[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
redpill me on the Protestant Reformation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 19
File: martinlutherkingjr.jpg (79 KB, 970x360) Image search: [Google]
martinlutherkingjr.jpg
79 KB, 970x360
>>
>>994258
Destroyed Christianity. Protestantism has become a mix of hippie cucks and megachurch hillbillies, while Catholicism has had the shittiest pope since Borgia.
>>
>>994258
Martin Luther was pretty based though.
>>
>>994259
when was Christianity superior? which denomination?
>>
>>994258
created german nationalism and idealism, made old testament equal to the nt, shifted authority fully to the state thus set foundation for Hobbes' Leviathan
>>
>>994259
>Borgia
>shit
>>
>>994258
Catholic church was a den of vice and sin. Retarded pope couldn't organise a piss up at a brewery.

If everyone just stayed Lutherans everything would have been fine.
>>
>>994258
It triggered the counter-reformation, which was the catalyst for (in my opinion) the greatest art and architecture in human history
>>
The Catholic church became corrupt like any human institution will, because every single human is a sinner and to hold someone over all people as most holy and close to God is retarded.
Lead to people becoming more free and started encouraging free thought which gave us enlightenment ideals, and better technological and scientific innovations. Eventually lead to Presbyterianism, the objectively best denomination of Christianity where people have liberty and agency, so that someone who was born with a condition that made them feel like they're a woman they can actually do that and be happy and not be forced to be repressed by old priests who think they know better than God.
>>
>>994258
One fag found details of Zionist Master plan and thought of them as errors of contemporary Catholic Church
His attempt at fixing those got Jewed
>>
>>994258
He was right on some things and had good intentions considering how corrupt the Church was in his time, but he was also batshit insane in some ways and the Lutherans of today are a bunch of cucks. At least Calvinists, as insane as their theology is, have a backbone and stick up for traditional morality.
>>
>>994258
They were right to revolt, but i dont think it should have become its own form of Christianity, catholicism should just have conceded that it did some retarded stuff.

There's two reasons translating the bible was illegal
>Latin, Greek and Hebrew poetry goes lost
>people who havent studied the bible have trouble understanding it and the priest should explain to them what some passages mean, rather than taking them as factual

The second one leads to retarded stuff like creationism and people saying anal sex outside of marriage is ok because the bible doesnt prohibit it.
>>
>>994258
Here's a short summary
>Church was being corrupt.
>Bunch of clergy protest for reform.
>End up getting called the Protestant Reformation.
>Church for what ever reason cant fix things fast enough.
>Martin Luther wants to do his thesis thing Luther: I'm a do this thing, Church: Don't do the thing Luther: Too late.
>que mass clusterfuck
>>
>>994268
The Lutheran church is split in half between ELCA cucks and the based LCMS that actually sticks to their guns.
>>
>>994258
There was some serious corruption in the Roman Catholic church on higher levels. Basically a lot of priests finally said "enough's enough" and they all decided to protest it. Martin Luther is one of many, and many priests decided to not leave the Roman Catholic Church, but they agreed with Martin Luther and others that there were serious issues with selling indulgences to impoverished, think Franciscan type seeing this shit, then writing angry letters to cardinals to put a stop.

What got ugly was tons of people leaving the Church to start their Protestant Churches. There were also the famous doctrinal disputes such as sola fide and sola scriptura, purgatory.

But the doctrinal stuff really isn't that big of an issue with the exception of a couple of optional protestant doctrines that were genuinely harmful (Denying Free will, forbidding dancing). Although these positions did not represent the majority position of protestants, but it was sorta trendy at the time. It's mostly died out but there are still some pockets of it left in certain places and I've heard it's becoming popular again. I couldn't tell you for sure.

Anyways disgreeing with the magistrate over doctrines such as sola scruptura and which traditions are the best or go the furthest back is nothing new in the Roman Catholic Church, there has been a long history of theologians and different schools differing on interpretation and tradition, like disputes over molinism, or going with a platonic or Aristotelian philosophical background for scripture, or antiochian vs alexandrian interpretation.

What really made pissed everyone off was christians taking part of another schism. Most reformers at the time had a great value for ancient tradition, but they left and many reformers decided not to leave and they were pissed off at martin about it
>>
>>994261
>which denomination is right tho

Jesus Christ you're retarded
>>
>>994260
Literally ate his own shit.

