[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
im progressing too slowly and don't know how to practise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: rbf_.png (95 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
rbf_.png
95 KB, 800x600
help me /ic/ I don't know what to do to improve. its been a year since I've started drawing but it feels like i am progressing too slowly.

I know people online say draw from life, but am I really suppose to hangout in a subway like a bum doing drawings too mediocre to show to people passing by?

Right now the only practice i do on a consistent basis is the requests I get from a thread I have on /i/. I never went to school for art or taken an art class. Most of my knowledge comes from things i remember off the show art attack when i was a kid, and also google "how to draw X".

any and all tips appreciated. please don't tell me to read loomis, I downloaded the pdf and got 30 pages in and the only "new" thing I got from it was, and im paraphrasing, "art is hard, don't be discouraged, just keep drawing". Please don't recommend books that have more words than pictures, reading books is torture to me.

If possible, can you tell me some of your favourite drawing excercises to do? I have difficulty putting lines over construction lines without it looking "rigid".

Here is drawing done with construction lines http://orangecast.tumblr.com/image/146215872523

here is drawing done without construction lines and just drew it straight from the get go http://orangecast.tumblr.com/image/147004420573

both drawings I heavily abused ctrl+z to get the lines I wanted but the one where I didn't use construction lines looks a little smoother.

Thanks in advance, I feel like i'm stuck in a rut and the only exercise I know to do is "draw". I use paint tool SAI and a bamboo tablet.
>>
>>2592367
>a year

Come back after 10 years faggot.
>>
>>2592367
>1 year
>Expects to be a master artist by now

Dude i've been drawing since I was 13 and I'm 25 now, and I'm still learning. Remember that. You never stop learning or improving.

Also, people say read loomis but mostly they mean "Do the exercises in Loomis." So start there, do all of the exercises.

Also don't draw without construction lines. Get off digital drawing and use paper and pencil. Draw loosely, use your whole arm or at least the elbow to draw and not your wrist, you'll get better looser lines that way. Don't worry about doing lineart like shit yet you're nowhere near needing to finish works like this.

Furthermore, stop drawing stylized. Draw from life and try to draw what you see, not what you think you see. Draw a still life and make it look as close to that object as possible, draw people and draw them how they actually look, don't stylize them. You have to learn what things actually look like before you stylize or it's going to look, well, like shit.

Good luck bro
>>
>>2592390
Oh and also: Don't make your own thread, post in the beginner thread.
>>
Anon, the entire point is to keep practicing.
A good way to improve is geometric shape.
You're always learning.

And for the love of fucking god, i beg of you.
Don't fall for the elasticity meme. For fucks sake
>>
>>2592390
i would also like to emphasize from this post , Get offf digital and use paper and pencil. this is really important, i started improving a lot when i used paper because you have to think more. you can do the sketch on paper then do digital stuff after . trust me it will help.
>>
>>2592409
Not op, but what's the elasticity meme?
>>
>>2592409
>the elasticity meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TFobtlCBos
>>
File: le thumbs up cat face.jpg (6 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
le thumbs up cat face.jpg
6 KB, 240x240
>>2592414
He's talking about the "Neuro-Plasticity" meme
>>
>>2592367
Let me see your pages and pages of figures + gestures, anon. I mean, you're bound to have entire sketchbooks of them if you've been drawing for a year.
>>
>>2592367
post your wrist
you obviously dont have any ligamemes
>>
>>2592418
Thanks catface anon
>>
>>2592414
It's the
>after 25 you can't learn anymore, so just fucking give up and don't improve at anything
>>
File: 20160707_002245[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160707_002245[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>2592422
ok anon just for you i will dump my "garbage bag on my bed and take a picture". this does not include all the ones i threw away.
>>
File: practice 4-16-2016_.png (54 KB, 500x800) Image search: [Google]
practice 4-16-2016_.png
54 KB, 500x800
>>2592390
thanks. I tried drawing actual people for practise before. It is painful and tedious. I only lasted a week.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/53/2c/45/532c45bf20458d5e660707b0c0e4c2a9.jpg

i think i made the butt too large, but by then i stopped eye balling distance because my hand started hurting.
>>
>>2592443

Try working with charcoal for life drawing and start pushing values instead of line work. There are no lines in real life. There are only shapes that make up what you are seeing. Each of these shapes has a different value that is created by the intensity of the light that is reflected onto it, then into your eye.
To capture likeness, these shapes must stay in your sketch / painting.
>>
>>2592443
Boo hoo, that's what art is. There's literally no shortcuts so better buck down or give up bro.

Try using the advice >>2592448
gives you and try using charcoal. Don't worry about making a pretty picture, worry about learning and studying what you're drawing.
Something one of my teachers had us do was to try to draw form rather than outline, and two great ways to do this are:
1; Use black charcoal and justliterally use the side to draw form and weight rather than line. So draw the inside of the figure instead.
2: Use black paper and white or light colored charcoal or conte crayons. Since you have to focus on doing the lighter parts rather than concentrating on shadow, it's easier to think of the form. Plus, white charcoal erases hella easier on black paper than black charcoal does on white so mistakes aren't as scary or wasteful feeling.
>>
File: judges in spanish.jpg (45 KB, 588x394) Image search: [Google]
judges in spanish.jpg
45 KB, 588x394
>>2592438
>he never did a still life or portrait
>only grinded construction and gesture
>>
>>2592390
Looks like you're beginning to rapidly lose Neuroplasticity
>>
>>2592443
>It is painful and tedious
If it's not painful and tedious then you are not studying properly. Always aim for what is a little bit out of your reach, stay away from what is comfortable or you'll learn nothing.
>>
>>2592564
>[judges you in english]
>>
>>2592576
Here we go....
>>
>>2592599
we don't have to go anywhere if you just ignore posts like that.
>>
>>2592438
No u no throw papa draring out!
>>
>>2592507
Not op here but I never could understand what people meant by draw the form but no outline. One of my teachers told me to draw eggs in light using only values I still cheated had to use slight lines that were just smudged later to match the shading.
>>
>>2592615
I'll try to explain it in text but if you still don't get it I'll draw an example

So you have an egg. Let's say it's got 3 basic values for the ease of this: The darkest, a medium, a light graphite, and the basic white of the paper.
Rather than drawing the outline of the egg, and worrying about the defining "lines" of a shape, instead you start with the lightest values, and then look for the next, and then the darkest. By concentrating on drawing these values outright rather than doing an outline first, you get a better feel for the form and visual weight of an object or in the case of anatomical studies, the way muscles bulge and compress based on the positioning of a body.

If you concentrate on the outline, it keeps you stuck in "symbol drawing" because well, what's an outline really? The silhouette. A symbol without detail right? If you want something to have form, you need to stop looking at the lines and look at what gives it form, why it creates those shadows, etc.

Does that help anon?
>>
>>2592438
I see a lot of work and improvement. Keep at it, you're deffo not progressing too slowly. Show us some of your art from when you began and were less good so we can compare your inprovement level.

A year is not a long time tho. To git good you need a bunch of years at least.

For drawing from life, get some mini mannequins and bjds. They make it easier.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.