[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the best future history documental there is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 22
File: sieg kaiser reinhard intensifies.jpg (481 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sieg kaiser reinhard intensifies.jpg
481 KB, 1920x1080
Is this the best future history documental there is?
>>
>New
>Galactic
>Empire
>>
>>990031
Not sure what you mean by documental, but these are my favorite sci-fi spec fic books.

Foundation series
Mote series
The New World (Frederick Turner)
>>
I've never seen this, but are the group on the right the good guys? They all seem happy and fresh faced while all of the left group are sullen and condescending looking
>>
File: lex luthor.jpg (10 KB, 208x243) Image search: [Google]
lex luthor.jpg
10 KB, 208x243
>>990039
Because the way it gets narrated feels like a history documental.
Also there are some episodes that are complete in-universe history documentals

The deeds of some people never change, is it?
pic related
>>
File: sieg.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
sieg.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>>990041
There are no good guys. Grey versus grey. Left side are the main protagonist (more screentime) and actually are a enlightened autocracy that wants the better for the common people and shit on the high nobility.
Right side are also good guys that get shat on because their republic is some liberal corrupt piece of shit hell
>>
>>990031
It's garbage and is a horribly written and horribly overrated anime. Almost every single sci-fi live action show is better.
>>
>>990041
>I've never seen this, but are the group on the right the good guys
They're supposed to be to any western viewer since they defend democracy but they lose so I guess they aren't.
>>
>>990057
why
>>
File: bittenefeld.jpg (89 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bittenefeld.jpg
89 KB, 640x480
>>990041
The series is set up so that neither side is "good."

The left side is a galaxy-wide pseudo-prussian empire starting to crumble under corruption similar to the roman empire while the right side is like a small 20th century-esque democratic state whose parliament is constantly infighting and cannot make progress due to political gridlock and, again, corruption.

One hero of the story (left center) is an Alexandrian figure who rises in power through masterful tactics, unbounded ambition, and the unbeatable loyalty in his men, and begins reforming the empire into a prosperous nation while dumping the old elite onto the street.

The other hero (right center) is a pacifistic historian drafted into the army who utilizes his knowledge of military history to read his opponents and end conflicts with minimal damage to his home fleet. At a terrible disadvantage to the vast size of the empire, he fights against the empire to preserve republican democracy

Both sides are portrayed as equals, with dictatorship shown as a way to enact powerful changes for good while democracies are mob rule, and with democracy shown as a way to protect citizens from being stomped upon by oppressive tyrants. Neither side is shown to be correct in the end, although people may tell you otherwise.

I would absolutely recommend it over any other anime. I have never seen a series that surpasses it.
>>
I would say Orxy and Crake but that's more like the present desu.
>>
>>990071
Why? Ok lets forget about what it's TRYING to do, lets just concentrate on simple shit like what it actually is. A story, an animated one.

That's fucking it, get off your pretentious pedestal and just concentrate on that simple fact.

It's a story in a visual medium and as a story in a visual medium it sucks.

It's 110 episodes long and that wouldn't be bad if they actually had anything to say in those 110 episodes but they don't. The narrative is meandering, it takes way too long to say anything and it overuses exposition, an inexcusable sin in a visual medium.

When you're writing a novel it's understandable, in fact in fantasy or sci-fi it might even be expected, but in a TV show? No, fuck off. Especially dedicating several episodes to actually showing us fake documentaries. Fuck you, that's not cute or neat that's just lazy incompetent writing that couldn't think of anything more novel so they actually animated fake documentaries for the show.

They don't know how to use allusions. Allusions are used by skilled writiers to let the audience know that something big is going to happen. Hacks however use allusion and foreshadowing and then just ignore it, citing some pseudo intellectual bullshit about how their fake out is part of the way they express themselves and the deep message about how terrorism is unproductive NEVER MIND THE OTHER GROUP YOU ALREADY HAVE EXPRESSLY FOR THAT PURPOSE. It isn't ok, you don't talk about a character and tell the audience over and over again how he's a mastermind that has tricks and plots coming out his ass and then have it all amount to nothing. You could have eliminated the entire Rubinsky plot line, attributed his attacks to the Terraists and saved us all around 30 episodes but they didn't because they can't write for shit.
>>
>>990041
To be fair, while the others are right, the OP image is pretty skewed in that the ones on the right have more heroic protagonists with just one gaping asshole thrown into the mix (ironically the guy closest to the word 'heroes'). Meanwhile the collection on the left is nearly half full of the petty villains of the Imperial side of the conflict.
>>
File: reue.jpg (61 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
reue.jpg
61 KB, 960x720
>>990126
Shit opinion m8.
You just have a very short attention span
Just the OST (or lack thereoff because it being all calssical pieces) sets it appart from the rest
>>
>>990126
>Especially dedicating several episodes to actually showing us fake documentaries.
It's called filler for when the show ran out of money in the middle of a season.
>>
>>990148
>a lack of an OST makes it good
oh this is a new one.
>>
>>990126
The entire world is boring. Not only do the writers not know what a Galaxy is, they have no idea at all how to world build. Every planet is Earth and every planet has humans. No exceptions. Everything is earth, everything is human, in the entire Galaxy, which for some reason is two blobs joined by two corridors, everything is recognizable and boring.

