[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should I become a historian of early Islam/ adv
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 10
File: kaba.jpg (87 KB, 760x627) Image search: [Google]
kaba.jpg
87 KB, 760x627
Should I? How insecure a career path is academia in general? How easy would it be for a woman to balance raising future children out with being a historian? Any historians here to offer advice? thanks!
>>
Why are there so many women at colleges these days?
Why is the pay gap a big deal when men's salaries have been falling at a similar rate to the one at which women's salaries have been increasing, if we look at the past 20 years?
Tbqh 90% of my female classmates have been wannabe demagogues.
>>
Do it only if you have a sufficiently North African- or Middle Eastern-sounding family name, and marry a good man.
>>
>>991543
The pay gap is a big deal because it is a political tool to smash over people's heads. If you deny it matters or dispute its authenticity, you're a sexist. If you're not actively fighting for change you are probably a sexist too. In the eyes of the activists, I mean.

As for OP, the woman thing won't be an issue, almost every university you can think of will go out of their way to support maternity leave, and be as pro-woman as possible.

But it will be on you ultimately to make sure you can balance child-rearing and study and work. Some universities have day-cares, suitable family accommodation to rent, and are willing to be as understanding as they can be, but you still have to pay the fees and pass and shit.
>>
>>991543
hmm
Haven't a clue, son.

>>991552
I do have the first, and I guess I should prolly take marriage into account, although I am loathe to rely on that expectation.

I've been considering returning for one more year for a taught master's in computer science which my old university has offered to allow me to do despite an unrelated undergrad because of my previous academic record.
A job programming would offer as much money as I'd be willing to put work in for, and I could work from home making family life an option. I could probably travel anywhere, too given remote work is common in tech.

Yet the thought of programming 40 hours a week kills me a little inside, and there's nothing I'd rather be doing than reading/ writing history, usually.
>>
>>991584
oh, thank youanon
didn't see this
>>
>>991586
Why not just marry a rich man and study history on the side?
>>
>>991586
ugh my punctuation
sorry I am half asleep
>>
>>991593
>>991593
I want to marry someone I love ;-; Whoever that is might not be rich. I can't rely on that

I totally buy into that romanticized view of marriage developed in the West.

Also, I need to be an actual historian if I want people to take my arguments seriously, and because I want to publish to refute the drivel of pop historians like Tom Holland
>>
>>991533
Just be a mother, you'll have a better contribution to humanity than being a historian.
>>
>>991604
but...
>>
>>991601
That's a good reason
>>
>>991607
Not an argument, desu
>>
>>991543
>Why is the pay gap a big deal when men's salaries have been falling at a similar rate to the one at which women's salaries have been increasing, if we look at the past 20 years?
Tbqh 90% of my female classmates have been wannabe demagogues.
What does that even have to do with OPs post?
>>
>>991617
OP is a grill
>>
>>991601
I should've guessed from the fact it was a 'women in academia' thread but you are clearly a troll.
>>
>>991601
Maybe you should take that year to get a degree in programming, and only then pursue your dream in history. Atleast you'll have a safe choice to fall back on if history just don't cut it.
>>
>>991607

>>991612
This, not an argument.

>>991601
Where are you from?
>>
>>991620
And?
>>
>>991621
are you joking? I am a troll for asking how easy it'd be to be historian of early Islam and to balance that with family life on a history board?

Feel free to not respond, then- why are you here taking the bait?

>>991622
yes, I am leaning towards that right now, but I really dislike programming and find it somewhat difficult.
>>
>>991621
Not OP and not a grill, but are people seriously this uppity against the idea of women that they have to get their panties in a twist even on an anonymous buddhist sand-drawing board? Is it because you've been rejected or laughed at by girls in high school and now you have to take it out on anyone out of spite? For shame.
>>
>>991625
There isn't anything else, Pretty Princess
>>
>>991630
> but I really dislike programming and find it somewhat difficult.
Then don't do it, study what you want to.
Do you live in New England?
>>
>>991636
I am not even a girl, mr supreme gentleman.
>>
>>991640
Could've fooled me ;)
>>
>>991630
Why did you go for programming in the first place, surely there's something drawing you towards it? And maybe these are the responsible life choices everyone has to make between fun & easy and boring & profitable. If you have some aptitude and experience in it and you know it'll make you money, it might be the better choice. Just have it as a skill to fall back on, can't really hurt ya.
>>
>>991533
As the poster above me said, keep programming as a useful skill to fall back on.
Whatever you do keep programming, even if it is contributing to some small project on github.
I don't know how well a career in history would pay, but I've seen women leave tech/programming to raise a family and the biggest complaint I hear from them is that they didn't stay in touch with programming when they came back for a job a few years after starting a family.
>>
you'd be outnumbered and outskilled by Muslim scholars who have all that shite memorized and your peers would probably shun you for being a woman
you'd probably never go past knowing as much as your local Imam so it'd be pointless
>>
>>991633
It's the Islam dindunuffin + I want to be an academic woman that I don't trust

