[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys feel about these ship designs? Which ones stand out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Avian_Aeronautics_Collect_03.jpg (1 MB, 1500x3347) Image search: [Google]
Avian_Aeronautics_Collect_03.jpg
1 MB, 1500x3347
How do you guys feel about these ship designs? Which ones stand out?
>>
>>2294204
They all look the same pretty much. Take a step back and work only with silhouette and try to get different shapes for each design.
>>
Like >>2294207 they're pretty monotone

This might help you find new forms you wouldn't otherwise have thought of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxoNLP_6ok4
>>
>>2294204
Design language seems to be really consistent across all designs- if this is what You were going for, then good job. If You asked me, I don't really like that design too much, don't ask me to elaborate though- I find design to be very difficult to discuss, since there is no mathematical formula (the closest You can get is 25% of the form should be busy and rest should let Your eye rest, but I never cared for that rule either). Presentation wise- Your perspective seems to be correct for the most time, however there are obvious mistakes, like a front of no 22 and no 27 follow seem to follow separate VP's compared to wings and rear spoilers (I forgot how You call them in English). Also some forms seem to follow horizon in the middle of a form, while other axis still follow VP situated somewhere above (You seem to have two horizons in other words).
>>
11, 14, 13 are probably my favourites.
>>
>>2294224
I'd go for 11 and 28.
>>
>>2294204
4, 14 and 28. If you can, make them look more like they could fly IRL.
>>
>>2294204
I like 18 a lot
>>
4, 11, 14 are nice
>>
3, 11, 15, 25
>>
I think many of the designs are too cluttered because of those fins, and hurt my eyes to try to make sense of them. 4, 2, and 3 especially exemplify this In general, I'd try simplifying things.

I like 11 the best by far because it's the simplest. I like 26 and 24 because it reminds me of a fighter jet...I think it's good for designs to be a mix of familiar and alien. To familiar and it looks boring/cliche, but too alien and it's, well, alienating. I like 12 too, but I don't know why. Maybe because that curve compliments the linear fins well?

How long did these take you to draw, out of curiosity?
>>
I like 10, 11, and 24 the best
they do pretty much look the same though
>>
Going to concur with the others, these are all hyper samey. And even on their own there's nothing interesting about any of them.

My advice, think of something weird, like a weird shape that seems out of place and work around that. Your ships here look like you're just trying to barely change an already well established design. It's like you're thinking to yourself "what is cool looking?" and winding up in the same thought space as almost literally every other amateur artist in the world. Because you're limiting yourself to what you have been trained to be attracted to, things you've already seen and had a positive reaction to.
Designs people remember are ones that nobody thought of before. Take something that initially you think is crazy then tweak it around until it works. An example of something that if you write it on paper sounds fucking dumb but in reality is really awesome are the pod racers from Star Wars. They are literally composed of a bucket seat attached to two hovering jet engines with nothing but some cables and yet, they're badass!

So If you think your design looks stupid, you're on the right track. Keep working with it.
>>
>>2294204
11 and 24
>>
11, 12, 20, 24
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.