The Architecture is boring, every city, town and house, all of it is just copy-pasted human architecture. There's no innovation, no imagination, it's just boring. Even the clothes is just reused modern or historical clothing with the notable exceptions of both horrible looking Imperial uniforms.

With only a few exceptions the battles are all boring and repetitive. Their attempts to wow the audience in a few of them with gore or in-cockpit fighter sequences, while appreciated, only serve to highlight the monotony of all the others.

The animation is also bad, and it's noticeably bad at several instances especially when they try to animate fights.

Last but not least is Julian Mintz, what a fucking little twat. Not only is he uncharismatic as a character and poorly written to boot the ending they came up with for how he "wins" has got to be the biggest asspull I've ever seen in any show that took itself srsly. "I fainted in front of the emperor so now he respects me", fuck that.

>>990151
So because they ran out of money they animated new things?

>>990148
>You just have a very short attention span
That's your response you pleb? I watched the entire show. It sucks, get over it.
>>
File: 1449078309597.gif (930 KB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
1449078309597.gif
930 KB, 200x133
>>990145
>>990079
>>990061
>>990055
Thank you family.
I figured that it was probably more balanced but just the OP image gave a feel of "Goodies Vs. Baddies"
>>
>>990177
I didn't say id didn't hava a OST, just fe ORIGINAL composed songs like the various anthems. The rest is classical music that someone fits the pretentiousness perfectly and makes it good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRI5eWWZIpo
>>
>>990031
Babbies first anime space opera.
>>
>>990126
>>990181
Also this anon is not wrong.
>>
>>990210
Anything better?
>>
>>990246
Macross, Gundam.
to be honest, anime doesn't have a whole lot of space operas in it in the first place.
>>
>>990246
In anime? Not really because it's an underused genre.

On TV?

see:
>>990057
>Almost every single sci-fi live action show is better.
>>
>>990246
Battlestar Galactica is leagues better. Fuck, Star Wars is better.
>>
>>990181
>>990126
I would say the biggest thing about LotGH that alienates people from it is that it makes very few attempts to get emotional responses from viewers, and basically every conflict and plot point of note is set up from an intellectual point of view. You are shown the scale and watch as the pieces are set upon it, weighing one side in favor. This can indeed be boring to watch, just as reading a history book can be boring. Where the show is strongest is its scale and its consistent execution.

I must say that getting hung up on scientific inconsistencies such as unnavigable space and the plane-like dimension of space battles is your own fault. You can pick apart anything in its genre similarly and complete accuracy usually undermines the freedom to tell a story that is anything more than self-serving.

Saying it wasn't enjoyable is one thing, putting other, perhaps truthfully better, shows above it is another, but claiming ANYTHING would be better than this show is just hyperbole. You cannot dismiss the genuine appreciation from other people because it didn't resonate with you
>>
>>990181
>So because they ran out of money they animated new things?
They made an episode that was cheap, using mostly just one or two voice actors and lots of pans of static images without much animation. Usually other shows put in a recap episode here splicing together old footage and saying nothing new, but LotGH used that chance for some lore.

It's to save up money to animate the finale or final arc of the season. For example, the history episode with Julian as he heads for Earth saved the studio enough money to spurge on the siege of the Terraism temple a few episodes later.
>>
>>990301
>scientific inconsistencies such as unnavigable space
That was not one of my major points and I think I was clear when treating it as an aside.

>and the plane-like dimension of space battles is your own fault.
Didn't mention it.

>You can pick apart anything in its genre similarly

Those weren't the main things I was picking at they're just easy for you to focus on because it takes minimal effort to shove that criticism aside. I very clearly had a much greater problem with the inept writing and horrible art direction. Because again, as much as you want to now trumpet it as some sort of pseudo documentary it isn't.

It's a show.

It was always a show.

It will always be a show.

And as show, as an animated story, it's pretty damn bad.

>claiming ANYTHING would be better than this show is just hyperbole

Show me where I said that you hack.

>>990307
Ok, I buy that. Their funding is still their problem though so fuck them if they couldn't get enough. I get the reason, but it doesn't excuse it.

