[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Make comic set in Japan >Tumblr attacks you for cultu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 26
File: 1425396501649.png (515 KB, 698x1080) Image search: [Google]
1425396501649.png
515 KB, 698x1080
>Make comic set in Japan
>Tumblr attacks you for cultural appropriation and fetishization of Japan
>Cancel comic

http://strangestarcomics.tumblr.com/post/112581281801/note-on-mahou-shounen-breakfast-club

How do you deal with the tumblr crowd as an artist, /ic/?
>>
please explain full background of this, because this sounds ridiculous and I am about to rage.
who's attacking the artists and how? why?
are sjw behind this?
>>
File: I ATE PRINCESS GUMBALL.jpg (181 KB, 1200x2000) Image search: [Google]
I ATE PRINCESS GUMBALL.jpg
181 KB, 1200x2000
You don't. No seriously, I think it would be better to ignore those kinds of people. If your art is 'offending' them, they don't have to be fans of your work and there is not point in trying to pander to people who only gave a shit about you because you offended them. If you let them get to you your work will suffer, and why? Just to appease some strangers on Tumblr?

You will never please these kinds of people. If you do one thing right, they bitch about another. You're the artist, don't let other people tell you how to make your art.

Also, Really sucks for those artists, they actually canceled their whole webcomic just for some retards?

If you're that scared of the tumblr crowd then post your work somewhere else.
>>
>>2002460
White girls in college, the first and only line of defense for Japanese cultural posterity
>>
just sent them this

>why don't you tell tumblr to go fuck itself? fuck em, and all of their bullshit borderline-nazi ideals. make your fucking comic and put it out there. you are a weak, pathetic failure for conceding to the masses of idiots whose only meaning in life is to point their greasy fingers and make accusations. fuck you. make your comic.
>>
Offending people is the best way to get noticed as an artist. I say if people are pissed at what you draw, keep doing it.
>>
>>2002463
also by their logic, only Americans can make stories set in American, and Japanese only in Japan and nobody can make stories that take place in space since nobody has any actual experience in outspace except astronauts
>>
>>2002453
im extremely offended that he would pander to people like that - people should have the right to publish whatever they feel like no matter the content.

then again, you really have to question his integrity as an artist that he could be molded by backlash like that. i would never let a bunch of crybabies whine their way into my art.
>>
>>2002453
>How do you deal with the tumblr crowd as an artist, /ic/?
I don't go to tumblr.
>>
>>2002453
Perhaps by making a post mentioning the hundreds of japanese manga that take place in other countries, and instead of cancelling the comic like a faggot? Tumblrites don't like anything, and the more you try to appease them the more they will despise you.
>>
>>2002460
Supposedly the comic had a wrong narrative because it's made by two white people in the USA about Japanese people struggling with Japanese society issues
>>
How to get flamed no matter what you do on Tumblr:

>step 1. be straight
>step 2. be white
>step 3. be male
>>
>>2002453
i sent him a few comments about my opinions on it - i suggest you all do the same. its an awful world we live in when people can strongarm an artist into censoring his own work, even worse is when the artist himself doesnt make a stand out of it.
>>
>>2002481
Yea, i probably wouldnt read it because of that but its the lesser of the two evils.
>>
>>2002460
The campaign was spearheaded by this guy
http://ya-haaa.tumblr.com
>>
>>2002511
he's not even white but some shitty mudslime kek
>>
File: le cultural appropriation face.jpg (89 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
le cultural appropriation face.jpg
89 KB, 500x493
If cultural appropriation is such a big deal maybe they should all fuck off back to whatever shit hole their ancestors crawled out of instead of culturally appropriating white things like cars, airplanes and computers all the time.

>tfw that shithole would be europe 99 percent of the time

white men need to grow some fucking balls and start telling these largely white self-hating effeminate retards and legbeards to blow it out their ass instead of kow-towing to this human garbage at every opportunity.
>>
They only made one issue! How did people conclude it was appropriating and fetishizing japan culture? Does anybody have the discussion were this came up?
>>
>>2002453
Shit like this makes me angry. The artist is effectively letting internet trolls dictate their life, when they could have just ignored their existence altogether. Wave a SJW flag and suddenly a delusional troll becomes scary.
>>
It didn't even seem like it garnered that much criticism (like 200 notes on that one ask that the user mentioned by >>2002511 responded to). Pretty disappointing they gave up after just a few accusatory messages.

Forgoing the entire topic of appropriation, it is a little weird to have a slice of life set in an industry and location that the creators aren't natives of.
>>
>>2002549
>it is a little weird to have a slice of life set in an industry and location that the creators aren't natives of.

How is that weird?
>>
>>2002549
>it is a little weird to have a slice of life set in an industry and location that the creators aren't natives of.
Nah, the style doesn't fit but what you said shouldn't seem weird at all.

I know 3 near top-tier manga artists and like 2 game artists in Japan that favour the works of a foreginer who draws about daily life in Japan.

