[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drawing Mechanisms/Cybernetics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 21
File: 14256785922.gif (1014 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
14256785922.gif
1014 KB, 500x269
How do I draw complex mechanical objects?

Cybernetics, Mechs, Space ships. Just Sci-Fi stuff.

What do I have to learn? I'm learning how to draw people and anatomy right now but I want to draw cool mechs and cyber shit. It's my dream.
>>
that's such a vague fucking question that demands such an open ended-answer

it's all just study. study real life mechanics and understand how they work so you can translate that into your own art. look at popular sci-fi related media; don't copy but observe how it goes together to make it believable

(((why did u ask something so obvoius that i had to spoonfeed it to u))))

also protip for you in the future (if you odn't drop out of art in three months like every fucking beginner on here): study how mechanic joints work as they're a huge make-or-break factor in mechs and stuff
>>
>>2538169

I kinda figured I had to study real life mechanisms just how I'm studying real life humans so I can draw them.

I guess I was kind of thinking maybe there is some good videos/books out there?

Well, this just means I'm going to have to go for that full on "renaissance man" life and get my hands a little dirty with engineering.

Your input is helpful though! My question was probably really vague because I'm just lacking direction right now.
>>
>>2538169

Oh, I guess one more specific question I have is how will studying real life mechanisms help me make something believable but non-existent like Cyborgs and Mechs? I'm guessing they share some basic resemblance to real life machines and I add in extra things for flair? Or maybe I'll figure that out on my own as I study them?
>>
File: image.jpg (709 KB, 864x996) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
709 KB, 864x996
>>2538165
Build some master grade gundams, and play with the joints and inner frame. Many of the outer panels move when the joints move, and when you piece the model together you gain a lot of spatial reasoning.

Part of making up something mechanical is also making it believable.

>>2538181
Gundams models are good examples of something that is made up, but with working mechanical parts.
>>
File: kallamity_home.jpg (48 KB, 600x736) Image search: [Google]
kallamity_home.jpg
48 KB, 600x736
http://www.kallamity.com/
rocketumbl.tumblr.com

Resources.
>>
>>2538829
>>2538854

Thank you anon, these are great resources.
>>
>>2538165
go to the library and take out all the books on mechanical engineering, and on machinery like cars, planes, tractors, guns, whatever.
would also recommend looking up youtube videos on how various mechanics work, maybe some slow mo footage of machinery so you can study how they inetract and work.

the best way to learn how to draw complex mechanical objects is to actually own a car, motorcycle, etc or something that you can take apart with your own hands.
>>
File: armor.jpg (376 KB, 628x800) Image search: [Google]
armor.jpg
376 KB, 628x800
Here's a painting I made, my tip for drawing mechs is to think about atmosphere and light, and you gotta pick which kind of mecha aesthetic you're into. Like, you into 90s anime or Avatar?
>>
File: ev.jpg (270 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
ev.jpg
270 KB, 500x600
>>2539351
here's one thats kinda similar, but more evangelion
>>
File: mech fei-yen.jpg (419 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
mech fei-yen.jpg
419 KB, 960x540
learn where to put extra parts in.
all the extra bits that primitive mechs need attached to them, so they can mimic organic creatures. the best way to portray this is using blocky shapes and hard edges sticking out of usually smooth surfaces.

eg. i could draw a humanoid, maybe give it hinges as knees, small cables here and there, and basic patterns on it to look like metal panels.
but it will still look too organic, giving the impression that the mech is a perfect copy of an organic creature. it won't look mechanical.

logically, there would be extra bits hanging off of it everywhere, but not always in places you'd expect, which is why some of the coolest looking mechs have extra bulk in the weirdest of places.

eg. a humanoid mech can't fall over and get back up the same way people do.
to handle falling over and getting back up, it actually needs extra parts added to its chin and back. a solid L-shaped frame that goes from its chin, to the back of its neck and all the way down its spine, which is what makes them look so blocky. it's essentially a roll-cage.
they use their chin to both take the fall and then provide support as they prepare to get back up:
https://youtu.be/rVlhMGQgDkY?t=2m5s

also, an easy way to make something organic look mechanical, is to expose vital parts of it so they're out in the open and at risk.
for example, muscles and main arteries. on a humanoid mech, draw those as big, thick rubber cables that are out in the open. it gives the viewer the impression that those are still vital parts of the body, but due to the primitive nature of the mech with so much machinery jam-packed in, they have to just kinda dangle around in-between moving parts. it looks even better if the surface around them is all brightly colored, but then the exposed area is an abyss, like a car engine bay.

