[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>being so fucking petty you use BCE & CE instead of BC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 26
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 534x275) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 534x275
>being so fucking petty you use BCE & CE instead of BC & AD

Fucking cultureless athiest
>>
>>996706
I think changing the dating system is fine (I don't have anything against the current one though) but I think BCE and CE are really stupid. What's the point of changing the letters when the date is still based on the Bible?
>>
>>996706
>History is Christian.
Lyl.

Personally I don't care if cunts use either dating names. Its just arbitrary shit that keeps us from using fuckhuge numbers at the end of the day.
>>
File: desubait.png (3 KB, 252x256) Image search: [Google]
desubait.png
3 KB, 252x256
>>996706
>>
File: db3.jpg (63 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
db3.jpg
63 KB, 400x300
The focal point should be changed to something around the earliest recorded date.
And while they're at it replace the Gregorian calendar with one modeled on a slightly more accurate calendar such as the Bulgar or Solar Hijri calendar.
>>
>being so butthurt by secularism or that not everyone buys or cares about your bullshit that you get offended every time you see BCE or CE
fucking thin-skinned theist.
>>
>>996706
>history is a christian domain only
>people who conform to modern academic standards have no culture
That's like getting mad at an English man for forsaking Fahrenheit in favor of Celsius. I don't get mad at people who still use BC/AD but the standard has been changed, get used to it.

why are theists so butthurt?
>>
>>996706
We name some of our weekdays after norse gods and some of our months after the roman ones, I see no point in changing how we name time
>>
>>996716
I can't say this for sure, but my take on it is that BCE/CE refers to the universality of it, not it's historical basis.

Think about it. Literally every county on earth uses it, regardless of cultural or religious background. Yes, some countries might use other secondary systems, but if you could go up to any person on the street from one of these countries and ask them "Is the year 2016?" and they'd say "yes."

Before our modern, global world, other calendars still existed. The Chinese used their own one which has a few thousand years more. The Muslims used one dating back to the founding of Islam. The Aboriginals probably didn't even have one. But then, thanks to the colonialisation, the industrial revolution, and finally globalisation, we exist in a world where virtually every polity uses it, without question, without opposition. We are literally living in the *common era.*
>>
>>997447

There's groups of atheists and secularists that want to change those, too.

It never ends.
>>
>being so fucking petty you care what other people do with their lives

Is it because theists are bored out of their brains waiting for Jesus to never return?
>>
>>996719
>>997371
BC and AD have a start point, that is the supposed birth of Christ.
BCE/CE is literally just a renamed BC/AD. Atheists are literally cucking themselves when they use this naming convention because they would be regarding the birth of Christ as "common" when they pick the arbitrary start date.
>>
>>999419

Literally who cares.
>>
When did this board become filled with fedoras?
>>
>>999560
I'll give you a hint, it starts with "r" and ends with "eddit."
>>
>>999430
People who actually give a shit about reasons behind naming things.

Now if BCE-CE was given a different event to seperate the eras, say the official birth of the Roman Empire in what's known as 27 BC, then the current year would 1989 CE and 2016 AD.

But as it stands, BCE and CE are just BC and AD renamed to remove all references to Christianity disgusted with Christianity that they'd lobby to remove G, O, D, X, T and t from the alphabet and make a new addition symbol something not as crosslike.
>>
Why is atheism still legal? I wish we had a Christian version of Saudi Arabia.
>>
>>996706

I'm not a Christian, but I want BC and AD back.
>>
>>999648
0/10 here's your reply
>>
>>999666
Triggered cuckeist.
>>
>>999632
>make a new addition symbol something not as crosslike.
Israelis use ⊥
>>
>>999648
>I wish we had a Christian version of Saudi Arabia
It's called Vatican City, formerly the papal states.
>>
>>999696
Only the clergy live there too. I'm talking about a Maistrean throne and altar monarchy.
>>
>>999648

where the guillotine at lads
>>
>>999666

>666

This triggers the Satan.
>>
>>996706
>caring about this
>>
>>999666
Sorry for triggering you, satan.
>>
>>999648
edgy!
>>
>>997455
>We are literally living in the *common era.*
It would be nice to make that distinction official with a new starting date down the line.