It's pretty unique and nice to see what people come up with when they don't see their topics surroundings as an everyday thing, and it leads to very nice stylized and creative concepts/ideas.
>>
File: checkem.jpg (158 KB, 704x1080) Image search: [Google]
checkem.jpg
158 KB, 704x1080
>>2002463
My nigga, I have more for you .
CHECKEM

OP Caving in to Tumblr is ridiculous.. they're not even humans, they're like some sort of Hyper evolved trolls.
>>
>>2002553
There is a reason why almost every anime SoLs is set in a Japanese highschool. SoL takes "write what you know" to the extreme. Like Shirobako, that anime that's about the anime production industry. Or why US and UK sitcoms are set in their own countries because that's what they're familiar with and who their audience is. I'm not saying it's a rule or anything, just the norm.

>>2002555
And, yeah, I agree. Different interpretations of the same place is always interesting.

>foreigner who draws about daily life in Japan
Do they do it from the view point of an expat or local? That's interesting to know, either way.
>>
I don't, tumblr is terrible.
>>
>>2002549

Mark Twain wasn't an orphan and didn't own a slave, does that make Adventures of Huckleberry Finn a weird book? Art Spiegelman never faced the horrors his father did, does that make Maus a little weird? Maurice Sendak never had any children, does that make his contribution to children's literature and illustration a little weird?

Part of an artist job is to take an audience to a world they may have never been to or to a world they could never go to. Expecting an artist to have a blood lineage to the subject they are depicting is asking too much and harms the enjoyment of the work. It's a work of fiction not an historical record.
>>
>>2002533
youre not helping by making it seem like the people who oppose censorship are racist. maybe you should just shut up actually.
>>
>>2002453
Its so stupid... So so fucking stupid... looking at shit like this makes me want to kill myself. Fuck everyone and their sensitivities and special retardation.

Tumblr sjws are becoming censorship and it makes me incredibly angry.
>>
>>2002604
Your entire post is spot on but I was referring to slice of lifes particularly. A narrative arc with universal themes is a lot different than cute girls doing cute things.
>>
The problem here is that the makers of the comic are the same brainwashed liberal kids who trashed the comic, so when they were told that their comic was offensive they immediately believed it and were horrified.

It disgusts me that people are so terrified of offending people.
>>
>>2002620
Blow it out your ass. :^)
>>
File: image.jpg (231 KB, 800x1160) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
231 KB, 800x1160
>>2002629
I was about to say, anybody who takes their comic down before it even begins due to offending people... their work probably isn't worth reading.

I guess this just goes to show the bully mentality of progressive types against things they personally find offensive, and how they negatively impact creativity.
>>
>>2002624
>but I was referring to slice of life particularly

How does that change anything?
>>
File: 1424382701334.jpg (267 KB, 800x736) Image search: [Google]
1424382701334.jpg
267 KB, 800x736
>>2002648
Looks like appealing to tumblr pays off.
https://www.patreon.com/jephjacques?ty=a
>>
>>2002741
TOP LOLS at that comic. idc about the guy, he seems boring.
>>
>>2002549
Not really. They lived there, so they have firsthand knowledge of it, and outsider opinions/ideas/ect usually reflect things that a native's work wouldn't.
>>
>>2002749
Jaques? Yeah, he is. So is his comic.
>>
>>2002511
>Jotaro avatar
So wait, the guy has an issue with white guys making a comic based in Japan, but not a Japanese man who has made comics based in Egypt, England, the US...?

Also shame on the creators for bending over so easily. Way to give these unsignificant fucks power.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 480x480
Thread theme

http://youtu.be/-cVp_ow2KTA
>>
that sux and it seems incredibly stupid and then they say /ic is cancer. we should support and fight against this. I bet the authors are just overreacting and should plow through for a couple more months for those gawker commenter of the week fuckwits.
>>
>>2002833
>we should support and fight against this.
By what, posting super mean anonymous messages to the SJWs? :'^( What do you even expect?
>>
>>2002795
To be honest I think the artist isn't white but the dumblr fags bullied him because they thought he was, LOL
>>
>>2002844
It seems like to be successful on tumblr, you need to let it be known that you're of a minority ethnicity, a woman, gay or trans, overweight and a weekly post about the struggle against the straight white man.pow
>>
>>2002859
>It seems like to be successful on tumblr,
Yeah, if you actually believe the SJW side is the end all-be all of fucking Tumblr.
>>
>>2002841
Yeah, it's up to the artist to realize when to throw bad "critique" out. "I'm offended" should never be taken seriously, and as you can see, the artist let that small thing completely stop their project and end that creative work.

But in general, maybe it was best for this person to stop before they could even get started. So be so easily affected so early on doesn't exactly point to a very strong creative work.
>>
>>2002876
http://strangelykatie.tumblr.com/post/110947943942/strangestarcomics-mahou-shounen-breakfast
>Hi everyone! We’re SO EXCITED to finally be launching our new webcomic that we’ve been working on for the past year!
>working on for the past year
That must hurt
>>
Sent a message telling them to have some backbone, because these SJWs dont care about comics or japanese culture, just the rush of moral indignation and no one's going to give them a thank you card for quitting their comic.

