2305908
I'm a really great artist, I practiceD. But the skill remains no matter how long you fuck around. I take more time thinking about my ideas than actually creating them. (not gonna post my art because holy shit fuck you)
>>
To add on to what >>2305912 says, I think that a lot of pros don't "practice" the same way beginners do. Like people on /ic/ will do photo studies and copy out anatomy books and watch video lectures on colour and stuff. But once you reach a certain level you've already done those basic exercises for a number of years and know how light and anatomy work and how to paint and observe things. At that point those exercises are not as useful.

Personally I have basically stopped doing studies the last year or two. I'll still do them on rare occasions, but honestly if I have time to paint for myself and not a client I would rather spend it doing creative work than a study. And with the creative work I can still learn--I'll focus on other aspects of art though like composition or storytelling or design. Of course using reference will still teach me things too if I run into a problem. If I find I need to learn about, say, materials, then I don't need to paint a study of it, I can simply google it and look at various images and then go into my painting and apply that in the area I was struggling with. Same for any other aspect of art, same with master paintings, most of the time I don't think it is necessary for me to actually copy it out. I'm at a point where I can study it through just observing and analyzing it carefully with my eyes.

Also I think certain exercises are kind of stupid to grind at, like spending an hour drawing circles and stuff. It's better to get good at drawing ellipses by using them in an actual drawing. So do some vehicles and draw the wheels out. You'll get more mileage and experience that way than drawing pages of ellipses. Maybe at first they won't be great, but it adds up and it is a better way to learn I think.

So I paint a lot but I don't "practice" a lot, if that makes sense.
>>
>>2305908
Pro don't practice because they're working.. which is pretty good practice. I could see someone taking a break from paid work, though, if they feel they're on autopilot, or in a rut. In such a situation they would be practicing, studying, getting inspired.

But if you aren't busy with something, you might as well practice.
>>
A lot of pros might not 'practice' deliberately but they're constantly honing their skill through their work.
If you're drawing full time you're getting 8 hours of practice a day.
>>
I think I'm a 1%er. I honestly don't practice that much if ever. I think I just started giving a shit about being accurate earlier than most people do. Like in grade 6 I had an awesome teacher who showed me some basics to draw a realistically proportioned human and I was hooked, I spent so much time just drawing random musculature that by the time I got into spending long hours on digital paintings I already had a very solid foundation. To me, I just really enjoyed drawing the kinds of things people consider "practice" so there was no tedium to it. And I got better without really having to "work for it".

Nowadays I always at least one fully fledged painting going on so I try to suck as much practice out of making it as I can. When doing the thumbnails I practice gesture or practice making a figure look grounded in the environment. I'll be thinking a lot about perspective and how to do it better even if it's not going to play a huge role in the over all picture. Things like that.

A good thing to do is that whenever you have a figure in your painting, regardless of whether they are going to be wearing clothes or covered up by most of the environment or whatever, ALWAYS draw their entire body as accurately as possible, like musculature and everything with fine lines. It helps if you have to move them around later on down the road and not be left trying to figure out their anatomy after the fact. Also it is just good practice learning muscles and such even if it's not a focus of the painting.
>>
>>2305929
That's an interesting alien design. Who made it?
>>
>>2305940

>Also I think certain exercises are kind of stupid to grind at, like spending an hour drawing circles and stuff. It's better to get good at drawing ellipses by using them in an actual drawing. So do some vehicles and draw the wheels out. You'll get more mileage and experience that way than drawing pages of ellipses. Maybe at first they won't be great, but it adds up and it is a better way to learn I think.

This is VERY true. It helps you learn because you're doing these circles or whatever within a context. You make a lot more connections between how shapes work, where they work/why they work where they do. Being able to draw a circle doesn't do you much if you dont' know how to use it.
>>
>>2305908
What's this gif from?
>>
>>2306905
Looks like Gendum F91
>>
>>2306901
He did. Cant you read?
>>
>>2306926
Man, I need to watch that again. I don't remember the animation quality being that good.
>>
>>2305908

>they never practice

maybe because I dunno... they're already PROS?

noone is born with an inept talent.
>>
I think a lot of the time pros don't see practice as practice because they enjoy it. Like when I'm bored sitting around doodling things from the TV or drawing with friends it doesn't feel like practice but it is.
>>
>>2307020

>noone is born with an inept talent.

Maybe so, but the early developmental years are crucial and something you have absolutely no control over so if you are born with 'talent' or not is irrelevant, because you may as well be
>>
>>2307033
I love how even this has been debunked. Many art teachers can tell you that it's way easier to teach adults above the age of 25 than younger ones. Not to mention, a lot of kids attempted drawing when they were little and failed. A LOT. It's funny to hear only a handful of them actually got good, yet everyone claims literally everyone did it when they were kids.

And let's say I'm wrong. Who the fuck cares? At the end of the day, just draw and stop being a bitch.
>>
>>2307061

It's not a case of if these kids started drawing early, it's a case of their ability to learn and create which is completely influenced by your upbringing, parents, environment etc. that you have no choice over and of course to some extent your genetics. The idea of nature/nurture being a dichotomy isnt a new one and easily applies itself to creative arts. It's safe to say that people who are master artists could have been masters at anything creative because of how their brain functions and their discipline.

Also I think your 25 years or older is complete bullshit when you see how many young artists there are. Are you really saying that teaching someone nothing in art until 25 is going to make them a better artist? Even considering the 7years+ needed to become good at a skill.

>And let's say I'm wrong. Who the fuck cares?

Nice way to concede an argument. Yes go draw, but you aren't choosing one or the other, do both
>>
>>2307067
>Are you really saying that teaching someone nothing in art until 25 is going to make them a better artist?

Not him, but he probably means that people who start at 25 will be able to pick up the skill quicker than people who start at 14. It's also likely they'll be more deliberate and form less bad habits.
I know a few people who have been drawing since highschool and have hardly improved whatsoever because they're just stuck in the same shitty habits they picked up doodling in their notebook during math class. Someone who takes a serious swing at art at 25 can probably catch up pretty quickly.
Naturally there are plenty of people who draw young and THEN start taking it seriously and actually studying, and they'll naturally have a head start, but I still think on average someone starting at 25 would achieve more improvement in one year (IE from 25 to 26) than a 16 year old from 16 to 17.
And obviously this is averages. We all know there are many skilled young artists, they're absolutely the outliers though.
>>
>>2306954
>not gonna post my art because fuck you
Can you?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.