[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ゔぇらねせMYSTIC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 11
File: 123.png (847 KB, 702x960) Image search: [Google]
123.png
847 KB, 702x960
ya ever be working on something and youre like man this is good this is a game changer

and then the world is like nope.jpg
i dont feel bad i rather like it
art is a weird relationship between artist and critic and i often forget which is which
>>
File: 3587585878.jpg (153 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
3587585878.jpg
153 KB, 1366x768
how the fuck am I supposed to be motivated to do anything when there are literal 15 year old girls on tumblr with shitty fanart that get instant 10 likes right away when it feels like my art isn't being displayed at all. If anything, it made change my view on the art world completely and I'm starting to sympathize more and more with people that "shill" or "sell out".

The art world is disgusting. It feels like I'm some nerdy kid at school whose trying to impress my own bully that shoots down 95% I do. I guess it inspires me to try to one day make art so amazing people have to respond, but it's hard doing that after seeing all the shitty art that gets views.
>>
>>2584224
You just don't know shit about promoting yourself then.
It's fucking easy to get notes on tumblr all you need to do is tag everything and draw fanart for a big/popular fandom from time to time to make yourself a following, then when it's big enough no matter what you post at least 80 assholes will be hitting like and reblog.
With that negative attitude you'll never achieve shit, to be an artist you have to be shameless and play dirty to get a taste of recognition.
>>
>put in hours into one drawing
>barely any notes/views at all
>draw shitty drawing that took no time at all
>notes out the wazoo and tons of views and comments

I . DON'T. FUCKING. UNDERSTAND. THIS. WORLD.
>>
>>2584234
yeah. everyone says to draw fanart. you'll get instance notes they say when you draw fanart. Well, I have drawn fanart, and I still got no fucking views. And my art is on level with the kind of shit I've seen get notes on tumblr. I think the problem is that I haven't kept up with current airing anime, and I draw fanart for shows things I actually care about. I haven't completely shilled myself into making a character I don't care about at all yet. I'm probably going to have to start giving things 10 tags a piece then.
It's hard being shameless man.

It's a problem I have irl. There are so many people that get popular just by saying stupid shit that I wouldn't find funny at all, that everyone seems to cater to.
>>
>>2584243
post your work, or what fandoms are you drawing for exactly? just do some popular game like zelda and you'll be sure to get some notes.
>>
>>2584243
Add as many tags as it'll let you. Keep them relevant to what you're posting and exploit trending and generally popular tags.
>>
>>2584240

JUST DRAW D.VA IT WORKS
>>
File: dvadeathbitch.png (870 KB, 1893x1135) Image search: [Google]
dvadeathbitch.png
870 KB, 1893x1135
>>2585019

PIC FUCKING RELATED
>>
>>2585021
did you draw that?
>>
File: erkläreule.jpg (40 KB, 346x419) Image search: [Google]
erkläreule.jpg
40 KB, 346x419
>>2584240

Overworking detail kills the drawing/painting. It's one of the things that people don't understand when they don't have very good skill.

Also your process might be wrong, you might start to work on detail and blend fast, correcting mistakes on the go. That's not very good approach because leaves room for mass of mistakes.

Moreover, color - when you work much on the painting and add layer upon layer of it you can lose the "big picture", make colors don't work and whole thing become muddy.

Last but not least - when you make things on the go you really express yourself. Your style pops up. Jitter of your lines gives organic feel, your choices might be very good because you don't overthink but act on the go "this looks nice", "this looks nice", "I add this to look nice".

Something for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDE4VX_9Kk

Skip to 25:55 for the bit with children (though I recommend whole series/video).

And the exercise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06GxNHHREJA

Starts from 4:50 , you would like to do it yourself, Jake Parker has the timer on his other video.

Generally you draw one thing, and then the same but faster/with less time until you get to the bare bones of design. Analyzing the drawing you have drawn when you didn't have much time will help you catch your mistakes and what kind of decisions you do in split second, helping to develop your own style.
>>
>>2584243
It helps to remember that only the first 5 tags are recognized by tumblrs tagging system.
Post your work?
>>
>>2584246
>>2585103
my work. I know it's shit. but im always studying (even now). Not even one note or comment.
>>2585021
I don't know how I could make myself draw art for something I don't care about at all.

I don't have any passion for fanart at all. I'm trying to make a comic.
>>
>>2585503
Your work is seriously lacking in the fundementals department. You've got misaligned proportions, poor perspective, fucked up anatomy, and sloppy linework everywhere in your pic; it looks like something that would be the result of a month of casual studying. How long have you been drawing? If you want people to notice your art, you're going to have to put way more effort into it.
>>
>>2585099
not him but wow, these are pretty nice family man, thanks for the help!
>>
File: 1375520374685.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1375520374685.jpg
76 KB, 1280x720
>>2585556
Technically for 2 years. Been in the beginner thread since 2014, but I've been on and off about it. So I guess you could say month of practice.

But I won't go back. All I know is, i've seen worst that gets way more attention. So I'll just carry on, hopefully getting my fundamentals down with each new piece.
>>
>>2585678
So all you want is attention. Sure, you maybe wanna make nice pictures, but your end goal is attention.

