[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ic/. I'm working on a project and figured i'd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 75393092098228.png (739 KB, 1212x604) Image search: [Google]
75393092098228.png
739 KB, 1212x604
Hey /ic/. I'm working on a project and figured i'd seek your advice, as I'm not the most artistically knowledgeable guy.

I need to take the photo of the coin on the left and convert it into a line drawing in the style of the image on the right. I'm just stumped as to how to go about doing it.

Figured there was some really simple technique or something I'm missing, that maybe you guys could enlighten me on.

thx in advance
>>
Trace over it in PS.

>tracing
>>
File: 0030380839833.png (86 KB, 533x506) Image search: [Google]
0030380839833.png
86 KB, 533x506
>>2531279
Oh, forgot to specify, I'm not looking to use the "cartoony" style of the face like on the right, but just the same technique of only lines, no real shading or anything.

pic related is another better example
>>
>>2531279
That photo looks a little skewed and the light is washing out some details on the top. I'd recommend taking a few more photographs with the camera stationary directly above the coin and a light source coming from different positions. Put the resulting photographs into Photoshop as separate layers (or GIMP if you prefer free software). Adjust brightness and contrast levels to make the details easier to see. Make a new layer for the linework and trace over the photo layers. Multiple photo layers is to give you strong silhouettes across the entire surface of the coin to make tracing the actual shapes easier.
>>
>>2531307
thanks for the great advice! unfortunately, i dont have a physical copy of the coin in question, only photos.
>>
>>2531344
Well in that case, I'd probably:
*scale up the photo up to twice the resolution I wanted my final lineart to be
*skew the photograph (with perspective/cage transform tools) until the inner rim was a perfect circle
*do my lineart on a new layer while playing around with the photo's levels
*put the lineart layer over a white background and scale it down to its final size

Bear in mind the second photo you posted has a lot of variation in line weight that give it that look.
>>
>>2531369
Awesome! I haven't used photoshop since high school, but I can't imagine its too hard to learn/re-learn how to do all that.

thanks a ton!
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.