[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to talk about Ireland, /his/. Was the Battle of Clontarf
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: eire.jpg (532 KB, 1600x2200) Image search: [Google]
eire.jpg
532 KB, 1600x2200
I want to talk about Ireland, /his/.

Was the Battle of Clontarf really what removed vikings, or was the Battle of Tara a more key conflict? I feel like Brian Boru is overhyped.
>>
>>997414
>irish history in green text
>lol we're free
>oh fuk is dat dem anglo-saxons
>please stop raping us
>please it's been a few hundred years of rape please stop
>fuck sake we're hungry and full of cum
>>
By the late 10th century they had lost most of their power and autonomy and from then on they just gradually assimilated into the Irish population, but they weren't 'removed' until the 1170s when the Normans took over.
>>
File: celtocucks.png (2 MB, 1790x881) Image search: [Google]
celtocucks.png
2 MB, 1790x881
>>
>>997414
>Was the Battle of Clontarf really what removed vikings
Shattering viking power =/= removing them. They just assimilated into Irish culture.

Also, Brian Boru is overhyped as fuck, I don't know why some people say Ireland would have been united had he survived, his kingdom would still go to shit after his death.
>>
>>997591
I like Brian's story, and how he essentially travelled around uniting people under how based of a leader and warrior he was, but the idea of him being some fated ruler seems a little off.

Cool story? Sure. Most important leader in Irish history? Nah.
>>
>>997440

>Anglosaxons
>>
>>997591
>>997631
A lot of the fluff about Brian Boru comes from the Ua Briain dynasty's attempts to big him up after he died. Especially Muirchertach Ua Briain, who was trying to seem like a legitimate sovereign of Ireland.

In a sense it was DAS RITE MANE WE WUZ HIGH KINGZ N SHIET

Don't get me wrong, Brian Boru was still a very capable commander and a good King but he wasn't the 'Augustus of the North' like his descendants liked to say he was.
>>
File: UNDEFEATED.jpg (49 KB, 800x665) Image search: [Google]
UNDEFEATED.jpg
49 KB, 800x665
Brian Boru was in the IRA.
>>
Irish wombs were MADE for germanic sperm
>>
>>997414
IRA did literally nothing wrong.
>>
>>999772
nigga Ireland wasn't even a republic then

>>999752
Yeah. He has a cool "fuck all of you I'm doing this king shit now" tale but other than that I'd be interested to see what wee Máel Sechnaill would have got up to as High King.

>>999934
>implying
The IRA originally was supposed to protect the very oppressed nationalist/irish/catholic population of Northern Ireland, but approximately 5 milliseconds into the Troubles they descended into Detroit-tier gangs, on the same level as the fucking Loyalist paras.

They were competent thugs, but thugs all the same.
>>
File: narrowwater.jpg (57 KB, 465x582) Image search: [Google]
narrowwater.jpg
57 KB, 465x582
>>1000175
>>999776
>>997506
>>997440
and it looks like the AIDF is already shitting up the thread
>>
>>1000201
>tripfagging on /his/

What the fuck are you doing.
Also, I'm OP.
This >>1000175 is me. Muh IRA shitposters are the ones who ruin Ireland threads.
>>
>>1000175
>nigga Ireland wasn't even a republic then
Of course because the IRA wasn't invented by Brian Boru yet.
>>
File: 1458010762788.jpg (117 KB, 640x457) Image search: [Google]
1458010762788.jpg
117 KB, 640x457
>>1000205
IRA funposting is what makes Ireland threads good.

Serious discussion and touchy britbongs need to get out.
>>
potatoes.jpg
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.