[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to learn what cannot be taught ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: pander.jpg (124 KB, 639x502) Image search: [Google]
pander.jpg
124 KB, 639x502
Where can a self-taught digital artist learn about interesting poses, compositions and eye-catching visuals ?

My mechanical skills are ok-ish, but i can improve those easily. but all my works are so fucking boring. any good Youtubers (not sycra) or books ?
>>
>>2604241
check out sycra
>>
>>2604242
already did. he has great beginner tutorials.. but almost nothing on interesting eye catching stuff. + i dont really like his art style, but i think high of him anyway.
>>
>>2604241
>Can someone show me a tutorial that turns me into "pro artist #1232" without having to spend long hours learning.

>interesting poses, compositions and eye-catching visuals
That's all shit you learn by making art and figuring out what works and what doesn't. lol No tutorial is going to download the info into your brain like the matrix. You need to spend years learning it, tackling one problem at a time until slowly you learn how to do it. Find artists you like that check all those boxes for you and do what they do.

I know no one on here wants to do any work but unfortunately no shortcut exists other than doing what everyone else who "got gud" did.
>>
>>2604245
you misonderstood me, i know i cant just watch a tutorial and become a great artist.

just.. my works are AWFULLY boring. the drawing are ok for the most part, im still learning of course, but if i could at last sketch an interesting setting i would be happy.. for a time

so you say there is no help in the "art" sphere, only my trial and errors ?
>>
>>2604245
+ i meant, i cannot judge what "works" . i can only judge that my work is boring.
>>
You need some kind of goal or purpose to your work. Just sitting down and making an image is generally going to produce something dull. You need to design to brief. Try to imagine that your picture is an illustration of a scene in a story. In fact, try to illustrate a scene from a story. Grab a book (doesn't even need to be a novel) and open it to a random page, try to draw what is happening.
>>
>>2604820

This anon is right, but I'd like to extend it a little further.

Let's first look at common notions on /ic/

>How does so-and so make his/her art, what brushes, what pens, what software? If I knew this too, I also would be great and famous!
>Learn your anatomy! Only be learning perfect anatomy you can become a great artist!
>Work traditionally to be a good artist.
>It's all about colour, values, composition, etc, etc
>I can't stay motivated, what tips are there to keep staying at it?
>How do I stay creative?
>My work is boring, how can I make it more exciting?

It is all 'How, how how'. Rarely, if ever, is anyone asking 'Why'.

Knowing all those things do not make you a great artist, at most a good craftsman, suitable for expressing other peoples ideas. If you would make an awesome Wizards of the Coast illustration, let's say some sexy witch, and it is your 'own design', it will still fit within the category of hundreds of other sexy witches that have been made before, even if it is technically perfect and will earn you a lot of money.

Great artists aren't just great artists because they are skilled craftsmen, but because they offer a unique personal point of view. That is why they keep getting asked.
>>
>>2605045

So, OP, do not ask about interesting poses, compositions and eye-catching visuals. Those are all 'hows'. No. Ask yourself 'why'. Why do you draw, wwhy do you want to express yourself, and what do you want to express? What is your unique voice? What is it that keeps you awake at night, the thing you so desire to express that makes you feel you're about to burst? That makes you go on and on, never giving up until you've achieved it?

Once you know that, you will no longer

- be jealous of other artists. you will just look at their work, analyse it and appreciate what the did to get their message across.
- lack motivation, merely lament the few hours that are in each day you have to work on your vision.
- be unable to express what is lacking in your work. You will instictively know it, because it is the thing that prevents your work from communicating strongly and clearly.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.