It seems like the kind of idea that the kind of person that really gets off from trolling would keep in a little list of threads to post to cause a shitfest
>>
Why would you want to teach the history of a death cult?
>>
>>991601
>Romanticized view of marriage
Kek, enjoy getting cucked by your husband, you're setting standards that don't exist in real life
>>
>>991633
Pls leave reddit. In fact this whole thread has a reddit feel to it
>>
>>991533

I'm not in academia but I should imagine it is one of the most secure careers once you get on the first step of the ladder, it is potentially spending all that time and money studying up to PhD level and then potentially not being able to secure a job at a university that is the problem.

Public sector is also usually pretty good and generous with flexible working, maternity leave etc for mothers.
>>
>>992262
The real first step of the ladder is getting a permanent position in a department though. There's plenty of shit in between that and a PhD and I mean that in the most scatological sense possible
>>
>>992301
This. Academia jobs are extremely hard to get and universities are increasingly turning to adjunct teachers (read: wage cuck labor) because there is such a glut of people joining academia thinking they can all make it as professors that they can pay students peanuts without putting them on a tenure track. You also have to magically be publishing like mad all the while.
>>
>>992301

Interdasting, that's even worse than I thought. Do you have do ass kiss in temp positions for a few years after your PhD to secure a shot?
>>
>>992336
Not a few years. You'll be forty by the time they consider you
>>
File: 1460275634468.jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1460275634468.jpg
25 KB, 480x360
>>991533

History major here

>How insecure a career path is academia in general?

I would agree with others here that you should be sure to have a wide range of skills and talents which you can use to make money besides a history degree. As a historian, you will mostly be spending your time lecturing, teaching and writing books for money. Having an extra skill to fall back that is more useful in everyday life like maybe something in agriculture, programming or engineering can help. For one, you can use the money to fund your schooling with less reliance on aid. Secondly, when you hit those slow periods in your academic career which will inevitably come, you won't find yourself in as much need of lowering yourself to lecturing at less than credible institutions who just bring you in cause you're cheaper than a more respectable figure in academia. Thirdly, it just makes you feel better about yourself even if you don't really need and prevents you from becoming a snobby intellectual who thinks cause you've read some obscure literature that you're too good to work like everybody else.

>How easy would it be for a woman to balance raising future children out with being a historian?

Not too hard if you have a husband to support you. I know that might sound chauvinist, but it's the truth.

>Any historians here to offer advice?

As far as Islamic studies goes, there are Islamic Studies scholarships which are given to Muslim and non-Muslim students by Islamic charities

http://www.collegescholarships.org/scholarships/muslim-students.htm

Also, for those thinking that non-Muslim academics who specialize in Islam aren't respected by Muslims, that's a joke. If you have an original or innovative way of looking at things and aren't just spouting memes or denigrating the religion, Islamic scholars and religious leaders do take notice. Edward Said wasn't a Muslim and his book Orientalism has had one of the biggest impacts on Muslim intellectual discourse.
>>
>>992412
>who just bring you in cause you're cheaper than a more respectable figure in academia.
Hey, I've gotten to learn from some very knowledgeable & qualified people on the cheap because their lives were on a down turn. Don't ruin that for future generations.
>>
>>992412
Said's guide to whitey's evil mind games is as original as it gets, of course.
>>
>>991601
>I want to marry someone I love