Then spewed shit theology.
>>
File: nordic.gif (30 KB, 709x452) Image search: [Google]
nordic.gif
30 KB, 709x452
God was fed up with Catholicucks jew'ing and succumbing to racial pollution. He then saved the Nordic stock of Europe by providing northwestern Europeans with a more accurate and less idolatrous interpretation of the Word. Thus eternally damning the shitskins to Catholic heresy, so heaven will start to look more white and gentrified.
>>
>>994272
I don't mean to downplay all the fights over doctrine, it got really ugly, and there was a lot of news about it and it was a big deal. But leaving the chruch was what really made the reformation a big deal. If that didn't happen, it probably be more of a footnote in general church history textbooks.

So it was a mixed bag. Lots of good catholic priests stuck around and just took part of the movement because they agreed on certain important issues, which the church did fix btw and good for them. But as soon as some of them (lots) decided to schism, they started sending all these letters to them angerly telling them not to do this bc it'll fuck shit up.

Martin Luther was a figure head to the movement, but he did a lot of good, and also made some really big mistakes. Many many people were involved
>>
The only good kind of Christianity is sitting at home and reading your Bible and following the way of the light. Every human aspect of Christianity (churches, the pope) is corrupted.

Read your Bible,teach your kids the Bible, live a sinless life.
>>
>>994277
>every human facet of life is corrupted
>except me

Protestants
>>
>>994276
Also John Calvin was an insane heretic in my book. Martin Luther was a mixed bag, had some really good points. He had this change of heart about Aceticism in his life. He said he did it to get into heaven or something, and relied on his own power for salvation, not Jesus Christ's forgivenss of sins.

funny enough the Desert Fathers wouls sometimes complain people would try to imitate what they did, (be an ascetic) but for the wrong spiritual reasons, I imagine Martin Luther would've been the type they were talking about.

Don't freak out about doctrinal disputes. Families fight, the church has fought over all sorts of things for literally millenia, but what matters is we stick to fucking together through thick and thin and we love each ohter. That's when the Catholic church thought he protestants crossed the fucking line.
>>
>>994275
The same thing happened to the Iranians

Truly god loves the aryan race
>>
>>994258
It triggerd some pretty great wars.
>>
>>994277
That's literally heresy

Christianity is given through the lineage of priests descending theologically from the apostles who are the clergy of the One True Church

Take your nicetianity and shove it up your ass
>>
File: luther.png (328 KB, 463x684) Image search: [Google]
luther.png
328 KB, 463x684
>>994260
He was hypocrite
>>994274
Pic related
>>
>>994278
You dense motherfucker.

If every man is sinned, how does putting your faith in another man (pastor, pope) not lead to more sin? Don't put your faith in man.
>>
Milo Yiannopoulos is the reincarnation of this man, I saw it in a dream
>>
>>994284
Mad?

Some men are better - smarter - than others. Would rather hear the Word from a man living in His temples than someone who can barely make sense of the Bible.
>>
>>994282
>The church is corrupted to the core
>You will only learn the good kind of Christianity through corrupt Christians.

Catholics are mentally ill.
>>
>>994258
Martin Luther? A man that like to shove stuff up his ass..
>>
File: oct.jpg (72 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
oct.jpg
72 KB, 768x576
>>994258
>>
>>994258
best event of the past 500 years except for maybe modern scientific developments
>>
>>994286
If you need a pastor to chew you food, go ahead. you can understand the Bible if you have the mental capability of a 13 year old, it's not hard. And priests nowadays don't live in His temples, they only rent it. Priests are the most godless people around these days.

The Bible was made so everyone can reach God, not so a tiny group of people can explain it to everyone. God knows man is born in sin, why would He give them the power to be the only ones who can read the Bible.
>>
File: 3hierarchs.jpg (68 KB, 297x400) Image search: [Google]
3hierarchs.jpg
68 KB, 297x400
Interesting fact, some protestants just simply left the Roman Catholic church and joined the Orthodox church because they felt like the Orthodox church wasn't having the same issues with taking money from poor people trying to buy indulgences. Martin Luther was an avid fan of the Virgin Mary, he loved Hail Mary and all that shit, the whole 9 yards. Most Protestans today would've taken him for a Roman Catholic if they didn't inquire deeply about his theology. John Calvin was just nuts as were his puritan followers.

