[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ethiopia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: Jonas, Battle of Adwa.jpg (376 KB, 930x1398) Image search: [Google]
Jonas, Battle of Adwa.jpg
376 KB, 930x1398
Why was Ethiopia the only country that escaped colonization?
>>
>>999246
No one wanted to steal their shitty art
>>
They have a +20% combat bonus when fighting units from a country with more cities than Ethiopia
>>
Ethiopia was a country that practiced Colonialism and shared religion with the colonial powers. It's alliances with Portugal and Russia helped a lot when it came to getting modern arms.
>>
>>999246
Because spaghetti niggers can't colonize worth a damn.
>resort to gassing them after getting BTFO
>>
>>999246
It was a relatively developed state able to put up something of a concentrated effort in its defence.

The Italians expected them to roll over like the other primitives, so they got stomped.
>>
It wasn't.

Thailand is the only country that escaped colonization.

ALL of Africa was colonized. Ethiopia for a decade or so, but most of it for a century or so.
>>
Had lots of help - it was just around the time that fascism was on the rise. Everyone wanted to see the little guy win.
>>
>>999281

Do you have a source?
>>
>>999287

Anyone can look this stuff up. If you have a web browser, you have a search engine.

Or I can type out the wikipedia pages for you, if you aren't bothered searching for it.
>>
>>999246
Because they're Christian and white
>>
>>999281

Thailand was also colonized. It was occupied by the Japanese during World War II. The fighting only lasted for a few hours until Thailand asked for a ceasfire, allied with Japan and declared war on the Allied powers.

Besides, Thailand had previously ceded much of its territory to Western powers over time:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/Siam_territoral_losses.gif/220px-Siam_territoral_losses.gif

And they had also lost a war to France where they put up little fighting, too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco%E2%80%93Siamese_War

Matrilocal cultures like Thailand are totally inept at war. Their men lack any cohesion, morale and solidarity to fight.
>>
>>999281

The Japanese invasion of Thailand:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasion_of_Thailand
>>
>>999308
So Iran confirmed for being the only country not to be colonized?
>>
>>999314
Well,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Soviet_invasion_of_Iran
>>
It didn't. It was conquered by the Italians in 1936.
>>
File: conqueredbychristians.png (261 KB, 1271x845) Image search: [Google]
conqueredbychristians.png
261 KB, 1271x845
>>999308

It was allied with the Japanese during World War 2.

Ceding territory is not the same as being forced into unequal treaties, or being colonized outright.

Nobody had a perfect score, Europeans really did invade every part of planet Earth, but Thailand did best; followed by Japan, China, and Iran.

Image related is not complete, but it's the best one I have access to right away.
>>
>>999314
Greeks, Arabs and Turks
>>
>>999327
Shouldn't "partial European control" go to Japan as well due to those Islands the Soviets took?
>>
>>999329

The three groups that were in charge of the Ottoman Empire?

Greece the country was under the Ottoman thumb until the nineteenth century (though like I say, the Balkans were in many ways the seat of Ottoman power).

And the Arabs were colonized by France and Britain after World War One.

>>999339

Yes. Like I said, it's not complete, just the best one I have on this computer.

I suppose I could trawl an image search engine, but I am not bothered.
>>
>>999291

Sure. Why not post the links? I haven't found anything supporting what you're claiming.
>>
>>999370

I can post the link to wikipedia, or find a link through google that you could find just as easily.

Which claim do you think is dubious? That Africa was colonized, or that Thailand was not?
>>
>>999370

>he wants links for general knowledge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Thailand

You are simple, aren't you?
>>
>>999359
Greeks cucked Persia

Arabs cucked Persia

Turks cucked Persia

Mongols cucked Persia
>>
>>999375
Here's what you said.
>>999281
>ALL of Africa was colonized. Ethiopia for a decade or so, but most of it for a century or so.

I asked if you have a source. There's nothing which shows that Ethiopia was colonized for 10 years. I mean, if what you say is true, why are you making me jump through hoops?
>>
>>999397

Ethiopia was conquered by the Italians in 1936, who ruled the country for... okay not ten years, but it was in the process of being incorporated into the Italian imperial system. So it was a colony, just not for very long.

