[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't the Austrians give a shot at colonialism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
Why didn't the Austrians give a shot at colonialism?
>>
>>993974
They colonized Hungary and Romania.
>>
>>993974
That's a huge colonial empire tho.
>>
They went with expansion over colonialism

Turns out it's easier to just subjugate stone-age natives than it is incorporating other civilized people into your country.
>>
>>993986

4 u
>>
>>993974

Like the Spartans, they chose to colonise fellow Europeans rather than fuzzy-wuzzies.
>>
File: Map_of_Europe_1750_(VOE).png (162 KB, 2794x2160) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_Europe_1750_(VOE).png
162 KB, 2794x2160
Because they were never a maritime power? Most of the colonial empires (England, Spain, France, Portugal) have a direct access to Atlantic coast.
>>
>>993974
Its basically landlocked.

That is important.
>>
>>993983
>>993986
>>994039
>being this stupid

Hungaria, Croatia etc were legitimate crownlands, they were not colonies.
>>
>>993974
Because it was Landlocked on three sides, and its only access to the Sea was directly next to the Ottomans.
>>
>>994063

Hungary maybe, but to claim the Croats, Czechs, Poles and Transylvanians didn't get colonised to fuck is just wrong.
>>
>>994050
>>994073

So was Germany, but that didn't stop them from getting colonies.
>>
>>994089
Germany had a larger area open to the Sea with less hostile powers surrounding it.

Also, they didn't have much
>>
>>994081
How the fuck did they get "colonized"?

>Hungary yes, Croatia no

Croatia was in a personal union with Hungary for hundreds of years.
>>
>>994089
>Germany
>no access to the Atlantic
>no maritime network and massive navy
>>
>>993974
They did
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_colonial_policy
>>
>>994089
Germany had all kinds of reasons, but at least they couldn't be completely cut off from their colonies by the whim of the British.
>>
>>994063
>legitimate crownland
>Implying that actually means anything

The entities were called "Kingdom of" X on paper, but they were treated like any other province.
Congress Poland was a "kingdom" but was a de facto province of Russia.
The only case were this wasn't true was 1867-1918 Hungary when they actually had some self-rule.

>>994052
>Adriatic coastline: Fiume, Triest, Ragusa
>landlocked
>>
>>994122
>province = colony
This is on the level of claiming that Florida is a colony of Washington DC.
>>
>>993983
>and Romania.

wait what when
>>
>>994108

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magyarization

There you go champ.
>>
ITT retards who believe that colony = "a place that someone controls"
>>
>>994108
>complete political and economic control

Also, you do realize the Habsburgs actually colonized German populations in these land ,right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danube_Swabians
>>
>>994134
>mfw some illiterate pleb actually tries arguing against me with wikipedia articles

I'm out. "High level of discourse" my ass.
>>
>>994147

I started with wiki because I new you had exactly nothing to support your claims. Thanks for proving me right so quickly, so long, dickhead!
>>
>>994081
Transylvania was part of the Hungarian crown before they became an Ottoman client state. Croatia also.
The Czech crown was legally acquired by the Habsburgs in 1526.

But I give you the Poles, Galizia was just occupied by Austria because they could.
>>
They did.
Look up the Ostend Company.
It was shortlived, but succesful. Heavy competitor with the Dutch and the British, which, as could be expected, resulted in Austria having to close it down under pressure of the British during the Treaty of Vienna... Which brought about the Anglo-Austrian Alliance.
>>
>>994147

Sorry senpai, only the "/pol/" part of the sticky is enforced religiously
>>
>>994151
Magyarization was a language policy, it has grand fuck all to do with colonies.
>>
>>994153
>Transylvania was part of the Hungarian crown before they became an Ottoman client state. Croatia also.
>The Czech crown was legally acquired by the Habsburgs in 1526.

