[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Awhile back I made a post regarding oil paint and what kind of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 7
File: Snapchat-10330055259754942.jpg (815 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-10330055259754942.jpg
815 KB, 1440x2560
Awhile back I made a post regarding oil paint and what kind of paint and what kind of books i should check out to learn how to oil paint. I believe anyone can br a great artist/painter if they actually out their determination and will into it and ultimately trial and error is a big thing when you are starting something new. I dropped out of junior college where i was studying art (Well i just stopped going cause i didn't have money and it was a drag) because they weren't really teaching me things that I didn't know rather things that already made sense to me. Anyway I did a painting for someone as a wedding gift and I've never done an oil painting but I decided this could be fun and a learning experience. (I was kind if drunk since I was at a bar when this happened). I had about 5 months to do it but I didn't start till the 3rd or so. This was my 4th attempt at a oil painting. I also have a couple photos of my first attempts.

Tldr trial and error is the best way to learn how to paint, well for me.
>>
Also, what do you guys think about my painting?
>>
File: botero.jpg (34 KB, 460x500) Image search: [Google]
botero.jpg
34 KB, 460x500
>>2292561
Not bad for a beginner. But your drawing suffers, his chin :( the painting is better than where his chin bleeds into his neck.
Here, you have value, simple in the face, and simpler in shirt and background, broad color. There isn't any complex color, which perhaps you will improve on later.
The hair looks too flat, it would be better with a composite dark (some blue in there).
The composition is satisfyingly traditional.

Sure, show your earlier attempts?
>>
>>2292561
It's okay. Looks like you can control the oils, but now it's a matter of making good decisions in the painting. Right now it looks like you just copied a photo, mistakes and all. Like the colours look like a photo (not in a good way), his teeth look like you cut it out of a magazine of a different person and pasted it in, his eyes look dead, the whole thing feels flat, the edgework is poor etc.

I would recommend picking a master portrait painter, finding a hi-res image of theirs, and doing a master copy. Do this often. Sargent, Velazquez or Van Dyck are all good choices, but you can pick someone else if you feel more of a connection to their work. It would be good for you to try painting from life too. If you can get a model or friend to sit and pose for a 3 hour portrait or something you will probably learn a lot.
>>
File: 2015-10-24-10-06-48.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-24-10-06-48.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
>>2292568
This was the second attempt. I didn't take a picture of the first one since it easy horrid.
>>
File: _2015-11-21-21-12-04.png (4 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
_2015-11-21-21-12-04.png
4 MB, 1440x2560
>>2292568
>>2292574
This was my third attempt where I tried to start somewhere small and work myself out
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-24-10-05-19.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-24-10-05-19.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
>>2292568
Here's the third and last attempt side by side. I finally just did dark colors first and worked my way to light
>>
File: 20151022_171651-1.jpg (3 MB, 1910x2617) Image search: [Google]
20151022_171651-1.jpg
3 MB, 1910x2617
>>2292569
Well i did copy a photo. But I see what you're saying. This photo is better. You can actually zoom in and not he fuzzy.
>>
I agree with what >>2292568 said. ESPECIALLY about drawing. Anyone who did (and does) oil painting learned from seriously dedicated study. Go to your local gallery, engage with the staff and ask them to pull out pieces you like or want to emulate, do sketches.

I'm a little drunk, so be patient with me and I will pay you back in full. Painting is tough when you are learning on your own. Oil painting is difficult because it is messy and the traditional method is gradually fading away. So most of our knowledge (us oil painters) will come from books, unless an atelier is available. There are more in Europe, but not in the States, Canada, whatever. If you're near a 'painting atelier' I suggest researching it, talking to the 'master' and if you get a good vibe then go for it. If you don't then I've got some tips and books for you.

Books
>Philip Ball, Bright Earth
This book is great for learning the history of pigments and colour use in different cultures. Its an easy read, very conversational.

>Ernst Van de Wetering, The Learned Eye
This is a fantastic book, easy to read and relatively light. It teaches how artworks are dated and attributed. It has lots of information on method if you read between the lines at little bit. The focus is Rembrandt mostly but keep in mind he is a great artist to learn from.

>Vermeer's Hat
This is a decent book to read on-and-off. It just gets your mind working about WHAT is in the painting and how it informs the viewer about the context of a paintings creation. That's extremely important, context I mean. It is a charming read but not required.

>Richard Schmid, Alla Prima
This is most likely going to be the cornerstone of your knowledge that you can expand on in your own way. For fucks sake get this. Its fundamental, but don't get obsessed over it, its a tool. Not a way of life.
>>
>>2292590 cont.

Watch movies about famous painters (Nightwatching, Girl With the Pearl Earring, etc) and observe what materials they were using. It's surprisingly easy to decipher what materials they were using and find them. Play with the materials and study what they do technically, make notes in a sketchbook and take some photographs, you have a good camera and likely a tripod as far as I can tell.

My opinion is that you've got a good handle oils but are scared of broadening your colour range. You are limiting yourself and have a vague understanding of drawing but not an intimate one. Learn about lost line and found line. Study Rembrandt and get some high resolution images of his work. They're extremely thick, why? Research the difference between oil paint now and then (Flemish Masters). What is oil painting doing now? Look at that. But always remember that traditional oil painting is a slow death. For fucks sake just do lots oil paintings from life and learn to 'see' true colour; simultaneous contrast, lux, fields, whatever.

Don't go to art school, you can learn more with your own free time, just talk to painters if you can find them.

Learn your history of painting both past and contemporary. If you want to be traditional then prepare your ass for fucking. If you're contemporary then you can pretty much do anything you want, as long as you have the attitude and confidence to do it.

Good luck my oily friend. Paint or die.
>>
>>2292594
I will definitely check those out. Remember this I'd my first ever oil painting so I've had not the experience of broadening out the color wheel. Also I took the photo with my s6 edge. Lol
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.