[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVG 3XhvLmH4 Do you think J
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: bruh.jpg (55 KB, 745x672) Image search: [Google]
bruh.jpg
55 KB, 745x672
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVG3XhvLmH4

Do you think James Jean (and other artists with moleskins for that matter) have "secret" sketchbooks which are a bit messier than this one? My sketchbook are all messy and ugly, with the occasional drawing I'm happy with...Obviously he's much better than me, but still. It's like every single page of this is so well thought out, consistent and aesthetically pleasing that the whole sketchbook it's basicaly ready to be shipped to a publisher and get scanned and released as a artbook as it is. Is he just that good?
>>
>>2594617

Yes, congratulations, you now found out that people have lots of sketchbooks and often they have some to make videos like that or to carry around and if someone says "show me your sketchbook" they will go and show the guy those beautiful pages.

Also notice how most of those sketchbooks have pages torn out of them. Ever wonder why?
>>
>>2594617

Exactly senpai. Also once you get good your sketchbook isn't filled with practice that isn't nice drawings. My sketchbooks get better with each one and I can definitely see a day where every drawing I do isn't necessarily great but is interesting to other people
>>
>>2594617
This has been known for some time.

I remember first seeing a lot of it 05' and onward with the rise of CA and sharing of studies and sketchbooks online. Everyone's sketchbooks, both digital and physical, became more like a compilation of finished work rather than places to just fuck around and try new ideas.

It's an offshoot of the "I work 16 hours a day" meme. It's just a propaganda tool to make the person look more badass.

Alternatively, a highly skilled artists "shit pages" in their sketch book are still going to look pretty good, compared to someone who's shit. But 40 fully rendered graphite drawings or tight, clean ink draws is not what your average artist would think of when you say "sketchbook".
>>
>>2594617
>>2594630
This. Everyone has two sketchbooks. I always carrying one for demonstration. But pros don't cares I suppose
>>
>>2594617

I would bet large sums of money that James Jean has lots of drawings he doesn't want people to see. Michelangelo had his apprentice burn his sketches when he died. To be a good artist, you have to learn to love making shitty drawings. Nobody ever got gud by only drawing what they were good at.
>>
File: Friedland.jpg (463 KB, 1600x882) Image search: [Google]
Friedland.jpg
463 KB, 1600x882
>>2594617
Here's the latest doodle from my sketchbook. Just a quick thingy. Took 5 minutes. No refs. No photos. No 3D. Did it while on the shitter and doing a head stand with my hands tied behind my back. Used my mouth to draw it. Drawn with a random cat turd that was laying around on the bathroom floor. Whatever. No big deal. Just a sketch.
>>
Some people keep a sketchbook that's basically a work of art in and of itself. There are sketchbooks that are meant to be shown to people, they're meant to be beautiful. They do finished pieces (or at least well-planned and deliberate sketches) in them.

Then there's the sketchbooks where people doodle and experiment, but usually they don't show these off because most of the time it's not that great.

That said, a skilled artist's experiments can still look pretty damn good.
>>
My sketchbook drawings are mostly my higher quality ones because it's more expensive paper. For bulk shit studies I just use sheets of rough newsprint and cheap copy paper on a clip board. There's no reason to spend 12 bucks on a nice sketchbook and fill it with copies of Bridgman shit, gesture drawings, asaro heads, etc.
>>
>>2594780

I see you've been reading your loomis
>>
>>2594780
nice, but it needs more loomis
>>
>>2594780
what do you feed your cat for her turd to have suck a wide color range?
>>
>>2597408
It's called color bending, noob. You have to be on my level to do it. Probably too hard for you, don't even try it.
>>
>>2594780
i mean this is nice and everything but if you EVER want to be in this industry you better start drawing some sick dragons brah
>>
I realized that I have a huge 'survivor bias' with saving my art. I fuck up 90% of the time, but only save 10%, and am convinced, hand on heart, that I am completely represented by my successes.

It gives me false confidence. But I'm biting the bullet.
>>
I used to treat my sketchbook like that - I turned every doodle into a full page composition.
>>
>>2594780
back to the beginner thread with you
>>
>>2594617
those sketches are what I would call a finished piece
what the fuck
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.