[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art classes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
I am a complete newb taking a few art classes this summer. They're each 3 hours once a week, so I will have about 30 hours of class experience by the end of the summer. How much progress will I make and how much should I practice outside of class?
>>
>>2586945
I used to follow every how to draw manga tutorial on the internet, buy how to draw manga and was always on the look for the right materials for years.

Took 9 months of weekly 4 hour classes and really helped me a lot. It was not manga related, with real nude models.
>>
The classes will likely teach you very little. If you are a complete beginner you might take more from it, but any intermediate who is serious about learning might find the classes lacking unless he has some luck in having a good teacher. If it's public college courses, there will be a mostly people who aren't serious about art, and the curriculum is lowered to match these, so they should at least have a chance at a passing grade. Or perhaps it will have people who are taking it as a hobby. They'll probably push some experimental contemporary art nonsense to you at the end of the course or second level courses after some very basic "fundamentals" which is barely enough training, if at all, to get anyone past being a beginner.

You should study everything you can outside of class. Focus everything on drawing. Have a curious attitude.

If you have a natural charm and show that you are serious about learning, teachers will love to have you around and might even invite you to sit in life drawing classes which you are not enrolled in.
>>
>>2586945
is that pic from the classes you are going? if so you aren't going to learn anything, just lose time, unless you want to lose time, in which case it's fine
>>
>>2586945
>How much progress will I make
Are you really asking us to predict your future? We're not gypsies.

>how much should I practice outside of class
As much as you want. Everyone makes progress at their own pace, the important thing is that you enjoy the journey, too, not just the (possibly unattainable) goal.
>>
>>2587001
>. If it's public college courses, there will be a mostly people who aren't serious about art, and the curriculum is lowered to match these, so they should at least have a chance at a passing grade. Or perhaps it will have people who are taking it as a hobby. They'll probably push some experimental contemporary art nonsense to you at the end of the course or second level courses after some very basic "fundamentals" which is barely enough training, if at all, to get anyone past being a beginner.

Not the OP but, I took lots of classes from the local colleges. None considered art colleges but, I wasn't good enough to get into any.
I thought I would be able to learn some of the basics but, boy was I wrong.
They basically handed everyone who signed up for the class an A and refused to critique anyone on the grounds that it was considered too negative. The professors would dodge questions or simply refuse to answer anything except "You're doing fine".

I would pay anything for a good teacher. I can't seem to find anyone in my local area interested in anything other than abstract art though. It's painful
>>
4chan really needs less American input.
>>
>>2587001
>>2587077
Try going to a school that's actually focused on education rather than handing out credits.
>>
>>2587098
Name a number of these schools please. I've been to 4 art schools and they were all pure shit.
We're not all from the US.
>>
Focus only on learning the craft when you're in the classes. Find your own expression in your free time. That's how you make the most of it.
>>
>>2587104
College for Creative Studies
Art Center College of Design
School of Visual Arts
Ringling College of Art and Design
Rhode Island School Of Design

Gotta pay upwards of 45k in order to get a good art school. Anything less, you're pushing your luck on whether or not you'll get a good teacher who actually gives a fuck.

I don't know any outside of the US but I know the Russian Academy of Art is fucking top notch.

The cheaper you pay, the more risk.
>>
>>2586945
Is that Rolf Harris?
>>
>>2587539
What about Watts Atelier?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.