Puritans requiered of themselves to only wear black. But there is no such thing as natural black dye, so they'd spend mass fortunes to buy expensive black clothing, that black color they achieved in the clothing was just their clothes being dyed into every color dye imaginable, achieving a very dark blackish color. Which is hypocritical and somewhat funny. Anyways, people protested the Catholic church for all sorts of reasons and it was a big mess, but good did come out of it. In the end I think we'll be all united again one day
>>
File: Martin Luther, the liar.jpg (162 KB, 492x219) Image search: [Google]
Martin Luther, the liar.jpg
162 KB, 492x219
>>994258
A kike's a kike. Enjoy your suppository.

>>994260
Truly a great man.
>>
>>994291
It's not out of a sense of authority, rather submission. Living in His temples is a sacrifice not a divine privilege

But you wouldn't understand that because you're not Catholic
>>
>>994291
God knows power corrupts, why give the Church the power to tell millions of Gods children what they should be doing. The Bible is made for everyone, everyone who can read can understand the Bible.
>>
>>994289
There were some changes obviously but yeah, pretty much.
>>
>>994296
Your arguments imply a massively flawed understanding of human sin
>>
>>994296
For
>>994295
>>
>>994297
>>994298
thanks for free (You)'s
>>
>ITT Catholics still butthurt that people believe something different than them
>>
File: 28221.b.jpg (85 KB, 328x657) Image search: [Google]
28221.b.jpg
85 KB, 328x657
here's an interesting debate that took up in the Catholic church, an example of serious doctrinal dispute that few know of.

6 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature

Until John of Chrysostom gave his own homily on Romans, (pretty sure it was him) The near universal opinion was that that verse above was not about lesbian sex, but women having sex with men, that did not result in the conception of a child, they hated anything that had to do with no birth control, probably for pragmatic reasons that we are dealing with today on low birth rates.

Typical roman catholics, some things never change. I can only imagine their stance on Abortion and how much they hate it.

Anyways, was until John of Chrysostom came around that anybody interpreted the passage differently, thinking it was lesbian sex, until then, the only issues addressed about lesbian sex were either met with silence, or issues with pagan rituals and shit. We just don't have a lot written about it. I don't mean to support lesbianism or anything, just telling you something cool.
>>
>>994299
You too m8
>>
>>994294
I'm done talking to catholics who are literally cucked by their church.

>Don't put your faith in man
Lets worship Mary lmao
Lets worship the Pope lmao

The Catholic church is a response to easily manipulative religious people. They took advantage of Christians back in the day because they couldn't read the Bible, now that you can yourself you don't need a church, just a Bible. Don't cuck yourself.
>>
>>994259
>Francis
>white christianity
>>
>>994258
the shitposter of his time.
you should look into the stuff he wrote and said.
he would face a judge for that stuff these days.
>>
File: MTE1ODA0OTcxNzA3MjM3OTAx.jpg (155 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTE1ODA0OTcxNzA3MjM3OTAx.jpg
155 KB, 1200x1200
You guys do know know that Luther was a raging anti Semite and even wrote a book called On the Jews and Their Lies right? Ive got a copy.
>>
>>994291
Well, this is not how Christianity works really. The Christ left His Church on Earth not the Bible. The Bible was compiled by the Church 300 years after the Christ to help solidify the oral teachings. The only way to understand the Bible is through communion and attaining the spirit of Church, the same spirit original creators had. Otherwise you'll go scientifically analyzing the translation of the translation reading the meaning into the words where it does not exist, and this is the best way into heresy. No wonder there are so many protestant denominations when this is the way they approach Christianity.
>>
>>994265
The Reformation arose in the vacuum of Black Death and resulted in the enlightenment and Renaissance because people had to suddenly think for themselves again or die. Western feudalism crumbled.

The counter-Reformation is the Jesuits, an all male homosexual order of sodomite bankers and soldiers who can even pretend to be power Jews. Their primary objective is to destroy the Reformation and all countries based on it, Germany, USA, Oz, England, Canada, Netherlands...etc. and drag the world back into the dark ages for presumably Black Death II. The Jesuits front is a spiritual and educational order, but that's just their childhood indoctrination and alter boy rape angle, they are all business all the time and headed up by a Machiavellian General.

