[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /I/ have any tips/tutorials/advice/things you would of wanted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /i/ - Oekaki

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 640x633) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 640x633
Does /I/ have any tips/tutorials/advice/things you would of wanted someone to tell you when you were first starting ?
>>
File: CMaL1P1UwAAtsBw.jpg (42 KB, 599x580) Image search: [Google]
CMaL1P1UwAAtsBw.jpg
42 KB, 599x580
Picture pretty much sums it up for me. Mileage is everything.
>>
File: 72563l.jpg (69 KB, 306x450) Image search: [Google]
72563l.jpg
69 KB, 306x450
>>453168
My Two-Faced Little Sister
Himouto! Umaru-chan

EditSynopsis
Umaru is a renowned beautiful 16-year-old girl in town, living with her elder brother Taihei. She acts a perfect sister with a kind heart, intelligence and popularity, who everybody admires. So who would believe how true Umaru is at home? Sleeping, gaming, watching TV, eating junk food, drinking cola… that's almost all she does at home, leaving all the housework to her brother.

Her camouflage is so perfect that when one of her classmates visits her home by surprise and witnesses “true Umaru," she pretends as if she is Umaru's younger sister. Taihei is always swayed by Umaru's gap between ostensible face and spoiled life, but he cannot hate his comical and somehow lovable cute little sister!
>>
The "himōto" in the title is a portmanteau of himono (干物?, lit "dried fish", used to describe someone who puts up an appearance in public but acts lazily at home) and imōto (妹?, "little sister").
>>
File: sweet.png (604 KB, 947x528) Image search: [Google]
sweet.png
604 KB, 947x528
>>
what is happening?
>>
>>453168
>Picture pretty much sums it up for me. Mileage is everything.
what he said
>>
Draw all the time. Get a small sketchbook and take it with you everywhere. Draw all the time.
>>
>>453192
But how would I learn ?
>>
>>453296
Draw. Which is has to be done on a daily basis, train your arm and you'll get better
>>
>>453319
I get drawing but how would you learn if you just worked on drawing ?
>>
>>453320
depends on what you want to draw.
there's an internet out there, and mother google is always helpful enough to provide you with references.
there's no real secret to it, as long as you have the interest to keep going and improove.
>>
>>453320
>how would you learn if you just worked on drawing ?

Take a "freehand drawing" class at your local community college -- it's a matter of paying attention to what you're seeing, not making an assumption, you need to LOOK carefully at a scene and then render it on paper.

Perspective, light, shadows... highlights... real objects, non-cartoon objects, do not have a black line around themselves.

It really is a matter of practice.
>>
File: 1331.png (422 KB, 760x816) Image search: [Google]
1331.png
422 KB, 760x816
Draw fast, draw loose, get sloppy with it. The unconcious mind and muscle memory draw far better than the focused mind. Stop wasting nine + hours on a simple sketch and just cruise control it.
>>
>>453769
agreed. i also would suggest start by drawing thins around you whether it be objectss or people
>>
I'm completely self-taught, beyond the odd high school art class that told me things I already knew.

Honestly, what helped me the most is looking at photos of things I wanted to know how to draw and started drawing pieces of it. Anatomical diagrams helped too, especially for hard-to-draw things like hands and feet. Learning physiology (the way you use a certain body part) is just as important as learning anatomy.

You draw it, look at the photo, look back at your drawing. If it's not the same, try to find out why and keep erasing. Even to this day, ninety percent of my pencil/tablet pen strokes get erased. That's just how it's gonna be. Don't give up just because you have to keep erasing!

Look at artists you like. Don't try to emulate their style exactly but try to parse out WHAT you like about their style and try to incorporate it into your own stuff. Maybe you like how they use colors, or maybe you like the way they draw eyes. Inspiration is great!

As for tutorials, I really, REALLY love shingworks' tuts. They can be found here! http://shingworks.deviantart.com/gallery/53430455/Tutorials They don't tell you much outright, but they get you asking yourself the kinds of questions that are gonna help you grow as you learn to answer them.

It's so, so very easy to get discouraged when you feel like you're not 'there yet'. But don't give up! You'll never, ever be 'there yet' because as your ability is honed, you'll reach further and further.

You'll go far, lil anon, but only if you work for it.

Pic related: One of my most recent drawings, just so you know I'm not talking out my ass.
>>
>>453984
Ha, I keep forgetting I painted in a little red line to show someone where his horn got snapped off in an RP. Whoops.
>>
>>453324
YES! Google Image Search is my best friend.
>>
bump bc interest
>>
Check out the resource sticky on /ic/ and then never go back.
>>
>>458652
>and then never go back.

My sides
>>
File: 067.png (275 KB, 636x622) Image search: [Google]
067.png
275 KB, 636x622
>>453171
Pretty much this. ALTHOUGH, honestly studying/research + actually drawing can be beneficial.

Also, ermm, to not be concerned about the quality of sketches in a sketchbook too much. Let your art be pillars of the experience you have under your belt--all your knowledge, your confidence, your ideas--and let your sketchbook be a place free of judgment and fear. So long as you can still produce the quality of work you find acceptable, who cares that you make bad drawings once in a while? You shouldn't.

And finally, balance. Everything's a balancing act. Do you sketch 50 rough drawings or do you paint for hours on a drawing that you don't feel confident drawing? It's a balance. Do both. Don't feel bad if you don't get the immediate results. Every mistake is an opportunity to learn. I've never seen an artist not improve after a year of drawing pretty consistently and looking around themselves. Don't be embarrassed about putting up your not-so-good art if it actually is your best. People may someday look at your improvement as inspiration.

Don't ONLY use reference, and don't ONLY try to draw from memory and "totally be yourself!" Look around yourself, then look within, and repeat both. There is no absolute one answer. No rules that can be easily applied to every artist. And not even rules that can be immediately and clearly working for you.

And finally, if you really do care about your art, and you keep trying, you'll get better. Slowly, but surely.

(OH and also try to find a community for your art, not just a blog. much better experience)
>>
>>453168
First thing is first: decide if you want to dedicate your life, if you want to dedicate many hours, or if you just want to doodle. The first two would require some learned direction and the last anyone can do. (If you start early enough you may be lucky enough to teach yourself through repetitive artwork, in which many of the people in this thread are referring to) From here you want to get the basics of anatomy - how to draw the human body and proportions. You can learn this by looking up real human body pictures, but there are many anatomically correct tutorial books that break the body down into basic starter/reference shapes. That should be your starting point.

There are also books that break down animal bodies for a structural where to start for drawing. You will also want to use reference materials like pictures off of the internet or things sitting around you.

Work on anatomy first. Then work on perspective, next would be folds and hair, and finally work on lighting. How you know when to move on is when you are happy and comfortable with each step.

If you want to doodle, then enjoy yourself. It's fun to doodle.

Take your time on your art. Don't rush to finish. That's not the point of art.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.