[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worst torture methods of history.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11
File: video3.webm (1 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
video3.webm
1 MB, 960x540
>>
scaphism
>>
File: i6to91bqkiasytgkizpo.jpg (39 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
i6to91bqkiasytgkizpo.jpg
39 KB, 636x358
Was it real?
>>
File: rothenburg_ob_der_tauber-45.jpg (416 KB, 1032x1600) Image search: [Google]
rothenburg_ob_der_tauber-45.jpg
416 KB, 1032x1600
>>991409
>>
>>991409
Iron maiden? Yeah i think so.
>>
>>991409
>>991412
Seems impractical in function. IIRC it could be just a Victorian fabrication.
>>
>>991409
No
http://www.museumofman.org/medieval-imposter-iron-maiden/
>>
File: BRAZZERS.jpg (168 KB, 635x440) Image search: [Google]
BRAZZERS.jpg
168 KB, 635x440
Worst as ineffective or painful?
>>
>>991409
yes, but they never used it. So it functioned purely for intimidation
>>
>>991407
What would someone have to do to deserve this?
>>
>>991407
and fucking john green tried to say that it would be better if greece was conquered by persia
>>
>>991488
There is very little evidence for this torture method except from Greek sources. Most likely Greek propaganda against the so called "barbarians"
>>
>>991402
Asking the victim nicely. Very ineffective method, probably the worst
>>
>>991454
No they never existed. They were made up hundreds of years after they were supposed to have been used
>>
>>991407
>The Soviet KGB used a similar but nonlethal technique for extracting confessions: a naked prisoner was placed in a cramped wooden closet containing hundreds or even thousands of bedbugs, and left there for several hours, suffering considerable pain from the insects' bites.
>>
>>991504
Possible, but there are several such sources.

It's clear that if it was real, it was a punishment meted out to those who seriously ticked off the ruler. It obviously wasn't the main method of execution.
>>
>>994191
Well, in perspective it's horrible, but not THAT horrible; I expect worse from the KGB and this seems the tamest.
>>
Uh... Ling Chi?
>>
File: 1455228211772.jpg (85 KB, 599x447) Image search: [Google]
1455228211772.jpg
85 KB, 599x447
Being alive.
>>
>>994918
Omg please tell me that you are okay
>>
I remember reading somewhere about how the Mujahideen used to torture Soviet captives by making several cuts through the middle of one's penis, then opening it like a flower. Probably made up but if real would be one of the most painful methods of torture ever.

Being hanged, drawn and quartered also sucked.
>>
Flayed alive. Good God how horrifying
>>
>>991402
What's going on in the webm?
>>
>>991402

you know what would be horrible? If you had a bad hangover forever. Like literally nothing you did made it even a little bit better.
>>
File: Rohrbach-verbrennung-1525.jpg (1 MB, 2369x2376) Image search: [Google]
Rohrbach-verbrennung-1525.jpg
1 MB, 2369x2376
>>
>>995565
seriously what the fuck
>>
>>995565
>>995667
Found it
http://dedware.tumblr.com/post/142891225428/this-is-what-life-is-you-are-strapped-inside-a
>>
>>995666
It's meant to suffocate you?
>>
>>995679
ah, well he's right of course
>>
>>995565
>>991402
>That Stirner Portrait
>>
>>994905
Yeah, using insects is one of the legally sanctioned methods of enhanced interrogation in the United States.
>>
>>995688

On the contrary, unlike regular burning at the stake that generally involved death by suffocation, the "ring of fire" roasted the condemned to death.
>>
White torture like the Iranians use. You basically lock someone up in a white cell and deprive said person of all audiovisual stimulation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_torture
>>
reading reddit or tumblr
>>
Lingchi
>>
>>991488