I'm not going to read their generic webcomic about literal faggots living in Japan, either. It would just be nice if people stopped appeasing these people.
>>
>>2002473
It shows that you have no experience in this matter. There are people on tumblr who identify themselves as something other than human, so if someone says he's an alien he can draw things in space. Astronauts would be seen as foreign invaders comparable to the conquistadores.
There was one user who identified as a dragon and complained about cultural appropriation in the media, supposedly referring to things like fantasy, D&D etc.
I wish I were kidding.
>>
>>2003020
Well I for one am glad that we've got a containment area for these mentally ill people.
>>
File: 1417975036134.jpg (161 KB, 665x913) Image search: [Google]
1417975036134.jpg
161 KB, 665x913
Why is cultural appropriation a bad thing?
>Japanese appropriated Chinese culture
>Romans appropriated Greek culture
>18th century Europe appropriated French culture
>>
What was the exact argument these SJWs had against the comic? They may have had something of a point. Did anyone in this thread actually read the comic or arguments? I'm not saying that these SJWs were right, but you should never say someone is wrong for who they are vs. what they are actually saying.

Try to remember that it was ultimately the artist's own fault and choice for taking down their comic. Saying that these people on tumblr had no right to complain or express their opinion is censorship as well (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship). Not only that but everyone here is generalizing; this is a very tiny portion of tumblr that got butthurt at this comic. Odds are the majority were fine with it, including many SJWs.
>>
>>2003040
Shill detected.

Thought policing is literally never okay, the slut-shaming of imaginary characters and the whole progressive stack oppressive olympics narrative needs to be demolished before it's too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti7k_xOomXE
>>
>>2003030
because in a modern world with no cultural borders to speak of, appropiated culture isnt just borrowed and adapted, it turns into an unrecognized amalgamation that hurts not only the parent culture but the culture that is borrowed from as well.

this is especially true of japan as it has such an exotic and uncorrupted culture (compared to other countries) due to its historical policies of isolation.
>>
>>2003047
What a joke. Try saying that about white culture outside of 4chan and see what happens nigga
>>
>>2003040
I think the biggest problem here is just an artist without a backbone. But then again, if all it takes is just some people to get a little butthurt to get you to stop your project, i guess there wasn't much motivation to actually do it in the first place
>>
>>2003050
not a joke, give it 50 years bud. whatever, its stupid to tie pathos into as it cant be stopped. its the natural conclusion of a world with instant communication and world wide marketing.

the only way to stop it would be for everyone to exhibit personal accountability and that can never be anything more than a hypothetical situation, which also brings about nasty things such as collective censorship like what you see here.
>>
>>2002453
Ignore them.
>>
>interact with tumblr community
>expect something different than shit can be the result
are you all fucking internet hillibillies or something?
>>
>>2003020
>cultural appropriation of dragon culture.
That made me laugh and then it made me sad. It's like they think that if they believe it and feel it in their heart enough, it has to be true,
>>
>>2003020

Damn, they should have just claimed to be Japanese trapped in a Gaijin body.
>>
>>2003065
>Japanese trapped in a Gaijin body.
so like.. godzilla?
>>
I read the first chapter of the comic (it's only 13 pages.) and I liked it. At first I thought it was some weeb bullshit, but the comic went into a very interesting direction and I actually wanted to see more. I always liked Kaitie's art and I think the story had potential to be at least somewhat engaging. I wanted to see more.

Before I read it I was just mildly tickled that somebody would just drop a comic because of cultural appropriation accusations. It just seems stupid. After reading it, and seeing that there is some love put into it I am mad.The more I think about it, the more mad I get. Not even at the chucklefucks that throw these silly accusations around. There are always gonna be those around. I am mad at the authors.

I have my own webcomic and I would fucking NEVER drop it because some pussies got offended. How the fuck do you even do that? If you read through the comic's blog you can see the authors being very excited for the project. They really believed in it.

But no, some assholes told them that they are not good enough to write about VA's in japan. That it doesn't matter that it's something that they are really interested in. All the research that supposedly went into the comic doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that they actually worked in japan. All the time that went into planning and executing the first chapter doesn't matter. All the fans that were waiting for the project to continue after the first chapter don't matter. All that matters is that the authors aren't Japanese and that somehow makes them not good enough to write a story set in Japan.

AND THE AUTHORS FUCKING AGREED. How pathetic can you be? Have some fucking dignity you goofy fucks. Don't you believe in your project? This is what trying to be politicly correct does to you. It kills you.
>>
>>2003065
They call it being transethnic japanese. It's a thing in their insane minds.
>>
>>2003083
>AND THE AUTHORS FUCKING AGREED. How pathetic can you be? Have some fucking dignity you goofy fucks. Don't you believe in your project?

All you can really do on the internet is: don't be an asshole, and ignore other assholes. Frequenting this place helps a lot with the latter. Builds character. The second you treat everyone on the internet as genuine and worth listening to, you've already lost. If this were lefty's, mikufag's or firez's project, they wouldn't have batted an eye at these SJW trolls.
>>
>>2002482
Just be white.
>>
>>2002453
>Cancel comic
Why the fuck did you stop, do anything you want man. Tumblr is such a shit place. Why did you let them win?
>>
>>2003134
I don't think OP is the creator.