These are interdasting times as they wrap things up and prepare to turn the lights out!
>>
>>994258
>implying calvinism isn't the best christianity
>>
>>994303
Sounds like you're just insecure. With your logic the next self-proclaimed Thomas Aquinas should just make his mark whenever he wants

The Catholic church was instilled to make sure knowledge of the nature of the world was regulated and shrouded deeply in prayer and devotion to ensure responsibility. The Protestant philosophy could never possibly do such a thing and is in fact a reason the Enlightenment came along and destroyed man's faith in God
>>
>>994303
>thinking all theology is dependent on the Bible

Fuck off, the catholic church is based on 2000 years of apostolic tradition, not solely the bible. Have fun in Hell heretic.
>>
>>994309
>People have no free will

Sounds great
>>
>>994311
>implying human tradition has ANYTHING to do with the word of god

You still don't get it
>>
redpill yourself, by looking at all this redpill material

>>71155259
>>
>>994311
Have fun explaining why you worshiped a pope who is nothing more than a human with a fancy title and a easily replaceable woman who did nothing more than bear a child.
>>
>>994312
>implying you have free will
>implying you're not a computer designed to react to your environment in a certain way

>still implying calvinism isn't best
>netherlands
>calvinist culture
>incredibly succesful society
>>
>>994258
wealth and power was stolen from the catholic church by nobles and a sort of criminal class was created that reigns to this day.
>>
>>994313
>The pastors said for 2000 years that fucking a alterboy is OK so it's basically Gods Word.

Mentally ill.
>>
>>994318
ment for
>>994311
>>
>>994318
I agree with you though.

I left the Cathlic church literally two weeks after I started reading the bible and I realized how wrong they really are.

Still haven't found a new denomination
>>
Here it is:
>the church basically invented proto-capitalism
>the church is the driver of innovation
>that made the church insanely rich while nobility went downhill
>Luther said all the wealth is not purpose of religion though
>so he started Reformation
>>
>>994311
If God wanted you to learn the ways that arrived after these years of tradition, why did he not put them in the minds of people 2000 years ago?

So the people who died 1000 years ago are in hell now because they missed the 1000 years that came after they died?

Tradition is a human concept, Gods word isn't
>>
File: 1411044344020.png (747 KB, 1020x746) Image search: [Google]
1411044344020.png
747 KB, 1020x746
It allowed the eternal anglo to start Jewing the world
>>
To be honest I really wished that the protestants joined the Orthodox in mass instead of leaving either altogether. Can you imagine millions of Orthodox Churches all over the United states and great Britain, Scandiavia and Germany???
>>
>>994320
yeah I sent it to the wrong person. I haven't found a good denomination too because protestant churches in the Netherlands are insanely cucked. I just read and pray for the time being
>>
>>994320
The Bible was created by the Catholic Church in 393. How the fuck can they be wrong?
>>
>>994318
man all the denominations have kid fuckers. power corrupts. it's just that catholics are the largest christian denomination so they have more priests. when a methodist or baptist preacher touches kids nobody even hears about it cause they're too insignificant
>>
>>994326
>The poor, powerless church in 393 is the same as the multi-trillion dollar corporation Church(tm) right now.

wew
>>
test desu
>>
>>994326
They are literally so wrong that they tried to stop people from reading it for 700 years.
>>
>>994327
>It's okey because other also do it.
Reaching enlightenment is something you have to do yourself, you can't let a fellow man carry you. If you do you give them power over you and power corrupts.
>>
>>994330
BTFO
T
F
O
>>
>>994258
based. fuck the pope.
>>
>>994330
They would have changed the text or just replaced books if they were wrong. They had the power to do it.
>>
>>994271

This. I was born and raised in a family that attended LCMS church and was confirmed in the church as well.