No he didn't I recently saw that episode don't be upset that he didn't smother his face in ancient Greece's ass. The Persians deserve fair balanced and accurate historical representation
>>
While technically rather an execution method, scaphism has to be the most fucked up one:
"The intended victim was stripped naked and then firmly fastened within the interior space of two narrow rowing boats (or hollowed-out tree trunks) joined together one on top of the other with the head, hands and feet protruding. The condemned was forced to ingest milk and honey to the point of developing severe diarrhea, and more honey would be poured on him to attract insects, with special attention devoted to the eyes, ears, mouth, face, genitals, and anus. In some cases, the executioner would mix milk and honey and pour that mixture all over the victim. He would then be left to float on a stagnant pond or be exposed to the sun. The defenseless individual's feces accumulated within the container, attracting more insects which would eat and breed within the victim's exposed flesh, which—pursuant to interruption of the blood supply by burrowing insects—became increasingly gangrenous. The individual would lie naked, covered from head to toe in milk, honey, and his own feces. The feeding would be repeated each day in some cases to prolong the torture, so that fatal dehydration or starvation did not occur. Death, when it eventually occurred, was probably due to a combination of dehydration, starvation, and septic shock. Delirium would typically set in after a few days."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism?wprov=sfla1
>>
>>996491
Reading the thread before posting pays off sometimes.
>>
>>996198
Doesn't actually sound that bad
>>
>>996516
>Since I left Evin, I have not been able to sleep without sleeping pills. It is terrible. The loneliness never leaves you, long after you are “free.” Every door that is closed on you ... This is why we call it “white torture.” They get what they want without having to hit you. They know enough about you to control the information that you get: they can make you believe that the president has resigned, that they have your wife, that someone you trust has told them lies about you. You begin to break. And once you break, they have control. And then you begin to confess.[19]

Sounds like a fun adventure
>>
>>996522
Hey man I'm not saying it's enjoyable or something i would ever want to go through but it's much better than having needles forced under your nails, or the skin flayed from your fingers, or being stretched at the rack, I could go on and on.

The psychological impacts of white torture sound similar to a bad case of PTSD- not fun, but honestly not the end of the world
>>
>>996526
You can lose personal identity after long periods of time
>>
File: himmer4.jpg (7 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
himmer4.jpg
7 KB, 194x259
>>991402
The Checa prisons.
Just a room designed for you not to be able to rest in any way.

Good taste is in simplicity.
>>
>>991409

No. Are guy writing a book on medieval torture did a study of them a few years ago. There's something like 297 iron maidens in museums, castles and provate collections that he could find, 296 were 19th century fakes. The one "real" one was a 17th century cabinet that had the spikes added at some later date and may originally have just been an elaborate version of the stocks.
>>
>>996605
So basically it was just some really claustrophobic torture?
>>
>>991535

youd be suprised

most effective information extraction methods rely on interogation skill and technique, phisical abuse just serves to soften people up and make them submit
>>
>>996526
People tend to underestimate psychological fuckery greatly, physical pain is actually easier to withstand.
>>
>>996626
Not this Anon but I think "good cop bad cop" is a good example of that. Pretty much everyone knows about it yet it's still used widely because it's just that effective and hard to counter.
>>
>>996561
Are modern interior designers former checa agents?
>>
>>996561
Got other pics of these?
>>
marriage
>>
>>996561
The one of the left doesn't look that steep, surely you could rest on it somewhat comfortably?
>>
>>995666
This.

That particular method ensured the victim was slowly roasted instead of suffocating or his head exploding.

Currently reading the faithful executioner. Interesting stuff, but written by a guy who lived after most of the wacky execution and torture methods were banned.

Surprising to read how much mercy they actually showed to criminals.
>>
>>991450
>ineffective
Considering that most ancient torture methods were just particularly brutal executions rather than a means of extracting information, I'd say they were all effective.
>>
File: A08-07.jpg (101 KB, 650x665) Image search: [Google]
A08-07.jpg
101 KB, 650x665
>>996758
They are all pretty much the same.
>>996776
You'll roll to the floor when your body relaxed because sleep.
>>
>>996561
>Checa prisons

I googled this and got no results, are you sure that is the correct spelling?
>>
>>996844
But eventually you'll just pass out and sleep on the floor regardless of discomfort, right? Apart from being driven insane from lack of sleep this can't kill you?
>>
>>996850
>cheka

the shit in early soviet russia.
>>
>>996856

Apparently sleep deprivation is lethal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation

http://io9.gizmodo.com/can-you-die-from-sleep-deprivation-1684235719
>>
>>996516

You start having hallucinations, you can't keep track of time due to the lights being on 24/7. You don't even see another human being for months or years. Just imagine being that alone.
>>
>>991402
evisceration seems to be the edgyest.
they remove your organs one by one till you die
>>
>>996850
Try Cheka. It's the Russian spelling.
>>996856
They were designed for you not to.
It can kill you. But they were not made to kill people, but to break them. Torture at it finest.
>>
>>996621

