[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVE uPmVAb8o It's time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11
File: 3424123.png (291 KB, 951x578) Image search: [Google]
3424123.png
291 KB, 951x578
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o

It's time to cut your losses and face reality.

Stop pursuing something you don't even enjoy doing.
Stop pursuing a career where you will be mistreated and under paid
Stop pursuing something you will never be good enough for.
>>
>>2562834

How to spot some sleazy entrepreneur marketer
>pause the damn video, don't even give it a second of your viewtime
>check the description to find any website linking back to authors digital product
Oh look, what a surprise. Man says don't follow your passion whilst he is following his by making $$$ off of others telling the self-defeated to give up theirs.

These people plague youtube. They come in all shapes and sizes. They're the ones telling you:
-don't go to college, instead I have X course that will be 10x better
-nobody is hiring, instead I got X product that can get you hired
-your life sucks, I have the solution to my website
-4 minute motivational video, 10 minute spam of come to my website for more goodies
etc etc etc all of which have the same format, same carrot on the stick THEY are the ones making money telling YOU not to do something but they are somehow your savior

And it works, because people are stupid. People love to give up easily. The people who do this are genius exploiting the already given up.
>>
File: schwarzenegger_cigar.jpg (38 KB, 243x314) Image search: [Google]
schwarzenegger_cigar.jpg
38 KB, 243x314
>>2562834
OP never made it, never will. Have fun getting scammed.
>>
File: 1410923715095.jpg (25 KB, 400x283) Image search: [Google]
1410923715095.jpg
25 KB, 400x283
>>2562859
itt: how to miss the point
>>
>>2562872

The point is OP is a loser who fell for bobby the internet affiliate marketer's snail oil tactics because he has already made up his mind. How do you think he came across the video? He >literally< typed into the search bar of youtube some defeatist phrase and what do you think happens next? He comes across Bobby the snail oil salesman's video.

Little does he know Bobby THRIVES off of idiots like him. Bobby's job is to harvest Googles SEO search terms and make videos off of this. This is where he gets a portion of his revenue. Then he waxes the description box (and tags) with said terms in hopes that he can get a return of investment. This is a big business that has worked for plenty of people and only idiots (like OP and the ~1million people who clicked on the video) fall for it.

But we need people like this in the world to cull the competition. Just think if 1 million people actually followed their passion and didn't listen to snail oil salesmen. We would have a major flood of artists and you and I won't get any work. They are a necessary evil.
>>
>>2562859

Not Op, but regardless of what he is selling or not he still has good points. Its basically impossible to tell if you'd even like a job if you haven't done it 8 hours a day.

The difference in job satisfaction between a carpenter and a concept artist/illustrator/actor ect; is probably very small, and has more to do with your co workers and boss than what task your actually doing.

If you just kinda like art do it as a hobby, there is 0 wrong with that, go do some shitty 9 to 5 in demand work save up and retire early by spending frugally.
>>
Isn't this shit from PragerU? That channel is complete bullshit.
>>
>>2562890

The man in the video doesn't even believe in what he says. He outsources his video scripts to people who do all the work kind of like how people outsource kindle book information and make all the profit. Learn to think for yourself.
>>
>>2562894

You don't even know who this is.
He clearly speaks from experiences he has had.
Argue his points instead of dismissing him as a scam.

I know artists aren't suppose to be smart but cmon m8.
>>
>>2562894
>he man in the video doesn't even believe in what he says.

That doesn't matter, the truth of an argument saying is independent of the speaker.

You wanna debunk the actual argument or just gonna rely on logical fallacies?
>>
>>2562916
stfu with your logical fallacies meme
>>2562911
This is why this business model works so well; you've made up your mind and refuse to believe it's not all some kind of lure keep him afloat while he takes vacations to Vegas every month. Look around you man, youtube is full of these people. It's no that hard to accept reality.
>>
>>2562935
>stfu with your logical fallacies meme

HERP DERP I CALLED U A MEME THEREFORE I INSTANTLY WIN 11!!1

I dare you to make an actual fucking argument against what he's saying.
>>
>>2562964

