[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Creating a /his/ Curriculum
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: fire emblem miriel.jpg (14 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
fire emblem miriel.jpg
14 KB, 210x240
So, /his/, I am trying to create a private study plan/curriculum for different areas of history and humanities I'm trying to learn more about. The problem is I have this bad habit of creating a list of too many books to read within a small period of time. There is also the added problem of knowing what is essential before moving to the next level.

Right now, I am thinking only in terms of a year. While I can read quite a bit when I am in the mood to do so, there is no way I could finish all the two hundred or so books I have listed into that time-frame and even if I could, I have other things I need to fit into my schedule. Plus, if there are several fields I am studying, I need to divide my time between them wisely.

Put simply, what I require is a method to a suitable process of elimination when it comes to determining what I should read and in what order.
>>
>>999724
idk but miriel is fucking hot
>>
File: Miriel_confession_2.jpg (58 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
Miriel_confession_2.jpg
58 KB, 400x240
>>1000749

she's a qt pi, I agree, but let's stick to the subject.
>>
>>999724
start with the greeks
>>
>>1001183
Too bad laurent is essentially an aspie.
>>
Usually I look at the more detailed and more influential works in a specific subject. Although I like more modern history books, when I start with a new subject I know little about, reading the 'main' book is what I usually do. It does require a bit of research though. How much and what subjects are you reading about?
>>
>>999724
I'd like something like this as well
A list of courses that would let you talk post in any thread on /his/ and be able to contribute in some way
History, Philosophy, Theology, Political Science, Classics, Law, Economics, maybe Linguistics, Art History and Debate
Basically what a 4 year degree might look like if you crammed the entire humanities department into one degree
The courses would be a list of reading material, with some notes on things to look out for and questions to think about
Homework would be shitposting on /his/
>>
A subject should being described in brief, at length, then with links to relevant literature for all levels of interest.
>>
File: miriel looking scholarly.jpg (21 KB, 260x341) Image search: [Google]
miriel looking scholarly.jpg
21 KB, 260x341
>>1001803

One field I was interested in creating a curriculum for was some form of Islamic Studies, but with an emphasis on the history, thought and civilization of minority Muslim groups that weren't part of the Sunni mainstream including branches of Shi'ism and Sufism as well as extinct sects like the Mutazilites and Ghulat.

Another field I was interested in creating a curriculum for, not just for my own academic curiosity but also possibly to help others with the same interest, was a "monarchist studies" curriculum that focuses less on huge works of history and more on works of political theory.

And the third I figured could either be Christian theology or "Comparative Art".
>>
/his/ philosophy should basically be first year reading list with a meme-ish focus.

So, lots of Plato, bit of Aristotle, Descartes Meditations, a grumpy protestant scotsman of your choice, Rousseau, Voltaire, Hobbes and Locke. Nietzche for meme points, plus another existentialist or post modern figure
>>
File: 1340492677833.png (541 KB, 2800x2100) Image search: [Google]
1340492677833.png
541 KB, 2800x2100
>>999724
/lit/ is better fit for this purpose, OP.
>>
>>1002451

/lit/ doesn't read books
>>
File: Start_with_the_greeks.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
Start_with_the_greeks.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
>>1000000
>>
For reference, here's /sci/'s site:
https://sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/

Also a list of /his/ recommended reading:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rq0gUUpoI1Xi_NKpt7iuUdU2xdQzbwSu-g2BzpG_JBc/edit?pref=2&pli=1
>>
>>1002485 here

Alternatively,

Just read Oxford's textbooks on Greece, Rome, and the Middle ages. Its $60 altogether on Amazon. Most colleges use those books for introductory classes.
>>
>>999724
Philosophy shit: (do in order)

Greeks:
Plato -> Aristotle (optional Stoics, Epicureans, Pyrrhonists, and Cynics)

Medieval:
Augustine -> Anselm -> Aquinas (optional Ockham, Luther, and Calvin)

Rationalists:
Descartes -> Spinoza-> Leibniz -> Voltaire (parody of Leibniz)

Empiricists:
Locke -> Berkeley -> Hume

Idealists:
Kant -> Fichte -> Schelling -> Hegel -> Feuerbach -> Marx

Lebensphilosophie:
Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, and Kierkegaard (any order)

After this, split into either analytic or continental stuff depending on interest but dont be irrational and stick to one side forever.

The list is obviously lacking in political philosophy so do add
>>
>>1002631
Machiavelli and Spinoza.
>>
>>1002631
>The list is obviously lacking in political philosophy so do add

De Maistre?
>>
This is what a university course catalog is for. Why are you trying to re-invent the wheel? Go find curricula for the areas of history and humanities you want to learn more about. You haven't exactly specified what problems you're interested in.
>>
>>1002657
>This is what a university course catalog is for.

I'm not opposed to using those a basis for a more personalized one focusing on more specific rather than general areas of interest.

>You haven't exactly specified what problems you're interested in.

>>1002339
>>
>>1002339
http://pastebin.com/u/jonstond2#
Bookzz.org or libgen to download books free
Oxford bibliographies has a whole section devoted to Islamic studies
>>
Start with the Finno-Korean Hyperwar and work from there.
>>
>>1002729
Honestly, you should use key words, and google .edu websites.

Examples
>islamic studies
https://divinity.uchicago.edu/islamic-studies

>political theory/monarchies
http://www3.dbu.edu/mitchell/earlymodernpolitictheory.htm
>>
File: ancient greece.png (414 KB, 555x402) Image search: [Google]
ancient greece.png
414 KB, 555x402
>>999724
Paradise Lost - Milton
Socratic Dialogues - Plato
Wasps - Aristophanes
Oedipus Cycle - Sophocles
The Divine Comedy - Dante

Personal book for fun - The Sinking of the Battleship Bismark.
>>
>>999724
On liberty
>>
File: miriel error.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
miriel error.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>1003449

My main problem is not what are some good books related to the subject. I guess I'm asking more how a professor who is teaching a class at a university develops a successful curriculum so that I can develop a private one concerning the specific fields I'm interested in.

One unfortunate problem I often have is that I can read too many books I don't necessarily have to read if all I require a basic understanding on the one hand and on the other hand, I often don't read books in a proper succession from lower level to higher level.

There's also the added problem of coming up with exercises to make sure I absorb the knowledge and organize it.

It might also be fun for /his/ to do as a group activities to improve board quality besides just dumping rec lists.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.