That one example yeah. Rather than locking your head/hands between some boards in the market square so everyone knows what you did, they locked you inside a big cabinet instead.
>>
>>996850
Or try in Spanish: carcel de la checa, prision de la checa, celda de la checa, etc.
>>
>>995661
Underrated
>>
I had read that one method of torture applied by Afghans on Russian prisoners was to dissect the leg to the bone, then apply electrical shocks to the bone which means an unimaginable amount of pain, such that it could literally drive insane.
Not sure about authenticity though.
In the Last Legion by Valerio Massimo Manfredi a rebel is executed (by a Saxon warlord) by being hung and slowly lowered down to a yard where hungry dogs would eat him alive, a pretty awful way to die.
Being flayed alive is also devastating, the pain is unbearable.
Boiling alive also is very underrated, very awful way to die.
>>
>>991409
>>991412
The real torture is that someone has to spend hours cleaning it out after every use. Impractical as fuck.
>>
>>997213
That first one is incredibly fucked up.
>>
>>996760

when you're right you're right
>>
>>996897
Before you die of sleep deprivation in a cell like that, you'd fall asleep in a painful position.
>>
>>991402
>Worst torture methods of history

Living in the 21st century.
>>
>>996516
I've gone in a sensory deprivation tank a few times, I could always get out if I wanted, but being forced seems like shit
>>
Crucifixion?
>>
>>997213
>the Last Legion
My nigga
>>
>>998601
Er, no, freedom actually.
>>
File: 1024px-GeorgheDoja.jpg (392 KB, 1024x1096) Image search: [Google]
1024px-GeorgheDoja.jpg
392 KB, 1024x1096
He was captured after the battle, and condemned to sit on a heated smoldering iron throne with a heated iron crown on his head and a heated sceptre in his hand (mocking at his ambition to be king). While he was suffering in this way, a procession of nine fellow rebels, who had been starved beforehand, were led to this throne. In the lead was Dózsa's younger brother, Gergely, who was cut in three despite Dózsa asking for Gergely to be spared. Next, executioners removed hot pliers from fire and forced them into Dózsa's skin. After pulling flesh from him, the remaining rebels were ordered to bite where the hot iron had been inserted and to swallow the flesh. Those who refused, about three or four, were simply cut up which prompted the remaining rebels to do as commanded. In the end, Dózsa died on the throne of iron from the damage that was inflicted while the rebels who obeyed were let go without further harm
>>
>>998643
Fucking barbaric. Absolutely uncivilized.
>>
>>998643
Damn
>>
Putting the Barney song on loop.

Alternatively, 24/7 exposure to either Celine Dion or Britney Spears. (Their music, I mean.)
>>
>>998658
>uncivilized

On the contrary, that sort of violence is the epitome of civilization.
>>
>>998709
I think they actually do this at gitmo. Sometimes using rock or hip hop music too. I guess it's worse when you consider the fact that music is haram for fundamentalists.
>>
>>991458
Regicide
>>
>>998736

Did.

Picked up the Barney song thing from The Men Who Stare At Goats. That book was interesting reading.
>>
>>998709
One night I was exposed to some shithead Spanish guitarfucker music in a bar for 2-3 hours because reasons, and I hate EVERYTHING about the Spanish to this day after that.
>>
File: latest.png (630 KB, 852x524) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
630 KB, 852x524
>>991402
being flayed
>>
>>996844
>>996561

Couldnt you just lay down on those brick things? It would be uncomfortable but not horrible
>>
>>998643
Hungarians are sub-human beasts
>>
>>996335
everyone's always on john green's nuts for being goofy feelgood leftwing
>>
File: 1435360915852.png (990 KB, 1568x877) Image search: [Google]
1435360915852.png
990 KB, 1568x877
>>996627
Depends on the sort of person you are, I think.

I'm a pussy when it comes to physical pain, but I think I could withstand psychological torture more easily, particularly because the sorts of things I've put my mind through don't come easily to most people.

I dunno.
Perhaps I overestimate myself.
>>
Interesting.
>>
Bumping for... interest
>>
On 1 March 1757 Damiens the regicide was condemned "to make the amende honorable before the main door of the Church of Paris", where he was to be "taken and conveyed in a cart, wearing nothing but a shirt, holding a torch of burning wax weighing two pounds"; then, "in the said cart, to the Place de Grève, where, on a scaffold that will be erected there, the flesh will be torn from his breasts, arms, thighs and claves with red-hot pincers, his right hand, holding the knife with which he committed the said parricide, burnt with sulphur, and, on those places where the flesh will be torn away, poured molten lead, boiling oil, burning resin, wax and sulphur melted together and then his body drawn and quartered by four horses and his limbs and body consumed by fire, reduced to ashes and his ashes thrown to the winds"
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.