LCMS is the closest thing left to actual Christianity in the US. Sadly the elca are a bunch of idiots who make us all look bad.
>>
>>994334
how do you know they didn't though? Only people from the church were allowed to read or copy bibles.
>>
>>994335
Can you explain the difference? I'm interested in a new demonination
>>
ELCA is full of liberal cucks. The other one is more conservative to their doctrine.
>>
It was the best thing to happen to christinity at that time
Too bad it went to thousands of denominations from lesbian pastor lutheran of sweden to evangelical women burning their pants because they are too stupid to interpret
I put my hopes on an upcoming great oecumenism for protestantism
>>
>>994292
when that time comes lets all agree to leave the cool shit in our churches. no iconoclasts, yeah guys?
>>
>le corrupt church may may

Sure the german richmen that liquidated church assets in germany were honest men, luther married a former nun too also he shilled heavily against Thomas Müntzer.
Fucking retards.
>>
>>994324
Actually there is a mass movement of Protestants converted back to Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches. It's a big movement. The American Orthodox Church is really growing signifigantly. The reasons seem to vary but it's exciting to watch
>>
File: 72111.jpg (134 KB, 506x748) Image search: [Google]
72111.jpg
134 KB, 506x748
>>994342
yeah, it's impressive, there is a bunch of really great Orthodox theologians in America now, I often enjoy listening to them more than my local priest :)

these guys have good guests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeEHaQjgpOk
>>
File: 1445459090192.png (48 KB, 240x198) Image search: [Google]
1445459090192.png
48 KB, 240x198
>>994308
Kek, you have quitw the imagination
>>
>>994337

Sure thing brother.

Back in the 70's, the main Lutheran seminary in Missouri had a huge doctrinal dispute over whether or not salvation was purely in the hands of God or if men had a say in their own salvation. It led to an event called Semin-ex, where several prominent professors and many students backing the more evangelical teaching of man having control over his salvation walked out and basically started teaching what they wanted on their own site, but still under the seminary's name. The issue was eventually decided against them after much debate, and they were welcomed back if they renounced their heresy. Most didn't and the ELCA came about.

The main difference these days is that the ELCA operates almost the same as every other evangelical denomination in the US. They pander to social trends to try and get members, call on people to 'make a decision for God', then constantly shit on them for every little sin saying that they didn't really commit to God and they have to try harder. If you have ever been to a harvest festival, it's like that except they falsely call themselves Lutherans.

The LCMS holds firmly that salvation is an act of God and that we as man cannot obtain our own salvation since it has already been obtained for us through Christ. We also practice closed communion, so it is necessary to be confirmed as a Lutheran before you communicate with us.

If you are really interested, I recommend that you read both Luther's small cathecism, as well as a book named 'The Fire and the Staff' by Klemet Preus.

Those 2 books will give you a very solid understanding of what Lutherans are about, before you even step foot inside one of our churches.
>>
>>994339
>whole post
yep, I'm with you

PS: pls rename that metro station in paris called stalingrad into lepanto '71 or sth
>>
>>994258
Off-topic and /b/-tier threads will be deleted (and possibly earn you a ban, if you persist). Unless they are quality, well thought out, well written posts, the following are examples of off-topic and/or /b/-tier threads:

>Red pill me on X. (with no extra content or input of your own)
>>
>>994324
whats so great about the orthodox denom?
>>
>>994345

I meant to say 'commune' with us. You can always speak to a Pastor as well at any time if you have questions about the church.
>>
>>994271

What the fuck do these acronyms mean?
>>
>>994303

>2016
>thinking that Catholics worship Mary or the Pope.
>>
PROS:

-development in local languages
-rigid church attendance developed into rigid work ethics later

CONS:

-destroyed centuries of priceless art
-banned monasteries
-enforcing fundamentalist attitude
-witch hunts

Won't argue theology.
>>
File: historia ecclesiastica.png (28 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
historia ecclesiastica.png
28 KB, 640x400
>>994289
>>
>>994585
Theologian here, this is pretty accurate
>>
>>994320
reminder
http://fisheaters.com/responses.html
>>
this is /pol/ thread, you lowly /his/ trolls are not worthy of replying to it
>>
>>994585
>Baptist
>True Church from Christ.

History and theology aren't your best subjects ay?
>>
Catholicism fucked itself by killing more moderate heretics like Jan Hus in order to preserve its orthodoxy to the point that when a really radical reformer, like Luther, came along, he was allowed to fuck everything up.

That and it refused to actually institute soft reforms which had been called for for a hundred years and more, causing more and more resentment.

t. Regretful Catholic
>>
>>994621
>a really radical reformer, like Luther

He was a bootlicker to german landlords, Thomas Müntzer was a radical
>>
>>994653
I guess the problem with Luther is that he didn't understand what free and open interpretation of the Bible meant.

Luther seems to have been of a nature where he couldn't quite comprehend that people might not agree with him to the letter.