Just rub elbows with other people in your same boat. Find one of the many online circles of "artists" and join the all-you-can-tug jerkfest.
>>
File: why do you even....png (165 KB, 326x315) Image search: [Google]
why do you even....png
165 KB, 326x315
>>2585503
>reverse
>file: 20 hours and 46 minutes ago
oh god...
>>
>>2585503
aww man
>>
>>2584205
I guess i'm in an earlier phase since the world hasn't had the chance to dismiss my art yet. The only time I've really shown my work to the public (not counting friends and the art school I went to prior, who only mention the good things about everyones work), was when I applied for some art universities. The first year, every school dismissed me straight away. That was a bummer, but in hindsight my work was really nothing to cheer over. The next year (this year), I got an interview on one of the school. And at that interview, was the first time I actually had to defend what I do. They asked me some tough questions and so on, and it was really refreshing to get that sort of harsh respond to my work. I hope the school is like that, with more honest discussion.
>>
>>2584243
lets see why it works for 99.9% of semi decent artists and not for you

>doesn't post frequently enough
>draws fan art of dead fandoms
>doesn't tag his drawings

>>2585021
This person is correct. I drew D.Va and got like 70 notes in a few hours because fandom blogs reblogged it (they reblog basically everything). It's the easiest way to get notes/followers.

>>2585503
>I don't know how I could make myself draw art for something I don't care about at all.

You think everyone else is drawing that stuff because they love it? lol get real. You have to do it. In the real world, no one looks up artist's original works and OCs. They look up fanart, then they start to like an artist, then they start to care about their original creations.
It's just the process and if you don't want to hop aboard then good luck failing and whining.

also
>drawing fanart of dead fandoms
if it's not something current you won't get notes. Desuloli animu has to be over for a decade now.
Use. Your. Brain.

And I'm sorry to say, but not only are you doing everything I pointed out above wrong, your drawing skill is just bad. Sorry. I know there is shit art reblogged on tumblr all the time, but at least sometimes it fits a certain aesthetic and you can understand why. If I saw your art get notes I would be genuinely baffled.
If you work hard people will eventually notice. That's always been my motto and it's the fucking truth. Start working harder and stop focusing on everyone else so much.
>>
File: 83479023874.png (136 KB, 379x343) Image search: [Google]
83479023874.png
136 KB, 379x343
>>2586495
Hi, it's me. At first I thought you were some jerk, but I think you finally hit me. When I think about it, all the anime art I fell in love with when I was 14 was all drawn by someone like me now. An artist looking to get views. And the reason why it was nostalgic is because they kept up with the current times. It's a time period. And I think if I keep nostalgic'ing over my childhood favorite anime, ill never create a special thing for kids growing up in the 2010s. I think the reason why I was so rigid on this was because I had too much pride. I wanted to get a fanbase right away and make original comics because Im afraid about going to college and then having no time for anything... I don't know if you just wanted to make me feel bad or actually help me, but I'm going to draw D VA right now. And I won't stop there, I will watch current airing anime, and maybe some current airing tv, and maybe celebrities. And I will gain a fanbase, so I can make original work!

I hope you don't think I don't care about improving my art. I always try looking at references and I have created a reference folder for notes.
>>
>>2587158
I'm not some jerk, nor did I want you to feel bad. Re-read my comment, I never personally insulted you or attacked you. I was just being honest. Why would I have bothered to type all that up if I wasn't trying to drill my point in to your head?
I'm saying these things because I know from experience. Actually, I used to have a pretty big fan base a few years ago that I built up over time, but I disappeared from the net for about 2-3 years and now I have to build it back up again. This is just how you have to do it. Draw fanart and git gud. It's working well enough for me, but it takes time.

Exactly. I'm glad you get it. As much as I love things from my youth, todays youth simply don't care about them. They care about their things and that's just the way it is, so you have to appeal to them because they're the ones using these sites and promoting you. Besides, their stuff is pretty neat sometimes too.
My advice is to seek out what's popular and draw that if you really are disinterested. Some currently airing anime might not be popular and if you draw fan art it won't get you notes. Overwatch is the big thing right now. Pay attention to current trends.

I'm going to put out another dash of honesty here though. You need to get better. Your stuff is just simply bad right now and even if you take my advice, I don't think you'll get notes. Stay in the beginner threads, study fundamentals or study your favourite artists. For the love of god, please really really try to stay accurate to what ever references you seem to be using because I looked at your art and the anatomy is pretty wonky. I know it's hard to focus on improvement when you have stories you want to create, but if you want people to pay attention then you need to do that first.
If you study hard and try to keep accurate to references, you should be semi decent in 6 months-ish. But you really have to dedicate yourself.
>>
File: D VA.jpg (161 KB, 1464x2268) Image search: [Google]
D VA.jpg
161 KB, 1464x2268
>>2587243
This going to be my last post in the thread probably. But just wanted to show you that I made the piece as a thanks. It's really bad, but I feel like I learned a lot, and I spent like 7 hours on it.

I don't think it's good enough to get notes. But I hope my art improves enough for the next big fad so I can get some fans.
>>
File: 1467421300487.jpg (151 KB, 1150x1105) Image search: [Google]
1467421300487.jpg
151 KB, 1150x1105
>>2585503
hahahahahahahaha holy shit, please be bait
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.