Also, I've been looking over the pictures of the characters and the one that looks like a girl is a dude. Yep. No longer interested.
>>
File: 065.jpg (1 MB, 2104x1476) Image search: [Google]
065.jpg
1 MB, 2104x1476
the director of the souls series, hidetaka miyazaki has stated numerous times that the main inspiration for the lore/story/whatever being convey in such a fragmented way is becauseh e read western fantasy a lot as a child and didnt fully understand it. this made western fantasy incredibly interesting to him, and he replicated that feeling of utter incomprehension by fragmenting the story/lore of the souls series. he takes western fantasy cliches and fucks with them, leaves crucial elements out intentionally, and shit like that which to me is really interesting. i put so many hours into that game cause the lore intrigued me so much, and theres no way in hell it would have been that cool if he hadnt done a "western fantasy" as an "outsider"

i just dont get it. whats wrong with appreciating something and incorporating it into your work. on oe hand we're supposed to be open to diversity and all this shit but then at the same time you can't write about anything that doesn't fit into whatever other people categorize you into be it gender or racial. its like you have to meet a certain criteria before youre allowed to write about shit, but really the idea of someone on the outside looking into a genre and creating something completely unique based on their own misconceptions of the original genre is fascinating to me, i dont understand why people feel the need to police other people creatively. another example is the mother franchise, specifically mother 2, where it was basically a japanese game dev saying "this is what I think america is like". its not offensive tho, its fucking hilarious. what the hell is wrong with people, the creators are equally to blame i guess in this specific case because htey gave in to pressure
fuck that, don't give perpetually offended people power. its not illegal to hurt someones feelings, goddamn

pic related, its a japanese game appropriating Mesopotamian culture by incorporating scorpion men into their story
>>
>>2003093
There are literally no consequences for being an asshole anymore, and in fact it is glamorized by media. The artists of the comic should have been grateful for the free publicity. The tumblr outrage train will have forgotten them in a few days anyway because of the next crime against political correctness.
>>
>>2003169
That's kinda fascinating to read, one of the things I really liked about Dark Souls was that fragmented quality that reminded me of playing JRPGs or watching animes in the '90s.

It also had that sort of unrealistic sense of scale like early video games did, where everything feels so much more compressed than could possibly make sense if you sit and think about it.
>>
File: 024.jpg (2 MB, 1479x2124) Image search: [Google]
024.jpg
2 MB, 1479x2124
>>2003185
i totally agree about the souls game and the strange, collapsed level design. its almost a perfect marriage between the story and game mechanics, like almost everything else in that game. the convenience and ease of use obviously makes the game more enjoyable, theres no huge empty spaces to create a false sense of depth (skyrim) but at the same time it makes the world so much more interesting from a story telling perspective. your character can only explore a fraction of whats out there, and you can catch glimpses of things far away in the distance without knowing exactly what they are.
but without veering totally off topic
>that fragmented quality that reminded me of playing JRPGs or watching animes in the '90s
the only way i was able to watch dbz as a kid was on this international channel where they played the episodes with japanese VA and no english subs, so i know exactly what you mean
a lot of the story translates visually without the use of dialogue but still there are nuances that are lost and even more interesting is all the shit you come up with to fill in the blank space where an explicit story should be. because of this i alwayus thought it would be really cool for someone to draw a comic in the traditional japanese manga style, but with no dialogue or maybe just random words that have nothing to do with any sort of story; basically attempt to emulate that feeling you get as a kid watching something tjat appeals to you visually but you have no clue as to whats actually going on. that sounds like an interesting idea to explore, maybe an opportunity to mess around with cliches and whatnot. but what do i know, apparently im just being racist.
>>
It doesn't even seem like that many people were irate about it.

Selective rage is stupid and there's no reason to cave into it. Eventually it passes as people move onto the next thing. A few weeks ago the neocons I work with were up in arms about Seth Rogens tweet and how he HATED AMERICA. They're mad about something else this week. They'll be mad about something next week.
>>
>>2003030
They missed a class where the teacher explained about globalization and multiculturalism.

You can't have any of those things without cultures clashing and absorbing each other and this train left the station 800+ years ago, just now tumblrettes are catching on, what make things even more crazy those people are probably advocates of open boards policies...

They are trying to preserve a heritage that isn't theirs to defend in the first place and at the same time they want people to blend and mix until there's no cultural difference between us, go figure...
>>
I want to piss off tumblr to get weirdos to try and beg me to quit drawing. How would I get their attention?
>>
>>2003276
>Be male
>Be white
>Be straight
>Tell other people you are and have pride in it
>???
>>
>>2003169
Panty and Stocking was made 'cause some people at Gainax got drunk and watched American cartoons and were like "let's do that"

The people that made the comic in the OP are puuuussies
>>
will tumblr sjw also fall upon me for being asian drawing classical subjects with beautiful white people? it's been questioned why i draw what i draw, but nothing serious yet.
>>
It look like it'd be a cute comic, shame the artists caved in like that.
>>
>>2003276
sexy bikini armor battling hordes of landwhales.
>>
This reminds me of this thread: >>2003371

Both artists caving into the pressures their audiences are unfairly inflicting on them until they resort to self-censoring. Just more proof that everyones a hypocrite.
>>
>>2003561
and saving a boy which plays the role of the damsel in distress and looks like the tip a landwhale would chase
>>
>>2003512
they may ask why you disrespect your heritage by not doing "asian styled art"
>>
>>2002453
this seems a bit blown out of proportion