I don't fucking need to waste my time watching an internet marketers video. I do the same shit and have pals who do the same shit and make $$$ off of doing same shit. It's a business. Case close you're an idiot go finger yourself in the corner believing this stranger actually cares about you.
>>
>>2562834
woottt
>>
The primary example he uses in favor of his 'dirty truth' regards singing, which is actually more of a talent than a skill. You can take singing lessons, surely, but if your vocals are grading naturally, there isn't much to be done with it. He then goes on to tell his own story about how he wanted to be an architect like his father, and apparently tried and tried and got nowhere with it. What it sounds like is that he was struggling with 'talent syndrome' and was waiting for the talent to hit him and for him to be magically good at it. The thing is, the REAL dirty truth is, if the ability you want to achieve is a skill, you can learn it. As long as you do have passion for it, you can learn it. If he worked hard enough and didn't rely on the familial 'talent' to come to him, he could have been an architect. You have to work hard, practice your craft, learn, etc. But you'll only WANT to really focus in on something if you're passionate about it. Why do a job you don't like, that you would be miserable in, that you aren't passionate about? Monetary benefit only motivates so many people, some people seek a higher purpose with their work. Truly, it depends on the person. But, the people who want to follow their dreams and passions are the type of people who want more from their career than strictly financial gains and opportunities. These are the places where his argument falls short.
>>
File: 1464616897238.jpg (318 KB, 1600x950) Image search: [Google]
1464616897238.jpg
318 KB, 1600x950
That video is only true if you truly suck at whatever your passionate about.

I'm passionate about illustration and entertainment work, but I'm not going to turn around and become some plumbing assistant because it's an opportunity? Fuck that shit.
I'm going to become as good as I fucking can at drawing and painting to actually make a living at my "dream job"

Mike Rowe has been sitting around in septic tanks too long because even he's full of shit.

In today's day and age it is just as possible to become a freelance/studio artist and make an above-poverty living in comparison to a white collar office job.

If you're really passionate about something, then you're going to have the motivation to become damn good at whatever that may be. In OP's case, probably sucking dicks at the local gloryhole.
>>
>>2562972
>I don't fucking need to waste my time watching an internet marketers video

So you admit your dismissing everything he says without even watching the video.

Nice job proving you have no legs to stand on and are completely speaking out of your aids infected asshole.
>>
File: notbatman.jpg (7 KB, 154x254) Image search: [Google]
notbatman.jpg
7 KB, 154x254
>>2563128
Maybe if you had enough skin in your own game, you wouldn't have met this crook because you would be too busy getting good. You wouldn't have time to be searching up youtube defeatist videos. Keep sucking rowe's shriveled sausage.
>>
WTF. fucking conservashits, stop ruining people's dreams. This is why nobody likes you
>>
>>2563186
Yeah, it's better they get exploited and taken for everything they're worth by the libcucks that own art schools, for example.
>>
>>2563207
which do you prefer

liberals
>you're a good person
>no hate
>girl do u
>yes we can
>change
>free gibs me dat

conservashits:
>you're a bad person
>stop doing what you like coz it's a sin and you're going to hell
>you can have a gun tho.
>>
>>2563217
I prefer conservatives.

liberals
>I'm scared of this so ban it
>That hurt mt feelings so let's get rid of the first amendment

Conservatives
>Don't fuck with my Constitution
>don't kill babies

Though I am pro-abortion, non religious
>>
>>2562972
Mike Rowe isn't an internet marketer and PragerU is a nonprofit that makes little educational videos for YouTube you absolute fucking retard. It is amazing how smug you are when you have come to a conclusion that has no basis in reality.
>>
>>2563241

I can't hear you, you got too much of rowe's cock in your mouth.
>>
>>2563186
Because denying reality is so much better, right?

If you think the guy is saying "stop doing all the things you love right now faggots" then you are the fucking idiot he's trying to talk to. Draw, man. But don't draw and demand of the world that it makes your dream work. See the opportunity and fill it. Don't just spend 5 years practicing if there is nothing at the end of it.

I get it, divorcing oneself from reality isn't just in with the left, it's literally required. But this is your life we're talking about here. Allow yourself to make one informed decision in your life, even if you insist on being politically retarded.
>>
>>2563217
Liberals:
Feel like a good person
Concentrate on feeling like a good person
Not actually a good person
Doesn't matter, this is about selfish emotion
Spend other people's emotion
Maximum selfish fuck mode, congrats
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (716 KB, 1385x1193) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
716 KB, 1385x1193
>>2563232
Religion aside paleo-conservatism is the more utilitarian of the two umbrella ideologies for a variety of reasons that will be made more and more apparent in the coming years. Most of the things the religionfags bitch about they're powerless to actually enforce anyway-all it takes is a lawsuit to reverse an unconstitutional contrivance.
>>
>>2562834
don't die on me lovely thread
>>
>>2562834
Fuck off. Nobody ever fucking said that when I was little. Everyone said you couldn't make any money on art.
>>
>>2562911
>believing tv celebrities who are just trying to get paid

Just because it's on tv or the Internet it must be real too?
>>
>>2563232
>liberals
>I'm scared of this so ban it
>That hurt mt feelings so let's get rid of the first amendment

This can explain conservartives, too. This is why they are hypocrites. For example: conservatives claim to want guns out of the hands of 'bad guys.' Yet, the oppose gun restrictions. Now we had a suspected terrorist shooting up a nightclub all because he got a gun, because conservatives OPPOSED the same restrictions that would have stopped this dude from getting a gun in the first place. I bet you conservatives are only going to act on this now, because THEY are scared.