Also fuck the common era. Bring on the Universal Century already.
>>
>>996706

It's called the "common era" because that's literally what it is: the calendar that everyone uses. "The year of our lord" is only accurate for a practicing Christian. It's not a big deal since we all know what it means, but CE is better than AD. "Petty" would be getting mad that people are using more accurate terminology because you're mad that not everyone is a Christian.
>>
>>999419
BCE/CE has one, too.
The birth of the greatest mythology in existence. One that would tie together most of the world.
>>
>>999805
Read Considerations on France, it might just open your eyes.
>>
>>999648
>Literally worshipping a plank of wood

Lol what a shit religion.
>>
>>999821
This. I'd rather use BC/AD and switch to some other format eventually, something that can properly chronicle time outside of the earth as well as on.
>>
File: 1460775034806.png (15 KB, 473x454) Image search: [Google]
1460775034806.png
15 KB, 473x454
>>996706
Yeah, I'm agnostic and I agree. You can either pick another arbitrary date to count things from and fuck everything up, or just suck it up and deal with the fact that Western culture runs on a system devised from a particular belief system. BCE is just lazy.
>>
>>999895
>Agnostic
Agnostic theist or agnostic atheist?
>>
>>999898
You're the equivalent of the "everyone is /pol/ or tumblr" crowd, fuck off.

Who the hell am I to say how the world runs? I'm just a guy who works a shit job and spends his free time reading about people from centuries ago stabbing each other.
>>
>>999910
That doesn't answer my question.

Agnostic theist or agnostic atheist?
>>
>>999666
Satan has spoken christcucks
>>
File: krezus_1.jpg (42 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
krezus_1.jpg
42 KB, 500x499
>>999916
Undeclared, you silly bitch.
>>
>>999910
>>999923
I'm gonna say theist with that faux-humble attitude of yours.

>God might exist so I'd better be humble
>>
>>999929
You can say what you want, it ain't gonna make it right.
>>
>>999648
Sure, you can have that. Enjoy getting stoned for using a secular website.
>>
File: kamille.png (1 MB, 1587x1600) Image search: [Google]
kamille.png
1 MB, 1587x1600
>>999821
>>
>MUH ATHEISTS
Hate to be that guy, but it was actually Jews who started the CE/BCE thing. Stop being so stupid all the time.
>>
>>997455
>Literally every county on earth uses it
Wrong
>>
>>999409
>Jesus to never return
He will return by the end of the 22nd century. Why? Islam.
>>
File: The Cross.jpg (127 KB, 1024x503) Image search: [Google]
The Cross.jpg
127 KB, 1024x503
>>999856
Pic related.

>>999895
>agnostic
You're an atheist.
>>
File: stock-photo-71499999.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
stock-photo-71499999.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1365
>>999856
>shit religion
The Catholic Church built western civilization. You're leeching off culture created by Godly men you stupid pretentious atheist who thinks the physical world is all there is like a pathetic animal.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZDj5nM0KbdUTEpoka1oyAR8BtHfIiVJm

You need to do something about your spiritual emptyness because eternal death awaits you. Don't wait until you'll be on your deathbed. You could die tomorrow. Wake up.
>>
>>1000155
>The Catholic Church built western civilization
No, it adopted Western civilization in attempt after attempt to not be subsumed by its march.
>>
>>1000167
And what was Western civilization prior to Catholicism?
>>
File: 1391675621085.gif (19 KB, 486x311) Image search: [Google]
1391675621085.gif
19 KB, 486x311
>History class in Uni
>Talking about Germanic migration through Europe or something, entire class is bored to tears because no one actually wants to be there.
>Mention a date and use AD
>IMMEDIATELY get a lecture on being unbiased and scientific in a professional setting.
>This goes on for a good few minutes, finally I ask what event started the common era.
>"Well, it started from a historical event that took place in the Roman empire..."
>Would never actually answer the question.
>Waste 30 minutes of our lecture because of a disagreement of what to call the same exact fucking date.