>make comic
>some people I don't know don't like it
>quit to please them

to answer your question, don't do this.
>>
>>2002453
>cultural appropriation
The perfect way to make sure you never ever have to deal with icky foreign cultures while pretending to have a moral highground at the same time.
>>
File: 4310386-9808043411-spike.jpg (221 KB, 1035x668) Image search: [Google]
4310386-9808043411-spike.jpg
221 KB, 1035x668
I love cowboy bebop, is it not western fetishization. Spegtie westers also.
>>
File: Capture.png (68 KB, 514x569) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
68 KB, 514x569
Creators confirmed for spineless pandering.
>>
>>2002453
just means people are talking about you, is good thing.
>>
>>2003732
Poor naive woman. Give them an inch and they'll take it a mile.
>>
fuckin ive been told that because im white and like eating sushi i am appropriating japanese culture. you really want to fight them? it makes 0 sense, all you can do is either ignore them or just bite back with sarcasm. don't be a pussy. dont care if you hurt their feelings, they're twats anyway.
>>
>>2003760
sure you have.
>>
Why stop to silence every dog that barks?
People need to learn to continue, no-one outside of themselves has the power to stop them doing what they want to do.
>>
>>2002453

In this situation, counter with Miyazaki being a gigantic idealizing eurofag (he's self aware, of course).
>>
>>2003760
sushi is fucking disgusting and only the most committed weeaboos pretend to like it. The only reason the japs eat it is because of how little beef they have access to.
>>
>>2002453
>toril said on twitter that the issue raised with msbc was that it was a comic set in japan written by two white people, but—have you considered that it's the idea itself that's inherently fetishistic and not white people writing a story that takes place in another country that's the issue? and that when confronted about it, that the response was "it's ok, i have a BA in japanese" instead of addressing possible areas of concern?

this is a criticism with a certain amount of logic behind it. the comic is about 'the anime voice acting industry, romance, and cup ramen'. that does sound like something a weeaboo would think japan is like.

that said, it could very well have been a well written, respectful comic. it's a pity the creators took the inevitable criticism to heart in this way.
>>
>>2003053
I'm not surprised the artist(s) would pander to tumblr artists. They seem to draw in a style that would be popular on tumblr so it's not inconceivable that they're weak-willed tumblrites as well.
>>
>>2004020
oops. pander to tumblr crowd, not tumblr artists.
>>
>>2002629
This is the thing that separates SJWs with people who care about social justice. SJWs go after people who care, because they know they will listen and most easy to scare, are few people will speak up for fear of being dogpilled and branded a [inserthere]ist.

I'll say it before and I'll say it again SJAs are more afraid of being called racist, than the actually racists are.
>>
>>2003627
Horseshoe theory in action.
>>
>>2004020
Dude, that's just a popular illustration that's been around for YEARS.

I agree this situation is horrible, but lets not blame anything Tumblr is not responsible for on Tumblr.
>>
>>2004054
*style
>>
>>2003997
Have you watched anime or read mangas lately? This is exactly how grorious nippon portray themselves on those medias... yeah there's more to japan but we are talking about a comic book so it's not too far fetched they would befall into the same patch as animes/mangas.
>>
>>2003997
Would you be upset with a japanese comic set in America about 'the arms industry, romance, and hamburgers'? because I'd read it.
>>
File: Gunsmith_Cats_cover.jpg (33 KB, 300x425) Image search: [Google]
Gunsmith_Cats_cover.jpg
33 KB, 300x425
>>2004114

pic related, Kenichi Sonoda is based
>>
>>2002859

I wish that were the case for me, I'm black and gay and I have 47 followers total. ;_;
>>
>>2004279
Is it good? I like the intro to the anime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7HPyUcy37I
>>
>>2004297

The animation isn't too phenomenal like Akira and the plot wasn't too special like a Miyazaki flick, but it was an enjoyable and entertaining show. Nearly every "technical" thing (vehicles, weaponry, etc) was well-drawn too. Big improvement over Riding Bean.
>>
File: hahahareally.jpg (216 KB, 385x600) Image search: [Google]
hahahareally.jpg
216 KB, 385x600
>>2002453
Creators getting messed with by hyper-sensitive loons is a common thing if you look around a bit. It usually happens to people who pander to the SJW too, so it's pretty funny.

This comic, Ava's Demon was blown up by related image (top) and turned about being ACEPHOBIC (bottom) Ace apparently means asexual by the way.

That Jeph Jacques guy, creator of Questionable Content whose comics were edited in >>2002648
>>2002741 is also a guy who panders to the SJW tumblr crowd and has actually stabbed his hand twice because of them.
>>
File: odin is her brother.png (389 KB, 600x458) Image search: [Google]
odin is her brother.png
389 KB, 600x458
>>2004333
I accidentally ate some of my post up when formatting it, but Ava's Demon is actually still going on, it did make the creator end up deleting their tumblr account that "talked" to the fanbase if I'm remembering correctly.

That girl in the comic is 12 years old by the way, and the whole lead up to that line is that her brother (Odin) told her she was way too young to date and in her frustration she starts making fun of him by calling him a VIRGIN. What a bigot. The girl was gonna date some other girl, real 'progressive', except she made fun of asexuals somehow so no.