Everything is ok until THEY are scared and offended. Then things need to change. Yet, they bitch about liberals doing the same thing. It's like irony is lost on them.
>>
>>2562834
Sounds like this guy never really worked hard on his passion
He implies a lot that you need a natural talent rather than hard work which I don't agree with
>>
>>2563660
Not to get into politics on a NON political board but your stupidity is at an all time high and illustrates very clearly why not to take advice from people on IC about what to do with your career. Don't listen to non-artists telling you not to be an artists when you have thousands of actual artists doing the very thing people are saying can't be done.

Who cares was Rowe says, there are plenty of real life examples of working artists doing it and telling you how to do it. if you want to work in these fields then listen to them and work hard.

As a sidenote to illustrate your stupidity: The terrorist in orlando wasn't on any list or broken any law that would have allowed the federal government to take away his second amendment rights. The only "gun control" that would have stopped him would be to take away all guns since any lawful citizen would also be subject to whatever bullshit law you think would work. The overwhelming amount of gun deaths in america are carried out using illegal guns. Infact the terrorist worked for a security company as an armed guard and had to be legally licenced to get said gun. No law would have stopped that.

Yet again, why would anyone listen to a moron like you or rowe that use anecdotal bullshit/regurgitated disinformation to steer people towards what they think is best...to "protect them" from themselves. Let people make mistakes if they want to.

If you want to work in art for a living, do it, just know you'll have to work extremely hard to make it.
>>
>>2562834

>FYI PragerU is just a right wing propaganda website funded by the Koch brothers.
>>
>>2563669
>why not to take advice from people on IC about what to do with your career

I try to remind people this every time I see someone asking for career help. It is CRITICALLY important to not take career advice from people you don't know a single thing about. Seek advice elsewhere - it's actually out there.

This place is only good for shit-posting/entertainment and the occasional helpful feedback on the technical qualities of a work.
>>
>>2563660
>Gun laws
>doing anything

The only reason conservatives ever give ground on this issue is to appease emotionally unstable libcucks that think that the pluralistic United States with its 320 million strong population will ever be a homogenous utopian, European backwoods country with 10-15 million people.
>>
>>2563685
>but I'd rather listen to a guy telling me to give up
>>
>>2563669
>As a sidenote to illustrate your stupidity: The terrorist in orlando wasn't on any list or broken any law that would have allowed the federal government to take away his second amendment rights. The only "gun control" that would have stopped him would be to take away all guns since any lawful citizen would also be subject to whatever bullshit law you think would work. The overwhelming amount of gun deaths in america are carried out using illegal guns. Infact the terrorist worked for a security company as an armed guard and had to be legally licenced to get said gun. No law would have stopped that.

>Omar Mateen was a person of Interest to Fbi 2x
>2nd time was as recent as 2014

You are right, he wasn't a terrorist, but he was already on the FBI lists 2x once as person of interest and another as being associated with a terrorist. If there were background checks that would have popped up.
>>
>>2563689
What does being homogenous have to do with a lack of gun violence? I was always curious why people think this.
>>
ARTWORK/CRITIQUE HUH?
>>
>>2562834
Yeah all of you stop doing what you're doing so there's less competition kek.
>>
>>2563695
You're looking at an example in that very post.
>>
File: 124o5sd.jpg (229 KB, 504x424) Image search: [Google]
124o5sd.jpg
229 KB, 504x424
>>2562834
>prager university
they even let prominent climate change deniers do their videos.
>>
It's funny how many of you miss the point of the video by engaging in ad hominem attacks and reducing its message to crude hyperbole. Most of /ic/ is delusional not-gonna-make-its which makes the knee-jerk reaction even funnier.
>>
>>2563704
I'm stupid and don't see it.
>>
>>2563719
>Christian/Atheist country invites ideologically and religiously opposing foreigners in
>'gun violence' (which is a faggy term that singles out one specific type of violence amongst dozens for propaganda purposes just like 'gun deaths' which lump in suicides and accidents) soars, like magic.

