[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the actual justification for this man being celebrated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: MTE5NTU2MzE2MTg4NzM5MDgz.jpg (92 KB, 620x794) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NTU2MzE2MTg4NzM5MDgz.jpg
92 KB, 620x794
What is the actual justification for this man being celebrated with a holiday? I get wanting to teach Americans a narrative that painted the nation's history in a mostly positive light, but why base the story on an actual piece of shit? Couldn't we have just made up a guy and say he discovered America? Not this murderous psychopath?
>>
>piece of shit

How come only SJWs use this expression?
>>
>>997626
>SJWs
Haven't been here in a while, has /pol/ officially taken over
>>
>>997630
>only /pol/ hates SJWs
>>
>>997619
>can we make up history because people feel bad
no
kill yourself.
>>
>>997619

You already made this same bait thread before.
If you wanna make your own holyday make it, but dont cry if people does not follow your shit.
>>
>>997626
So you're saying only SJWs are opposed to slavery?
>>
>>997642
He didn't discover America either retard. I thought that went without saying.
>>
>>997644
Nah, I'm talking about the term "piece of shit". A non-SJW almost never uses it but the likes of Deadspin and Gawker are constantly riddled with it.
>>
>>997659
I don't read either of those but apparently you do?

You may be a dumbass.
>>
>>997619
He was a piece of shit yeah, not just by modern standards but by standards of the day. The fact that the Spanish crown thought he was running the colony like a tyrant is a pretty good indication he was one.

That said he did discover American more or less.
>>
>>997630
liberal democrat here....SJWs are a fucking plague.
>>
>>997675
He literally, in no way discovered America.
>>
By modern standards, every historical figure that played a part in founding any current nation is a total butcher shitlord asshole.

This kind of weird revisionism just distances people from their history and creates really selective taboos that don't really make sense. If some post communist country wants to make a statement by pulling down a statue of Lenin or Stalin to mark a new era, fine, but why go through history half-assed campaign at a time attacking historical figures on shit nobody cared about at the time?
>>
>>997655
please point out where I said that?
>>
>>997684
An actual answer by someone who isn't diagnosed with autism, thank you.
>>
>>997619
>What is the actual justification for this man being celebrated with a holiday?

Italian American integration.
>>
>>997682
He opened up European expansion in the Americas, which was a pretty big deal senpai.
>>
>>997682
He discovered America for the rest of the civilized world, whereas Leif Ericsson was a cuck who kept it to himself
>>
>>997691

This.

There was actually some controversy at first, not because of how much of a dickhead Columbus was, but because other Americans didn't like an Italian guy getting a holiday because this is American damnit.

And people don't want to change it now because a lot of Italian Americans and reactionaries would chimp out.
>>
It is pretty rediculous that we have a holiday celebrating a man who was imprisoned and was so fucking stupid he claimed he didn't discover America?

Shouldn't credit for discovering America go to the guy who figured out this wasn't Japan?
>>
>>997682
See the; More or less bit.
>>
>>997712
>Reactionaries
>>
>>997682
He discovered it in any way that really matters for the rest of the world.
>>
>>997682
He discovered it for the Europeans.

The pussy ass vikings got driven out by fucking Eskimos.
>>
>>997619
Yes. You do realize his discovery literally changed the whole fucking world and facilitated the creation of a new ethnicity?
>>
>>997619
Literally did nothing wrong.
>>
>>1000648
This. Whiny SJWs need to open a history book sometime and find their way back to Tumblr where they belong.
>>
>>997619
Because it takes balls of steel to sail Spain's three shittiest ships west and hope you run into something worthwhile.
>>
File: injun.png (450 KB, 284x656) Image search: [Google]
injun.png
450 KB, 284x656
>that feel when no squaw pussy to rape after a long day of killing their men with your magic boom stick
>>
>>997684
Thank god there are still some rational people out there.
>>
>>997626
>only SJWs say "piece of shit"
maybe you need to lay off the internet for a while
>>
>>997630
>no opinion that agrees with /pol/ can exist on any other board
>>
>>997684
>but why go through history half-assed campaign at a time attacking historical figures on shit nobody cared about at the time?

Christopher Colombus wasn't exactly well liked during his own time; any criticism of him and his so-called achievements is well deserved.
>>
>>997691
>>997691
>>997712
>>997772
Reminds me of this.
https://youtu.be/O4xIjWgBEMU
>>
>>1004568
Anyone who get the one where someone says "I came, I saw, forgive me"?
It's about US Indians, think the ones saying it are wampires.
>>
>>1000648
>>1001347
>Genocided
>Enslaved
>Raped
>Probably a ton of other fucked up shit
>was jailed by Spanish Crown due to his repulsive actions
>Did nothing wrong
>>
>>997626
>piece of shit is an SJW expression

I would have thought it would be more of an /n/ and /o/ expression.
>>
>>1000648
>>1001347
Even the Queen of Spain condemned his actions and cruelty. He was a total dickhead who jewed his crewmate out of the whole "a bag of silver for the first man who spots land" shit.

If anyone else besides him did everyone would have been better off.
>>
>>1004682
>his crewmate
would have been cool if he got the credit, though I suppose he only saw land and even if Columbus was a massive dick it was still he who ensured the meaningful connection to the rest of the world to the americas
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
17 KB, 480x360
it's a sopranos columbus day episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbbMIg-Aw8E
>>
>>1004616
The good he did outweighs the bad, though, a lot. In the end nobody would care about some faggot Caribbean Indians if they survived.
>>
File: 8676469.png (67 KB, 480x258) Image search: [Google]
8676469.png
67 KB, 480x258
>moral judgement
>>
These threads are the reason /his/ is shit.
>>
>>1004838
>The good he did outweighs the bad, though, a lot.

What good did he do?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.