[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I keep my charcoal drawings without getting them all smudged
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 20160524_163647.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160524_163647.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
How do I keep my charcoal drawings without getting them all smudged and ruined?

Also, any tips on getting better at using this material?
>>
>>2534283
You can buy a fixative, it comes in a spray can and stops it from smudging. You only do it once the drawing is finished though.

Also stop using a spiral bound sketchbook. For something that can smudge use either loose sheets of paper or a bound sketchbook.
>>
File: 1429610700264.jpg (456 KB, 1032x1410) Image search: [Google]
1429610700264.jpg
456 KB, 1032x1410
>>2534283
all you need is hair spray, spray a coat onto the drawing in a well ventilated area, this acts as a very cheap fixative. get unperfumed as an entire sketchbook can be very pungent.
as for getting better having only seen that one drawing there are a few things you need to improve.
first is the contrast of shadow to light, its the easiest way to improve quickly is all about learning how light works and effects shape. secondly your proportions are fairly off so a refresher on anatomy could help, charcoal is all about shape and contrast. I would start with more general lines and get better from there, you seem to be trying to render too quickly.
one last tip is to use brown paper and white chalk with charcoal so you can better see highlights, midtones and shadow
>>
>>2534995

Does anyone know what artists use to get those nice clean looking whites?
I've tried both white gellyroll gel pens and prismacolor pencil crayons and both haven't gotten even close to that sort of result.
>>
>>2535009
normally chalk is used
>>
>>2535020
This. Or white gouache.
>>
>>2535009
>>2535009
Pretty sure it's gouache on that picture. A white pastel pencil, Conté or even an opaque enough color pencil (like Derwent Drawing) would do, though.
>>
>>2534995
Seconding the hair spray, especially if you're just starting. The stronger/more chemically smelling the better. Aqua net is my go to.
>>
>>2534283
drawings crap anyway anon.

You could spray a base over the entire section sealing it, I know a local artist who does realistic portaits for cash that says he does this and even draws over it again with more charcoal so he doesnt loose his progress, you need to use alot though so if you plan on drawing alot might aswell buy a ton of the stuff.
>>
Use a bound pad and a binder clip instead of a spiral pad. This minimizes page drift smudges.
Ideally fix then cover with wax paper if you need to transport.

Don't smudge, create values via hatching/building tone. This will improve planar definition and value control.
>>
If is newspaper: You dont!
If its archival thicc paper: Spray Fixative
>>
>>2534995
Is the drawing OC? The dress looks amazing!
>>
>>2534283
>>2534995
>>2535142

Pay the 7 bucks for fixative instead of using hair spray. If you really want your drawings last for years then use stuff that was actually made for that purpose. Hair spray is not archival at all and it doesn't spray fine and even enough.
>>
You can go the classic way: buy a bottle of Colophony Rasin solution and spray it with a pipette. I've done this for ages and it works fine. Plus it smells good and is probably less harmful than the chemicals in spray.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.