Love isn't real. You'll learn that after you marry a man who doesn't make enough money to support your 21st century narcissistic female delicacies and you'll leave him.
>>
Depending on how society evolves, it could become either very dangerous or dangerously politically incorrect or both to be shedding too much light on early islam.
>>
>>991621

What a misogynistic shitlord.
>>
>>992573
...also specializing in a region where you're barred from visiting, either officially or simply due to war-torn anarchy, seems strange.
>>
>>992678

I hardly think you are barred from visiting most Islamic countries or that the majority of them are war torn, try and see a little bit more of the world.
>>
>>992686
Well, non-Muslims aren't allowed in Mecca. That's one.
>>
>>992694

Mecca is not a country and non-Muslims are allowed in Saudi Arabia so no that is not one. And I said most, obviously, for example Libya and Syria are war torn at the moment. One or two is not "most".
>>
>>992686
AFAIK Saudi is off-limits to foreigners unless they have a work visa. The holy cities to all non-Muslims even with one. Although it probably doesn't matter too much since they've gone out of their way to destroy all historical sites connected to early islam.

Syria, Iraq, and Yemen would also be very relevant to early islamic studies. Enjoy your trip.
>>
>>992767

Cherry picking. I've been on holiday to multiple Islamic countries, virtually every middle-class person in Britbongistan thinks nothing of going to places like Egypt or Morocco or Turkey on holiday, it is a completely normal thing. I have mates that have just been backpacking around Indonesia. My sister has just come back from Dubai.

I was challenging the idea that the entire Muslim world is either off limits or war torn, which is clear bollocks to anyone who has done any holidaying or travelling, and you aren't going to prove it is by cherry picking countries at war.
>>
>>992736
Areas highly unsafe for foreigners:
>all of Syria
>all of Yemen
>Southeastern Turkey
>Sinai
>Egyptian interior
>all of Iraq
>all of Libya
>much of Sudan
>Bahrain
>all of Tunisia
>all of Chad
>all of Mali
>all of Mauritania
>Gaza
>interior of Algeria
>all of Lebanon besides Bruit
>all of Somalia
>much of Eritrea
>effectively all of West Africa with a significant Muslim population
>Eastern Kenya
>muslim Caucasus
>all of Afghanistan
>muslim Western China
>most of Pakistan

...plus Westerners are effectively bared from Saudi Arabia and Iran. And I'm probably forgetting a bunch. The muslim world really is a complete clusterfuck, and getting worse by the day.

Where exactly are you supposed to research early Islam?
>>
>>992813
Yes, there are some places you can (still) go. I've quite enjoyed the UAE and the Swahili coast. But seriously, the fact that I'm a RealTraveler™ makes me more aware than most how the areas that are no-gos for foreigners is constantly spreading.

Wasn't too long ago that Lamu (Kenya) was a hot travel spot: now it's a complete no-go. And it seems to be creeping down into Tanzania; Mozambique is probably next. Much of North and West Africa have been shut down the past few years: wasn't long ago Western tourists were snapping photos at sites in Mali and Syria where now ISIS conducts mass public executions. Pakistan is becoming almost entirely a no-go, and Bangladesh seems to be going down the same road. Muslim areas in Burma, Thailand, and the Philippines are no-gos. Malaysia and Indonesia (Aceh excluded) seem to have mostly avoided the Islamist wave, but who knows if thats permanent...

Basically, the only Middle Eastern muslim countries where you can go and travel freely and securely anymore seem to be Oman, Jordan, and the UAE. That's a short list of largely empty desert countries.
>>
>>992947

What a load of shit. Tunisia is unpopular at the moment after the terrorist attack but I would happily go on holiday there just like I would Paris or Brussels. The idea Pakistan is off limits apart from the tribal regions is a joke. I'm not sure why I would want to but Muslim Western China can probably be visited fine if the commies let you. My brother honeymooned in Kenya. And there are dozens and dozens of of countries you have left off your list when unless you are trying to move the goalposts you are trying to prove the entire Islamic world is off limits.
>>
>>993019
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/tunisia

There was a guy in the Tunisian military who'd post regularly on some board (forget which), with stories of patrols against islamist infiltrators / insurgents. It's no joke there; government is holding on, but it's really no place for a vacation anymore.

re: Pakistan, it's much beyond the NWFP/tribal areas. AFAIK basically all of Baluchistan is a no-go.

re: Kenya, unless things have changed there's a curfew over much of the East and of the country, and horrific islamist attacks have become a regular occurrence along the Somali border.
>>
>>993006

I'm not a 'real traveller' all inclusive family breaks on a hotel for me.