I'm certain this whole dating name change is entirely to cause division within the population since it's completely meaningless and irrelevant from a mechanical standpoint and only serves to separate traditionalists and those who seek change for the sake of change.
>>
>>1000167
>it adopted Western civilization
Weak bait.
>>
>>1000000
>>
File: 1431912622423.png (183 KB, 370x359) Image search: [Google]
1431912622423.png
183 KB, 370x359
>>996706
> At last, we have finally become the 2016, common era trademarked

Jesus Christ really?
>>
>>1000178
>"B-b-b-b-but the witch burnings!" -/r//his/
>>
>being so fucking petty you use BC & AD instead of the hebrew year

we are in the year 5776 you sacrilegious pagans
>>
>>1000179
Truth isn't very good bait.
>>
>>1000167
Well that's some historical illiteracy. Guess your class hasn't covered the role of monestaries yet.
>>
>use christian calendar
>don't use the date names because it offends muslims or something

BC and AD already exist, there's no reason to rename them.
>>
>>996706
>there are people that unironically use BCE &CE
how do they live with themselves?
>>
Was jesus only alive for one year?
>>
>>1000389
That's what it feels like.
>>
>>996706
I use BCE/CE because it gets christians incredibly salty.
>>
>>1000090
Which countries don't use the Gregorian Calander?
>check mate, Athiests
>>
>>999856
Bait
>>
>christians thinking their savior is so important that they have to divvy up history based around the date he got pushed out of a cunt

Explain this arrogance
>>
>>999910
Agnostic isn't a position
It's a statement about your claim to knowledge
You're either an agnostic atheist or agnostic theist
The other choices being gnostic atheist/theist
>>
>>1000077
99% of Jews are atheists
>>
>>1000439
BCE and CE are entirely based on this
>>
>>1000155
>https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZDj5nM0KbdUTEpoka1oyAR8BtHfIiVJm
I'm not a big fan of Tom Woods's crazy ancap stuff, but that series is really quite good.
>>
It is Heisei 27.
>>
>>1000474
until being a jew is advantageous for them. then all the sudden they stop bathing, grow curly hair and a beard, wear black clothing, and want you to remember the 6 gorillion.
>>
>>999821
SIEG ZEON
>>
>>1000439
That's exactly the reason CE and BCE exist
because atheists are a bunch of prissy cunts that lose their shit whenever Christianity is mentioned
like why bother? What exactly was wrong with BC and AD?
>>
>>1000479
>>1000644
The point is why have an AD, CE in the first place
>>
>>1000644
>What exactly was wrong with BC and AD?

My parents made me go to Sunday school.
>>
>>1000644
>What exactly was wrong with BC and AD

1. These are supposed to mark the birth of Jesus's birth. Most historians do not think this represents his actual date of birth which throws the whole system out of whack.
2. Ad=In the year of our lord. Not everyone considers Jesus their lord (no it's not just atheists). It doesn't make sense to ask every person from every religious background to use Christian terminology when the study of history is supposed to be neutral and international. Common Era is more appropriate.

>>1000647
It's sort of like the metric system. Not having CE/AD is a better way of measuring, it's easier to remember and has less problems. However we've gotten so stuck on the old system transitioning is hard, escpially when all the old documents are written in the old form.
>>
>>1000678
Well my parents didn't. CE is what is normal for me. Sorry it's a trigger word for Christfags.
>>
>>1000691
it's triggering because it was fucking pointless to change it

i'm not even a christfag
>>1000683
>Not everyone considers Jesus their lord (no it's not just atheists).
So?
>>
>>1000647
too late to change now
>>
>>1000706
It's not a really big change. You'll understand anyone who says BCE/CE and anyone else will understand you when you say BC/AD.
Just don't mind it.
>>
>>1000683
But it's still based on the birth of Christ.

