[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anatomy thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 600x487) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 600x487
How do I make my body look natural?
I always use this practise (look at pic) but it always looks wrong and unnatural. How do you do it?
>>
>>2283769
You're using a simplified skeleton...

If you want to have natural figures then you need to actually draw them in fully and not have something that is essentially an advanced stick figure. They can still be simple, but they should have some volume to them. Right now the arms and legs have no form at all and are just a single line, and even your torsos and heads do not show the volume well and are just 2d flat shapes.
>>
>>2283774
Well it isn't the simplification that is his issue here. You don't need form to capture gesture at all. It is that he doesn't understand weight and balance. Look at his character with the hand on the pelvis, obviously the left leg is bearing weight but there is no response from the pelvis or rib cage. If a person bears weight onto one leg like that the hips shift upward and the ribcage moves downward toward the hip creating a pinch.
OP, some recommendations. Watch Michael Hamptons video series called "analytical figure drawing" and read his book. Also check out Villpu
>>
>>2283786
>You don't need form to capture gesture at all
Depends. I would say form can help show some important things in gesture like how a torso twists or if the rib cage sits in front of the pelvis in some way. It's not necessary in every pose though.

>Also check out Villpu
This should be the main response. Vilppu shows very clearly a simple way of getting a natural fluidity in poses and can show gesture and form in an incredibly economical way.
>>
>>2283790
Yeah you are most definitely correct
But I also like Hampton, I feel he expresses things in ways that Villpu doesn't and it just makes more sense to me. There is no reason to not watch and read both Villpu and Hampton.

So yeah, OP's cure would be a healthy dose of Villpu and tons of 60 second gesture drawings I feel.
>>
>>2283769
Note this is not my drawing. I'm just using it as an example of how i ussualy draw the body. But thanks for the advice anyway.
>>
>>2283803
Then why did you post it you dunce. Anyway, you shouldn't have made your own thread for this. Go to the beginner thread and post this type of stuff. Don't post other people's shit either, always post your own.
>>
>>2283797
>healthy dose of Villpu and tons of 60 second gesture drawings I feel
different anon here
im still pretty new and i know there's a beginner thread but when you say 60 second does that mean i try and draw a gesture in 60 seconds no matter how shitty it is ?
>>
>>2283818
Yes. You have a timer for 60 seconds and spend that long on each drawing. So you might do it for 15 minutes and at the end you will have done 15 drawings in 1 minute each.
>>
>>2283818
Well I was referring to timed gesture drawing.
http://www.quickposes.com/
Check that website out, read Villpu and Hamptons books and watch their videos as they explain gesture. Capturing gesture is more about feeling the pose more than anything, you learn to feel the pose from careful analysis and understanding of how the body moves and shifts weight, I feel.
But yeah, just read some of them books and go from there.
>>
>>2283830
>>2283831
i'll do this, i have some of villpu's videos so i'll give those a watch too. thank you for the replies
>>
>>2283830
>>2283848
one more question real quick , do i draw the gestures in a larger size or a smaller size ? and do i do it on a regular sized paper ?
>>
>>2283851
You're overthinking this. There's no single way to do it. Some people do them tiny and fill a page with them, other people use 18x24 newsprint with charcoal and do one per page. And other people do everything in between. You can use ink or pencil or conte or pastel or even a brush. The way you do it isn't that important, it's more an exercise in capturing the essence of a pose (hence the short time limit so that you only have time to capture the essence and not get distracted with measuring and anatomy and rendering and everything else in drawing).
>>
>>2283853
thank you for clearing this up, i know it must be annoying to explain but i appreciate the help
>>
>>2283848
As for the videos, you are going to have to hunt them down on the torrent sites. I got mine from a private tracker.
The books I mentioned are in this collection somewhere
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/17axpf4d7k05u/artbooks#myfiles
Check out the "art book" thread, also.

Here is Hampton's stuff which I cannot speak highly enough about.
http://kickasstorrents.to/search.php?key=Michael+Hampton
>>
>>2283872
thank you for this, i can trust they're clean downloads ? i went to the art book thread, i downloaded all the beginner books , some are of use. overall thank you again
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.