And you are both over exaggerating, cherry picking and moving the goal posts.

No one has come close to showing the whole Muslim world is off limits.

Oh and someone claimed Saudi Arabia was off limits without a work permit earlier.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/destinations/middle-east/saudi-arabia
>>
>>992947
This is such bullshit
>>
File: pNDJustFalafelNov12.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
pNDJustFalafelNov12.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>992736
>Mecca is not a country and non-Muslims are allowed in Saudi Arabia so no that is not one. And I said most, obviously, for example Libya and Syria are war torn at the moment. One or two is not "most".

It's more difficult for a non-muslim without an invitation visa (i.e. business trip) to enter Saudi than it is to enter North Korea.

If you have Israeli stamps in your passport it is nearly impossible. I grew up in the Middle East and had to have a separate supplement passport page for Israeli stamps.
>>
File: Visa_policy_of_Saudi_Arabia.png (43 KB, 1425x625) Image search: [Google]
Visa_policy_of_Saudi_Arabia.png
43 KB, 1425x625
>>993064
Saudi Arabia is AFAIK the only country in the world that doesn't issue tourist visas. The best you can do is get a hajj visa if you're a Muslim and they pick your name out of a hat or something.
>>
>>992947
>...plus Westerners are effectively bared from Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Are you stupid or just misinformed?

Saudi Arabia has set up separate compounds which are like luxurious mini-cities for American military, Aramco employees, teachers and others You probably would live better there than whatever shit hole at home you live in. There are certain parts where non-Muslims are barred, but in the places where they are allowed, Westerners usually live pretty comfy. One of my sociology professors knew a guy who went to live in KSA in the compounds for non-Muslims, and the guy said he was sad to leave cause there's like no crime and everything was clean and cheap.

Iran, despite the stories of hikers being imprisoned under suspicion of being spies, is actually pretty open too. Ask anyone on /int/ who knows someone who went to Iran, they all say the same thing, that it's fun and Iranians are really hospitable. Most of the "death to USA" stuff is just rhetoric and a lot of Iranians tend to differentiate between USA and Americans. For them USA just means our government or social order, which they associate with imperialism and all that jazz, but for the most part, they generally like Americans, especially when they've come to spend their money. As long as you have no ties to Israel or the US government and aren't affiliated with any designated terrorist groups, Iran is pretty open. A lot of people on /int/ have gone there and gotten laid.
>>
>>993075
Quality post.
>>
>>993095

You have to buy yourself in essentially, like via tourist companies.
>>
>>993098
Everyone knows Westerners can work in Saudi Arabia if they're invited. The point is you can't visit there for pleasure.

re: Iran, I looked into an Iran trip a few years ago. Some people get around the bureaucracy by getting a transit visa and limiting their stay to a short time, but IIRC a Westerner needs to be on a fully guided tour to get a visa.

Shame since otherwise sounds like it'd be a nice place to travel.
>>
>>993099

He's not wrong though.
>>
>>993119
I typed that list up from memory. Tell me where I'm wrong.
>>
>>993093

htttp://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/09/countries-difficult-visas-travel/403267/

>Saudi Arabia was truly tough. I tried, from 2000 to 2009, without success, or even explanation for my failure, to secure a tourist visa to the Desert Kingdom—though at the time the Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities had no history of granting tourist visas to non-Muslims. Because I had to get in to complete my quest, I worried that I might have to convert to Islam, memorize the Koran, study with a mullah, attend a mosque, and forget I was an ultra-liberal Jewish atheist.

>This became especially frustrating in 2011, when I was in Bahrain, a quick drive over the King Fahd Causeway to Saudi Arabia. After I failed yet again to get a visa, an unusually candid Saudi consular officer finally told me why. He said, in essence: “Look, we have lots of oil money, so we don’t need your few tourist dollars. We have 2 million Muslim pilgrims visiting every year to do the Hajj”—the annual pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca—“and they are no trouble. Some of our conservative citizens do not want non-Islamic Westerners coming and stirring up our people with liberal ideas. And we certainly do not need the bad publicity if you are hurt or killed in our country by some radical.”