>It's sort of like the metric system.
It's not though. It's calling a pint a liter and declaring it metric.

BCE/CE is just an attempt to distance the west from its own history.

You're not even giving an international or secular start point, you just get triggered by Christianity. And before you say "you're the one triggered!" remember you're the one who hates the letters but not the date.
>>
>>1000720
I get that, but it's the principle, it's just change for the sake of change, which is beyond stupid.
>>
>>999666
Well those digits wrap that up
>>
>>996706
>not using BCE and CE just to piss off shitposting tippers for christ like you
>>
>>1000729
Welcome to modern progressives.

"We need to make something cultureless and secular, but only in the most superficial and passive way possible."

Hence why they say, rather than "Merry Christmas," "Happy Holidays." It's still fucking Christmas you're talking about, you haven't changed anything.
>>
>>1000738
exactly, it's just pointless
BCE and CE mean the same fucking thing as BC and AD. So why change it?
>>
>>1000734
This. We should do things just because it makes other people mad. We shouldn't do things because it is logical and/or aligns with our beliefs, but because what we do is counter to other people's.
>>
>>1000725
It's based on the birth of Christ, and the religion he created. Christianity is great. That doesn't mean I believe it, though.
It's change because, while we recognize Christianity's influence, Jesus is not our lord.
>>
>>1000792
He's your Lord enough to declare his birth the start of the Common Era.
>>
>>1000792
but yet you still declare his birth the start of CE
so why bother changing it?
>>
>>1000792
Why does that stop you using a different set of letters?
>>
>>999999
>>1000000
>>
>>1000237

6016 Anno Lucis
>>
>>996706
I'm an agnostic and I think it's retarded to do this. AD and BC are what we should use. We've used it for this long, why change it to be "politically correct"?
>>
File: nou.png (164 KB, 331x450) Image search: [Google]
nou.png
164 KB, 331x450
>>999632
>>
>>1000792
>Jesus is not our lord
Jesus Christ is though.
>>
>>1000866
this
>>
>CCXXIV
>still not using the republican calendar
>>
>>999666
now thats a good fucking GET
>>
I agree it's fucking gay.

reppin using BC and AD for life
>>
>Before Christ
>English
>anno Domini
>Latin
How did this happen?
>>
I think it's a needless confusing mess to just change BC and AD. I remember a comment by Lindybeige that I think would've been a better solution for everyone.

Keep BC and AD, and just change the 'meanings' to 'backwards counting' and 'ascending dates'. That way can please the atheists without having to adjust standard vocabulary to say exactly the same thing.
>>
>read wikipedia article on "common era"
>Use of the CE abbreviation was introduced by Jewish academics in the mid-19th century.

Of course it was nefarious hebrew.
>>
>>1002854
>created in 19th century
>only now picking up steam because of fedoras
thanks again fedoras.
>>
>>996706
Go to North Korea or something, pal. They use a nice, non-Christian calender built upon truly scientific principles that you undoubtedly enjoy.
>>
I prefer 'Holocene Era/Human Era' or H.E., this year beaing 12016 H.E.. I think it evokes a more accurate sense of the length of human habitation since the last glacial maximum. It expands the mental remit to a fuller scope of time. Also, the era is almost equally split in half by periods of pre-civilization and civilization.
>>
File: 1451946974536.jpg (89 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1451946974536.jpg
89 KB, 700x525
mfw live in an orthodox christian country, but people use "old era" and "new era". "before christ" is also heard, but rarely.
>>
If you don't believe, why should you use Christian terms?
>>
>>1003551
a better question is why would you care? Why not just use BC and AD? Are you some special snowflake autist that you NEED a new system?
>>
>implying Jesus was even born on January 1, year 1.

Calling it AD is not accurate even if you are a Christian.
>>
>>1002836
It used to be ante Christum natum or "a.C.n"

i guess it switched because three letters were too long or something. I'm pretty sure it was a gradual process much like the current one, should it endure.
>>
>>1003557
>a better question is why would you care?