>the siege of the Terraism temple a few episodes later.
Wasn't it the episode directly after that? Meh, doesn't matter it wasn't particularly impressive but I'm willing to chuck that up to the 80's.
>>
>>990404
I never liked logh but why can't a show be a pseudo documentary?
>>
>>990407
Why can it? Why can a show that fails to be a good one now get passed off as a pseudo imaginary documentary about events that never happened?

I suppose it can, there's no law against it but it seems that having to resort to that because you can't actually defend against the criticisms raised against it is a pretty dick move. You also probably shouldn't call it a space opera anymore and call it animated sci-fi imaginary pseudo-documentary from now on.
>>
Are you faggots really attempting to have an intellectual discussion on an anime right now
>>
>>990407
because its not.
something like FLAG is a pseudo-documentary, where the creators deliberately have narration and direction that enhances a "documentary" feel.
LoGH only does this for a select couple episodes, its a space opera first and foremost.
>>
>>990301
>I would say the biggest thing about LotGH that alienates people from it is that it makes very few attempts to get emotional responses from viewers
You realize this is, like, a basic thing a story is supposed to do...right?
>>
>>990414
Shut up faggot, serious discussions are happening right now.
>>
>>990414
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFRIIIIDAY NIGHT MUTHAFUCKA!
>>
I thought it was a great show. Good pacing, good dialogue, nice characters, saved the animation for when it really needed it, could be very shocking at times, had some decent philosophy behind it and good politiking.

I wish the right side of OP's image had a few more stand-out members, but overall, nothing wrong with it. Very good, would recommend to people I'd think would be interested in its historical themes and space operas.
>>
>>990422
I respect your opinion but I disagree with all of it.
>>
>>990031
Wasn't that bitch in the top left with the purple hair around for like, one episode? Does she really need to be in the pic?
>>
File: ergo_proxy_267_1280.jpg (302 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
ergo_proxy_267_1280.jpg
302 KB, 1280x1024
While we're on the topic of sci fi anime, how is Ergo Proxy?
>>
>>990431
Never seen it.
>>
>>990412
>you
>you
>you
Are you so upset that you can't even read anymore? I said I didn't like it.
>>
>>990442
The first you was directed at you, the second was more of a general you. And no I'm not mad.
>>
>>990431
I thought the setting and art style were absolutely fantastic, the characters were pretty good too. Unfortunately it suffers from a few plot issues. Personally I would consider it one of my favorite anime but I admit it's not a masterpiece. Either way, would recommend
>>
>>990404
>Ok, I buy that. Their funding is still their problem though so fuck them if they couldn't get enough. I get the reason, but it doesn't excuse it.
It's really not their fault. Almost every single Japanese studio gets funded like this. They don't get paid for every episode, they get a budget to spend for the entire season, basically a fraction of what an American studio would get for a really cheap Nickelodeon show, and have to stretch it out as much as they are able. At least the documentary episodes are a much better fit thematically than what you normally get for full season shows of that length. You could have gotten nothing but a synopsis of the whole season that didn't do anything but tell you what you already knew happened.

Also, different shows for different folks. Clearly you didn't get as much enjoyment out of this as others, but do you really think there aren't lots of people out there who do think it's a good show based on very different criteria?
>>
>>990431
COME AND

SAVE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

also radiohead
>>
>>990703
>It's really not their fault

Gaining appropriate funding is entirely their responsibility anon regardless of what excuses you cook up. It's their show. it's their responsibility. They couldn't sell it well enough, they couldn't change someone's mind, they couldn't hack it, for whatever reason you want. It's still their responsibility.

>different shows for different folks.

That's fine, but that doesn't make my criticisms any less valid. I'm not being an absolutist here anon, if anything you are by making the assumption that I consider my view the only possible one.
>>
>>990773
>It's their show. it's their responsibility.
It's really not. That's not how anime funding in Japan actually works. The studio only gets the contract after all negotiations on budgeting and profit distribution is already hashed out by parent companies and producers.

>That's fine, but that doesn't make my criticisms any less valid.
It makes them just opinionated preferences instead. Thus far, many criticisms raised are aspects of the show that many people genuinely enjoy, with other criticisms like budgeting and the decision to pad out their budget on a documentary-filler episode being invalidated by not understanding how their system works and assuming the studio was responsible and negligent.
>>
>>990431
Loved the plot idea but it was ruined with cliches and ditching aforementioned idea for some weird shit later on without even mentioning it.
>>
>>990818
>It's really not.
It really is you just really don't want it ot be because then they're victims.

>That's not how anime funding in Japan actually works.
Is there a law that kept the studio's funding at that specific amount? If not,then yes it was their responsibility. You can go over people's heads, you can negotiate with your parent company you can raise hell, if you don't get it it's still your fault. Getting proper funding for your project is your responsibility. Sorry anon.