>Finally, I found a well-connected tour agency in Michigan that arranged for me to reach Saudi soil disguised as part of a team studying under the guidance of an archaeology professor and expert on the tiny clay counters used for keeping financial accounts in the Middle East some 7,000 years ago. My own finances were $9,000 weaker after airfare and tour arrangements.

This is obviously a special case but for those of you saying entrance is easy for anyone, that's simply not the case.
>>
>>993122
If I won the lottery this is what I'd do with my life.
>>
File: stalin.gif (3 MB, 320x176) Image search: [Google]
stalin.gif
3 MB, 320x176
>>993093
>>993122

Also "unsafe" is relative. I lived in the UAE pre and post 9/11 and attended an American high school with armed guards. We'd get regular emails from the embassy advising us to vary routes of travel, make sure you're not followed, have emergency plans, etc but the UAE is still among the safest gulf countries.

>>991533

As for OP, I'm not a historian but can tell you the demand for Arabic translators is less than Chinese, both Mandarin and Cantonese. Whether there is a correlation I cannot say.

If you're considering History education I know many teachers who travel by international school hopping, i.e. signing 2 or 3 year teaching contracts at American schools in different countries.
>>
>>992947
holy shit you must be genuinely retarded
>>
>>993197
Which of those places would you be comfortable visiting/traveling unescorted as a Westerner?
>>
>>993197

I mean pretty much every ministery of foreign affairs, travel agencies etc recommend higher than usual caution or avoiding traveling all together against the MENA
>>
File: atlantic-travel-safety.png (232 KB, 570x400) Image search: [Google]
atlantic-travel-safety.png
232 KB, 570x400
>>993242

for example
>>
>>993244
>>
Only Egypt and Bahrain don't have state dept. warnings on his list.
>>
>>993247
>>993244
>Iran

Iran is police state, as long as you don't break their retarded laws you're probably safer here than in let's say Russia.
>>
>>993247
This looks out of date / incomplete. Tunisia, Egypt, and Sudan would surely have travel warnings.
>>
>>993257
I assume the worry is that the Iranian government decides to take your hostage as some political ploy. Same reason travel to North Korea is highly advised against, even though you're basically immune from crime.
>>
>>993257
>being safer than in Russia

That really isn't saying much.
>>
>>993244
This map has a lot of bullshit
>>
>>993296
Somewhat. Russia certainly isn't more dangerous than Brazil, South Africa or Nicaragua.
>>
>>993306
I assume the rating is for the sketchiest part, not the country on average. i.e. in Russia's case the caucasus.
>>
File: 1458587273424.jpg (105 KB, 327x480) Image search: [Google]
1458587273424.jpg
105 KB, 327x480
>>993276

>look up the UN Human Development Index
>Both Iran and Saudi are considered more developed countries than Russia

What is wrong with Russia? Is it like one giant trashy white ghetto?
>>
>>993242
The French has a more precise map, updated for this year.
>>
>>993323
Being developed has nothing to do with being safe. The US is a pretty unsafe country even though it's extremely rich.
>>
>>993274

To be fair, Iran has every reason to be worried about spies entering the country and murdering their nuclear scientists
>>
>>993306
Russia and Brazil are too big to generalize. Southern Brazil is certainly safer than the Caucasus. But the bullshit is not limited to that.
>>
>>993333

you're safer in KSA & IRI than in Moscow, to be honest family
>>
>>993324
I thought Colombia was supposed to be pretty OK these days?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

If a country's rate per 100k is higher than 3, it's a violent shit hole.
>>
>>993324
This is seriously fucking useful for travel (much more than broad generalizations about a country). Thanks.
>>
>>993355
Algeria and Saudi are full of shit with their statistics.
>>
>>993324

Still MENA stands out. Doesn't change that.
>>
>>993367
I agree, I just felt posting this was necessary for the map posters.
>>
>>993121

I already did. >>993019
>>
>>993324
I thought honduras had the highest rates of homicide in the world, along with some other central american countries.

