[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was just reading about crime reports from the 1600th century
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: 800px-J_J_Wick.jpg (206 KB, 800x1094) Image search: [Google]
800px-J_J_Wick.jpg
206 KB, 800x1094
I was just reading about crime reports from the 1600th century (I believe I started off researching a coin) and I came across this gentleman:

Johann Jakob Wick (* 1522 in Zürich; † 14. August 1588 Zürich)
Pastor and the collector of the Wickiana.

--

The Wickiana is recognized as one of the most significant collections of news reports and documents pertaining to current events dating from the 16th century in the form of single-leaf and illustrated broadsheets, pamphlets, prints, handwritten texts and drawings. These time capsules form one of the most important archives pertaining to a particular epoch, namely that of the Reformation in Switzerland. Johann Jakob Wick (1522-1588), after whom the collection is named, was the clergyman at the Predigerkirche and its associated hospital in Zürich from 1552 and then second Archdeacon, and thus also canon, at the Grossmünster in Zürich from 1557. He assembled and arranged contemporary news documents chronologically between 1559 and 1588, also integrating further material from the period approx. 1505 until 1559 into his collection.

--

How fucking cool would it be to read that? Has any part of it ever been translated? My googling turns up nothing but photographs of the original documents themselves, which even a german would have difficulty getting through.

Unrelated but I find this whole time period really interesting and would like to own a huge poster of Europe as it existed at some point in it. Preferably something readable and more Crusader Kings II style than "ancient map." I can't find anything so I guess I'm going to have to make it myself by modding a game and somehow wrangling insane resolution screenshots out of there. Just mentioning in case one of you have done something like this and would like to offer comments or tips.

ps. communism is cancer
>>
>from the 1600th century
>>
>>994828
wow it hapens.
>>
>>994825

JO-HANN, JA-COB, WICK!

THAAAT'S, MY NAME, TOO! :D
>>
File: smug anime girls.jpg (263 KB, 800x601) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girls.jpg
263 KB, 800x601
>1600th century
>>
>>995111
I'm from a different dimension, bigot
>>
>>994825
hello dear time traveller.
>>
File: 1451960673722.jpg (8 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
1451960673722.jpg
8 KB, 325x325
>>994825
>1600th century
>>
>16000th millennium
>>
what if OP didn't make a mistake and the universe just goes through the same cycle over and over again, causing certain events to repeat infinitely
>>
File: c7KcU1F.jpg (43 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
c7KcU1F.jpg
43 KB, 514x536
>>995213
>>
File: hoarders.jpg (82 KB, 600x416) Image search: [Google]
hoarders.jpg
82 KB, 600x416
Do you think he might have just been one of those crazy hoarders with mountains of newspapers in their living rooms?
>>
>>995590
What's that red thing near the top left?
>>
>>994825
>1600th century
what was passing through your head when you wrote this?
>>
>>995594

Looks like some kind of demon, probably the one OP worships.
>>
>>995645
Bulk bumps at bottom pricing.
>>
>1600th century
Do we ever perfect virtual waifus? Also I can't find anything about this being translated, sorry OP.
>>
>>994825
Couldn't find any translation, but here's the digitalized version of the "wickiana", in case you haven't already stumbled across it. Even just looking at the pictures (there are a lot) can be quite interesting.

http://opac.nebis.ch/F/MGFGT9VPJEGFKQXBD2PUYEBR2U492KNCVFDAQVAEF35IFDLSNC-02837?func=short-jump&jump=000001
>>
>>994825
>1600th century
Jk OP I agree, the period is really interesting and I am also interested in some readings on the subject
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.