[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slavic mythology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: Perun_i_Veles.jpg (30 KB, 674x332) Image search: [Google]
Perun_i_Veles.jpg
30 KB, 674x332
Are there any credible sources for it? I've read some books on the subject but they all differ wildly.
>>
File: Svarun.jpg (608 KB, 791x1286) Image search: [Google]
Svarun.jpg
608 KB, 791x1286
>>994746
If you mean the pre-Christian beliefs, then no. The Slavic polytheists did not keep written records back during Antiquity and early middle ages. There are some records about the believers of the old faith in Slovenia during early 20th century but there isn't much written about them because most kept in secrecy.

A lot of the pre-Christian Slavic mythology is simply reconstruction. For example, Belobog, several Iranic additions, transplanting Western Slavic deities across all Slavic cultures,...
>>
>>996195
>that filename
The Cyrillic letters spell out Svarog, fyi
>>
File: Svetovid.jpg (581 KB, 791x1184) Image search: [Google]
Svetovid.jpg
581 KB, 791x1184
>>996201
I know, I just prefer the Slovene version of the name. There's other names for him, too; Tvarog, Rarog, Rarach, Jarog.
>>
>>996195

As I recall there is some very light written material about the pre-Christian Slavs, but it's from the usual sources, IE the Romans and other adjacent cultures that actually wrote.
>>
File: Perun.jpg (437 KB, 691x1059) Image search: [Google]
Perun.jpg
437 KB, 691x1059
>>997023
True. The material for the pre-Christian mythology comes from Kievan Rus and Frankish/German writings about the West Slavs, I believe. Most of the Slovene mythology that remained to this day survived as part of Catholicism (gods becoming saints, old traditions getting a slight make-over, holy days getting new names and/or context,...).

There is this one text about a man who met a few shepherds in the Julian Alps who worshipped a bull at the beginning of the 20th century, still. It's in Slovene, though.
From what I've read, the believers of the old faith remained in hiding, living in isolated communities, going to church like everyone else and only spreading the beliefs to their children.
>>
>>996195
They kept the records, but almost everything was burned down by HRE and Vatican during crusades against Western Slavs.

Poles were crusaded too. Polish chronicles speak about those events. I'm pretty sure Rus chronicles too.
>>
Nope. It's all shit written by Christians and sometimes literally just made up shit. Like Belobog for example, there's evidence that the ancient Slavs had a deity called Chernobog (Black God) so some autist in the 19th century came up with the idea that there must've been a Belobog (White God) as well. And now you have those cringeworthy rodnover roleplayers even worshipping Belobog lel.
>>
>>996201
>>996195
The true height of faggotry is writing down Slavic Pagan names in a fucking Greek alphabet and thinking it somehow makes it more "authentic".
>>
File: 0_96c44_d5d4834_orig.jpg (473 KB, 1155x791) Image search: [Google]
0_96c44_d5d4834_orig.jpg
473 KB, 1155x791
>>997436
The pictures were most likely made by a Russian.
>>
>>997544
And Russians are pretty hilarious.

>Greek alphabet
>Norse foundation
>Finnic blood
>100% PURE SLAVS
>>
>>997554
That's because Slavs are a bullshit outdated concept.
>>
>>996195
seems to be a giant overlap with norse mythology and folklore in there. Many of the things that are supposed to be "iconic" to it seems to have a near identical equivalent in the nearby mythologies.
>>
>>997724
That's because both evolved from the old Proto-Indo-European beliefs.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.