Also, w-whats wrong with Tokyo?
>>
>>993247
to be fair, the U.S. state department is from an American perspective. Europeans I bet wouldn't have any problems traveling in these places
>>
>>993207
most of these places are fine, foreign ministries only promote that because they don't want to take responsibility. The risk of death is SLIGHTLY higher, but an overwhelming majority of travelers will not get kidnapped or killed. If you go on /trv/, I see people talking about their travels in most of the countries you mention, including:

southeastern turkey, tunisia, mauritania, bahrain, egyptian interior, gaza (Europeans would probably treated fine there, though I'm american.) , Lebanon, West Africa (muslim parts too), muslim caucasus, pakistan and western China.

the fact you single out muslim areas too just makes you look /pol/tier
>>
>>991681
>being interested in studying Islamic history == Islam dindu nuffin

Please leave. I am on the verge of a sperg out
>>
>>993207
>Which of those places would you be comfortable visiting/traveling unescorted as a Westerner?
Damascus and coastal Syria
SE Turkey
Egyptian interior
Iraqi Kurdistan
Tripoli
Most of Sudan
Bahrin
Most of Tunisia
Parts of Chad
Southern Mali
Ouagadougou
Much of the algerian interior
All of Lebanon bar arsal and maybe parts around Baalbek and a few neighbourhoods in Tripoli (I've actually been to Lebanon last year and it's fine)
Somaliland is safe
Most of W. Africa
Eastern Kenya
Western China
Parts of Pakistan

Also westerners aren't barred from KSA or Iran. I know people who've been to both.
>>
>>993847

What is it with this board lately? It feels like we haven't been able to even discuss islam or islamic history without somebody coming in and throwing a bunch of strawmen all over the place.
>>
>>993871
A literal raid by /pol/
>>
>>991533
Look up Patricia Crone. She seems to have done fine as a female historian of early Islam.
>>
>>993871
We're being raided right now
>>>/pol/71158711
>>
>>992532
>>992412

>typical undergraduate banter
>>
>>992947
>Bahrain
>Iran
This is bullshit.
>>
>>993098
Anyone can visit Iran without any issues. Beautiful people, super safe, cheap as hell, great architecture and history. Its a remnant of an ancient eastern empire and one of the first civilizations. Some parts of their sea in the south are actually widely popular tourist destinations.
There have been many tensions, but Persian people are not only harmless and hospitable, but curious and well educated. For some reason, also really happy with their country despite many of them missing the liberal regime. But things just work well now for them. People still visit Egypt despite it being a lot more dangerous than Iran.

Although if you do visit it, don't even think about having parties that include alcohol, hit on women and especially men and if you're a woman cover your face. The experience of visiting Iran isn't your typical experience. You will spend a lot of time in your hotel room as there is very little you can do after dark. You will also spend a lot of time sight seeing, just chilling, trying cheap food and getting approached by the curious and helpful locals, often being invited for dinner, your tickets, food, drinks paid for and so on. There is no "fun" to be had in typical sense. I'm sure young people in Teheran do have fun, but I'd still be cautious even if they invite you to a party including alcohol. You can get whipped for that if discovered and witnessed. But I had a lot of fun just talking to Iranian people my age and older with the cup of tea, playing games and taking walks. The amount of their curiousity is astonishing. I can say I genuinely like Iranians. The way they look, they way they think of themselves, they way they see the world and all. Unlike Indians and Arabs, they are really civilized. I'm still not sure what I think about the Turkish, but Iranians are much finer sort of people and their culture is more refined.
>>
>>991533
islamic history is probably one of the hardest, so many things have been burred because of taboo and various tribal conflicts.
but if its your thing go for it.

as for the family part, i can't help you with that.

good luck
>>
>>992947
why can't /pol/ just stay in their own shitty board ffs !
>>
>>993694
>I thought honduras had the highest rates of homicide in the world, along with some other central american countries.
If you stay out of dangerous areas and don't walk around alone showing valuables you'll be fine in most of central america.

