[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You are now aware that Threads, The Day After, The War Game etc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9
You are now aware that Threads, The Day After, The War Game etc etc are propaganda designed to scare you into supporting disarmament.
>>
>>992785
and what Fallout is propaganda to prepare you to want/accept living in a post apocalyptic world?
>>
All film is in some way propaganda
>>
File: HH.jpg (90 KB, 1492x832) Image search: [Google]
HH.jpg
90 KB, 1492x832
>>992814
>Hardcore Henry is propaganda
>>
>>992808

Fallout isn't held up as an example of what nuclear war will definitely be like.
>>
File: 1394176341738.gif (484 KB, 200x149) Image search: [Google]
1394176341738.gif
484 KB, 200x149
>realistic depictions of how things would play out during a nuclear war is propoganda
>>
>>992862

> realistic

lol
>>
iirc the Chinese also made some propaganda to denounce the nukes power. even Mao stated once that they were paper tigers being used to scare the Chinese. Here is a vid from that showing animals surviving the blast in just around 10 feet underground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PJsAtX30wI
>>
File: Square_leg.gif (23 KB, 600x834) Image search: [Google]
Square_leg.gif
23 KB, 600x834
>>994517

Threads was based on "Square Leg", the British governments assessment of how a nuclear war would affect Britain.
>>
File: 1460178029705.jpg (38 KB, 604x437) Image search: [Google]
1460178029705.jpg
38 KB, 604x437
Experts generally agree that a nuclear war would be a pretty rum thing.
>>
>>992785
Ok. Let's say I now support disarmament.
So what? I can't vote on it. My opinion doesn't change anything.
>>
>>994557

And Square Leg was deliberately made as a worst case scenario and has the Russians bombing pointless targets with their most powerful bombs for literally no reason

Look up who drew up all these apocalyptic looking maps and charts and stuck delightful, no biased text like "Doomsday" in the corner.

A hint: the CND
>>
>>994568

> implying that there aren't several political parties and politicians who support disarmament you could and still can vote for.
>>
>>996281

>implying your going to be the median voter and actually make a difference
>>
>>996276
So how would a normal nuclear war play out?
>>
>>992785
>You are now aware that Threads, The Day After, The War Game etc etc are propaganda designed to scare you into supporting disarmament.

wrong

they are propaganda films designed to increase the effectiveness of nuclear weapons

they do this by increasing the deterrence factor of nuclear weapons, and since thw true purpose of nukes is deterrence, they thus increase the effectiveness of nuclear weapons
>>
>>994557
Square Leg was flawed for a number of reasons

but the biggest error made by movies like Threads is the rapid escalation that takes place
>>
>>992785
Not dying in one of the shittiest ways possible is a good argument against nukes.

Nukes also make war boring.
>>
>>996312
This
>>
>>996312
>Nukes also make war boring.
Romantics need to fuck off.
>>
>>996312
spoken like a true moron

CND would be proud
>>
>>992785
Real life is propaganda designed to support disarmament.
>>
>>996326
Jesus christ where do you fucking disarmament retards get off

nukes prevented ww3 and possibly ww4 in what world is that anything other than a good thing?
>>
>>996339
>where do you fucking disarmament retards get off
xvideos mostly.

>nukes prevented ww3 and possibly ww4
What a fucking inference. Actually, I prevented WW3 AND WW4, thank me for my service, asshole.
>>
>>994565
No, this is a fabrication invented by liberal shills, Nulcear war would actually be Greaaaat
>>
>>996339
A million world wars would be preferable to a nuclear war.

Besides, the longer nukes are around, the possibility of one being set off by an underhanded group increased to 1.
>>
>>994565
>>996355

>it'll be great
>it'll be the total annihilation of the human race

Hmm, it's almost like noone actually knows what it'd be like and it's probably somewhere in the middle.
>>
>>996357
This, you can't put genie back in the bottle, nuclear war is bound to happen one day.
>>
>>996291

Noone knows, not even the government planners who dream all these exercises and plans up.
>>
>>996364
>somewhere in the middle
>Nuclear war
You're right that no one truly knows but I'm certain it is closer to being the end of humanity than "great"
>>
>>996364
Fallacy of moderation
>>
>>996376
>>996389

