[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: you choose two lost books from antiquity to resurface
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Chaldean.jpg (26 KB, 448x500) Image search: [Google]
Chaldean.jpg
26 KB, 448x500
If he could choose only two books from antiquity to survive the cataclism (namely, Abrahamic barbarity), Proclus, the Neoplatonic Philosopher and last head of the Platonic Academy in Athens, had no doubts: he would choose the Timaeus by Plato and the Chaldean Oracles. Unfortunately, the Oracles were "lost", together with a huge number of books by the Neoplatonists themselves.

Seeing as we're living in similar times, when once again the gloomy shadow of Abrahamic darkness is seen crawling from its desert homelands, I find that this is a relevant topic.

I for one would like to see the extant Chaldean Oracles myself and as for the second choice I am divided between the lost commentary by Proclus and the Harmony of Orpheus, Pythagoras and Plato with the Chaldean Oracles by Syrianus

Honorable mention:

Abaris the Hyperborean's prose theogony and Pentemychos by Pherecydes of Syros.
>>
This is easy, I'd pick the Thebaid and the Diliad.
>>
Why not just make an anti-Islam thread instead of vaguely talking about Abrahamic religions as if they're all the same? You're clearly talking about Islam, the one Abrahamic religion that's really expanding.
>>
De philosophia, by Marcus Terentius Varro
Ab Urbe Condita Libri, by Titus Livius
>>
The Satyricon
>>
>>989958

The histories of Renatus Profuturus Frigeridus and of either Priscus of Panium or Olympiodorus of Thebes.
>>
The travelogue of Pytheas of Massilia
>>
The 27 Maya Codices (would be cool to actually know something of their society).
Maybe De Architectura by Vitruvius.
>>
>>989958

>Seeing as we're living in similar times, when once again the gloomy shadow of Abrahamic darkness is seen crawling from its desert homelands, I find that this is a relevant topic.

Is that what you call going to the middle east and bombing them?

You've already exposed your ignorance and /pol/ishness. pls go.
>>
>>989958
The lost works of Ammianus
>>
>>989958
The scripture/holy book/whatever of the Proto-Indo-European religion.
>>
>>989958
Aristotle's lost book on commedy
Any lost play by Classic Greek tragedians
>>
Heraclitus work, I believe it is 'On nature'.

Actual work by Aristotle that wasn't all notes. Cicero praised his style a lot, which, sadly, is not available to us anymore.
>>
>>992198
On Nature is actually Parmenides' lost book, but Heraclitus has a lost book too. Which one do you mean?
>>
The lost parts of Tacitus' Histories and Petronius' Satyricon
>>
>>992216
Heraclitus, definitely. I can't remember the title now that you point out I got it wrong in the first place.
>>
So many lost books :^(

Why did you go for the library of Alexandria, Christ and Muhammad fags? She dindu nothing wrong...
>>
think they had a book in there about aliens?
>>
>>992057

The De Architectura has survived though?
>>
>>992253
Inb4 the Book of Enoch.

Not lost though. Just not canonized even though quoted in the canonical Gospels.
>>
>>992302
kek there was a lot of good stuff in the apocryphal works not added to the bible.
My favorite is that one where Peter is going around a village and "stealing" all the women who end up following him to learn about Christ
>>
File: feminist_qnnvdk.jpg (37 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
feminist_qnnvdk.jpg
37 KB, 720x405
>>992504
>women
It's always the fucking women.
>>
>>989958
in praise of boipussi by aemelius canno
hemaphrodite chronicles by pseudo apollonius
the bacchanal orgies by false dmitri

and so on and so forth
>>
The lost parts of Livy.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.