And India was legally acquired by the British, doesn't make it any less of a colony.
>>
>>994167
see >>994141
>>
>>994161

Yeah because forcing your subject people to adopt a new language and identity, that's totally nothing like colonialism amirite? I mean, the fact that this "language policy" was accompanied by massacres of Slavs and resettlement of Magyars, that's totally beside the point and again nothing at all like colonisation. Those Magyars who ended up living outside of Hungary They just spontaneously appeared, no taking of land from subject Slavs took place because of course this was nothing at all like colonialism! Ditto all those Austrians who ended up in Czechia and along the Danube, those lands were uninhabited when the Austrians arrived because A-H was nothing like a colonial power!
>>
Read the Political Economy of Grand Strategy by Narizny

It has tons of holes, but the basic point, e.g. the economic interests of the political coalition supporting the leaders dictates foreign policy, does make sense.

They had no reason to.

I mean, why didn't America take Canada after the Civil War. The military it had mustered was enough to do it. (Although it would fuck exports, which is the point).

America never did much colonization either, though it could have.

American exporters had a comparative advantage over Latin American producers and so they didn't need colonial privileges for business deal. Instead we just did cheaper, light intervention.
>>
>>994167
Colony has the legal status of a colony, plus it's a far away and somewhat autonomous land that's been settled by people from the mother country.

Hungary and Croatia were outright part of Austria. They weren't "Austrian colonies". Like I said earlier by this logic you could claim that Florida is a colony of Washington, it's fucking nonsense.
>>
>>994195
> massacres of Slavs
Here we go with this revisionist horseshit again.
>>
>>994195
I don't know about "Austrians" in Czechia, but the Sudeten Germans lived there since a Bohemian king in the high middle ages invited them there. It had nothing to do with Austria and most of them arrived from Bavaria and Saxony anyway.
>>
>>994202
>Colony has the legal status of a colony
>muh sematics

So America didn't colonise the West? And Russia didn't colonise Siberia? They never called it colonisation and that's apparently all that matters, right?

>>994204

Hahaha you must be some kind of retard.
>>
>>994212
>Hahaha you must be some kind of retard.

Great argument. Which Slavs are we even talking about?
>>
Also, of the Great Powers, Austria was probably the weakest next to the Ottomans and Italians by the time massive empire building in Africa got going.

Italy never did much either.

By the early 1900's, none were on nearly the level of the other powers, which kind of makes the German's in WWI way more spectacular. They took on three great powers, and later Italy at once, with allies only capable of defense.

Although Austria's failure may have been due to Conrad being a tard.

And Ata Turk gets cred for totally fucking up the Brits.
>>
>>994212
Colony isn't a synonym for foreign rule you massive moron.
>>
>>994039
You mean by being too stupid and poor to build boats and compete with other naval powers, and instead conquered their peasant neighbours and subjugate them in a fashion that would later bite them back in the butt later-on in the future, and were too incompetent to expand further against rival states? ?
>>
>>994534

Yes except for the stupid and poor parts, A-H did in fact have a very fine navy for most of it's history.
>>
Because they couldn't afford to
>>
>DUDE AUSTRIA WAS COLONIZING AND MASSACRING THE SLAVS XD
Fuck off with this entente propaganda
>>
>>993974
what is Bosnia & Herzegovina
>>
>hungary
>>
>>994063
>>994108
>>994141
>>994555
But we really can talk about colonisation. It started with the Bavarians in the 9th/10th century as a result of a lack of space and resources. They did colonise the lands to the east and the south and not only once - large swaths of land were depopulated after the plague and the Turkish raids that left thousands dead, thousands enslaved and sent to the east and thousands dying of starvation.
>>
>>994195
>massacres of Slavs and resettlement of Magyars

citation needed
>>
They got a big slice of Tianjin on China after the Boxer Rebellion, the Archduke tried to invade the Solomon Islands but got kicked out by the natives and they also had a go at Aden in Yemen of all places before the British showed.

In short, Austria-Hungary's colonisation program can be summed up as an embarrassment only slightly larger than the Empire's existence.
>>
>>994147
What does Wikipedia have to do with literacy? Did you mean uneducated? Maybe you're the illiterate one. Please go now
>>
>>993995
Russia somehow managed to do the latter, the Ottomans too to a degree
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.