>It makes them just opinionated preferences instead.
My point about allusions being improperly used and crappy world building wasn't an opinion, everything being boring was and you're free to disagree with me about it I would just hope it's with more than "well that's just, like, your opinion man", but you can just stay there if you want, that's fine too.

>being invalidated by not understanding how their system works
I understand how their system works you need to understand these systems aren't written in stone and company policies aren't laws, natural or otherwise.
>>
>>990818
>It's really not. That's not how anime funding in Japan actually works. The studio only gets the contract after all negotiations on budgeting and profit distribution is already hashed out by parent companies and producers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9XW6P0tiVc

The other anon is right you know.
>>
>>990843
>It really is you just really don't want it ot be because then they're victims.
Look, you can't just show everyone you have no idea how anime gets funded in Japan and then say these kinds of things.

>You can go over people's heads, you can negotiate with your parent company you can raise hell, if you don't get it it's still your fault
Forget about anime, I'm not sure you grasp how business in general works in Japan.

>>990852
>The other anon is right you know.
In no way, shape, or form besides "If this were a Western animation studio, they could ___" is he right.
>>
>>990431
Shit.

Had a good first episode but otherwise it's really crappy.
>>
>>991012
>it's not their fault because companies are mean and CEO's are bullies

Are you done anon or are you going to throw in a schtick about how they have to get drunk every night and every meeting is ritualized? Clearly you're digging in your heels to excuse their failure to procure additional funds so what's the point in arguing?

You believe they were powerless victims of a corporate bureaucracy they were totally incapable of manipulating and I think they were inept and/or lacking in negotiating skills. You're clearly not going to budge at all and simply continue trumpeting how ignorant anyone that disagrees with you is and how I just don't understand it so by all means continue calling them victims. It's no skin off my nose.
>>
>>990852
>Let me tell you about Japanese business practices
>Using this American movie scene about 80's real estate agents

wew lad
>>
>>991029
>Clearly you're digging in your heels
No where to go when you're right. So yes, we're done here. Some people don't like LotGH. And apparently some people cruise through life with big opinions on things they don't understand either.
>>
>>991034
I took it as more of an ability of people to sell themselves and ideas to the sceptical and being determined to succeed in a hostile environment regardless of the pitfalls and obstacles in your way, since that's what the scene is about and what I implied in the posts that anon said I was right about... but your interpretation is valid too.
>>
>>991042
That's nice, but like the other guy said it's got shit all to do with anime in Japan.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05
>>
>>991041
>No where to go when you're right.
Except away, Good night anon, hopefully you grow up one day and realize your failures are your own and you can't blame corporate policy for not having people skills.
>>
>>991049
These are general guidelines not laws anon. A corporation is made up of people, people can be convinced and people can be talked to. If the show is your responsibility and you don't convince the people writing the checks that they stand to profit more by giving you more money, you're the one that failed.
>>
File: logh (97).jpg (359 KB, 640x2400) Image search: [Google]
logh (97).jpg
359 KB, 640x2400
>>990057
>Almost every single sci-fi live action show is better.
I disagree.

LOGH provides a more Clausewitzian perspective of warfare, dealing with war in its entirety. Most shows focus on the tactical side, as it is most entertaining to people, yet LOGH manages to give the viewer a sense of the scale in regards to the operational, strategic and logistic element that plays a role - not to mention the political side of it, which is always intertwined with the military action rather than being a completely separate entity as in many other shows. I find most science-fiction terribly boring, because it mostly works visually, focussing on tech-babble, exploring foreign worlds, meeting alien life-forms, ... - I am not too interested in that sort of thing. LOGH is atypical in the sense that it takes a very human conflict as it could have taken place in history into space. The theme of LOGH is that history repeats itself, and this theme is present throughout the show. Most apparently in the iconography, e.g. with the combat resembling 18th century field battles (which some people actually hold against it, failing to realise that this was a deliberate artistic choice), but also in the character Yang Wen-Li who excels at warfare precisely because he is an academically educated historian, familiar with the past and thus by that narrative capable of predicting the future. To someone looking for a more "traditional" science-fiction, LOGH may not have all too much to offer. It's very stingy with details, it doesn't let the viewer look into its intricacies. It keeps the functionality of technology hidden, it does not allow the viewer to understand how exactly their style of warfare works - and quite reasonably so, because it does not want to build a mechanical system, a "simulation" of a future with all its technicalities. It is much more /his/ than /sci/ related both in how it is presented and in regards to the subjects it discusses.
>>
>>991061
>exploring foreign worlds, meeting alien life-forms
That's the funnest part of sci fi.
>>
>>991052
>Except away
And no less right. Apparently now I'm an anime director and I'm just venting against Japanese corporate heads.
>>
File: logh (141).jpg (381 KB, 1590x1128) Image search: [Google]
logh (141).jpg
381 KB, 1590x1128
>>991065
As I said: it depends on what you're looking for. I can understand that someone who watches LOGH expecting regular sci-fi would be disappointed. However, it has other things to offer.
>>
Its like you compare grand strategy to not even to total wars but srpg.
Different types of show.
That aside there is very little simiar types of shows.
Crest/Banner of the Stars have some similar things.
Starship Operators try be one on much smaller scale.
There is also Gundam and Macros but theya re mostly action or small team scale oriented.
>>
>>991061
>The theme of LOGH
No offence anon and I don't intend to be provocative but I've heard a dozen interpretations on what the theme and moral of LOGH is.