>jump through hoops

We both have search engines. You're asking me to tell you what terms to search for?
>>
>>999314

Well, of course plenty of patrilocal, patrilineal societies -societes centered on men- have been defeated and colonized, especially if their technology was much inferior, but it's also evident to me that the morale, cohesion and solidarity among men -who fight most of the wars- is generally greater in patrilocal than in matrilocal cultures.

Those matrilocal cultures of southeastern Asia often inaccurately described as "matriarchal". like Malaysia, Burma, Thailand, Cambodia Java, etc., couldn't put up much of a resistance to foreign invasions. Most didn't even try.

Afghanistan, for example, even managed to defeat the Birtish during the age of colonization. I can hardly imagine Thais, Malays, Khmers or Javanese winning the Anglo-Afghan War, sincerely.
>>
>>999412
That's not what colonialism implies. Colonialism implies controlling the country and its resources - not being at war with it. You're a liar, and I'm done with you.

Here's what the evidence shows.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Italo-Ethiopian_War#cite_note-Sbacchi37-2
https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/selassie.htm
>>
>>999435

Italy controlled Ethiopia after they conquered it.
>>
>>999327

It wasn't allied to the Japanese, it was forced to ally with the Japanese after waging a war that only lasted hours because Thais were faring so badly that they had to ask for a ceasefire very quickly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasion_of_Thailand

Honestly, I don think that puting Thailand as an example of military prowess is very accurate.
>>
>>999435

You know the Italians controlled and colonised Ethiopia after 1936 right? This is pretty common knowledge.
>>
>>999467
>Honestly, I don think that puting Thailand as an example of military prowess is very accurate.

I never said they were an example of military prowess, just the only country not to be colonized (apart from Japan, arguably China, arguably Iran).
>>
>>999479

Yes, in that case I agree with you. :)

Japan, Thailand and Iran weren't colonized, though all these countries had to make many concessions. Japan was the country that fared best against Europeans.

I think Japanese feudalism aided Japan in its resistance and development. One of the reasons that other Asian countries couldn't develop was nepotism and its associated phenomena of favoritism and corruption, but in Japan loyalty to a lord was more important than kinship ties. In my opinion, this paved the way to the Japanese nationalism that the Meiji Revolution heralded. All Japanese had a common national prupose beyond family ties, and this favored mdoernization.

But of course, some would ask: then, why did Malaysia or the Asian Dragons develop so quickly after World War II, if they were nepotistic countries, countries with strong kinship ties? I think there are no easy answers.
>>
>>999246
Look at a topographic map of the area.
>>
>>999275
Lots of Africa states put a big effort in defending themselves or rebelling. Just so happens that Italy is really incompetent and Ethiopia had the bonus of being more connected
>>
>>999246

They had relatively good relations with France, who sold them a load of modern rifles, and they had some artillery as well. I'm sure I don't need to tell you how shit the Italian army was.

So basically, the Italians were hugely outnumbered, on enemy soil, and didn't actually have a real tech advantage like most Europeans had with wars in Africa.
>>
I'm sick of this Italy bashing.

Italy had a great army for 1930's combat, I'd have given them decent odds if they had fought a similarly sized British force somewhere in the colonies. Ethiopia is just a tough nut to crack, because of terrain, and because they had access to better weapons. Yes, their army was mostly spearmen, but they also had modern rifles and artillery (not as good as Italian ones).

Their problem is they modernized too soon, so they went into the war with a 1930's army that was accustomed to fighting 1850's armies (that's the best you can say about Ethiopia's army); they faced the British and Americans, who were building 1940's armies.
>>
>>999246
Because they had an actual centralized government that wasn't involved in the Triangle Trade and therefore didn't collapse when Europeans stopped selling guns for slaves.
>>
>>999718
lol they took one of the worst routes to enter Ethiopia despite having native subjects who could tell them the better path.
>>
>>999253
Kek
>>
>>999737

... true.

