[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A man's cat is running around the house without being watched.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: thinking.jpg (9 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
thinking.jpg
9 KB, 300x300
A man's cat is running around the house without being watched. Another man leaves his drink on the edge of a table. The cat knocks it off. Using this information alone, who is liable to clean up the spill?
>>
The cat. Get licking.
>>
>>999683
Can't say.

Help me out: did the second man know of the cat?
>>
>>999683
Nobody just leave it there
>>
If the cat is the man's responsibility, then he must be held accountable for the cat's misstep, even if the other man increased the odds of said misstep occurring by leaving the water at the edge of the table.
>>
The drink was never there.
>>
>>999683
Both people in unison since they should seek to do good no matter who was "at fault."
>>
>>999765

This desu. Like my third grade teacher always used to say, "don't fix the blame, fix the mistake."
>>
>>999683
The owner of the house obviously. What kind of scum makes his guests clean up after his ill-mannered cat knocked over their drink?
>>
>>999683
Whoever is available at the time to just clean it up.

Don't be a bitch and just remove the problem ASAP
>>
>>999683
A reasonably prudent person would not leave a drink on the edge of a table.

Additionally, since it was his drink, and he was closest to it, he had the responsibility to ensure that nothing came near his drink that could spill it.

Therefore, it is the man whose drink it is to clean the spill.
>>
>>999683

Cats aren't able to clean up spills.
>>
>>999683
If the second man knew of the cat, I'd say he should.
Otherwise, the first man should take responsibility.
>>
>>999836
>If the second man knew of the cat, I'd say he should.
Something like 70% of homes have either cats or dogs.

You should assume there's a creature running around a house that can knock over liquids placed on ledges.

It's the second man's fault.
>>
>>999683
>who is liable to clean up the spill?

Obviously the answer to this question is whoever is able to. A better question would be who should pay for monetary damages.
>>
>>999683

Under what system of laws/ethics?

If we're talking U.S. law, primary responsibility would be the homeowner to safeguard his property. You might have some secondary liability to the cat owner (which in this case is the same person as the homeowner).

The man leaving his drink hasn't established any negligence or anything, so would have no liability.
>>
The cat? How is this even a question?
>>
You can put the blame for the spill both on the cat and the man who left the drink near the edge of the table, but the only one liable to clean the spill is the home and cat's owner.
>>
>who is liable to clean up the spill?
In a practical sense, whoever needs it clean the most, or whoever can be substantially convinced (i.e., manipulated to think) that they should clean it by someone who needs the place to be clean.

Cleanness is a spook, stuff only needs to be as clean as people personally want it to be.
>>
>>1000483
You really should shower more than once a month anon
>>
>>1000499
I shower every day, but only because I feel a personal need to do so. I am not seeking a vague concept of cleanliness, just my own comfort.
>>
>>999855
>>999836
>>999819
>>999716

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contributory_negligence
>>
File: catbin.jpg (108 KB, 1024x807) Image search: [Google]
catbin.jpg
108 KB, 1024x807
>>1000534
Cats cannot be negligent.
Cats cannot commit torts.
Cats do not understand the duty of reasonable care.
Stop this at once
>>
>>1000539

We're talking about the two men you dolt. Specifically the cat owner and the cup-man.

People have been found liable for acts committed by their children- much less their cat.

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/animal-law/liability-for-animals.htm
>>
>>999683

The owner of the house
>>
>>1000534

Citing contributory negligence isn't very informative...to people that aren't practicing lawyers, or law students.
>>
The water damage caused by the cup's contents seeping into the floor outweighs the second man's inconvenience of losing his drink.
Because the owner is the more aggrieved party, the second man should clean it up.
>>
>>1000534
You would have to argue that setting the drink down is negligent, which is a bit of a stretch.

Not to mention that we haven't reached a negligence analysis at all, and even should we get there, you have the problem that contributory negligence has been replaced with some form of comparative negligence everywhere I'm aware of.
>>
>>1000553
That's because you can teach a child not to do things.
Have you ever tried to teach something to a cat?
>>
>>1000561
Plot twist: his drink was a cask of Yamazaki 35 year
>>
>>999683
Cats are a wild animal so it was the cat's responsibility.
>>
>>999683

The wife.
>>
>>999683
well the man cannot control his cat so he has no responsibility over what it does. so the man whos drink is spilled should clean it because he was careless with his drink
>>
>>999683
Cats are at fault of everything, we just forgive them because they're cute.
>>
>>999683

the cat. Good luck getting him to do it, tho, cats are born evil and they never regret anything.
>>
>>999683
The owner of the cat is responsible and the cat is guilty. The owner should punish the cat and clean up the spill.
>>
>>999683
The man who left the drink should clean the mess using the cat.
>>
>>1000623
>well the man cannot control his cat so he has no responsibility over what it does

That's.... not how it works.

>but officer, I lost control of my car, so I can't be held responsible for those kids and nuns it ran over!
>>
The man who put it on the edge of the table knowing the cat was running around is responsible for the spill, but it is the host's duty to clean up the mess for his guest. The guest should grab the paper towels and the trashcan and apologize though.
>>
>>1000737
>but officer, I lost control of my car, so I can't be held responsible for those kids and nuns it ran over!
That's exactly how it should work if he "lost control of his car" due to something that was outside of his control.

Like a mechanical imperfection despite keeping up to date with mechanical check ups.

Besides, cats are always beyond your control, unlike cars which only leave your control by accidents or negligence.
>>
>>1000778

If you claim ownership of an animal, you own its misdeeds as well. If a child commits a crime, his parent pays the fine because even tho he can't control his child 100%, he has placed himself in a position of stewardship which includes protecting the child from the legal consequences of it's actions.
>>
>>999683
the mexican lady
>>
The cat.

And no, were gonna use the cat as a sponge.
>>
>>999775
>you got me pregnant
>b-but i've never had sex!
>yeah, we'll you're still fixing this
and that's how I came to care for my wife's son
>>
>>1000794
Of course not. You don't get prison time because your wife's son decides to go on a school shootout.

Cats are even more uncontrollable than humans.
>>
>>1001870
in that case fixing the mistake means pushing her down the stairs, not taking care of the kid
>>
>>1000737
That's not even remotely related, because to lose control of a car, you have to have initiated its movement. You started driving it, so you're obliged to control it.

Also, for any case where the driver legitimately loses control, i.e. he is physically incapable to drive the vehicle, then it isn't his fault. If a driver has a heart attack and crashes, he isn't charged with reckless driving.

A cat is an autonomous entity that can't be controlled by a person.
>>
>>1002819
>in that case fixing the mistake means pushing her down the stairs
But that not only might not kill her, but would also land me in jail.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.