You can take that as one of two ways:

Either that the source material is so rich it can be interpreted dozens of ways

Or that people just never know wtf they're talking about when interpreting the meaning of large works of fiction.

Since this is a continuing trend regardless of quality of work I tend to lean towards the latter, even if it makes me look like a cynic.
>>
>>991058
And real world practices trump both. Not like this is even a valid debate - if you didn't enjoy the documentary episodes then get out of my face and out of my /his/, /tv/-fag
>>
>>991081
lol'd at this
>>
>>991074

logh is great because of its ability to be a scifi show that is actually more a slice of life that explores the human condition.
>>
>>991085
Real world practices in business are always negotiation, manipulation, speaking and convincing. It's the same in Japan or India if it wasn't profit margins would shrink and no one would bother doing business. This isn't a cultural thing, it's a capitalism thing. How they acquire money might change, wanting money does not and convincing someone they stand more to gain by giving you money rather than withholding has no cultural barrier.
>>
File: logh_moralrelativism.jpg (818 KB, 955x3589) Image search: [Google]
logh_moralrelativism.jpg
818 KB, 955x3589
>>991081
>No offence anon and I don't intend to be provocative but I've heard a dozen interpretations on what the theme and moral of LOGH is.
I would argue that my interpretation is anything from far-fetched. LOGH isn't really the type of show that hides behind allegory - which is something I appreciate about it. It is very literal with its information and it's not afraid to make a point and put something hard and concrete on the table. This is no EVA where people interpret big things into what is likely more or less meaningless artistic choices.
>>
>>991098
>I would argue that my interpretation is anything from far-fetched.

As would hundreds of others about theirs even if it was the opposite of yours.

Simply implanting the seed of doubt in your readers anon.

Your interpretations don't necessarily have to mean anything and if your'e playing the odds they likely don't.
>>
File: 1386517393747.jpg (328 KB, 632x4748) Image search: [Google]
1386517393747.jpg
328 KB, 632x4748
>>
>>991104
>40 billion
>in whole galaxy
That seems odd.
>>
>>991103
Again: I don't know who you've been talking to, but LOGH is not the type of show where people come up with myriads of interpretations. It's a very literal show, which tells you precisely what it wants to say. It doesn't wrap it up in an audio-visual package. Some people hold it against the show, saying it wouldn't make good use of the medium, but I'm contesting this view in the regard that if you want to make a serious point without being misunderstood, you need to be literal.
>>
>>991096
Again, theory crafting. The link is your actual real world practice.
>>
>>991108
I've been talking to 4chan and your interpretation is not the only one I've heard is all I'm saying.

There's no need to get upset.
>>
>>991106

the entire galaxy was quite lowly populated if you watched the show. Only a few of the main planets had sizable populations and even then their populations were still small compared to Earth.
>>
>>991111
Name one other interpretation.
>>
>>991110
The link is one way of doing it, likely a very common way, likely an exceedingly common way, likely by far the norm. However business practices are business practices, they are not laws, they're not set in stone. These are still people writing the checks and people have brains and they can be reasoned with and they can be convinced. Surely you do not disagree with that.
>>
>>991112
I don't believe you realize how large a Galaxy is.
>>
>>991111
Why would I be upset? I'd love to hear those interpretations that stuck to your mind though that were vastly different from my own.
>>
>>991116
Irrelevant.
>>
>>991118
In LOGH the galaxy is only populated by humans and all inhabited planets are human settlements. The "main" planets of the factions are densely populated but most other inhabitable planets are barely populated.
>>
>>991114
>it was all about how Terrorism is ultimately pointless
>It was all just the Napoleonic Wars in Space and Reinhard was Wellington
>No you noob he was clearly Napoleon
>dumb asses! he Was Alexander I !
>The writers were obviously drunk during this one part
>it was all a dream after Yang was shot
>It's about race relations, the Alliance are SJWs
>>
>>991121
So you do agree with that.

Well ok, do you also agree that the show's director is a person with free will, a brain and the ability to speak to others and convince them of his viewpoint?
>>
>>991127
I actually remember that one from /a/.
>>
>>991127
>>it was all about how Terrorism is ultimately pointless
Not a different interpretation of the history-repeats-itself theme at all.