He didn't think the Catholic Church would see him as a heretic; he didn't think the Jews would remain Jewish if they were shown Christian kindness, and he didn't think that anyone interpreting the Bible would come to any other conclusion other than his.

This is what caused him to go from reasonable to quite radical at the end.
>>
>>994703
>he didn't think the Jews would remain Jewish if they were shown Christian kindness
until they were and stayed Jewish and he went fucking nuclear and wrote the Jews and their Lies.
>>
>>994703
So basically he was autistic?
>>
>>994732
Yes, that was my point. He thought the only reason they refused to convert was because the Catholics were cruel to them, so he tried being nice.

In no way did he ever even consider that they might want to be Jewish, even though it would make more sense, because who would ever put up with the shit they didn't think being Jewish was important?

>>994751
More likely just very vain and decisive, which was probably why he revolted.

If he were autistic, he probably would have been an atheist, since they typically have trouble grasping religiosity
>>
>>994275
so why are catholic countries in Europe generally less cucked than protestant ones?
>>
>>994258
Autism.
>>
File: 1448578708609.jpg (119 KB, 777x656) Image search: [Google]
1448578708609.jpg
119 KB, 777x656
>>994266
>Presbyterianism, the objectively best denom

I can't even read the rest of your bullshit.
>>
>>994873
Because the Protestant nations of Europe have basically devolved into general Atheism, so God went back to the Catholics, and also helping the Jews fight the Palestinians again for some reason, presumably in order to build the Third Temple so the world can just end already, because it's kind of embarrassing at this point.

>And by the 5.475e+12th day, God grew so tired of the Human race, that he killed them all, the end
>>
File: 1426715114373.jpg (9 KB, 278x181) Image search: [Google]
1426715114373.jpg
9 KB, 278x181
>>994275

It's funny because it's only a matter of time before protestant denominations die out, and many have, whereas Catholicism will not. Protestantism is built on sand.
>>
>>994895
nice fan-fiction m8
>>
>>994904
It's not fanfiction, it's the truth.

Basically the only Protestant Nation left is the US, with everyone else being basically agnostic, if not outright Atheist
>>
>>994873
Protestant countries are greenhouses shielded from the environment.
>>
Lutheranism seems to be the most original of the Protestant movements.
Most of the Hussites either converted to Lutheranism or assimilated it's core tenets.

Everything else was just dissatisfied radicals demanding for more stringent morals and a restoration of varying aspects of the Deuteronomic code at various times and sects throughout history.

It's no surprise that after getting exiled to the colonies that radical separatists kept on doing what they do best; separating.

You'll find that fire and brimstone preaching is great for attracting the intellectually lacking and ignorant masses that have an affinity for morbid excitement.

Fun fact: much of Anglican belief is derived from reformed theology.
>>
File: Senakulo.jpg (183 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
Senakulo.jpg
183 KB, 640x425
>>994275
>Be a universalist religion with one god plus with a missionary bent to spread this religion.
>WORRY ABOUT SHIT LIKE "RACIAL PURITY."
/pol/ Christianity, everybody.

Friendly reminder to /pol/ that they must be friendlier to Non-Whites as these take Christianity more seriously than whites nowadays.
>>
>>994258
Without the reformation no sola Scriptura and no re-claiming the early church stance on justification by faith.

This is far, far better than the corrupt, heretical Roman Catholic church of the Middle Ages, when every Pope was a murderer, and salvation was through obeying the priesthood.
>>
>>994337
I would love to see a revival of the cathar/bogomil doctrine myself. I'd even become a parfait later in life (not on death-bed but before).

Of course, it will never happen. Pity that the Bosnian bogomils all became muslims by the early 17th century.

And the catholics genocided the French cathars in the Albigensian Crusade, they found the Inquisition for them.
>>
>>994282
>That's literally heresy
what is heretical about it?
>>
>>994289
>the undivided church
literally never existed
>>
>>994304
>Christianity
>racial in any way shape or form

go back to america
>>
>>994324
>millions of byzantiboos
disgusting
>>
>>994258
He had some solid ideas for reform. I'm Missouri synod, we're basically Catholics to be honest with the whole Sola scriptura. Also not so.... Vatican II'd.
>>
>>996459
My thoughts exactly. The moment christianity was legalised in the Roman Empire they started killing heretics (Arians).

