[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suh /ic So I've basically been wondering where do you guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: loomis.jpg (268 KB, 1000x1036) Image search: [Google]
loomis.jpg
268 KB, 1000x1036
Suh /ic

So I've basically been wondering where do you guys go to do commissions and what not. What kind of community and all would I have to get involved in to make some money on the side?

I believe I'm like intermediate-ish level and think I can scrape some commissions, especially when I look at the level of quality from some of the commissioned artwork I've seen.

Any help is appreciated, a complete newbie when it comes to finding work in this market.
>>
>get your own website
>get youtube channel, facebook and instagram page
>start networking with other artists
>start putting up art there regularly, like 2-3 pieces a week on instagram and maybe once a week on youtube, update facebook with instagram posts sometimes and use it to reach out to friends and family who can support you
>start building a reference list, so that people can see the quality of your commissions and what you have done art for in the past
>always link to your website and say that you do commissions
The bottom line is however that people won't buy your stuff if you can't draw. Commissions for random people is also a pretty shit way to make money on your drawings. They call the shots on what you're allowed and not allowed to draw and a lot of the times you have to draw something that fit their stupid fantasies.

You should get your own website, youtube channel, facebook and instagram page even if you're not looking for commissions. You should put your art out there anywayso that people can see it if you're confident in it. It might help you land something better than having to please people who don't know what they want in the first place.
>>
>>2530473

Thanks for the advice dude, I honestly expected fuck all advice and constant circle jerk.

Will a behance or artstation website do?

I've been meaning to get my twitter/instagram started, but the youtube one is interesting. I'm just trying to weight it up because video editing will take the piss and it seems like youtube is really difficult to grow a viewer base on.

When you say YouTube what do you exactly mean. As in youtube for making tutorials? Speed paints?
>>
>>2530598
For some reason, sharing your sketchbook and doing traditional painting videos always gets a ton of views
Digital speed painting videos aren't as popular unless it's something fantasy related. Like what you see concept artists do
It goes without saying that if you are a pretty girl (either naturally or by the miracle of makeup and exercise) that you'll stand out more
It's also important to put your personality out there in your videos as no talking speed painting videos are a dime a dozen
Lastly as the other anon said, networking is to your advantage. Interact with other artists whose work you admire and make friends
Good luck!
>>
Most of my commissions come through tumblr, but whenever I post a piece of fanart to the appropriate subreddit I get a good few emails asking for work. I know 4chan hates reddit but it's a completely unsaturated market, and people have much lower standards.
>>
>>2530727

what subreddits do you go on anon and reddit is miles better than 4chan no contest in that.

Right I guess I'll start checking my tumblr, also link your blogs I'll follow.
>>
>>2530612

Appreciate the help anon, im male and I'm interested in youtube but also really wondering the worth of something like that. I guess ill do my research and all but honestly I'd rather prefer using my time to get professional tier or higher. Been networking a lot, on facebook and other mediums.
>>
File: 1392399576211.png (117 KB, 448x539) Image search: [Google]
1392399576211.png
117 KB, 448x539
>>2530727
>people have much lower standards.
Does that mean they pay for sheckels too?
>>
File: watermarked.png (692 KB, 900x560) Image search: [Google]
watermarked.png
692 KB, 900x560
>>2531122
Lol my blog is badomens.co.vu

It really depends. Draw fanart of stuff you're actually interested in. I draw a screencap study of destiny and put it on /r/destinythegame. The commissions will probably be related to what you draw, so pick something you enjoy.

>>2532068
shekel is a currency you sperg
>>
Commissions =/= personal requests from Tumblr and forums. This is trash-tier work that pays terribly, and I have no idea why so many people here think they are worth chasing down.
>>
>>2532079

man your work triggers me
>>
>>2532081
$200 is a lot of money when you live in a 3rd world country, santi.
>>
>>2532088
I cant tell if this is good or bad

>>2532081
It doesn't pay terribly if you charge enough. I advertise when I want work, and charge a good amount. it's a decent enough source of income for a busy student.
>>
>>2532089
This is true. Point taken.
>>
>>2532091

no bueno.
>>
>>2532089
>santi
KEK
>>
>>2530598
>Will a behance or artstation website do?
Any website that you can navigate easily, that has your contact info and with an easy to remember domain is sufficient. And of course your art.

>When you say YouTube what do you exactly mean. As in youtube for making tutorials? Speed paints?
It can be anything you want, but it should have a purpose. If you want to redirect people to your website, it can be used as a way of fleshing out your online persona, if that makes any sense. You can have like speed paints and talk about how you solve certain problems in your art. It does require that you fully understand the concepts and make good art, because it can be harmful to new artists if they're given bad advice in early stages of development. But to start, I would suggest like speed painting videos and showcases.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.