Arguments over inspiration, not interpretations

Memes don't count, anon.
>>
>>991135
>Memes don't count
They count every bit as much to the people that made them as your interpretation does to you.
>>
>>991127
These are not interpretations of the theme, they are ideas in regards to what historical characters may have influenced the writer. And they are not too far-fetched either, since many characters in LOGH share traits with historical characters.

These are quite obviously not serious.

>it was all about how Terrorism is ultimately pointless
And this I'd argue is not the central theme of the show, even if it plays a part.

In the end, it depends on how well you can justify your point and defend it.
>>
>>991138
If you haven't watched the show you're in no position to argue since you cannot evaluate how serious people were who came up with these. And the guy you're talking to is right - these are not serious interpretations.
>>
>>991138
>They count every bit as much to the people that made them as your interpretation does to you.

Considering I was there for the shitposting that was Yang's dying dream theory to specifically make joke parallels to the Ash/Squall is dead fantheories, no, they do not.
>>
>>991139
>These are quite obviously not serious.
The people that made them seemed quite serious.
>>
>>991143
I think it's more an issue of you not having watched the show and thus being unable to properly evaluate someone's point of view and perhaps you being a bit gullible.
>>
>>991139
>>991140
>>991141
Are you really suggesting that only your way of interpreting a piece of fiction is the only one? Did I die and wake up in /pol/?
>>
>>991145
If he's the same person arguing about universal business practices that trump reality on the ground, he seems to revel in applying vague theory to things he has no knowledge of
>>
>>991147
>Are you really suggesting that only your way of interpreting a piece of fiction is the only one?
That's a nice straw man that doesn't answer our criticism.
>>
>>991147
No, I'm saying that there are interpretations that are well-substantiated due to evidence within the show, and crackpot theories - many of them not even made in a serious fashion but in a joking manner for everyone's entertainment, often mocking other instances of odd interpretations of other shows in the process. Someone like you, who hasn't watched the show - and is apparently a bit gullible - is obviously unable to tell the difference.
>>
>>991154
>and is apparently a bit gullible
It could be autism, the actual kind.
>>
>>991145
Oh I never claimed I watched it.

I'm simply posting from the front page and pointing out your interpretation is not the only interpretation I've seen for this show.

Afterall there's thread about it on every board at least once a week.

Just seemed to me that in fiction everyone is constantly arguing about how their interpretation is the best.

When the reality is you're likely all wrong and have no clue what you're talking about.

After all, only the creator ever knows what he truly meant.
>>
File: zakupov.webm (3 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
zakupov.webm
3 MB, 853x480
Who /gundam/ here?
Does anyone else imagine historians in stories, years after the events of the story, having debates over what happened?
Also sage for not history.
>>
File: Reality hits the one year war.gif (3 MB, 252x194) Image search: [Google]
Reality hits the one year war.gif
3 MB, 252x194
>>991159
>Who /gundam/ here?
/k/ made me hate gundams, I can't take them seriously anymore.
>>
>>991158
>I'm simply posting from the front page and pointing out your interpretation is not the only interpretation I've seen for this show.
And I've told you that LOGH is not the type of show where people come up with all kinds of odd interpretations - at least not in a serious manner - because the show is fairly straight to the point. People may discuss whether a character has a point or not, but they don't generally try to interpret all too much into what's going on, simply because there isn't that much left to interpretation. It's a very literal show, and it's very often criticised for it. That is something coming from someone who has actually watched the show. And if you haven't watched it yet, I don't see why you are even arguing here, because all you're doing is make a fool of yourself in defending obviously not seriously meant ideas that were intended to amuse people who have already watched the show rather than provide some serious input.
>>
File: zeon.jpg (272 KB, 1100x309) Image search: [Google]
zeon.jpg
272 KB, 1100x309
>>991159
>gunda/m/
/pol/ with robots, without nigger. We always point zabis/anaheim/jewpiter etc as boogeyman.
>>
>>991166
>And I've told you
You've said a lot of things anon, none of them must be right.

> I don't see why you are even arguing here

Killing time until I have to leave.

> in defending

Not defending anything anon

I haven't even seen the show, they can't possibly be ideas I support.

You simply asked me to post ideas I've seen so I did.

Which you for some reason attributed to me despite acknowledging when asking for them that they weren't mine

And now you're getting upset again.

Why do you get upset on the internet anon?
>>
>>991177
Shut up fucking Zeek.
Bring back the Titans so we can gas you all again.
>>
>>991166
>LOGH is not the type of show where people come up with all kinds of odd interpretations
Except they do. Literally every piece of fiction has the same problem. Nigger, eyewitnesses observing the same fucking thing will disagree about what just fucking happened in front of them so your super special show is no exception.