>Also, w-whats wrong with Tokyo?
That's Fukushima.
>>
>>992947
>Bahrain
>literally the best middle eastern cunt
>>
>>993853
You're a braver man than I (and I'm currently gearing up for a year long solo threadbare motorcycle trip through the Americas, and have solo backpacked/traveled much of the world):

>Damascus is literally a warzone currently, with different sections under government/opposition control; and ISIS right on the doorstep (was just on the news they kidnapped - to no doubt torture and kill - a load of workers on the outskirts of the city). The coastal strip is relatively safe, but there are still islamist opposition forces within spitting distance, and Turkey could start bombing any time. As a foreigner you'd be a prime target for kidnapping.
>I agree that SE Turkey (excluding the active war zone right at the border) wouldn't be too bad, but an insurrection could break out at any time; Turkey is getting less stable / more authoritarian by the day.
>ISIS/Islamists from Libya cross the Egyptian border pretty much as they please. They'd love to put you on LiveLeak. You'd be nuts to travel Egypt away from the Nile.
>wasn't long ago ISIS was threatening to overrun all Kurdistan. There's also the looming threat of Turkish intervention. Not saying it's off limits, but it's very precarious.
>in Tunisia/Mali/Algeria, etc. while I agree you'd *probably* be fine if you were careful where you went, there remains a real risk you'll be in the wrong place at the wrong time, somebody will grab you, and you'll end up in an orange jumpsuit on CNN. Absolutely not worth it.
>agree that Lebanon should be fine, but of course the situation remains precarious: Syrian opposition/ISIS along the border, threat of shit starting up again with Israel in the South. But yeah, if you stuck to the coast would be fine.
>>
>>991533
>How insecure a career path is academia in general?
I can't speak for history, but academia as a whole is a very very very risky venture. even if you land a tenure track job post-phd, it will hardly be liveable for a long while. my philosophy mentor described going through phd studies to get a tenure job as equivalent to moving to NYC to try and be on broadway. but, of course, if you're the sort of person who would always regret not trying to be on broadway, it's worth trying if you can develop fallback options.
>>
>>995704
>E. Kenya is lousy with al shabab, who specifically want to kill/kidnap Westerners. Totally not worth the risk.
>as has been pointed out above, no tourists allowed in Saudi; ways around that but will cost you a fortune
>Iran requires most Westerners (Anglos at least) to be on guided tours; no independent travel

The focus on Muslim areas is justified, since the big risk as a foreigner is being kidnapped/killed by Islamists. Nowhere else in the world, no matter how crime ridden, do people see killing foreigners as an end in itself (instead of just a byproduct of robbing them).
>>
>>994760
"Someone has an opinion different than my own, better call him the /pol/ bogeyman!"

Many of the places mentioned are currently unsafe to travel to, with arguably a few places safe to travel to such as Xinjiang. Most even have travel warnings due to unrest.

Also, before you try telling me to "go back to /pol/, I don't browse that board ever. I'm just sick of people using it as a constant bogeyman. I see more anti-/pol/ shit posts than actual /pol/ shit posts, and usually it's directed at comments people just disagree with.
>>
>>994720
Last I checked (a couple years ago researching a trip) Americans, Canadians, and Brits were required to be on fully guided and planned tours the whole time in Iran. Quick Google suggests this is still the case.
>>
>>993244
>dont even think about canada
>>
>>993324
I'd heard Papua New Guniea is supposedly one of the most dangerous places you can travel. Guess not?
>>
>>993324
What's going on in that one tiny part of Japan?
>>
>>996552
That's Tokyo, I believe
>>
>>996557
It looks too far north. And why would Tokyo not be safe?
>>
>>996552
Meltdown exclusion zone.
>>
>>996564
Looked at Google Maps. It appears to be Iwaki
>>
>>996570
>>996564
>>996557
>>996552
see >>995014
>>
>>991533
If you do that, I suggest you to actually learn the Arabic language and be able to read and write arabic fluently. Vast material remains untranslated in different texts ranging from Shi'ite or Sufi section and there are lots of academic pursuits still available, especially in the West.

Becoming a professor of the Arabic language and Islamic studies will land you a high-paying academic job with not that much competition I would suppose.
>>
OP here, thank you for all the replies!
Can't respond to all of them but I liked reading through the thread

>>997653

Really? I was wondering about the primary source availability- I will look into this. Is there a specific type of Arabic I need to learn?
>>
>>991621
You do realise you have to be 18 to post on this site, right?
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.