Why do you?
>>
>>1003557
Because using BC/AD is would be giving credence to something I don't actually believe in. It works both ways, if you're a Christian, why should you use secular terms?

Not everything is le edgy athiest special snowflake syndrome. I didn't ask/want/need a new system but it's perfectly understable as to why one exists.
>>
>Not being a patrician and using the Columbian Exchange as the relevant point of your dating system.
>>
>>999560
Right around the time this board was populated primarily by literate, educated individuals.
>>
>>1003559
it's not about accuracy, it's about change for the sake of change. People have been refuting the date of christ's birth since like the 4th century. It's stuck because everyone is used it but it's been 2 millennia now it's part of humanity.

Changing it would also result in another Y2K scare but worse because stuff would actually break. Nobody would willingly allow that except if the year only applied forwards, meaning there would be BC, AD, and then a new division, like UC. But that would have to be an event on a global scale so that the year before year 1 was year 2016, and could also be referred to as 2017 (2 UC) for a generation to give technology room to not fuck up.

The only thing that's trying to happen is a name change, like if someone renamed Christchurch, New Zealand into 'city hall', New Zealand just because it wasn't inclusive enough. WHO CARES, there's history behind the name, why don't you pave over German graveyards too because you decided they shouldn't be honored, or why don't you knock over the Jefferson Memorial because there are too many monuments to white men, "it isn't proper." There's such a thing as respect.
>>
>>1003623
>There's such a thing as respect.

Why should we show respect just because something is old?
>>
>>996706
Use the Maya Long Count.
>>
>>1003623
>It's stuck because everyone is used it

In other words, it's the Common Era. Thanks for playing!

>Changing it would also result in another Y2K scare but worse because stuff would actually break. Nobody would willingly allow that except if the year only applied forwards, meaning there would be BC, AD, and then a new division, like UC. But that would have to be an event on a global scale so that the year before year 1 was year 2016, and could also be referred to as 2017 (2 UC) for a generation to give technology room to not fuck up.

This is ridiculous.

>WHO CARES

You do.

>why don't you pave over German graveyards too because you decided they shouldn't be honored, or why don't you knock over the Jefferson Memorial because there are too many monuments to white men, "it isn't proper." There's such a thing as respect.

Absurd straw man.
>>
>>996706
I use BC and CE, It is more convenient that using AD and BCE since one calls Jesus my Lord and the other is three letters. Plus I like the continuity of the C
>>
I think instead of years we should count the human lives extinguished thus far
like instead of 2016 it will be 78954371658374 and every time someone dies it will go up 1. Of course this would require implanting everyone with a microchip to automatically determine when they've died but I think this would be worth it for such an efficient system
>>
>measuring time
pointless as it is always the current time
>>
It's first class petty autism
>January
>named after Janus
>that's fine
>Thursday
>named after Thor
>that's OK
>Easter
>named after Eostre
>all right
>AD
>named after Jesus
>OMG trigerred!!!!!
>>
>>1003750
I think we should change those too honestly. The Gregorian/Julian calendar is retarded. We should start the year on the spring equinox and have no months. We should use BC and CE and never BCE and AD.

We should celebrate the Supreme Being and the cult of reason every equinox and solstice as national holidays and change the weekday names to the names derived from Latin like in romance languages.