Why the fuck is this shit even on /his/?

Why the shit are you people posting here?
>>
File: A.WyattSpacenoid.jpg (160 KB, 472x600) Image search: [Google]
A.WyattSpacenoid.jpg
160 KB, 472x600
>>991184
dumb feddie scum
>>
>>991180
>Which you for some reason attributed to me despite acknowledging when asking for them that they weren't mine
This never happened
>>
>>991194
Well some thoughtless anons did.

I'm blaming you for it anyway.
>>
>>991197
>Well some thoughtless anons did.
That never happened either.
>>
>>991191
Here comes morning /his/ grumpy as always ~
>>
>>991180
I've presented you evidence by citing the show and I've told you precisely why what you regarded alternative theories are not actually alternative theories.
You're in no position to judge since you haven't watched the show yourself, you have nothing to contribute and all you say is entirely baseless.

Since, judging by your posts, you're not a particularly smart person either there's little to gain from this discussion, so we might as well end it here.
>>
>>991201
Of course it did.

Now you're just being disingenuous.
>>
>>991206
You're talking to a different person and you're still wrong.
>>
you people need to go back to /a/
>>
>>991206
It's not like one could prove this or anything.

If only there was some kind of way to quote posts on 4chan to prove these kinds of accusations and not end up eating one's own foot when caught lying.
>>
>>991205
Strictly speaking there's a significant difference between adapting a historical event into another genre.

And having a motif of repeating history.

While superficial similarities are present.

They're still two distinctly different messages.

>>991209
No I'm not you silly billy.
>>
File: zeek_liberate.jpg (87 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
zeek_liberate.jpg
87 KB, 750x600
>>991184
>implying I'm a zeek
If only Revil Shogun still around you will get institutionalized.
>>
>>991132
>>991121
So I take it you finally got what I was saying?
>>
>>991221
>Strictly speaking there's a significant difference between adapting a historical event into another genre.
>And having a motif of repeating history.
If you were less of a moron you would realise on your own that these are not exclusive things. In fact, if you put a historical event into a future setting, you're already exercising "repeated history". Not to mention that you can adapt historical events while at the same time following a different central theme - the two things have nothing to do with each other.

Given the fact that you haven't watched the show you're in no position to argue though, it's impossible for you to evaluate mine or any other position, so I don't know what you're doing in here.
>>
>>990031

Why the fuck is this here?
>>
File: images-83.jpg (19 KB, 485x303) Image search: [Google]
images-83.jpg
19 KB, 485x303
>>991212
Agreed. I love anime and LoGH, but this thread is plainly not /his/
OP, you could have at least posted an anime that's directly related to history.
>>
>>991229
>so I don't know what you're doing in here.
Fishing for (you)'s probably. Look how thirsty he is in the post above you.
>>
>>991236
inb4 I was only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>991229
>the two things have nothing to do with each other

Exactly silly billy now you're catching on

Which is precisely why your dismissal of that as not being a valid secondary interpretation is so very strange.

It's almost like you're predisposed to dismiss any other opinion.

Clearly since the two don't necessarily have to be related

And it could very well be that the theme of repeating history was unintended or a simple product resulting from the initial inspiration that served as the basis for the story.

>it's impossible for you to evaluate

I haven't been evaluating my dear friend anon, simply pointing out interpretations of fictional material is never as airtight as the man with the interpretation wished they were.
>>
>>991236
>>991237
So do you finally understand what I was saying about how producers and directors of anime aren't bound to business practices as if they were magic spells that couldn't be broken and how procuring funding is still ultimately their responsibility? Or you know, you can just keep being bitter and call me names.
>>
>>991240
>It's almost like you're predisposed to dismiss any other opinion.
Not all opinions are created equal, especially not those of sophists who never actually watched the show.
>>
>>991254
But they're not my opinions my dear dear anon.
>>
>>991253
...Fag
>>
>>991256
You believing they were serious interpretations is your own opinion.
>>
>>991258
Yeah, that's cool too.
>>
>>991253
>Or you know, you can just keep being bitter and call me names.
Why bother after winning.

>>991256
>>991261
Now that's desperate samefagging.
>>
>>991253
Damn, the autism is just off the charts.
>>
>>991264
>Why bother after winning.

So you DON'T agree that the show's director is a person with free will, a brain and the ability to speak to others and convince them of his viewpoint? Is this an accurate assessment of your views?
>>
>>991266
Dubs don't lie. Would still like a straight answer though if that isn't too much.
>>
>>991269
>Validate me!
Your premise is flawed and irrelevant, and that hasn't changed 50 posts later.
>>
>>991240
>Which is precisely why your dismissal of that as not being a valid secondary interpretation is so very strange.
I never dismissed this. I said it's not the central theme of the show. And if you actually read my post (>>991139) attentively rather than being an idiot, you would have realised this.