so rather than thinking about how to draw something mechanical from scratch, think about how you'd take something organic, and then transform it to look more primitive.
>>
File: reaction.jpg (5 KB, 128x122) Image search: [Google]
reaction.jpg
5 KB, 128x122
>>2539559
Good advice right here.
>>
>>2539559
thanks family man
>>
File: 1439523190152.png (1 MB, 1129x837) Image search: [Google]
1439523190152.png
1 MB, 1129x837
>>2538165
there's some mech pdf's/links i posted on the older books thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL5IxkHnQk4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_LIfuyF1XU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umg_spkkeu0
>>
>>2539351

I'm into 90s anime mechs yeah.

>>2539559

This is also really helpful
>>
File: machine_web_01_2000.jpg (231 KB, 1600x1214) Image search: [Google]
machine_web_01_2000.jpg
231 KB, 1600x1214
>>2538165
dunno but you should pick a choice

there are authors who believe in artificial muscles like masamune shirow and there are authors who only draw actuators
also there are artist who design hybrids like aaron beck

pick related an aaron beck hybrid
>>
>>2538165
please don't make the mistake of adding meaningless details that serve no purpose

whenever you draw a part or a detail ask yourself what it does, why is it there and what's it's purpose, and if you can't come up with an answer don't add it
>>
File: saturn5allclean2.jpg (1 MB, 2058x3297) Image search: [Google]
saturn5allclean2.jpg
1 MB, 2058x3297
most of the really prominent hardsurface guys have an engineering or industrial design background.
just as you'd expect a character designer to understand human/animal anatomy, a mechanical designer should understand machines.

>how will studying real life mechanisms help me make something believable but non-existent like Cyborgs and Mechs?

machines are defined by two things: desires and constraints.
the reason you travel to the moon strapped to a missile is because nothing else will work. once your desires and constraints are broadly defined, you can deal with the nuance.

how much force to we need to transport the payload,e.g what is the least amount of stuff we can put in this thing and have it still function?

what is the lightest material that can perform this task without failing?

once a vehicle is in space, how does it come back?

how does a human survive all of this?

what if something goes wrong?
>>
>>2539822
This is the most important part.

Greebles are for faggots who don't know what they're doing.

Don't be a faggot.
>>
>>2540241
>>2539822

It's why I made the thread,

I want to make stuff that looks cool AND has actual constructive thought put into it.
>>
there was this very useful tutorial where they showed you how to draw shapes for a variety of machines. I sadly lost it.
>>
File: 1446737878010.jpg (180 KB, 930x709) Image search: [Google]
1446737878010.jpg
180 KB, 930x709
>>
>>2540431

WHAT BOOK IS THAT???
>>
>>2538165
>>
>>2538165
This book will help you do exactly what you want:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-sketching-environments-imagination/dp/1933492732/ref=sr_1_11/182-4778281-9325617?ie=UTF8&qid=1464510705&sr=8-11&keywords=how+to+draw

A good search term for what you're looking to pick up is "industrial design". Viktor Antonov and Syd Mead are practically the best at this.
>>
>>
File: 040.jpg (188 KB, 675x1000) Image search: [Google]
040.jpg
188 KB, 675x1000
>>
File: Mechanics.jpg (326 KB, 2048x768) Image search: [Google]
Mechanics.jpg
326 KB, 2048x768
>>2538165
>>
>>2540431
Looks like it's a Fireball artbook
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireball_%28anime%29
>>
>>
File: PC_BountyBot_02.jpg (246 KB, 1600x993) Image search: [Google]
PC_BountyBot_02.jpg
246 KB, 1600x993
>>
>>2538175
Watch this over and over.
https://svslearn.com/classDetail/-JkpLD7W94p5FzBLNLhF

Don't go too crazy on the engineering, you're trying to do viz dev not create blueprints.
After that definitely get some John Park Videos. Probably on his gumroad.
>>
>>2545062
Im poorfag
But I always liked Jake Parker works
>>
>>
buy some of these books and others that have nothing to do with drawing but everything to do with actual machinery
>>
>>2547477
I love those books just for the technical drawings
>>
It's good to look at military vehicles and artillery. They're purely made for function, not aesthetics. Go for the experimental designs more than the old ones because the latter is quite outdated. But they both help you get a grip on the function side of mechas. You can add aesthetics later.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.