Let's not forget the whole homoousios vs homoiousios debate. Or the gnostic churches. Adoptionism. Nestorianism. Docetism. Pneumatomachians. Monarchianism. Paulicians... the list is endless really.
>>
>>996469
To clarify on my previous post, with the addition of Sola scriptura*

The Catholics probably could have brought us back into the fold if they weren't preaching the whole "tolerance" thing today.

It would have been better for all sides if the church had just did some reforms without a kneejerk reaction.
>>
File: luther.jpg (119 KB, 680x515) Image search: [Google]
luther.jpg
119 KB, 680x515
>>
File: pepe11.png (1 MB, 1072x736) Image search: [Google]
pepe11.png
1 MB, 1072x736
>>994309

Predestination is just being too lazy and/or being to stupid to think of a better way of to explaining theology. Also the fact that protestants denounce proper good christian philosophy land thinkers like St. Aurelius Augustine and Thomas Aquinas is just dumb.

Protestants are a dumb sect that only sowed death and division in western europe. Sure the Catholic church made mistakes but binning more than 1200 years of philosophy because it was based on greek thinkers like Aristotle is just being short sighted and dumb.
>>
>>994266
>Calvinist denomination
>people have liberty and agency
>Literally believe that God mind controls everyone

wew
>>
>>994316

Most Dutch Calvinsts live in inbred villages where they catch measels all the time and they have to ask the congregation for money to go to the hospital because health insurance is a lack of faith in god. These reformed folk will argue about anything, for instance there is a feud between congregations in a town about the issue whether the snake in the story of creation literally spoke to Eve or it was meant figuratively.

Honestly the Calvinists are the main factor the Dutch didn't progress even more. Predestination is not really an idea that instills ambitions, they all keep to themselves in their villages and loose a few kids to measles.

Honestly I blame Calvinism for the fact that dutch food is shit. The Catholic parts of the Netherlands and Belgium have way better food and generally seem to enjoy life more.

I am not religious but I grew up in the Netherlands, I went to Catholic and Protestant schools, I must say like the Catholics more. Their way of life and thinking just seems more reasonable.

Charts on the measles:

http://www.rivm.nl/Documenten_en_publicaties/Algemeen_Actueel/Nieuwsberichten/2013/Verspreiding_van_mazelen_in_de_Biblebelt

https://www.google.nl/search?q=bible+belt+mazelen&rlz=1C1CHWA_nlNL617NL617&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=623&tbm=isch&imgil=Q-hhKl2VvuLAtM%253A%253BINLZ18v9XIVvfM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.omroepzeeland.nl%25252Fnieuws%25252F2013-06-11%25252F455615%25252Frivm-uitbraak-mazelen-biblebelt&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Q-hhKl2VvuLAtM%253A%252CINLZ18v9XIVvfM%252C_&usg=__2zah-rEI89-U0ZgOZ7Yfk4TKkz0%3D&dpr=1&ved=0ahUKEwistr2uppbMAhWF2ywKHUieALYQyjcINg&ei=ldUTV-yXOoW3swHIvIKwCw#imgrc=Q-hhKl2VvuLAtM%3A

http://www.trouw.nl/tr/nl/4516/Gezondheid/article/detail/3457045/2013/06/12/Uitbraak-van-mazelen-op-biblebelt-vanwege-weigerpatienten.dhtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt_(Netherlands)
>>
>>994269
>people who havent studied the bible have trouble understanding it and the priest should explain to them what some passages mean, rather than taking them as factual

That's actually one of my biggest issues with protestantism. So many divergences based on personal interpretations, so many people with only a cursory amount of knowledge are arriving at conclusions without knowing additional details that contradict them.

Having a whole division of intellectuals who dedicate themselves to the discernment and study of the bible is a far more effective way to divine its message, and anyone who's truly interested in figuring out what's going on can work their way into such a group to present their findings and beliefs. Only issue becomes when they pack up their ball and go home when someone finds something counter to it.
>>
Well intentioned, but shit the bed hard after becoming properly separate from the church. Nothing to bind them together except a common desire for change, so they've splintered and become shit over time
>>
>>998272
Feature not bug.
>>
File: 1409558193405.jpg (534 KB, 469x5000) Image search: [Google]
1409558193405.jpg
534 KB, 469x5000
>>994258
>>
>>994289
Orthodox Christians sure love making bullshit graphs like those.
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.