We should also invite but not force Catholics and Christians to celebrate easter on the equinox, and Christmas on the solstice so that they coincide with the secular national holidays. Of course school years will be based on the Islamic lunar calendar so that people graduate faster with Ramadan off instead of the summer and of course the solstices and equinoxes off as well as Venusday, Saturnday and Solday. In my utopia we have six hour work and school days four days a week obviously.
>>
File: check out this faggot, hanz.gif (948 KB, 155x173) Image search: [Google]
check out this faggot, hanz.gif
948 KB, 155x173
>year of christ pantokrator 7525
>not using the byzantine calendar
ishygddt
>>
>>1003688
>I'm a faggot
>>
>>1003791
>I think we should change those too honestly.
Fuck off
>>
>>1003810
Not beacause they are offensive but rather because they are ugly. September for the ninth month? December for the twelfth? And then one for Julius and another for Augustus? It is arbitrary and unorganized.
>>
>>1003750
You're still not explaining why exactly non-believers should adhere to Christian beliefs. On the whole Christians seem more triggered about this than anyone else.
>>
>>1003820
>>1000800
>>
>>1003827
The only reason they stick with that date is simple convenience.
>>
>>1003820
It's not the name, it's the concept.
Should British atheists be offended because the anthem is God save the King/Queen?
>>
>religious nutjobs

kek
>>
File: pakis out.jpg (117 KB, 736x594) Image search: [Google]
pakis out.jpg
117 KB, 736x594
if sandfaggots don't like it they can stick to their moon calendars, who gives a fug
>>
>>1003840
>flustered atheists
top zozzle
>>
>>1003828
>>1000800
>>
>>996706
It literally doesn't make sense for a non-Christian or Non-westerner to use Before Christ
but we all live in the Common Era

It's just adding context to something that is common but it's origin no longer has context in our lives
>>
>>1003850
the common era being the year of our lord, its nothing but a pointless change of name to avoid ruffling feathers
>>
>>1003850
It literally doesn't make sense for a non-Roman to use January or March
>>
>>1003832
I'm not saying anything about offense. It isn't offensive. I'm asking why you as Christians are demanding all non-believers adhere to your beliefs on this.

You're free to keep using BC/AD because of your beliefs, it's pretty fucking petty to go crying when people who don't believe what you do use something else.

That said if anyone has an actual argument (accusations of fedora tipping don't count) for the continued use of BC/AD regardless of faith I'm all hears.
>>
>>1003844
You just posted devout Orthodox Christians
>>
>>1003850
The common era was started by the birth of Christ
>>
>>1003866
No, I'm pointing out that it's a petty and trivial thing to want to change.
Even I know that his birth probably wasn't exactly 2016 years ago, but we stick with it because it's convenient.
Surely the countless hours of discussion wasted on this would be better served somewhere else
>>
>>1003882
apologies I couldn't find any post-18th century orthodox christian beheadings that looked nice
>>
>>1003866
I've never read a non-western scholar who used AD/BC and I'm sure there are a few who don't use the Gregorian Calendar either

the change from AD/BC to CE/BCE is pointless change to make and in Western academia because it triggers people
>>
>>1003912
>is pointless change to make and in Western academia because it triggers people
is pointless to make and is only being implemented in Western academia because it triggers people
>>
You fucks. The main reason it was changed is that the jesus dude was born sometime after 0 but we dont have an exact date. CE/BCE scale just makes it more accurate and scientific and not reliant on the supposed date of birth of some Palestinian jew. CE = 0
>>
>>1003939
>make it more accurate and scientific
>common era still starts off on a wrong date
o k
>>
>>1003922
>>1003888
So both the arguments for and against changing it boil down to: my belief > your belief

Congrats, Fedora Tippers and Christposters are as bad as eachother. Can either of you explain to me yet why exactly non-believers not using the Christian terms is a problem for you?
>>
>>1003954
>Can either of you explain to me yet why exactly non-believers not using the Christian terms is a problem for you?
it isn't
can you not read?

changing it in Western academia is retarded though
>>
>>1003954
I don't have a problem if they're using it while they talk, although I think it's useless, but I do think it's stupid if they use it in academia or revise old editions so they can replace BC and AD with BCE and CE.
It literally wastes more ink
>>
File: 1423490587167.jpg (22 KB, 207x220) Image search: [Google]
1423490587167.jpg
22 KB, 207x220
>>1003969
The point of the thread is literally to insult people for not using AD/BC.
>>
>>1003982
yeah ok, too bad I'm not OP
>>
>>1003982
Meant for >>1003966

>>1003969
So you object to secularization in a secular society?
>>
>>1003993
It's not secularization if you just change the name.
Do you think that God save the King should be replaced?
>>
>>1003982
>>1003993
the point of the thread is to insult absolute shit eating semantic loving atheists who want to make the change in Western academia
they don't give a shit about the Mahometan calendar or any other religious calendar
>>
>>1003996
It's a part of secularizaring society, that's how BCE/CE has come about.