If availability of guns were a primary contributing factor of murder and suicide rates the u.s. would place firmly at the top of both metrics, but it does not, because they are not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country
>>
>>2563715

The video has no point, retard.
>>
Feels good to be born rich and have all the time in the world to actually pursue the stuff I want to do
>>
>>2563653
this

I heard what is talking in that video all my life, guess where I got?

on 4chan shitposting

[spoiler]but I am gonna make it, I am gonna force it until the others will tell me ''I always knew you were gonna make it[/spoiler]
>>
>>2563136
>You wouldn't have time to be searching up youtube defeatist videos.

taking a few mins to watch youtube vids isn't going to destroy your working schedule.You don't literally have to spend every minute of the day practicing to get good.

The fact remains your a complete idiot who still hasn't made one good point in all of your post in this thread. Even if he was a complete shill and wrong on every point you still have shown yourself to not know wtf your talking about and spewing complete idiocy instead of making actual arguments.
>>
>>2562888
>Just think if 1 million people actually followed their passion and didn't listen to snail oil salesmen.

They did.
Not saying I agree with the video but don't delude yourself into thinking there isn't a flooded market of skilled artists competing with you for jobs.
>>
>>2563136

>I just don't have TIME with all this ART I'm doing!

He says while repeatedly replying and shitposting in a thread on /ic/.

In the time it took you to blast all this bullshit out your ass you could have watched the video and actually addressed some of what he said. What I hate more than assholes like him are assholes like you who smugly act like they know what they're talking about when they don't even bother to do the barest minimum of investigation.
>>
>>2562892
This. Other videos by them include the ''benefits'' and how wonderful marriage is despite the facts saying otherwise. LOL

> dont follow your passion
>work a trade
>get married
>most probably have kids
>have no time for passion anyways

good goy.
>>
>>2563770
Not unless I niche myself, faggot.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCYlmwiau8Y
>>
>>2562834
I feel like a more realistic version of what this guy is talking basically implies, you can get into drawing, but know 80% of the time you're not going to be drawing shit you like.
>>
>>2563660
Good god this some of the most incoherent rambling I've ever read. Learn to make a fuckign point or gtfo.

>>2563692

You're proposing that the government take away someones constitutional rights before they've even been charged with a crime, let alone convicted of one. Do I really need to explain how stupid this is?
>>
>>2563791
>80% of the time you're not going to be drawing shit you like.

Really good point, even if all your dreams come true you get to work for Ubisoft or Blizzard there is good chance a lot of your time will be spent drawing and painting buildings,props, environments ect; and not on what you want to draw and paint.

Combine that with long work hours and being forced to be creative on demand and what you imagine your dream job to be will fall very short vs reality of whatever industry your likely to go into.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't get into it but I think you should know what your actually getting into before you dedicate your life to it.
>>
>>2563817
>You're proposing that the government take away someones constitutional rights before they've even been charged with a crime, let alone convicted of one. Do I really need to explain how stupid this is?

You don't get to have free speech all the time. There are restrictions like with anything else. The lack of gun control in the US has less to do with constitutional rights and more to do with money.

>I don't agree with you so I'll chalk it up to rambling.

Sure there buddy.
>>
>>2563847
There are already far greater restrictions on guns than free speech. Not to mention that even convicted criminals don't get their right to speak taken away. Are you really this retarded?
>>
File: 1465825345241.gif (906 KB, 450x360) Image search: [Google]
1465825345241.gif
906 KB, 450x360
>>2563773
>says I need to investigate the video further
>he himself cannot stop investigating the authors hairy anus
>>2563767
>calls me an idiot
>but forgets to use you're and not your

/Isee/ with my little eye a legit fag and a legally blind moron
>>
>>2563669
>there are plenty of real life examples of working artists doing it and telling you how to do it.
>how to do it

then it's not about following your passion, the video is about setting reason over feelings to guide you, if you haven't been given that opinion ever before in you life, you won't try as much to be realist when you're going to make a decision, and you might take a wrong path

This applyes for art grades for example, most of them are trash, and if you're in EEUU you're gonna slave your future self in debt, which is even worse scenario. Keeping in mind passion is not the most imporant thing as the zeitgeist of this era says, do help to do better.
>>
>>2562859
You are legit retarded. How do you know they are following their dream? They are just entrepreneurs trying to make a living like everyone else and they are doing it this way, making this university thing or whatever it is. Trying to make money doing something isn't bad. Selling stuff isn't bad.

And they aren't telling you to be a defeatist, but just to take into account whether the proffession of your choice is actually profitable and to think of other professions that might result in you having a much better life. Just because you find the job unattractive doesn't mean it is really like that. There is a big demand in the US for skilled craftsmen but people blindly "follow their dream" going into oversaturated markets like art and then they live a life of stress, lots of work and bad pay.