If you want to read the section it starts here: avasdemon.com/pages.php#1196

If you want to read the start of the delusion it comes from here: http://uh-what-the-fuck.tumblr.com/post/104426856919/avas-demon-is-allonormative-michelle-czajkowski
>>
>>2004343
What the hell's going on in that panel. Or image as a matter a fact.
>>
>>2004343
>http://uh-what-the-fuck.tumblr.com/post/104426856919/avas-demon-is-allonormative-michelle-czajkowski
I remember sending a couple of unaggressive yet analytic critiques to that blog and she never replied. Gotta reinforce that delusion, otherwise you'll look like a fool.
>>
>>2004350
looks like odin is doing an impression of girlface. taken out of context end a bubble mid sentence makes things so confusing. i think it's probably bad practice in general.
>>
File: 1199.png (353 KB, 600x458) Image search: [Google]
1199.png
353 KB, 600x458
>>2004343
>>2004367
Sorry for the confusion, but that is a girl next to her, I think it's either her friend or sister, but Odin is image attached. That panel you guys are looking at is before the panel I posted above it, it also has a link to the comic and the pages that lead up to that conversation if you'd like to read it. But yeah, a weird thing that this webcomic does is that each panel is a separate page, sometimes it creates suspense but a lot of the time it creates an awkward effect when they try to have conversations.

On another note, I think the best way to handle an unruly fanbase is just by ignoring them, otherwise you end up getting into arguments and end up looking unprofessional, but what would you do if you ended up meeting one of these people in real life? Pretending for a moment you're at a convention and you have your own table selling your artwork or whatever
>>
>>2003030
>Why is cultural appropriation a bad thing?

>Hundreds of Mexican owned restaurants in the US.
>Richest one is owned by a white American male

>12 Years a Slave, a memoir about a black man being forced back into slavery was a best seller
>Forgotten about once Uncle Tom's Cabin came out; author is a white American woman.

>Amerindians killed, slaughtered and forced to abandon their culture to become more 'American.'
>White owned companies make a killing on selling Amerindian images and culture. The people working on the art are usually white and people buying it are white.

People don't mind sharing cultures...in fact it's a really awesome thing. Yet, when white people do it they rob they take and get massive credit for it while the people they take it from get exploited as a result of it.
>>
>>2004621

It's a double-edged sword imo. I see your point though, I didn't like it all when the director of Black Swan took scenes from Perfect Blue without him giving credit to it. Or how zombies were heavily inspired from western african folklore without having a black cast.

Despite that though, I feel that the exposure to culture is leagues better than no exposure at all. It shows that every culture has it's cool shit.
>>
>>2004640
hey did give credit, he even purchases the rights to the scene.
>>
>>2004642

Ah, error on my part then. Sorry.

I think that every culture appropriated from each other though. John Woo was heavily influenced by the spaghetti western film genre and he created "gun-fu".
>>
>>2004621
I know you're probably a shill, or you're trying to play devil's advocate for fun, but this is really a shitty argument.
>Richest one is owned by a white American male
So what? Any mexican is welcome to study economy, get into Forex, make trillions and buy it back. Surely you don't mean to say that Mexicans are too stupid to be able to make money, right?
>Forgotten about once Uncle Tom's Cabin came out
Uncle Tom's Cabin came out 1 year BEFORE your negro book. Let's add misinformation to the list of reasons why you're an idiot.
>White owned companies make a killing on selling Amerindian images and culture.
Again, are you trying to say the Amerindians are too stupid to do these things themselves? There are no laws preventing them to do these things and yet they can't do shit. This is capitalism, bitch. If they can't offer anything of value, they have no place on the market. They are free to do these stuff for themselves if they so like it.
>B-but you killed them!
Well yeah, so the dead ones can't quite do the work. Unfortunately those alive seem to be more interested in communicating with spirits then doing something tangible. Like, you know, getting rich?
>The people working on the art are usually white
Evidently they are better then them at their own craft. You know how the shit works in art. Only the product matters.
>>
>>2004621
[citation needed]

Take your white guilt back to tumblr
>>
>>2004667
>Well yeah, so the dead ones can't quite do the work. Unfortunately those alive seem to be more interested in communicating with spirits then doing something tangible. Like, you know, getting rich?

I dunno man, the tribes that build casinos seem to do a'ight.

>Muh white culture
>>
>>2004678
Those are obviously not REAL amerindians! They have been corrupted and are now honorary white people.
>>
File: GOD...DAMN.jpg (63 KB, 388x525) Image search: [Google]
GOD...DAMN.jpg
63 KB, 388x525
>>2004621
>Amerindians killed, slaughtered and forced to abandon their culture to become more 'American.'

No one's stopping the indigenous tribes from returning to their way of life on their land. The problem is their way of life sucked balls and they don't want to. Also don't give me that bullshit, they killed and slaughtered each other and whites alike plenty; they certainly weren't innocent angels just because they got their asses kicked.

White people didn't do anything any other group didn't do to them. You could say that the invading Moors, the Persians and Mongols and our own inter-tribal competition made us what we became that brought us all here today. Over a few hundred years we conquered or assimilated many of the peoples of the world into our system as so many other groups tried and failed to do throughout history, and ultimately we brought peace and plenty to millions where once starvation, superstition and indolence reigned. We stalked through tribalism, labored through feudalism, fought through anarchism, socialism, communism and autocracies of all kinds so you people didn't have to.

