[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art Markers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: copics.jpg (52 KB, 600x385) Image search: [Google]
copics.jpg
52 KB, 600x385
My family wants wishlists from us for xmas but I don't think any of them would actually get me even a small set of copics they're so jacking expensive. What are other markers that are worth their salt?
>>
>>2284378
Why don't you just ask them for money? Or even better get a job?
>>
>>2284378
I have no idea about markers, but you can find video reviews of the cheaper ones on youtube. they might help you to decide.
>>
>>2284378
markers in their nature are gonna be pretty expensive just because of the materials and the cost of production

also because youre gonna need quite a bit of them to do more fleshed out works unless you're okay with super simple color palettes

cheaper alternatives to copic that are still fairly on par are Prismacolor, Shin-Han TOUCH, Spectrum Noir

look into those three

specifically shin-han touch i got a big set of 60 or so for like a third of the price of copics and they're almost just as good. theyre cheap cause theyre like korean or some shit and not really known (at least when i bought mine) i dont know how they are now they could have went up in price since then
>>
>>2284378
>copic
>for an amateur
just use those kurekolors
>>
>>2284378
get watercolors instead
>>
just get the set of grays, thats all you need to start
>>
*cough* Michaels or Blicks *cough*
40 or 50 percent off coupons *cough*
>>
>>2284378
Copics are worth the cost if you are doing 2D character art/illustration

>>2284490
watercolors will be a cheaper alternative, but if you don't have much experience with a brush, there will be a learning curve. Also, the colors arent as brilliant, but its an okay tradeoff.

>>2284532
This is what I do. Hobby Lobby has sets at $50, and I just go in with 40% off coupons.
>>
>>2284378
where are you from?
maybe promarkers are sold in your country, they are cheaper
>>
>>2284378
You also need expensive paper to use copics
>>
>>2284530
this - underrated comment
>>
>>2284595
dafuq I use canon's copy paper and it never bleeds. 5€ x1000 sheets or something like that.
>>
i have about $300 worth of copics, i can tell you that you can definitely get away with just 3 if you're going monochromatic (Adam Hughes is a great example of what you can do with a small set of markers). I would recommend 0, 2, 4 or 6, and I'm sure you already have a regular non-copic black marker lying around somewhere. But whichever you go, stick with it's family (cool, warm, neutral, tone). You can build from there (buy every other in the mono range) IMHO this is an inexpensive way to get into Copic. Colors get way way more expensive when you go color ... trust me (did I mention $300 worth of markers?)
>>
>>2284606
good paper means you can blend the colours better , try it out sport
>>
>>2284626
Do you recommend the 6pc grey sketching set? It just has tones of neutral grey.
I can't find any sets with cool and warm greys in the same set.
>>
>>2284626
>>2284793

I have over 220+ colors. At this point, I'm just turning into a color collector. Well over $300 worth. Plus liners. Plus the airbrush set. Plus the 40cc bottle of colorless blender. Plus about 10 refills.

I completely agree with the grey set as being a priority. They have color sets. You get three blending colors, matching color liner and a black multiliner I believe. They have a color set like this in every color family. That would be a great way to get into copics.

I ended up jacking 1/3 of my copics from Michaels. (they carry a limited number. I think only like 110 colors -- really all you need) and to get the rarer colors I legitimately went to hobby lobby, bought a color I need (hobby lobby carrying at least 250+ in a case) and then took my michaels color, returned it, and swapped out for a new color. You can do this because hobby lobby doesn't use skus/barcodes. It shows up on the receipt as "marker --- 6.99. So, using a coupon, I essentially got two rarer colors for 4.54. I'm no angel. :*

I'm a marker whore however. I bought a set of Shinhan Touch Brush markers on ebay. 100 for 90 dollars. She threw in a couple extra. A couple of the nibs were dried out and crumbled, but it was well worth the investment. I now have cheap colors in every color family (100 markers included three greytones (cool, warm, blue green)) and I basically fuck around with those when I'm practicing overlaying colors for shadows. You know, so I don't fuck up my copic nibs if I don't NEED to.

I'm now getting into the Winsor and Newton watercolor markers. I fucking love watercolor, but I'm lazy and I hate the fucking set up and the space you need and all the fucking brushes you're required to have. I'm excited for the watercolor markers. :3
>>
>>2284793
(5 grey markers and one liner set?) It might be a good deal depending on how much you pay for it. But imho i'd rather just piece it out and replace the darkest marker with two liners (if you're going for liners you can't just get one size). Also, as much as i love the look of sp liners, they're too expensive. I bought them back when they were much cheaper and i wouldn't get them again.
>>
>>2284378
You could do Fine Colour or Kure Colour
>>
File: faberpittartistspensets.jpg (92 KB, 400x800) Image search: [Google]
faberpittartistspensets.jpg
92 KB, 400x800
Maybe Faber Castell PITT Artist Pen?
>>
>>2284567
>This is what I do. Hobby Lobby has sets at $50, and I just go in with 40% off coupons.
Christ, I'm a retard for not thinking of this one.

As for a Copic alternative, I like ShinHan Touch markers. I'm not sure where you can get them in the US, as I bought them while I was abroad, but they're about half the price. The only issue I see with them is no refills.

>>2285135
I'm glad I'm not the only marker whore who resorts to occasionally sketch tactics.
>Used to have a girl go in to Hobby Lobby/Michael's to steal a bunch of markers for me and I'd buy them for $3 a pop
>tfw they're all locked up now
>>
>>2285862
We do what we gotta do to get our arts on. ;)
>>
>>2285862
>>2285135
>>2286339

Fuck.... Even Marker fanatics rack up Markers and Pens.
I thought Graff Writers were the only ones who stole and got a 5-Finger-Discount on their supplies, but Woah and behold- Every artist does.
Seriously, why are art supplies so fucking expensive? Either way, feels good we share the same passion, no matter the medium.
>>
>>2286435
>Seriously, why are art supplies so fucking expensive?
Because everyone steals them T.T
>>
>>2286640
Don't hate the playa, hate the game.
>>
Where is a cheap place to buy Coptic refills?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.