>noone knows
>better skew it to the worst result possible. Pay no attention to who is doing the skewing or what they could possibly gain from doing so
>>
File: 1359672065526.png (203 KB, 528x528) Image search: [Google]
1359672065526.png
203 KB, 528x528
>>996423
Are you actually advocating for nuclear war?
>>
Inb4 retards arrive from k who believed oppenfaggots bullshit and tell nuclear war is not even bad
>>
>nuclear war won't be that bad

Are there actually people who think this?
>>
>>996542

Yes, clearly. It's either OTT politically motivated fear mongering hyperbole, or advocating for it, with no middle ground.
>>
>>996928

>won't be that bad
>complete end of humanity back to the stone age instantly people forget how to make bread and open tin cans

Pick one and only one apparently.
>>
We live in a world where an apocalypse seeking death cult controls a large area of the middle east, and where the worse elements of an otherwise benign religion could form a similar death cult. I do not feel comfortable with the idea that such death cults could get their paws on a nuke and do what they desire with it.

also o.op. left out Testament, QED: a guide to Armageddon, and 1998's WW3 (which is pretty based with it's slow escalation)
>>
>>996949

>a guide to armageddon
>armageddon

Yes, totally unbiased title there
>>
>>996967
not saying it isn't friend, also I left out countdown to looking glass

also here is ww3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCblCImmgu8

and here is countdown to looking glass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knSSUEdLcvg
>>
>>992785

Rubbish.

They don't make nuclear war seem bad enough, it would probably be worse than portrayed in those films.
>>
>>992825
pro gamer culture propaganda.
>>
>>996982
only if your some urban scumsucker
>>
>>996998
pal , all those silo's and bomber bases (you know, targets) are in rural areas, a rural area in a nuclear war may actually be worse off than an urban area
>>
File: 1409156129526.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1409156129526.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
There is nothing wrong with anti nuclear war propaganda. It reinforces the deterrence effect of nuclear weapons. It's what kept the Cold War from actually getting hot. And WW3 between East and West would have sucked.

The only "positive" outcome I could imagine at all would be nuclear weapons used in the Korean War so completely fuck China like MacArthur wanted and tilt the scales so much more in Allied favour to potentially end the cold war early on, but that's a lot of ifs and literally alt history speculation, so it's largely fucking pointless. Further more, this was before shit like the movies OP mentioned.
>>
>>996998
>live in rural area
>SHTF
>suddenly desperate city slick raiders all over your lawn

It's gonna be shit yo.
>>
>>996978
Is that really from 1998?

Almost looks 70s or 80s.
>>
>>997153
it's a German production, also a lot of the footage is from actual events in the 80's-early 90's
>>
>>997144
you're more likely to get hit then some of the city slickers
>>
>>997015
if you live in the US, sure
>>
File: Zizek-Trash-11-350x215.gif (12 KB, 350x215) Image search: [Google]
Zizek-Trash-11-350x215.gif
12 KB, 350x215
>>992785
every piece of media is some sort of propaganda for some sort of ideology.
>>
>>996281
even if the majority in your country, lets say Britain, support disarmament and goes forward with it, you'll still have Russia, China and the US with butthuge arsenals.
Now what?
>>
also let's have some early cold war atomic terror

"a day called X" 1957
the evacution of portland, oregon in lue of a nuclear attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueEl7A7KaHA

Atomic attack
a suburban family deals with nyc no longer existing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J3HOaU9E5U
>>
>>996998

I live in a rural area though, you know, where all the military targets are.
>>
I'm not really read on these sort of issues but disarmament seems like a pipe dream to me.

I doubt there will ever be a time in the future where humans as we are now will be able to trust one another enough to not hide a weapon as hopefully effective as the one we suspect the other guy of having.
>>
>>996542
Sauce please good anon
>>
File: edgy goths.jpg (321 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
edgy goths.jpg
321 KB, 1600x1200
OP, I remember being edgy once.
>>
>>994557

>comrade yuri, let us add aberystwyth to the target list?
>why comrade vladimir?
>the man at the donkey rides knows why

seriously, though. why?
>>
>>997541
reported to the HUAC.
enjoy prison, gommie.
>>
>>997546

To put another circle on the map so a civil servant can tick the "X bombs dropped" box.
>>
>>997541

Yes, it's edgy to call out politicised propaganda for what it is.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.