[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advise for a soon-to-be starving artist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: might as well.jpg (24 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
might as well.jpg
24 KB, 736x414
i'm fresh out of high school and don't have enough $ to go to college. For a long time i have come to terms with the fact the only thing i'm good at is making stories, i have no real value that sets me apart from other human beings in any way other than my ability to make artistic stories. i have been wanting to go down the illustration artist path since my sophomore year but real life/friend drama/depression/realizing that this dream of mine is the only thing that gives me value made loose my way and now i'm stuck on the not-a-newborn-begineer-but-still-no-where-near-being-a-real-"artist" phase of drawing

so i guess my questions boil down to;
1.what is the most reliable way to be able to learn to draw what ever i want/need to (i don't care how long it takes, pic related
2.what job goes best with someone who is trying to do #2 (i don't care if i'm a drone for the rest of my life, as long as i can do #2
3.is there any kind of insight that i overlooked that you can give me?

i can post the last art i have drawn+answer any extra questions if anyone gives a damn
>inb4 post is to long

i'm sorry,it was originally longer, this is the short version

>inb4 you're an idiot and have fun going downhill from here

I am well aware of my idiocy, also pic is sill related
>>
>>2559767
>what is the most reliable way to be able to learn to draw whatever I want.
You.....you know....draw whatever it is you want to learn, over and over again for years.

It takes years to get "good", going through and learning the basics. There are plenty of websites, tutorials, videos out there for illustrator/concept artist wannabes going through things to study and how to do it. It just boils down to doing studies of figures, landscapes, color, rendering, texture, lighting, etc. to practice what you want to learn.

Don't listen to morons on here about how to learn using their "best" way to do it. Go find skilled people who actually can do it and listen to them via tutorials on gumroad, or youtube or other forums.
>>
>>2559774
OP here

>learning the basics

well of course, i agree with you but i guess what i was trying to say is that is there some kinda of way to learn all of that in a linear way? one of my biggest problems was that i would jump around trying to draw, buildings,people and clothes. i have never attempted to draw legit landscapes or animals or plants. i'm overwhelmed by everything i'm supposed to learn.
>>
1. Get a (part-time) job so you won't be starving but "not-quite full, not-quite warm and safe".

Jump right into fantastic job opportunities such as night guard in parking lot or construction site, cashier in theatre or small cinema that no one comes to, shady hotel/hostel receptionist on night shifts and other jobs for life failures where you have big downtime and can dedicate that time to art.

2. Spend several years like that, git gut, supplement your job with commissions, become studio artis-haha, actually become yet another graphic designer, win a life better than dealing with angry alcoholics at 4:00 am alone, be glad that you have job connected to art and you can live decent life and not one of poverty.

3. Alternatively become alcoholic yourself, never leave your job of being guard in a museum, reflect on life full of wrong choices at 40.

Ok, now do it faggot and remember - it all takes time. And yeah, actually involving yourself with other artists helps, so first thing there will be opportunity to draw buttons andsluders for websites full/part-time, get there.
>>
>For a long time i have come to terms with the fact the only thing i'm good at is making stories, i have no real value that sets me apart from other human beings in any way other than my ability to make artistic stories.

Question: how do you know this? Have impartial audiences (i.e. not your mom or friends) shown an active interest in your stories? Do they want to see and know more? Does your written work have a following?

It seems odd to me that someone with little artistic experience would be so confident about the quality of their story work. Does it come from somewhere, or is it just self-assurance?
>>
>>2559767
>For a long time i have come to terms with the fact the only thing i'm good at is making stories
That's some cool wishful thinking you got there desu senpai
>>
>>2559767

Hi OP.

The best advice is to pick an illustrator you like and become as good as him. Forget the story crap.

Pick an illustrator that is making money and get as good as him. Then, you would get money.

The worst thing you can do is focus on stories if you want to be an artist.

So OP tell us your three favourite artist, then work towards becoming as good as them. Forget about story telling.
>>
>>2559809
>how do they know this

i was being semi sarcastic when i said my only skill is making stories. i don't really have any practical life skills at all tbqh
>>
>>2559804
>get a part time job

is working in a store like wall-mart or dollar tree a good choice for me?
>>
>>2559920

Usually in a store you work heavily many hours a day and there is no downtime: working the cash register, placing products on the shelves, unwrapping them in a warehouse, mopping the floor etc. so you can't really draw on a job.

But whatever gives you cash so you can live somehow and save for things you'd like to have is good.

Just remember that you won't probably be working 6h/day while having full-time job. (and no, weekends don't cut it, remember that having some sort of social life/relax time is important too)
>>
>>2559836
>tell us

well, here it goes

1.Eiichiro Oda
the thing is that anime/manga is already horrible for learning the basics but his particular art style is very stylized and fantastical, which is bad when you want to learn the how to draw from the ground up

2.Frank Cho
this guy's art is great, but i still think it's to advanced for a relatively-newfag like me

3.it's a tie between Astor Alexander & Scott Campbell (probably more to campbell) but their art is just as good and thus just as advanced as Frank Cho

