[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Social Media Feedback Habits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
What are yours?

I personally can't stop obsessively refreshing/watching pages for new likes, comments, etc. every time I post up a new piece. I tend not to give a fuck about old pieces that have been up for a long time but when a fresh piece has been posted up I like to check if it got some kind of recognition (otherwise why post on social media?), but it gets uncontrollably obsessive.
>>
>>2526993
I don't know what I would do since I am not good enough to start posting on the web my work, but I would advice to find something to do before posting a drawing, to take your mind off feedback
>>
How many followers or likes/notes/etc are you getting?

I think this is common behavior for people starting out, or for their sites to start seeing growth.

You'll get over it eventually though, once you start having followers in the thousands. Instead of meticulously noting every engagement, you'll only look at your posts once or twice to see if it got an out-of-the-ordinary amount of engagement. You can expect hundreds of likes guaranteed once things that picking up, so you'll eventually stop obsessively refreshing and start focusing on the big picture instead.

Hope that helps!
>>
>>2527000
>How many followers or likes/notes/etc are you getting?
Just a couple per piece usually. Depends on the site a bit though. My most recent thing got something like 7 tumblr likes and one reblog. It was fanart though.

My all time high was 54 tumblr notes (170-something for the same piece submitted to a different page and credited to me), and 85 favorites+5 comments on a dA thing (which happened so randomly and just flooded in for something that was honestly shittier than some other pieces I had, so I didn't even keep track of the feedback on that one at the time).

I get what you mean about the followers in the thousands though. I somewhat can't even really imagine that. Do you even feel any sort of praise/recognition satisfaction from that, or does it just start to become numbers?
>>
>>2527011
> Do you even feel any sort of praise/recognition satisfaction from that

I have ~7500 followers on Tumblr. When I broke a thousand, I felt like everything was sort of falling into place and that this was going to contribute to me "making it". It's definitely nice to know that a bunch of people really enjoy your work. You might get fan mail, you might get a big fan who likes every post, and you might get a big ego boost.

That's all well and good, but I can't attribute any of my career success directly to my growth on Tumblr. For me, my following has been just okay at converting some Print-on-Demand sales, and funneling followers to my site of preference - Instagram (at about 3500 followers, who are MUCH more engaged).

7000 Tumblr followers isn't that much. It shouldn't be hard to image - your life won't be any different.
>>
>>2527017
Thing is I just do art as a side-thing, and might likely disappear for months due to school/work. Not only do I feel like with my current pace I can't get that many followers (which would also be purely for ego-related "people like my work! yay!" type stuff rather than any career help), but if I had that many I'd probably disappoint them with barely posting anyway.
>>
File: 1446734985472.jpg (108 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1446734985472.jpg
108 KB, 600x800
>caring about likes and upboats and asspats

Not. Gonna. Make it.
>>
>>2527126
Why post art if not to have your dick stroked?
>>
File: 7064444296e0405d988c2cebd39cf7fd.jpg (201 KB, 1152x1536) Image search: [Google]
7064444296e0405d988c2cebd39cf7fd.jpg
201 KB, 1152x1536
Do imageboards count as social media
Also
How many upvotes did that get
>>
>>2527176
Self expression, promote an idea, share your interpretation on a subject matter. If you honestly draw for the sake of getting views and likes and whatnot you seriously need to get your priorities straight.
>>
>>2527181
>Self expression, promote an idea, share your interpretation on a subject matter
>not caring about views at the same time

Alright, then put your work up on your own private corner of your room irl, or on a private Twitter with zero followers. Why even post stuff publicly on the internet then? A component of the stuff you mentioned is literally getting views.
>>
File: 1436962959187.png (76 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1436962959187.png
76 KB, 184x184
@ 2527179

I'm not giving you any (you)'s fuck off to reddit or something.
>>
>>2527184
As a matter of fact I do post privately with no tags and those who happen to stumble across on my work have just witnessed a rare sight as my emphasis here is not getting views I create art for the pleasure, a natural high, and as an opportunity to make a little extra capital if someone wishes to put their ideas on canvas.
>>
>>2527187
Oh, ok. Unless you're already insanely popular to the point of not needing tags, you're outside the norm.
>>
>>2527017
7k followers on Tumblr

What's your URL?
>>
>>2527221
Sorry - I've learned to never share any work on /ic/. It's not worth the occasional shit head repeatedly commenting a bunch offensive bullshit that my friends and family can see.
>>
File: 1446003192057.png (376 KB, 674x630) Image search: [Google]
1446003192057.png
376 KB, 674x630
>>2530695
We are a board of peace that promotes love, tolerance and understanding. We would never do such a thing honest and for truly.
>>
>>2530695
In 4 years of posting work here that's never happened to me. Do you post your art on Facebook or something? You can't even comment on tumblr.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.