>I haven't been evaluating my dear friend anon, simply pointing out interpretations of fictional material is never as airtight as the man with the interpretation wished they were.
The show literally starts with "At any place, at any time, the deeds of man remain the same". What you're doing is spout meaningless platitudes. Certainly, no interpretation is completely air-tight, and the author could have meant something entirely different, e.g. in actually failing to get his point across. But nobody here claims absolute certainty to ones interpretation. What we're doing here is say that a well-substantiated interpretation, backed by evidence, holds a greater authority than some crackpot theory that lacks said evidence. You on the other hand, not having watched the show, are unable to evaluate the verity of an interpretation. You cannot put arguments in context. And there is absolutely no need to remind people of something everyone already agrees with - that there is a rest of uncertainty. And what's most important is that this amount of uncertainty - which you are unable to estimate due to not having watched the show - does not make one interpretation as good as the other. There are credible interpretations and incredible interpretations. You can't tell the difference between one and the other, so you should get the fuck out rather than argue in matters you obviously don't know anything about. You wouldn't criticise a book review without having read the book.
>>
>>991253
To me it looks like you got told like a bitch.
>>
>>991278
>some crackpot theory that lacks said evidence
Let's not forget, one or more anons in this thread admitted to pushing said crackpot theories for fun.
>>
>>990431
starts out promising, and even continues to be interesting based on the relationship and sci-fi atmosphere, up until the god damn game show episode, and then everything goes down hill irreparably.
>>
>>991277
My premise is that you want to remove any responsibility for funding from the people responsible for the shows creation and I contest that this viewpoint is flawed. I further contest that your rationale for doing so inherently presupposes a lack of free will on the individuals involved and is overdependent on adherence to customary business practices with no regard to the faculties of any of the individuals involved in the social process that is business.

I simply think that responsibility for acquiring funding should not be laid upon the feet of some immaterial practices but squarely into the laps of those that failed to successfully advocate for more money. If you disagree I'd like to know why you feel that the individuals are not responsible for their action/inaction in regards to procuring funds despite having the physical ability to do so and not being legally limited to what does or does not constitute customary business practices in the nation where this occurred.

That's all.
>>
This thread is 8 hours old.
This place has no mods
>>
>>991286
I did but I'm drunk, or hungover, how many hours have to pass after your last drink to count as being hungover?.
>>
>>991292
>My premise is
meaningless banality, more so with embarrassing repetition.
>>
>>991308
You're not addressing any of my points simply accusing it of being cliché. It was pretty straightforward, you can simply respond and defend yourself.
>>
>>991312
They're not points worth addressing because they've nothing to do with anything besides vague theory on what might be possible and not on real practice. No point in bothering with defense against sophistry.
>>
File: women.jpg (23 KB, 568x430) Image search: [Google]
women.jpg
23 KB, 568x430
The series had the best presentation of women in the future.
>>
>>991319
There's nothing deceptive about it. It simply assigns responsibility to those responsible for their own actions. You haven't yet disagreed with any of my statements so I fail to see what exactly you're arguing against here. The men are responsible for following practice and failing to acquire more money by doing so. It's quite simple.
>>
>>991234

Don't mention that abomination, please. It does not need to be posted anywhere.
>>
File: onlythedead1.jpg (21 KB, 379x256) Image search: [Google]
onlythedead1.jpg
21 KB, 379x256
>>991164
>he posts on /k/
>>
File: oh_wow.jpg (34 KB, 499x445) Image search: [Google]
oh_wow.jpg
34 KB, 499x445
>>990046
>>
>>991106
Galaxy-scale wars that last 150 years generally don't allow for a high population
>>
>>990126
>visual medium
stopped reading there
>>
File: (4).png (354 KB, 725x684) Image search: [Google]
(4).png
354 KB, 725x684
This is a really interesting political strategy/ cat and mouse type space battle story and I don't have any complaints, it's the kind of thing that interests me. Objectively I think it was well done and certainly really well thought-out. The philosophical questions that begin to pop up are worth thinking about and the characterization of the main protags and the characters around them was definitely well-done. Was good to watch while I was in the military as well, because the interaction between the characters seems plauseible.

Also very refreshin IMO that it isn't some sci-fi with cartoonish elements, for example, there are no aliens.
>>
>>990041

The only real "bad guys" in LoGH are the Earth cult who are cartoonishly evil.

Also both sides have really fucking dumb incompetent commanders who ruin everything (Fork or whatever his name is comes to mind, fuck that guy).
>>
File: autist_true_kommando.jpg (179 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
autist_true_kommando.jpg
179 KB, 900x1200
>>991164
>>991537
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/a/140216397
Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.