[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bloody foreigners, they come here and take our land and pollute
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 05bayeux.jpg (151 KB, 1132x770) Image search: [Google]
05bayeux.jpg
151 KB, 1132x770
Bloody foreigners, they come here and take our land and pollute our language. Why kick we not them all out?

I walked near some bairns in the morning and they said things in that 'imperfect' tense they use, and they used not case!

What think you would have happened to English if the Normans had lost?
>>
It would've stayed autistic gibberish similar to modern Nordic languages
>>
England would stay an irrelevant shithole in the backwater of Europe, instead of becoming a superpower thanks to the superior Norman and Angevin leadership.
>>
>>998935
That would be better than having Sharia zones, surely?
>>
I guess nothing. What did the normans contribute, really? I slept through the English parts in hisrtory.
>>
>>998959
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_English

>During the Middle English period many Old English grammatical features were simplified or disappeared. This includes the reduction (and eventual elimination) of most grammatical cases, and the simplification of noun, adjective and verb inflection. Middle English also saw a mass adoption of Norman French vocabulary, especially in areas such as politics, law, the arts, religion and other courtly language.
>>
File: 236_w_full.jpg (294 KB, 848x627) Image search: [Google]
236_w_full.jpg
294 KB, 848x627
I agree. Why don't dirty spaniard european stayed with their deseases in europe and let the clean native american people alone?
>>
>>999047
Are you a Native American?
>>
Scotland might have got the upper hand in the politics between the two countries, since Malcolm III and David I were such Normaboos
>>
>>998919
This post triggered my autism hard.

Cases were lost to phonetic attrition. English's system of perfect and progressive forms are from the 16th century. Neither had anything to do with the Normans.
>>
>>999172
Ah, but Mr Autism-Hard, do you not concede that English might well have taken a different path without Norman influence? Perhaps it would still have lost cases, and gained more verb forms, but they may have been different to what we see today as a result of Harold Godwinson's error.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.