Italian leadership did sort of suck, but then that's what a fascist government gives you to work with. Generals are chosen politically, not based on merit, in those states.

You can't really indict the Italian soldiers for fighting the war with ten year old equipment, they were preparing for a war to happen sooner than it did, and they jumped the gun in entering the war before re-modernizing.
>>
>>999246
They bought guns from the Russians. So it was really because they integrated themselves into the modern world, instead of rejecting it.
>>
>>999762

If you look at one of the best examples of a country avoiding colonization, the Japanese are the best. They didn't blunder into modernization, it only took the Black Ships arriving to kick them into high gear.

They accomplished it by inviting in advisers from many different western countries; British helped them with their navy, Germany with their army, and a few others I don't remember.

Thailand was playing British against French more directly to remain independent (presenting themselves as a buffer state between Burma and French Indochina). Japan was playing them both by inviting them in with the promise of profits, not realpolitik (though they did have something of an alliance with Britain).

And I sort of believe the rumors that the Japanese sent out tens of thousands of immigrants and tourists to spy on the west. Makes sense to me, and they could get 90% of the useful information without breaking a single law, so...
>>
>>999756
Fascism wasn't a thing during the first attempt on Ethiopia.

Hell Italians rightfully complained on why the fuck they got a useless colony in some part of the world they don't even know.
One thing commonly said was "how can we manage a colony when our country has massive regions that are in dire straits and suffering heavily to the point we have mass migration)?

The loss to Ethiopia put a big hole in their colonial ambitions and only until the Fascist years did Eritrea gain any attention and even then it was restricted to a handful of areas like every other colony and huge mismanagement.
>>
>>999828
That colony being Eritrea mentioned in the second part.
>>
>>999446
>>999468
Italians occupied Ethiopia militarily. They didn't govern it, or introduce their culture or language, or administrate it.
>>
File: typical italian.jpg (51 KB, 424x451) Image search: [Google]
typical italian.jpg
51 KB, 424x451
>During the 1936–1941 Italian occupation, atrocities also occurred; in the February 1937 Yekatit 12 massacres as many as 30,000 Ethiopians may have been killed and many more imprisoned as a reprisal for the attempted assassination of Viceroy Rodolfo Graziani.

>Thousands of Ethiopians died in concentration camps such as Danane and Nocra.

>The initially successful Ethiopian offensive was eventually stopped due to the superiority in modern weapons like mustard gas. The Ethiopians were very poorly armed, with few machine guns, their troops mainly armed with swords and spears.

>The Italian Air Force attacked and bombed a field hospital run by the Swedish Red Cross – a war crime in itself. Count Carl Gustaf von Rosen served as an ambulance pilot and he later recounted that the hospital was marked with Red Crosses, which the Italians denied. He also confirmed that mustard gas was used. The Swedish Red Cross secured photographic evidence of Ethiopian civilians with damages from mustard gas.

>The Italians attempted to justify their use of chemical weapons by citing the exception to the Geneva Protocol restrictions that referenced acceptable use for reprisal against illegal acts of war. They stated that the Ethiopians had tortured or killed their prisoners and wounded soldiers, for which there was no evidence

>During a massacre of Ethiopian Orthodox Christian Monks, the Italian carabinieri had fired into the crowds of beggars and poor assembled for the distribution of alms; and it is said that the Federal Secretary, Guido Cortese, even fired his revolver into the group of Ethiopian diplomats standing around him." Hours later, Cortese gave the fatal order: “Comrades, today is the day when we should show our devotion to our Viceroy by reacting and destroying the Ethiopians for three days. For three days I give you carte blanche to destroy and kill and do what you want to the Ethiopians."

Shitaly, not even once.
>>
>>999314
nah that's Turkey
>>
>>999828

We aren't talking about the first attempt to invade Ethiopia.

>>999835

The first part of colonizing it. Are you assuming they were about to leave, but World War Two interrupted them?
>>
>>999320
We're talking about colonization, not invasion
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.