Our system today may be far from perfect, but it's as close to perfect as humanity's ever had it and all you had to do was lose to inherit it. Now thanks to that, you can air your butthurt to an audience of hundreds of people across the world with just a few keystrokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjeqOnsZp6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTsHnxS5bg0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-xVFzNWdEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5o-fhBKf8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGcGvR4PEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4r0VUybeXY

tl;dr: You're welcome.
>>
>>2002453

How about you don't be a weak piece of shit and take down your own comic because people whine, letting down the fans who look forward to the next page every week?
>>
>>2004693
Oh my god, who gives a shit? The art sucks anyway.
>>
>>2004621
>revisionist history
Grow up you silly twat
>>
>>2004678
>>2004680
>being this analannihilated
Fringe groups who own casinos are neither something to be proud of nor a reflection of their people as a whole.
>>
>>2004755
>Fringe groups who own casinos are not something to be proud of

You're right, a local tribal casino had to shut down because they couldn't agree on who got to be screwed out of tribe membership and all that sweet dosh.

Turns out once they actually had something, they went full "no true scotsman" and fucked each other out of the one nice thing they could've had.

Nothing to be proud of indeed.
>>
>>2003045
That was just 20 minutes of incoherent wailing and gnashing of teeth. There is no point in that video where you can find a coherent an substantive thing that actually matters.

I've stared into the abyss and I feel like a character from an H.P. Lovecraft novel.
>>
>>2004391
>but what would you do if you ended up meeting one of these people in real life? Pretending for a moment you're at a convention and you have your own table selling your artwork or whatever

>Did you want this signed?
>It was my *privilege*
>wink
>>
File: 1425044645670.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1425044645670.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>>2004343

...Seriously. All this butthurt over the word virgin? Because it was said in a different emphasis? God, first world problems if ever there was one. I don't care if you're ace or whatever the fuck. Nobody cares. You aren't oppressed.
>>
File: 1406686124967.jpg (46 KB, 312x312) Image search: [Google]
1406686124967.jpg
46 KB, 312x312
>>2004621
I am so sick of you, please fuck off back to tumblr or twitter or whatever cesspool you crawled out of. Literally not even black people care about you sucking their e-dicks, you absolute cuckstain

>>2004640
>Or how zombies were heavily inspired from western african folklore without having a black cast.
the fuck are you on you dipshit?
You can't copywright something as vague as a reanimated dead person

and "black cast"?? the fuck? Is there a zombie movie convention in which only white people can attend and make just one all-white movie and wring their hands together while caddle-prodding africans away who only want to be represented?

I swear SJWs are so fucking thick headed they will LITERALLY MAKE SWEEPING GENERALIZATIONS about anything without it even making sense... and tack on some bullshit they thought up about how a white person was an absolute monster who appropriated some vague idea, completely stealing it from a culture of poor and starving genius minorities
>>
>>2004750
>Surely you don't mean to say that Mexicans are too stupid to be able to make money, right?

>tfw white Americans think that Chipotle is authentic Mexican
>tfw those same white Americans looks at an actual Mexican restaurant and shy away

It also has a lot to do with banks and loans. A lot of US owned banks discriminate against latinos and black people. They can have the same credit as a white person and still get denied for a loan or get charged crazy interest rates hence the subprime/predatory loans during the real estate bubble in the US.

For example, a friend of mine was latino and working in a bank in the Mid-West. He said that he was told to deny loans to anyone who was black or latino. So he started to deny loans to white people who didn't have good enough credit. His superiors got upset with him for doing his job the way it's supposed to be done.

>Uncle Tom's Cabin came out 1 year BEFORE your negro book. Let's add misinformation to the list of reasons why you're an idiot.

Even if that's the case it does not change how Uncle Tom's Cabin's success eclipsed 12 Years A Slave. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass came out in 1845 and still was not as popular as Uncle Tom's Cabin. Why not? Uncle Tom's Cabin has been criticized for it's racist/stereotypical depiction of black people. I think white Americans can't even handle depictions of people of color UNLESS they are stereotypes.

For example, anytime a black person gets an Oscar for a acting it's always for depicting stereotypical roles. Just as playing a mentally ill person always seems guaranteed an Oscar.
>>
>>2005022
Sorry meant to quote this: >>2004667

>>2004667
>Again, are you trying to say the Amerindians are too stupid to do these things themselves? There are no laws preventing them to do these things and yet they can't do shit. This is capitalism, bitch. If they can't offer anything of value, they have no place on the market. They are free to do these stuff for themselves if they so like it

It's kind of ironic to see someone trying to explain how the world works when they have no idea of how it does.

>Evidently they are better then them at their own craft. You know how the shit works in art. Only the product matters.

White people make up the majority of consumers in the US. They like things that they are familiar with and feed into the white supremacist diet that they have had since the conception of the United States. It has little to do with just the product alone.
>>
>>2003103
Just sound white.

There are a lot of cases where people get harassed for being white cis males (i.e. not agreeing with SJW) who then turn out to be members of minority groups.
>>
>>2005022
>no cited facts or sources
>even more sweeping generalizations about a group of people cuz muh feelings
You're fucking insufferable. You can hate yourself all you want but do so somewhere else you cuck.
>>
File: 1313163302855.jpg (105 KB, 500x688) Image search: [Google]
1313163302855.jpg
105 KB, 500x688
>>2002453
>artists and writers would rather default to white cis people because SJWs made everything else a fucking minefield.

