[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Visualization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: ae1820.gif (539 B, 216x216) Image search: [Google]
ae1820.gif
539 B, 216x216
Can you visualize (in your "mind's eye") something simple as square, circle, triangle etc.?

Can you see it clearly? Can you see it in color? Can you hold it in your mind's eye for a long time or it quickly dissapears? Can you modify that shape as you wish?
>>
>>2561292
I can visualize more than just simple shapes. I can make forms appear in my mind, and twist them and bend them and modify them and move them about in space in relation to each other. Usually I can only hold a few simple forms in my head at a time, maybe 2 or 3, though I can visualize a foggy version of entire compositions.

I presume most people can visualize about the level I can, though I might have slightly above average spacial manipulation in my visualizations because I've been doing art longer than most on the board here.
>>
>>2561304

>because I've been doing art longer than most on the board here

How do you know that?
>>
>>2561311
Most people here have been doing art for a few months to a few years. This can be seen by both the level of work people are posting and from past threads where there were polls taken to get basic statistics on the board. I'm probably around 7ish years, so while I'm sure there are people here who have been at it longer than me, I think it is safe to say I have been doing it for longer than the majority of people here.
>>
>>2561292

To put it simply, no.
I can have the shape, but I don't have a computer screen in my head. The color especially bugs me, it has no brightness and no clear hue. It's more like I know it's red, it's not really red.
That being said, I can modify it at will and imagine entire composition in my head instead of putting it on paper. It doesn't work for color at all. No color.

> No colors today, boss
>>
I'm a tulpafag, so yes, I am skilled in visualization.
>>
>>2561292
Is it something people find hard to do? I could always visualize complex structures, rotate them how I wanted, observing them from different angles and with different lens distortion. I guess that's because my mother made me study math and geometry really hard when I was in school.
>>2561321
If you are not a Buddhist practitioner you should stop fucking around with tulpas. it's not safe and might lead to horrible consequences.
>>
>>2561321
Have your headmates ever tried to kill you, tumblr-kun?
>>
No. I always collect references before I need to draw a square.

It really helps a lot!
>>
>>2561337

>Is it something people find hard to do?

Yes
>>
>>2561378

Visualization has nothing to do with drawing, my friend
>>
>>2561292
good job, now I am visualizing hordes of throbbing, disembodied dicks in 3D
>>
>>2561393

Well, if you don't draw it, you can't be 100% sure that you are really "seeing" it.

For example, I can easily see my workplace in my head. Now if I had to draw it, how many windows does it really have? Yet the image in my head seems so vivid, almost real. The illusion stops only when I focus on details, like the number of windows.
>>
can visualization be trained?
>>
yes

as a kid, i would use my imagination a lot to enhance whatever i was doing (playing with toys, looking out the window during car rides, etc.)
now, i can visualize complex scenes with mostly accurate light, shadow, and perspective as well as adjust things like form and composition

now it's just a matter of making my hand accurately recreate what my mind sees

on a semi-related note, i suppose it's worth mentioning i started learning 3d modeling and animation software/techniques before i attempted to get better at 2d art
>>
>>2561856
yes, works hand in hand with memory

When drawing something, try to remember as much as possible of your subject. Look less in quantity, look more in length of time. Hope that makes sense.

Don't hop on construction (construction it's good but learning to draw without it is just as good) but draw the outlines from the start. And always, ALWAYS, before each line, check your proportions to what you drew so far.

By focusing on what you see, and not constructions (aka breaking up in easier to understandable shapes, what you think you see), combined with the memory chore, should help you remember more about your subject. Do that for everything, and congratulation, you are kjg.

When doing drawings with constructions use whatever you want, but when doing it this way try to use something 100% opaque, like a pen or marker.

That is how I saw improvement in my visualization, mostly because I was focusing on construction too much, idk where your problem is, but if it's the same as mine then I hope this helped you.
>>
>>2561868
oh, and another thing, this one I learned from Richard Schimd

Since you are not doing constructions to break your subject in easier to understand shapes, start by drawing the shapes which are already there and easier to understand for you. Leave the hardest stuff at the end, if you did no mistake by then, then it will be easier.

>>2561865
Now I remember I use to do this a lot too and still do when I have time. But my problem was that whatever I was visualizing would slip away too fast, and the exercises from my previous post would help me keep the image for longer in my head.

As a bonus, this helped me with dreaming, reading and speaking. My ideas don't slip away as fast now so I don't have to do something right away when thinking it otherwise I forget it. Still working on it tho.

IN CONCLUSION, it matters on what your bottleneck is: identify it, work on it
>>
Easily. Isn't visualizing things in the mind something normal, like reading a book don't you play a movie inside your head?
>>
I find it strange, my visualization is similar to when you have a very bright light shined at your eyes, and taken out. Everything is seen normal, but the center is always blurred out/faded away whenever I try to focus on the details of a memory.
>>
Yes, but it has to be in motion for some reason.
>>
>>2561906
sure, but how concrete is the movie? for me, i'd have to think very hard to try and make it clear, but even then it's not a complete picture
>>
Not being able to visualize is artist's (in all fields) biggest nightmare since it is the skill that is the hardest to learn.
Learning anatomy, color or composition is easy comparing to learning how to visualize what you want to visualize and hold that picture in your brain for as long as you want.
>>
Yeah, anything, anytime, anywhere. I can hold it as long as it's relevant or interesting.
>>
>>2561292
Is this CIA or whatever else super-secret trying to figure out how a mind works, so they could control us?
>inbf4 muh >>x
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.