[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Definition of Art
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Mona_Lisa_(copy,_Hermitage).jpg (262 KB, 1433x1920) Image search: [Google]
Mona_Lisa_(copy,_Hermitage).jpg
262 KB, 1433x1920
What is your definition of art?
>>
Spoiler alert: You will get 2 types of reponses:

>Everything is art and everyone is a special snowflake

>Art requires skill, effort and creativity

Honestly, who cares. Take a good look at any modern art museum, it doesn't really matter anymore and it really doesn't mean anything to be an 'artist' or create 'artwork' anymore. It's fine though, because hard work still pays off.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear 'art' is just people talking about art and trying to be really philosophical, useless mumbo jumbo like my post. We hear so many discussion about art itself or complicated art concepts, political and social issues in art, but no one is talking about practice, growth as an artist, mentorship, mastery and technique. Yeah I know, 'muh style, muh creativity, muh messsage' and the people putting in work are just 'mindless machines who don't get it'.

tl;dr: Art is vanity. Everyone loves to talk about it and pretend to be interested in it just to look smart. Anyone trying to clearly define it will trigger bunch of people claiming it's the opposite.
>>
>>2535457
worthless self-entertainment
>>
>>2535490
So is talent real or did those faggots just work way harder than I did?
>>
>>2535497
I don't really think the question if talent is real or not plays any role in the definition of art. In any case, working hard for what you are passionate about is essential, but I think people are mistaking curiosity as talent. As I said though, I don't think it matters for the definition of art.
>>
>>2535497
They worked HARDER and SMARTER than you did
>>
>>2535516
How does one work smart?
>>
>>2535457
some subjective shit that aesthetically pleases the spectator because reasons
>>
>>2535522
It begins by reading the sticky, following the instructions, trusting people with experience instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. For example drawing from the shoulder is a common good advice, yet many beginners refuse to follow it, because they aren't used to it and don't want to go through a month of even shittier drawings. Every beginner thinks he is some kind of creative genius by doing everything differently.
>>
Manga drawings.

I hate the hipster renaissance, impressionism, abstract expressionism, plebism type crap.

I just like manga drawings and hope to one day get good enough to move to Japan because I hate this stupid country.
>>
>>2535537
You better make it anon.
>>
In my opinion everything created with the purpose of being art is art, but that doesn't mean we can't have good and bad art.
>>
>>2535537
That's the spirit.
>>
>>2535525
>don't want to go through a month of even shittier drawings
Learning shoulder drawing in a month is optimistic. Maybe it's possible it you did nothing but lines full time.
>>
>>2535648
True, one month is the best case, but every beginner should go through it, because their drawings are shit anyways.
>>
>>2535537
>hope to one day get good enough to move to Japan because I hate this stupid country
but anon, there is an untapped market right here

why not open a manga shop where you leave? search for printed translated manga, sell it, and in your free time draw, and even sell your own manga when you feel you are good eough
>>
>>2535537
same. i mean, not even an american, but i hate your stupid country
>>
a feeling, or an urgency to place significant meaning, even if it can't be described, on an object
>>
Having an explanation would defeat the purpose
>>
>>2535721
thats a bad definition
that's called ocd anon
>>
>>2535927
what a garbage post. explain why art can't be defined as a concept and still retain value, which you cant.
>>
>>2535537
I feel you but I would like to get into the VN industry. Specifically dating/hentai games
I'm not at the artistic level yet to do work that I would be proud of but it's my dream to get there someday
I know the market for VNs has begun to grow significantly in the west and that lots of small indie companies are springing up that create ones entirely in english
>>
File: art.png (9 KB, 853x129) Image search: [Google]
art.png
9 KB, 853x129
my subjective opinion: Art is the order of aesthetics and beauty.
See pic.
>>
Art is one of the most abstract ideas humanity ever conceived.

I interpret art as everything that represents a feeling/emotion. But since LITERALLY everything can represent a feeling, it's a really dull definition.

But you may also interpret art as something that takes skill, time, and represents a feeling better than most things. But I wouldn't use "Art" to define it. I'd rather use another word.
>>
art is simply an ARTifact that communicates an idea or message to the viewer. thats why someone like anish kapoor shouldnt be considered an artist. hes simply a designer, and calling his works art is an insult to art,
>>
>art (n.)
>early 13c., "skill as a result of learning or practice," from Old French art (10c.), from Latin artem (nominative ars) "work of art; practical skill; a business, craft," from PIE *ar-ti- (source also of Sanskrit rtih "manner, mode;" Greek arti "just," artios "complete, suitable," artizein "to prepare;" Latin artus "joint;" Armenian arnam "make;" German art "manner, mode"), from root *ar- "fit together, join"
its original definition is the most useful one. much better than the current definition which is basically no definition.
>>
File: 1456959305910.jpg (1 MB, 2952x2048) Image search: [Google]
1456959305910.jpg
1 MB, 2952x2048
>>2535457
Art is an expression that transcends basic communication.

Language and math are forms of art, like invention, that have utilitarian use.

Music and visual arts give people the ability to invent abstract representations of their perceived existence.

Everyone is an artist in their own medium. Everything creative a person does of their own accord is art.

When you die you take your greatest masterpiece to the grave with you - your mind.

Many of the greats sought immortality through their creations, some achieved it.
>>
>>2535457
Art is communication, a language unto itself.

If you make art, you're trying to communicate an idea, emotion or feeling of some sort.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.