Personally I'd love a new national anthem for the UK, like Land of Hope&Glory, but not because God is a word in our current one.
>>
>>1004022
It isn't secularizing society because you're still using Jesus' supposed birthyear as a reference point.
Furthermore, while this will sound Jewy to the extreme, not only is it useless, but it actually costs more money, since BCE is going to cost more ink than BC.
It's just a useless waste of time and resources, when there's more important stuff to change (i.e. some schools in the deep south still teaching Creationism, the entirety of the Middle East being stuck in the past, etc.)
>>
>>1004040
>Secularization refers to the historical process in which religion loses social and cultural significance. As a result of secularization the role of religion in modern societies becomes restricted. In secularized societies faith lacks cultural authority, and religious organizations have little social power.

>Before Christ
>Before Common Era
>Anno Domini
>Common Era

If you don't think this is a form of secularization I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
>>
>>1004060
It isn't secularization because the date still has cultural significance; you're still basing your calendars off of Jesus' birthdate.
Plus, if you already start with trivial stuff like this, might as well change the names of the days and the months, as well as names of towns and the like
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 350x190) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 350x190
>>1004022
>Personally I'd love a new national anthem for the UK, like Land of Hope&Glory
>but not because God is a word in our current one
Right.
>>
>>1004074
Literally secularizing something religious.

But you're okay with it, because you don't like the religion.

Fascist.
>>
File: Trinity bomb.jpg (34 KB, 600x455) Image search: [Google]
Trinity bomb.jpg
34 KB, 600x455
>>997455
> I can't say this for sure, but my take on it is that BCE/CE refers to the universality of it, not it's historical basis.

Sure, there is no denying the scope of Western influence throughout the world but changing the dates from BC/AD to BCE/CE is nothing but self-hating politically correct hypocrisy, as it’s presented as some kinda religiously neutral system while remaining based on the exact same European Christian religious principles as before.

There is nothing “common” about Christ’s birth to Chinese history or Indian history or any other non-Christian ethnic group.

If ivory tower academics were honest, instead of just looking to tear down Western civilization, they’d push for a dating system based on the Atomic Era, (BAE/AE) which is based on universal science and not religion.
>>
File: 1435947455450.jpg (17 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1435947455450.jpg
17 KB, 256x256
>>1004119
>Fascist.
nigroe what
>>
>>1004131
Changing the past using language.

Fascism.
>>
>>1003884
But what about people who have no idea who that is and it has no connection to that?

>>1003864
We adopted it though, in the same way we adopted BC, but there are those that didn't that still exist in the common era. There are culture groups we associate with that are big parts of the world stage that don't use our month names. It's the same argument to switching from imperial measurements
>>
>>1004133
that's just revisionism, plenty different kinds of it though
>>
>>1004141
Yes, but it's their choice to use BC and AD because of the convenience, and I think that Saudi Arabia still uses the islamic calendar domestically
>>
>People think the OP is against BC/AD
But he's saying it's stupid when they don't use it.
>>996706
My question is: if you had to make or use a different calendar system, what starting year would you use?

>Can't use Christ's birth
>Fedora Tipper Hard Mode: Can't base it off of any Christian, Muslim, or Judaic events
>Neckbeard Fedora Tipper Mode: Can't base off any religious events
>Optional difficulty: Must be something recognized worldwide (religions are acknowledged globally so this doesn't overlap as much as you think with the first two)

I think my own picks, going a full Easy mode, I'd probably pick the date of Jacob's birth myself. But if I had to forego any religious event, I'd probably pick the invention of the James Watt Steam Engine since one could argue that was a massive gamechanger for the whole world in the scheme of things.
>>
>>1004208
>I'd probably pick the invention of the James Watt Steam Engine

Surely this is just as bad as BC/AD, or at least also has all the same faults.