The thing is i want to be able to one day draw in many and any style i want (which is basically saying i want to have multiple art styles, that may be impossible) but i just sum it up in the statement ''i want to be able to inscribe what ever is in my mind on a sheet of paper''

i have a hunch that simply emulating wont make me what i want to be. I know i'm simultaneously in over my head biting off more than i can chew, but i'm missing something. if it's the fundamentals then where is the best place to look for things like that?
(sorry if i sound like a pisspoor know-it-all)
>>
>>2559831
>that's some cool wishful thinking
i was being sarcastic troll-kun, my only life skills are being a lackluster nobody
>>
>>2559923
>working in store is bad for me
>full time job is bad too

so what kind of job is ideal for someone in my situation? i intend on moving out and living a low-cost MGTOWesque life for a while, but is there a job that could actually be good for my goal or will i have to just make do with what is available?
>>
>>2559767
OP, you should probably do some more research and try out a community college. Even if you don't have enough cash to go straight to a 4 year, you can get your general classes out of the way/go for an associates in an art related field, and be much better off. Some college looks better than no college on any application.
It's silly for you to just give up on college because you don't have enough dough - CC's exist that'll give you a full ride if you've scored a 27+ on your ACT and have at least a 2.5 GPA.
Please try out some of the college subreddits on reddit, I know for a fact that plenty of graduates and admissions officers lurk them, maybe some of them could give you more information.
>>
>>2562015
>thanks anon, i appreciate the input

but the thing about me is that i passed high school by the skin of my teeth. My GPA was 2.1 and i didn't do any extra curricular activities. I'm afraid of going to an interview, a job or a college one, and they ask some kind of ''what sets you apart, what kind of projects have you worked on,why should you get this instead of the next guy'' kind of question because of how utterly inept i am. i haven't completely ruled out CC but if i could barley handle high-school then CC might just reinforce how much of a deadbeat i am.
>>
>>2562077
College is college.
The diploma is just "look i put up with 4 years of bullshit"
>>
>>2562077
What was your ACT/SAT score? Did you take AP classes? There are a variety of factors that dictate whether you can or can not get into a college, even a CC.
You can always change and improve yourself, even if you think you are and feel like you are a lazy sack of trash, I promise you that you're not! That's what college is for after all, to learn.
Like I said, you should really hit up a website that's devoted to helping young students like yourself guide the rocky waters into post education.
Don't give up!
>>
>>2559767
Just practice you fucking idiot.

Get a job like security guard where you sit around unsupervised so you can draw all day
>>
File: 1444605258180.jpg (27 KB, 500x392) Image search: [Google]
1444605258180.jpg
27 KB, 500x392
never before have i seen a bigger whiny spoonfeed thread in ic
>>
>>2563242
You must be new then, because these happen daily.
>>
OP Here

>>2562208
>college is college
>college is also $
>first i give them my $ then if i'm not a deadbeat i will eventually make $, then if i'm really a worker ant i will make $$ but probably not $$$
>unless the odds are in my favor
>decisions, decisions...

>>2563071
i didn't take the ACT OR SAT or AP classes because i was focused on not being an Utter Failure and i didn't want to bite off more than i could chew (i at least managed to be a average run-of-the-mill Failure, not an Utter one),but yeah, i'll see want i can do, thanks for the push anon-kun

>>2563234
thank you senpai, your words have cleared the fog of my mind and filled my heart with fire.

>>2563242
anon, if things go well enough for me i will be happy to come back to this thread and spoon feed other failures like me. Until then all i can do is shrug my shoulders, your right, i suck.

>>2563250
Yosh!
>>
File: dasdasafdffdgajkladsh.flsd.af.jpg (76 KB, 497x463) Image search: [Google]
dasdasafdffdgajkladsh.flsd.af.jpg
76 KB, 497x463
>>2559767
if you're good at making stories then write a fucking story and sell the fuck out of it. not rocket science.
>>
>>2563700
>if you really are good at making stories
>write a fucking story
>sell the fuck out of it

not to be a jerk, but i have a stark feeling that life isn't that simple.
>>
>>2559767
I thought the silhouette looked like an old lady with Jasmine hair knitting something at first. The faggot who made this really should have picked a more recognizable silhouette or something.
>>
File: lufee.jpg (59 KB, 736x413) Image search: [Google]
lufee.jpg
59 KB, 736x413
>>2563849
>the fag who made this

kek, i just wanted a pic with the quote and got a decent one from googleimages, i understand what you mean though
>>
>I'm good at making stories
>value that sets me apart from other human
>only thing that gives me value

you're fucking delusional, I'm sorry for you, you must have had really shitty role models

You DO NOT know your value because you DO NOT have any value as storyteller. You're not a story teller, you've not expirienced making bussiness yet holy shit. You can say it's your value if you're at least making some money from it, but that's not the case I assume.

You might be passionate about it, you might do something most people don't mind trying, but that doesn't mean shit except for you.

Value is a thing set by the reality, not by your wishes.

Your personal value is something you set yourself with your own skills and actions, so arm yourself with good values and get over that girly melodrama.
>>
>>2563809
You won't get anywhere thinking about whether something is simple or not. Most important of all, you won't get any experience if you sit there waiting for the perfect method to magically appear.

>Write story
>Upload it somewhere
>Share/Advertise
>>
>>2563867

>you fucking delusional

FOR THE LAST TIME, I AGREE WITH YOU,
i was being semi-sarcastic,i wouldn't claim to be such a failure if my stories were really that amazing. i guess a more accurate thing to post would have been ''i have been creating stories in my head for so long that it's the only thing i feel that i really have a shot at" so i goofed in those regards.

value is so utterly subjective that a dog could be man's best friend to one person but could just be food to another. When you say ''arm yourself with good values'' that could literally mean anything. do you mean become a workaholic that won't let anyone stop him?
should i just do what makes money and throw away any thoughts of innovating? a little bit of both? Senpai, why would you give me fire with no fuel?

>>2563880
your absolutely right
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.