So much for encouraging diversity.
>>
>>2005024
>It's kind of ironic to see someone trying to explain how the world works when they have no idea of how it does.

You're clearly referring to yourself.

>White people make up the majority of consumers in the US. They like things that they are familiar with and feed into the white supremacist diet that they have had since the conception of the United States. It has little to do with just the product alone.

There is nothing white about "Chipotle" besides the man behind the curtain you presumptuous retard, and the only supremacism here is found in the quality product and the innovative assembly-line production (like Subway) that made Chipotle so successful. It is not this white guy's fault that actual mexicans spam sit-down restaurants on government grant money that don't go anywhere in the end. I don't know anyone in real life that even knew that the owner of Chipotle was white, I certainly didn't, because I as a consumer could care less.
>>
>>2005022
You rabid idiot, asking loans is one of the worst thing you can do in your life. You will not get rich by asking loans. In fact, you'll get in debt like most idiot american artists do.
They are actually doing them a favor by not giving them loans. To the white guys too. His superiors got angry because if they denied loans to people who will struggle their entire life to pay them back, they wouldn't be able to make money.
Jesus Christ you're a special kind retard.
>Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass came out in 1845 and still was not as popular as Uncle Tom's Cabin. Why not?
If anything it's incredible that a negro book became a bestseller even back then when slavery existed. You're shooting yourself in the foot.
>>2005024
>It's kind of ironic to see someone trying to explain how the world works when they have no idea of how it does.
Nice argument.
>White people make up the majority of consumers in the US. They like things that they are familiar with and feed into the white supremacist diet that they have had since the conception of the United States. It has little to do with just the product alone.
And? Where is the problem? Again, if the minority wants to make its own product, "fit for the minority members", they can and they should.
>>
>>2005069
But...they are a gay Japanese couple from what I can tell. The one on the left looks to even be a cross dresser. If you check out the promo stuff for the comic it talks about how the one on the left is a male.
>>
So, according to tumblr, now the only stories anyone is allowed to write are stories that they have experienced directly. So, only autobiographies. Great. Thanks tumblr for taking anything worth anything and shitting on it until it meets your standards.
>>
File: ௵.jpg (21 KB, 372x260) Image search: [Google]
௵.jpg
21 KB, 372x260
Can someone explain to me what the fuck is the deal with Tumblr and extremely exaggerated noses? Even when they are not Rudolph the red nose reindeer tier they are usually fucking huge or otherwise prominent.
>>
>>2005072
>in the quality product and the innovative assembly-line production

its called fast casual and its the future of america
>>
>>2005153
No, because the authors of this lived in Japan. So even if you have firsthand experience, you can't.
>>
>>2005153
Surely you don't mean the Terms of Service.
>>
>>2005154
Because tumblr is full of faggots.
>>
>>2005154
I think it's usually done to characters that are predominately western/european but I agree it looks ridiculous. Just looking at the opening thread image the characters look borderline anthro or something.
>>
>>2005141
The point is to look at how that turned out for the artist.
>>
You read the notes at the bottom and their are a lot of people who are pissed that they did this. I'm starting to think that the artists may be the overly PC ones in this situation.
>>
>>2004916
sweeping generalizations are the only way they can make their feeble and stillborn arguements work.
>>
adasdas
>>
Quick question; have you watched this ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBfWKmRFTjM

Cause I feel like you haven't watched this.
>>
>>2003054
So you're advocating that everyone stay in their own borders. Keep the Americans separated from the Japanese. Keep us safe from all of this polluting influence lest the poor culture is hurt.

There have been far worse examples of cultures being damaged by influence from other cultures over the centuries. But Japan especially. No, fuck all of those countries that got manipulated by missionaries. Fuck those countries with civil wars and genocides. Japan is the #1 priority on the cultural appropriation watchlist.
>>
>>2005893
so because people have committed worse crimes no-one should say anything when i walk around punching people in the face?
>>
File: mission-hill-brian-posehn-1.jpg (28 KB, 270x360) Image search: [Google]
mission-hill-brian-posehn-1.jpg
28 KB, 270x360
>>2005901
No they shouldn't.
>>
>>2005022
>>tfw white Americans think that Chipotle is authentic Mexican
>>tfw those same white Americans looks at an actual Mexican restaurant and shy away
>Muh authenticity
I don't care if something is truly scotsman enough for you, as long as it tastes good (not saying I like Chipotle). You are telling people not to like what they like. Authenticity morons like yourself only ever care about what a thing represents, not what it actually is to other people.

Also, what's wrong with them avoiding "real" Mexican restaurants. Their bodies, their choice, shitlord. Don't try to force people to eat one way or another, food shamer.
>>
>>2005947

>white Americans think that Chipotle is authentic Mexican

Do people not know it's founded by a white dude? still tastes good though
>>
>>2005947
i eat at pepes tacos bitch and i fucking hate chipotle
>>
>>2005901
Are you seriously implying that a non japanese person creating a comic set in japan is a crime? Do you seriously base all your decisions on knee jerk reactions and vapid emotions? Are you a woman?
Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.