The only way to make it not be too Eurocentric would be to base it on another culture's passage of time. Because that's really their issue.
>>
>>996706
who cares
>>
File: 1460818336352.jpg (98 KB, 640x499) Image search: [Google]
1460818336352.jpg
98 KB, 640x499
>>999648
I can't tell if the bible boys on this board are real of its just a meme
>>
>>1005868
Eurocentric or not, I don't know if any civilization on earth can deny the importance of the practical Steam Engine, or who invented it.

We could argue all day about when and where the printing press came, the advents of iron and steel differed from place to place, and trying to allow it to be "Different for every nation" basically invalidates the point of a 'common era'.

So I choose Jame Watt's Steam Engine. If any Asians want to argue, they can submit an EXACT year for the invention of something equally important. (Admittedly, Chinese gunpowder is a close second)
>>
>>1004208

United Nations foundation.
>>
Am I the only that that thinks it's better spent using the creation of the Internet? Seems like it's the invention that has had the largest impact on human life.
>>
>>996706
>He doesn't have their own dating systems.
Laughing Chinks and Nips.
>>
>>1006956
>United Nations foundation.
Not that fucking speshul unless the UN manages to found a world government, lead space explorations, and fight off aliens.
>>
>>1007009

>Not using the Spanish Era
>>
>>1000470
But that's retarded, you can be an absolute agnostic and say you do not know whotsoever and don't take a position.
>>
>>999419
The generally assumed date of birth is a few years before the start of AD.
It's blatantly wrong to use BC and AD even as a christian.
>>
>>1003520
I agree, it also removed backwards-counting dates which are pretty pointless.

But it will never be adopted because converting from the current convention is too much effort to be worth it. That's why CE/BCE is the only compromise that's gained steam, because there's no need to convert any dates. But that also means it basically changes nothing.
>>
File: dayum son.jpg (40 KB, 405x405) Image search: [Google]
dayum son.jpg
40 KB, 405x405
>>1007147
Actually, thinking about, HE is still based on BC/AD.

A better method would be to use 1950 as a milestone because of radiometric dating (look it up), and have the HE start 10,000 years before that, since 1950 is the start of the 'present' and the holocene runs from approximately 10,000 years ago to the present.

So we're now in the year 10,066 which is a pretty cool sounding year.
>>
Actually, you all use Unix time, you just don't realize it because you're a bunch of ignorant humanities majors.
>>
>>1007159
You're just from the "glasses with the current year used as the frame" company trying to make yourselves relevant again for another 35 or so years.
>>
I use neither. Instead, I use eaa. and jaa.
>>
>>999419
>literally cucking themselves
*hides post*
>>
File: HE.jpg (129 KB, 616x494) Image search: [Google]
HE.jpg
129 KB, 616x494
>>1007159
After checking, the Holocene is actually about 11-12,000 years before present, so let's arbitrarily go with 12,000 to reduce the chance of negative dates coming up. Which puts us in 12066.

I'm onto something here, motherfuckers.
>>
Let's go with a calendar based around the only event that holds the same importance to all of us...

B4 = before the founding of 4chan
A4 = after the founding of 4chan
>>
File: Jake_Amazed.gif (171 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
Jake_Amazed.gif
171 KB, 500x280
TFW you realize that it doesn't really matter because the coming singularity will render the recording of time as a linear notion completely meaningless.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 544x515) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 544x515
>started is thread a few days ago
>just shit posting tbqh
>it's still going strong

And I am Australian,
This is the best Bantz thread I have Made in years
Thanks Cobs
>>
>>999666
>Satan does not want a Christian state

LEVANTINE CHRISTIANITY WHEN
Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.