It doesn't mean you can't make art. Even as an hobbyist you can keep getting better and maybe later on you'll have some better oportunities to get into it professionally. At least you can build some capital, invest, and then get into art without risking absolutely everything.
>>
>>2563889

I don't need some youtuber coon telling me what to do. Like I said OP wouldn't have found the video if he didn't look up some defeatist phrase. If you can't understand that, my mentally challenged friend, we have nothing further to debate here.
>>
>>2563866
>attacks my grammar
>in exact same writes "he himself"
>previous post wrote "It's no that hard "

pot calling kettle black, not even enough sense to proofread the post your attacking my grammar in.

>>
>>2563866
>>2563981
>cont
>idiot will only continue to respond with troll comments
>imo im done with this shit but ill leave you with enough grammar errors to trigger your autism
>>
>>2563232
I don't care about liberals or conservatives but for the love of FUCK the first amendment only protects you from persecution by the government. It doesn't give you the right to say whatever you want wherever you want without consequences.

Obviously the rational response to the question of passion is that when choosing a career you should pick whatever contributes to the life you aspire to have and can also achieve. No one is ever going to be able to tell you that there's no possibility of you being happiest as a professional artist, or that you'd be happiest with it just as a hobby while working a job that lets you spend a lot of time doing it just for fun (as opposed to knowing you depend on your art to pay the bills) .

Skill and determination are only a small aspect of success, the rest is luck, knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time. In art there's even more factors- Drawing the right thing and posting it in the right place, where you live and the social skills needed for networking.

That being said, if you want to be a professional artist, try it but always have a parachute.
>>
>>2562834
Prager """"""University"""""" is a cuckservative propaganda outlet owned by a psychotic jew. Don't give them youtube shekels by watching their retarded videos.
>>
>>2563988
>the rest is luck, knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time

Said the anon who's never worked hard or done anything. I think I can hear your mom calling, your pizza rolls are ready.
>>
That's it? Dissapointing vidya.

> Terrible advice: follow your passion.

Vidya of successfull people trying to deconstruct their successes: how can Lady Gaga could possibly know where your passion will lead you?

> Genuine shock at being rejected (example: American Idol).

For hobby, let your passion leads you.
For a job, dream jobs are usually dreams which will prevent you from trying another option. Plenty of opportunities will be ignored because you follow your passion.

Your daily work will have very little to do with your passion anyway.

Then an anecdote of a millionaire deconstructing his successes. Please note how he's suddenly doing what he condemned like 20 seconds ago. Way to go.

Now, anecdot about his grandad who told him yournotgonnamakeit, find another job.

> Never follow your passion, but bring it with you.

Ok I dissapoint, he's probably just finished reading So Good They Can't Ignore You and is giving up a bastardized version.
>>
>>2562834
Go tell me that 10 years ago when I wasn't balls deep in it. The advise is worthless now. I got no other options. It's either do or die.
>>
>>2564016
>falls for the "everything is just hard work meme"
>follows up with a classic "lé ebin you must be a basementdweller" shit

Gg
Gud argument
>>
Shit, why is everyone shilling trade schools these days?
>>
>>2564054
Jews need more construction workers to build ficki ficki houses for migrants
>>
>>2563863
>anyone and their mama can purchase almost any weapon of choice is 'great' restriction

Restrictions vary by state, really.
>>
>>2562894
You obviously dont know Mike Rowe
>>
>>2564840
idgas
>>
File: qt.jpg (235 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
qt.jpg
235 KB, 1920x1080
>>2562834
>top pursuing something you don't even enjoy doing.
>Stop pursuing a career where you will be mistreated and under paid
But I enjoy drawing porn and get paid decently for it/
>>
>>2565454
Well technically, it's a [spoiler]dirty job.[/spoiler] So Mike would be okay with it.
>>
>>2564016
Nah man, this world doesn't care how hard you work. I would say it only matters what results you produce, but even those don't matter if you aren't in the right place at the right time. I mean even historically speaking, all you have to look at is how many 'geniuses' were only appreciated after death. Look at all the people who never had to work at all but are still considered 'successful' and never have to worry about having enough money for food and rent.

Not sure exactly where you're coming from desu. Knowing that isn't a product of living in your mom's basement or having everything handed to you. To me it's like the exact opposite. It's just something most of us have to accept in order to survive. Life isn't fair. You're going to get screwed over a lot, some of us a lot more than others. Some of us a lot less. But at the end of the day whether you succeed or fail, whether you work hard or not, a lot of it comes down to luck. It's not edgy or anything, it's just... When it comes to picking your career, you can't pursue any career if you can't feed yourself and keep a roof over your head.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.